**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

2 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Problem is how do you replace Harris as a starter and still find depth.

They could win it all this year and be moot. If not, roster will have a lot of questions next year. 

I think if they come up short this year you need to blow it up and completely rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Celtics got so lucky getting Al for a bag of basketballs. 

Brodgen cost a 1st and a bust of a 1st player. 

Yup and the sixers making moves to be below the luxury and brining in guys like dedmon who was done before he got here. There’s a reason a lousy Miami team decided to release him. It’s continuous like that. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

I think if they come up short this year you need to blow it up and completely rebuild. 

The problem is they will never rebuild with embiid on the roster. Unless they’re trading him away they’ll make some moves to try to get over but really their F ups in the past are gonna prevent them from putting enough talent around him and maxey. Also not sure if you do a complete rebuild that maxey doesn’t look at the situation and want out. And really with maxey likely going to be too good to be picking high enough in the lottery and not good enough to win anything major. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The problem is they will never rebuild with embiid on the roster. Unless they’re trading him away they’ll make some moves to try to get over but really their F ups in the past are gonna prevent them from putting enough talent around him and maxey. Also not sure if you do a complete rebuild that maxey doesn’t look at the situation and want out. And really with maxey likely going to be too good to be picking high enough in the lottery and not good enough to win anything major. 

I don't entirely disagree, but there aren't a lot of options. Can't keep banging our heads against the wall trying to run it back with a few minor roster tweaks.

Bottom line, they need to somehow catch lightning in a bottle to win it NOW or the next couple years could be rough. If I'm Doc, I'd be doing everything possible to get the offense rolling through Maxey. If he becomes enough of a problem, maybe a bit of the defense's focus comes off Embiid to give him a little space to operate.

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

Embiid is going to win the MVP in a few days, you can't do that. 

Remember, the Warriors traded KD in a sign and trade to the Nets and got Russell back. Warriors turned Russell into Wiggins. If Harden does want to go to Houston you try to get assets back in return to expand the trade to get someone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

I don't entirely disagree, but there aren't a lot of options. Can't keep banging our heads against the wall trying to run it back with a few minor roster tweaks.

Bottom line, they need to somehow catch lightning in a bottle to win it NOW or the next couple years could be rough. If I'm Doc, I'd be doing everything possible to get the offense rolling through Maxey. If he becomes enough of a problem, maybe a bit of the defense's focus comes off Embiid to give him a little space to operate.

Doc, did screw this team by not playing young dudes. He should be fired then give the roster another shot. Nurse will be available. 

Isiah Joe is a lights out shooter. I would bet money Kork goes somewhere and is a legit scorer off the bench, but will never know because Doc refuses to develop dudes. 

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Remember, the Warriors traded KD in a sign and trade to the Nets and got Russell back. Warriors turned Russell into Wiggins. If Harden does want to go to Houston you try to get assets back in return to expand the trade to get someone. 

Depends what your thoughts are on Embiid's longevity. Yes, he's likely about to win MVP. However, he's also 29 and his body has taken a beating. A guy his size with that much wear and tear doesn't last long. I'd be shocked if he didn't see a steep decline in a couple of years. The smart move (unless they miraculously win it this year) is to trade him while his value is highest. Get as much value as you can to add some talent along with Maxey.

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Doc, did screw this team by not playing young dudes. He should be fired then give the roster another shot. Nurse will be available. 

Isiah Joe is a lights out shooter. I would bet money Kork goes somewhere and is a legit scorer off the bench, but will never know because Doc refuses to develop dudes. 

I agree on Joe, but not Kork. He flat out sucks. Every minute he plays is a minute too long.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

Unless they win the title, there’s gonna be major changes regardless. I don’t think doc is coming back if they lose in the second round again. I don’t know how they could justify it at that point.

Also, Tobias Harris being on an expiring contract allows them to finally trade him and get some pieces that likely fit better around embiid, maxey and (less likely) harden. Need to just potentially clear some cap space for the 2025 offseason to make a splash or sign some better players. It’s a solid free agent class. Might actually take a step back in 2023-24. 

that said they will never trade Joel Embiid unless he demands to be traded. they just won’t do it until then 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I agree on Joe, but not Kork. He flat out sucks. Every minute he plays is a minute too long.

