ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Cowboys or the Eagles anticipated both corners to be gone as quickly as they were, but when it happened both teams made the moves that was best for them leaving the Giants holding the bag. Neither the Eagles nor Cowboys got the guys they wanted, but I feel like both picked up solid players if they use them properly. 

I was thrilled with the board till surtain got picked lol. I didn't want smith but, definitely the right pick

• Like 1

So, we started out at 1st rounder (#6), 2021 3rd round pick.

Thus far, Howie turned that into Devonta Smith,  a 2021 4th round pick, 2022 1st round pick

What a HAUL.  Fantastic job here by the front office.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This pick just made too much sense didn't it. It was the right way to go and I'm glad Howie went that way. 

It was the right way to go and he knocked it out of the park by getting it done while still setting us up with premium picks next year...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh yeah he's not a safe pick. The size thing is a legit concern for sure but I think he's going to be a really special nfl WR. Just my gut feel. This kid is a baller.

If Reagor  and Hurts can take a jump in their second year the Eagles potentially now have an offense that can win on all levels. I’m still concerned about the defense though so I’m hoping the Eagles address the defense over the next couple of days. Get a corner, and another DE. Would INT mind seeing linebackers and another safety. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

If Reagor  and Hurts can take a jump in their second year the Eagles potentially now have an offense that can win on all levels. I’m still concerned about the defense though so I’m hoping the Eagles address the defense over the next couple of days. Get a corner, and another DE. Would INT mind seeing linebackers and another safety. 

Only way Howie is gonna save this draft is to draft Hurts back up in the 2nd!!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

So, we started out at 1st rounder (#6), 2021 3rd round pick.

Thus far, Howie turned that into Devonta Smith,  a 2021 4th round pick, 2022 1st round pick

What a HAUL.  Fantastic job here by the front office.  

Honestly I didn’t expect Howie to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Now I have praised him for how he’s cleaned up some of his mistake, but some of these things seemed to clean up through no fault of his (like Wentz wanting  out) but he’s truly set this team up nicely for 2022. I have no problem ripping Howie when he deserves it, but here I gotta give him props. He’s done a good job. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Only way Howie is gonna save this draft is to draft Hurts back up in the 2nd!!

Here we go again. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

I watch a ton of SEC football and saw many Bama games last year, and this kid is legit.        A bit frustrating that the Eagles don't have a WR room with Smith, Jefferson, And Metcalf, but Roseman got it right this time and didn't overthink it for a change, and got an extra 1st next year. 

I know that no one wants to hear this, but I hope we don't look back 2-3 years from now regretting not picking Fields, but these boards might have been permanently fried had that been the pick.

If we had DK, we wouldn't have been in the position to draft Smith. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

I’m not so sure. The way the quarterback position imploded last year and as poorly as Doug was coaching I don’t think DK would’ve mattered. The offensive line was pretty putrid for most of last year. You can’t throw to DK when you don’t have time to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not so sure. The way the quarterback position imploded last year and as poorly as Doug was coaching I don’t think DK would’ve mattered. The offensive line was pretty putrid for most of last year. You can’t throw to DK when you don’t have time to. 

As bad as Wentz played, we still were in most games and lost a lot of close games primarily because of bad WR play. There were a ton of difference making dropped passes. If we had at least 1 legit receiver I think we would've been 2 wins better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

As bad as Wentz played, we still were in most games and lost a lot of close games primarily because of bad WR play. There were a ton of difference making dropped passes. If we had at least 1 legit receiver I think we would've been 2 wins better. 

The year before I would have signed that. But this past season Wentz was really terrible. If he has any excuse, it's probably the OL injuries.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie didn’t over think this move and he didn’t try to outsmart everyone. He went and got the guy on the board that graded high for them while jumping ahead of the Giants to do it. I wouldn’t call Smith a safe pick, but he does have the potential to become a highly productive receiver as long as he can stay healthy. Smith having a greater wing span than Calvin Johnson at his height is crazy though. 

This is what I said all offseason:  the higher the draft spot, the less likely Howie reaches.  It's harder to just pass up on talent and "outsmart" anyone.  Plus, my guess is that whenever there's a new head coach the staff is very excited and vocal about the kind of players they want and Howie is less likely to veto what they want.

