ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Howie essentially turned the 6th overall pick and our second of two 3rd rounders this year into The Slim Reaper, another 1st round pick next year and turned a 5th into a 4th. He correctly read the tea leaves that Pitts and Chase are gone before 6, traded back for great value with Miami and THEN read the room correctly again by jumping the Giants since Smith was the guy they wanted all along. I call him out when he’s wrong but his moves made pre-draft and last night are absolute aces in my book. 

24976013-3B39-4981-9FF1-ED239F497D1C.jpeg

This.

Howie absolutely crushed it last night. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

This.

Yes he did.  And there are a good number of projected round 1 guys who will could still be there at 37 tonight:

Christian Barmore DT

Azeez Ojulari EDGE

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB 

Trevon Moehrig S

Levi Onwuzurike DT

Not to mention CBs: Samuel, Campbell, Robinson, Olifonwu and some nice IOL and other EDGE prospects.  I'm psyched for tonight that they are committed to sticking to their board.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

This.

The best part about jumping the Giants is that it seems that they didn't really have a plan B.  Toney is a good WR, but I think they reached picking him as early as they did.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

The best part about jumping the Giants is that it seems that they didn't really have a plan B.  Toney is a good WR, but I think they reached picking him as early as they did.  

Yeah they did. Had Bateman rated much higher than Toney who I saw as an end 1/early 2nd guy

I’m really pulling for two defensive picks tonight, either an Edge and a CB or a LB and a CB. Though I’d be psyched to get Jevon Holland as well or Trevon Moehrig. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Yeah they did. Had Bateman rated much higher than Toney who I saw as an end 1/early 2nd guy

Giants fans are PISSED

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Hurts had 3800 yards passing and 1300 yards rushing in 2019 at Oklahoma. That doesn't sound like a 'running' QB?

Pretty sure you missed the entire point. My question was to paraphrase... .."Why the Vick comparison".

I responded to this: "Hurts better not be sloppy with the ball like Vick".

I basically meant "Only a running QB".

Vick 342 pass attempts in college

Hurts 1047 pass attempts in college

Saying he could've just said "Don't turn it over like Wentz".

Pro:

INTs:

Vick (ATL) 67 starts 1730 pass attempts 52 INTs

Wentz 68 starts 2492 pass attempts 50 INTs

Fumbles:

Vick Atlanta- 67 starts 55 fumbles -18 yrds lost

Wentz  68 starts 58 fumbles -95 yrds lost

Sacks:

Vick (ATL) 67 starts 187 

Wentz 68 starts 179

Soooooo if the intent was to look at turnovers or poor ball control... as we can see from these stats.. he could've just said "LIke Wentz".. instead of "Like Vick". 

• Thanks 1

I personally would've preferred trading back and and picking Rashod Bateman instead, but I do like Smith's potential as an explosive, sure-handed, receiver that knows how to play WR at a high level. 

38 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I’m really pulling for two defensive picks tonight, either an Edge and a CB or a LB and a CB. Though I’d be psyched to get Jevon Holland as well or Trevon Moehrig. 

Yes.  We need to come out of tonight with a Corner for sure, and need a safety and a DE or LB.

Would love to get Richie Grand and Chazz Surratt.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes.  We need to come out of tonight with a Corner for sure, and need a safety and a DE or LB.

Would love to get Richie Grand and Chazz Surratt.

Chazz or Moses in the 4th would be Chef's kiss, unless we take JOK at #37.

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

Also a nice little cherry on top is, once again, pissing off Giants fans. :lol: 

First the football team screws themselves by making the playoffs..

Then the Cowboy dream of getting Horn or Surtain didn't come true, followed by the Giants missing out on Smith.. 

You could say the only ones in the East that really got their dude were us.

• Like 3

Smitty will ball out! He has some of the best hands because he works his butt off! 

Check out the link where they were talking to him about the fact that everyday after practice and even when they don't practice, he takes 100 passes of the JUGS machine.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-hype-video-for-Ole-Miss-game-DeVonta-Smith-152671238/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s some very high expectations! I don’t know how this kid will turn out and we don’t know how well Hurts will be as an NFL passer either. We also don’t really know what Siriani’s offense will be like. You certainly can do what you want, but when you’re expecting that much from a rookie you could end up disappointed. 

Yup. He's already a polished pro ready receiver very similar to what Justin Jefferson was with the exception of size and there may be some advantage to the fact that he has at least played with Hurts before. 1300+ yards 10+ TDs
Eagles are going to suck which is why I think he'll get a lot of garbage time yards also. He will have a 200 yard game or 2 this year as well. Book it.

57 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

the giants fans tears are extra salty today. 

this is good. 

839aa665bcf2ebe7f3735d854461705d.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, judunno said:

Yeah... better to not get into the what if game with folks. Pointless. The past is the past and there ain't no going back without the deloreon. We just picked up the best pound for pound WR in decades. I'm expecting Justin Jefferson results this year out of this guy. Very high expectations. Who in the East can cover this guy?

Non-sequitur, but I saw a yellow Delorean last week - on a rural back road.   Was not expecting to see that, like ever.

Just now, Mortimer said:

Non-sequitur, but I saw a yellow Delorean last week - on a rural back road.   Was not expecting to see that, like ever.

LMAO... was Doc or Marty driving?

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

LMAO... was Doc or Marty driving?

Looked like a middle aged woman.  But these days, could have been a dude in a wig.

I don't want to get ahead of myself... Is Devonta Smith the leading WR on the Eagles in 2021? He very well could be, right? Honest question. 

• Like 1

Just now, toolg said:

I don't want to get ahead of myself... Is Devonta Smith the leading WR on the Eagles in 2021? He very well could be, right? Honest question. 

Might not be a difficult thing to accomplish considering what’s around him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toolg said:

Lol, who's his competition?? 😂