He was a 40% 3p shooter the last few  years on 5 attempts and was really bad last year. Shooters are a premium in this league 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

He was a 40% 3p shooter the last few  years on 5 attempts and was really bad last year. Shooters are a premium in this league 

He's only had one season shooting 40%. 35.6% for his career, which is largely boosted by that one season since his second best year was only 37.5%.

7 minutes ago, nipples said:

He's only had one season shooting 40%. 35.6% for his career, which is largely boosted by that one season since his second best year was only 37.5%.

Difference is 0.2 makes a game, minimum. I'm higher on him than most, but point remains you have to play dudes thru rough stretches for them to develop. Doc refuses too and always had. 

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They do have some nice young players now. 

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He mentions a cap charge for Thybulle stating that he is a free agent. I dont know if his math is off because of that, or it it wasnt included and he just slipped up when typing the names.

Anyway, we know Harden can become a free agent and walk for nothing. Didnt know what Houston's cap situation was but I wasnt really expecting a trade anyway. He clears cap. The play is to trade Harris then so that we actually have max space to work with. I dont care what we get in return. Its all about cap dumping. If we can extract one 1st round pick from it, and maybe one solid young player on a rookie deal its a massive win.

And I dont care if they cant go right out and get another star this year. A Butler trade, as has been brought up in here seems plausible but I cant imagine anything else realistically. Theyll have cap, but no real assets to go get anyone. Theres no top free agents to sign. And if there were, none ever choose to come here anyway. Theyll have to eventually make a trade, but they dont have the stuff to do it this year.

Thats why I say, for this year sign mid-priced guys to reasonably short deals. They help salary match if you find a trade. And you dont get tied to them too long term if another opportunity comes up further down the road.

Re-establishing optionality, WHILE having Embiid and Maxey here is the goal.

I'm more and more convinced as incredible as he is....Embid is the biggest problem we have.  The offense just looks bad when he is in...slow...plodding...I mean, why the f does he feel the need to dribble the ball up the court?  He falls down on every play.  His feet look like they are in cement.  Like I said, he is an incredible talent, should be the MVP, but I do not think they are going to win anything with him.  If someone offered me a trade of 2 or 3 #1's with young players....I'd probably take it.

• Haha 1

i love embiid but he also has an extremely fragile ego. as we saw last night, he's easily baited....and whenever a guy scores on him or dunks on him, he's guaranteed to commit a turnover or offensive foul the next trip up the court because of trying waaaaaay to hard to "get the guy back".  phenomenal player and talent though. 

1 hour ago, NYEagle said:

I'm more and more convinced as incredible as he is....Embid is the biggest problem we have.  The offense just looks bad when he is in...slow...plodding...I mean, why the f does he feel the need to dribble the ball up the court?  He falls down on every play.  His feet look like they are in cement.  Like I said, he is an incredible talent, should be the MVP, but I do not think they are going to win anything with him.  If someone offered me a trade of 2 or 3 #1's with young players....I'd probably take it.

Well, he's getting shut down offensively in the playoffs again as much as you can possibly shut him down,  by a far inferior team.  

And,  he's getting banged up in the process.

We will see if he has enough health, and stamina left to carry the team in the next series, or 2, or 3. It's hard to imagine him lasting through a grueling post season.  He has literally never done it yet. 

But,  it's really questionable if you can win with him as your focal point. He's now 29? And has so much to prove. So far,  again this year,  not looking great. 

Hard to imagine them trading him.  Unless he requests it.  Which may be possible if he's not happy with their moves after Harden and Harris are gone. 

If he stays,  sooner than later he needs to have his butler or Harden moment where he realizes it's time to take a bit of a back seat and only take over when needed. And the 6ers need to be able to find a way to get a player good enough to convince him of that. 

Best hope is accumulating assets this year to go after doncic the year after. 

• Like 1

His temper tantrum last night was embarrassing, but when he's drawing double and triple teams every time he touches the ball, the other 4 should be feasting and running up their scoring totals. These guys are professionals, aside from Maxey they're just not hitting their open shots enough.  Well, I guess they are because we're up 3-0, but they're going to have to hit a lot more moving forward.

• Like 4

Embiid out for at least game 4.  The annual playoff injury strikes again