ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Great segment on him by ESPN's Sports Science team.

Amazing. Still can't believe we got the best receiver and a first out of it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Everything has to be looked at with some level of balance.

Howie has overall done a bad job.He was a really bad GM in his first stint and then when he was brought back to the GM seat following Chip's dismissal he seemed to have a new outlook and a new approach. That approach led to him building a roster which won the SB but that Howie now seems to be gone. The moves he has made the last few years have been poor moves and ultimately he is a bad drafter. 

He created the situation we are in with poor drafting and he helped create the Wentz situation. Now where he deserves credit is I think he got pretty good value for Wentz and he's made logical moves since. I didn't like the trade back from #6 to #12 but as things stand it seems that actually worked out.

I don’t agree with some of what you’re saying. He did a lot of good things his first time around as GM, as well, imo. Some of it just didn’t work out. And some of it is cloudy on who was doing the decision making. But, for example, we had a good draft in 2013 when we drafted Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz. And it’s pretty established I think that Howie was running that draft. We had a good 2012 draft as well, but I have no idea who was in charge there — Howie or Andy.

We criticize him for the Nnamdi move, but people were over the moon when it happened. It didn’t work out, which is fair to criticize, but he does deserve some credit for being able to secure the top free agent on the market.

As I said, there has been both good and bad. 

Just now, vaff said:

As I said, there has been both good and bad. 

There have been yes absolutely. Not everything he has done has been bad but overall I think he has done a bad job. But we can debate that and that's absolutely fine. I also think the current situation dictates our opinions on Howie and for me part of wanting him out is because I have zero faith that he can rebuild this roster (as he needs to) through the draft.

24 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Very cool video. Got a really young WR room now. And I’m not gonna be surprised if we take a bigger X prospect later on day 3 as well.

Current WRs on roster:

DeVonta Smith

Jalen Reagor

Greg Ward

Travis Fulgham

John Hightower

Quez Watkins

Khalil Tate

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Only keeping 6. If we don’t add another I think your 6 are Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Ward, Hightower, Watkins. Bye bye JJAW

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Only keeping 6. If we don’t add another I think your 6 are Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Ward, Hightower, Watkins. Bye bye JJAW

Unless they think JJAW can offer more than Hightower? I know I know it sounds ridiculous but we don't know how Sirianni feels about any of the WRs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There have been yes absolutely. Not everything he has done has been bad but overall I think he has done a bad job. But we can debate that and that's absolutely fine. I also think the current situation dictates our opinions on Howie and for me part of wanting him out is because I have zero faith that he can rebuild this roster (as he needs to) through the draft.

FWIW, it’s known that in 2019 and 2020 that the FO didn’t stick to their draft board, as I’m sure you know. But supposedly Howie and Lurie realize they F’ed up, and are planning on sticking true to their board this year. That’s according to Adam Caplan last night.

1 minute ago, vaff said:

FWIW, it’s known that in 2019 and 2020 that the FO didn’t stick to their draft board, as I’m sure you know. But supposedly Howie and Lurie realize they F’ed up, and are planning on sticking true to their board this year. That’s according to Adam Caplan last night.

Mike Garafolo said the same thing a week ago, that the Eagles FO was committed to their board this year no matter what.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unless they think JJAW can offer more than Hightower? I know I know it sounds ridiculous but we don't know how Sirianni feels about any of the WRs.

It’s possible. It’s IMpossible to know if JJAW, Fulgham, Hightower and Watkins were victims of bad coaching/scheme or just duds. I hope it was the former. 

• Like 2

It’s possible. It’s IMpossible to know if JJAW, Fulgham, Hightower and Watkins were victims of bad coaching/scheme or just duds. I hope it was the former. 

I mean I think Watkins flashed at the end. I like him as a depth guy. Hightower just didn't seem to really have it and Fulgham I mean who knows there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I think Watkins flashed at the end. I like him as a depth guy. Hightower just didn't seem to really have it and Fulgham I mean who knows there?

I agree. Which is why I wouldn’t be shocked to see another big body guy taken on day 3 like a Nico Collins, Tamorrion Terry, Trevon Grimes, etc. To think our top 3 could be DK Metcalf, DeVonta Smith and Justin Jefferson. Lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I understand the concerns around his size but at the same time he dominated in the SEC against to be NFL corners. He's always been undersized and yet he's always produced.

