**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

4 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

mike scott :roll:   

exactly. The Hawks going big works against us because the counters, which I stated in that post are with more stretch bigs (ours suck, Tolliver and Scott), or more guards (but ours cant play off the dribble). We dont exactly have the personnel to counter this. But, we need to do something to try. Last 2 games against the Hawks big lineup, we are slamming our heads against a wall trying to score in the post against bigger post players. 

Our bench needs to improve this offseason and we will be ok. We still need that scorer off the bench. And a decent stretch 4 that is way better than Scott. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

exactly. The Hawks going big works against us because the counters, which I stated in that post are with more stretch bigs (ours suck, Tolliver and Scott), or more guards (but ours cant play off the dribble). We dont exactly have the personnel to counter this. But, we need to do something to try. Last 2 games against the Hawks big lineup, we are slamming our heads against a wall trying to score in the post against bigger post players. 

Our bench needs to improve this offseason and we will be ok. We still need that scorer off the bench. And a decent stretch 4 that is way better than Scott. 

It all comes back to the signing of horford. If the sixers used that money on bogdanovic you have that stretch four and he was much cheap then the crap fit of horford to begin with. Either way one of the reasons i really wanted a strong push for markkanen at the deadline. 

49 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Big guys, centers don't get those calls. They are over 7ft close to 300lbs. That's the life of a big guy. League doenst care about those guys anymore. Shaq used to get the sheet kicked out of him same as Dwight Howard in the day. 

Embiid gets some of those calls if he just puts the minimal amount of effort into looking like he’s actually trying to score, rather than just trying to get a foul call. Hell, most of his shots were going away from the F’ing basket because he was blatantly flopping backwards. It was pathetic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Embiid gets some of those calls if he just puts the minimal amount of effort into looking like he’s actually trying to score, rather than just trying to get a foul call. Hell, most of his shots were going away from the F’ing basket because he was blatantly flopping backwards. It was pathetic.

A nitpicking thing with embiid that bothers me at times is where he goes into this mode where is he’s looking for foul calls more than looking to just score the basket. I believe he even complained last night he got fouled on that layup attempt. if you weren’t concerned with the foul and just went up to flush that you’d likely get the call anyway and 2 points. Last night when your jumper is not falling you have to get more in the post. Capela for all his trash talking can’t guard him down there. 

im still pissed off by that game last night. Probably cause it feels like they showed me they aren’t where i thought they were mentally as a team. 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d argue he’s the most frustrating athlete i can ever remember in the city. He has all the talent in the world to be one of the best players in sixers history and the none of the drive to actually do it. I do believe he’ll have a light bulb moment where it finally dawns on him but it’ll be way down the road and by then he’s likely gone from here and wasted embiid’s prime years. 

*when i say he doesn’t have the drive to do it i mean if you are taking what you do seriously that you wouldn’t be shooting 30% from the free-throw line. That is BS you’re not working hard enough or not working smart enough if you could drop somehow by 31% at the free-throw line. They’re high school kids on the aau circuit that can make better than that

He's Pat Burrell. 

Shows occasional superstar talent but lacked the fire to take it to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

He's Pat Burrell. 

Shows occasional superstar talent but lacked the fire to take it to the next level. 

At least with Burrell we got a title even if he wasn’t the main reason. Not sure you’re gonna get that with Simmons. But it’s definitely a good comp. 

From John hollinger of the athletic 

George Hill, SG, Philadelphia, $10,047,298 ($1,275,000 guaranteed); BORD$ value: $5,042,479 

George Hill might be the biggest question mark in this category. Philadelphia gave up two second-round picks to acquire Hill, and part of the idea was that he’s already signed for next season. However, the Sixers’ luxury-tax situation, Hill’s underwhelming playoffs and the emergence of multiple younger options (Shake Milton, Tyrese Maxey and Furkan Korkmaz) all stand to work against him.

Would they be better off cutting him and stretching the small guarantee, which could save the Sixers $20 million or more with the luxury-tax implications? Moreover, will they need to cut him if they can’t re-sign Danny Green, forcing them to use their non-taxpayer midlevel exception and stay below the apron next year?