Now heading into day 2, we'll see if Howie sticks to the board or gets cute.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

We’re still talking about 6-9-1 (almost forgot about that tie) though. It was a really bad year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wentz 2 Ertz said:

Wow lets F’ng go. I was a Howie hater but lord what a successful first round. To pick up an extra first round pick and still get Devonta is masterful. 

Especially considering Chase,l and Pitts were gone before #6.  Finally a WR

Where were you drafted, bro?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is what I said all offseason:  the higher the draft spot, the less likely Howie reaches.  It's harder to just pass up on talent and "outsmart" anyone.  Plus, my guess is that whenever there's a new head coach the staff is very excited and vocal about the kind of players they want and Howie is less likely to veto what they want.

Now heading into day 2, we'll see if Howie sticks to the board or gets cute.  

You know at some point Howie is gonna pull a Howie. I just hope he sticks to the plan for the next two rounds. Do what you want day three. 

19 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

Yeah... better to not get into the what if game with folks. Pointless. The past is the past and there ain't no going back without the deloreon. We just picked up the best pound for pound WR in decades. I'm expecting Justin Jefferson results this year out of this guy. Very high expectations. Who in the East can cover this guy?

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

The year before I would have signed that. But this past season Wentz was really terrible. If he has any excuse, it's probably the OL injuries.

It wasn’t just Wentz. It was Doug and like you mentioned the offensive line. It’s almost like Doug was coaching to get fired. 

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Yeah... better to not get into the what if game with folks. Pointless. The past is the past and there ain't no going back without the deloreon. We just picked up the best pound for pound WR in decades. I'm expecting Justin Jefferson results this year out of this guy. Very high expectations. Who in the East can cover this guy?

That’s some very high expectations! I don’t know how this kid will turn out and we don’t know how well Hurts will be as an NFL passer either. We also don’t really know what Siriani’s offense will be like. You certainly can do what you want, but when you’re expecting that much from a rookie you could end up disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We’re still talking about 6-10 though. It was a really bad year. 

Yeah at 6-10 we probably would've already been picking at #10 anyway. It's splitting hairs though but I'm glad we sucked a little more this year to be in the position to trade with Miami and net us another 1st round next year. I'm just as equally stoked about next year's draft ammo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heavywchamp said:

Yeah at 6-10 we probably would've already been picking at #10 anyway. It's splitting hairs though but I'm glad we sucked a little more this year to be in the position to trade with Miami and net us another 1st round next year. I'm just as equally stoked about next year's draft ammo. 

Agreed. Howie potentially set this team up with three first round picks and they will have more cap space from biting the Wentz cap this season. Everyone thinks this could be a long turnaround, but the could right this ship by 2022. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You know at some point Howie is gonna pull a Howie. I just hope he sticks to the plan for the next two rounds. Do what you want day three. 

I actually think that in rounds 4 and later he cares less about making a splash and kind of goes with the general consensus.  He even said in his interview the other day that day 3 is fun for him because he looks around the room at all the scouts and coaches and listens to them make their case.  He ultimately has to make the call, but for example with good offensive linemen they've taken in the later rounds I have to think that's Stout saying I want that guy.  They probably do a better job sticking to their board and listening to the scouts and coaches when it's on day 3.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The offense can be good. If things go really well it could be a really good offense but I think it'll at least be good even if Hurts is only average. The defense though is a mess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I actually think that in rounds 4 and later he cares less about making a splash and kind of goes with the general consensus.  He even said in his interview the other day that day 3 is fun for him because he looks around the room at all the scouts and coaches and listens to them make their case.  He ultimately has to make the call, but for example with good offensive linemen they've taken in the later rounds I have to think that's Stout saying I want that guy.  They probably do a better job sticking to their board and listening to the scouts and coaches when it's on day 3.

That's BS if coaches and scouts were trying to get DK and Jefferson but Howie doesn't listen or take their advice until round 4. That explains the following year rumors and reports that "Eagles nearly picked stud player X"

Day 1 couldn't have gone any better in my book. When we first made the trade to #12, I liked the idea of picking up extra picks considering our lack of young talent, but I hated the idea of missing out on one of the big playmakers in the draft. I would have been thrilled with staying put and getting Smith at #6. The fact that we picked up an extra first and still landed Smith is just awesome. 

Also a nice little cherry on top is, once again, pissing off Giants fans. :lol: 

• Like 7