The kid is a playmaker, period, and is what I consider a much better and more rounded version of Reagor.         Especially pisses me off now that Reagor was the pick last year as Smith and Jefferson would have the potential to be among the best WR tandems in the league.          And add Metcalf to that .......

Oh, the possibilities and the waste.

• Like 2

I agree. Which is why I wouldn’t be shocked to see another big body guy taken on day 3 like a Nico Collins, Tamorrion Terry, Trevon Grimes, etc. To think our top 3 could be DK Metcalf, DeVonta Smith and Justin Jefferson. Lol

I mean yeah imagine that trio! Jesus that would be scary.

Just now, mjkvol said:

The kid is a playmaker, period, and is what I consider a much better and more rounded version of Reagor.         Especially pisses me off now that Reagor was the pick last year as Smith and Jefferson would have the potential to be among the best WR tandems in the league.          And add Metcalf to that .......

Oh, the possibilities and the waste.

I mean yeah it's frustrating but let's be honest if Jefferson was the pick last year and was as good in Philly as he was in Minnesota then we don't go for Smith this year. Not in my opinion anyway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah imagine that trio! Jesus that would be scary.

I mean yeah it's frustrating but let's be honest if Jefferson was the pick last year and was as good in Philly as he was in Minnesota then we don't go for Smith this year. Not in my opinion anyway. 

Maybe not, but to me it would make even more sense.       Build a killer WR room with a new QB and give him every chance to be successful.        Its all moot, of course. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjkvol said:

Maybe not, but to me it would make even more sense.       Build a killer WR room with a new QB and give him every chance to be successful.        Its all moot, of course. 

Of course but it's fun to imagine isn't it! ☺

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MeccaDon123 said:

"Like Vick"? LOL.. Could have just said.. "Like Wentz". 

Do you assume he's going to be a "running QB" because... nevermind.

Hurts had 3800 yards passing and 1300 yards rushing in 2019 at Oklahoma. That doesn't sound like a 'running' QB?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Especially after things seemed to be getting away from him earlier in the night. 

People kept saying this. The board fell the way it was supposed too. People just think they are experts and made it an absolute positivity that 4-5 QBs were going to go in the first 10. 

The only other way the board wasn't going his way is when players went that people wanted. Being that we have no idea what Howie wanted you can't simply state that the board wasn't going his way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Wow. He really is built like A.I. Long ass arms and big mitts. His route running is amazing can't wait to see him in action. He'll add a little muscle over time. Not a one trick pony 🙂

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

I just hope Smith wont become a Chris T Jones part 2..... 

Huhn?

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Quite the contrast from Reagor’s poor route running or JJAW’s complete ineptness. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Quite the contrast from Reagor’s poor route running or JJAW’s complete ineptness. 

This pick just made too much sense didn't it. It was the right way to go and I'm glad Howie went that way. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

People kept saying this. The board fell the way it was supposed too. People just think they are experts and made it an absolute positivity that 4-5 QBs were going to go in the first 10. 

The only other way the board wasn't going his way is when players went that people wanted. Being that we have no idea what Howie wanted you can't simply state that the board wasn't going his way. 

I don’t think the Cowboys or the Eagles anticipated both corners to be gone as quickly as they were, but when it happened both teams made the moves that was best for them leaving the Giants holding the bag. Neither the Eagles nor Cowboys got the guys they wanted, but I feel like both picked up solid players if they use them properly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This pick just made too much sense didn't it. It was the right way to go and I'm glad Howie went that way. 

Howie didn’t over think this move and he didn’t try to outsmart everyone. He went and got the guy on the board that graded high for them while jumping ahead of the Giants to do it. I wouldn’t call Smith a safe pick, but he does have the potential to become a highly productive receiver as long as he can stay healthy. Smith having a greater wing span than Calvin Johnson at his height is crazy though. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Howie didn’t over think this move and he didn’t try to outsmart everyone. He went and got the guy on the board that graded high for them while jumping ahead of the Giants to do it. I wouldn’t call Smith a safe pick, but he does have the potential to become a highly productive receiver as long as he can stay healthy. Smith having a greater wing span than Calvin Johnson at his height is crazy though. 

Oh yeah he's not a safe pick. The size thing is a legit concern for sure but I think he's going to be a really special nfl WR. Just my gut feel. This kid is a baller.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hopefully the new coaching staff and Smith putting on clinics every time he's on the field helps improve the young guys. JJ is gone though. A shame because we need some size at WR. Need Fulgham to take the next big step to consistency.

• Like 1