As you can tell, there are a lot of moving parts on this one, including what happens in the rest of Philadelphia’s playoff run. Maybe Green’s injury gives Hill the window to shine. But at the moment, I would bet against him being back. Verdict: Waived

• Like 1

Ben is now 18-53 and back down to 34% from the stripe.

This is Fing ridiculous.  I think I could make 30% shooting left handed and blind folded.

We out here setting records and passing Jordan in the record books 

2957FAF1-0DC2-45F3-BB4F-489334C739A9.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

Of course. And they typically apply to the top players in a sport, particularly in the playoffs. No one denies that Embiid is a top 5 NBA player. Every other top 5 player as long as I've been watching basketball gets that treatment, but Embiid for whatever reason does not. 

Because he's a 7 footer.  Shaq got hacked all the time.  With no calls.  But then again, he also shouldered into about 10 points a game which was never called.  

56 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

George Hill, SG, Philadelphia, $10,047,298 ($1,275,000 guaranteed); BORD$ value: $5,042,479 

George Hill might be the biggest question mark in this category. Philadelphia gave up two second-round picks to acquire Hill, and part of the idea was that he’s already signed for next season. However, the Sixers’ luxury-tax situation, Hill’s underwhelming playoffs and the emergence of multiple younger options (Shake Milton, Tyrese Maxey and Furkan Korkmaz) all stand to work against him.

Would they be better off cutting him and stretching the small guarantee, which could save the Sixers $20 million or more with the luxury-tax implications? Moreover, will they need to cut him if they can’t re-sign Danny Green, forcing them to use their non-taxpayer midlevel exception and stay below the apron next year?

As you can tell, there are a lot of moving parts on this one, including what happens in the rest of Philadelphia’s playoff run. Maybe Green’s injury gives Hill the window to shine. But at the moment, I would bet against him being back. Verdict: Waived

I expected much more from him but I didn't watch him much last year.  Did his decline start then or were we just "lucky" enough to get him and then he started his steep decline?  I know he was out for a while but he has had long enough to get the rust out.  Either he is still injured or he lost two steps.

i think hill led the nba in 3pt % last year. 

they brought him in too late & he never really got in shape or learned his role in the system. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

I expected much more from him but I didn't watch him much last year.  Did his decline start then or were we just "lucky" enough to get him and then he started his steep decline?  I know he was out for a while but he has had long enough to get the rust out.  Either he is still injured or he lost two steps.

I think it’s the injury and not having the time on court to adjust. I’d actually bring him back then use his contract as an expiring deal in another deal if it doesn’t pan out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i think hill led the nba in 3pt % last year. 

i think they brought him in too late & he never really got in shape or learned his role in the system. 

He doesn't seem out of shape really.  He just looks super slow.

11 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

He doesn't seem out of shape really.  He just looks super slow.

It’s a multitude of things. Not being here long enough to know the offense and adjust. He also broke his hand. Then with just a few regular season games the jump to playoffs is a lot. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s a multitude of things. Not being here long enough to know the offense and adjust. He also broke his hand. Then with just a few regular season games the jump to playoffs is a lot. 

I'm not even talking about offense.  You can see how slow he is on defense.  He did not use to be that slow.  I know he was never a super fast buy but he looks a lot slower.

this guy turned himself into a 70% free throw shooter for his career....meanwhile, ben is at 34% for the playoffs. 

giphy__4_.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I thought I read that though his guarantee is low, his contact still works to match 10M in a trade.  

A guy that counts like 1M against your cap but represents 10M in trade is gold. They'd be stupid to cut him. 

If I understand that correctly. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brown had his flaws. I think the organization has allowed Simmons to do what he wanted when he was fresh into the league and it’s basically allowed him to do as he pleases. I feel like if you had a coach like thibs here then Ben would ask out. Some of this falls back on the organization overall for allowing to manifest over the years. Credit to embiid he had a kid and got himself into great shape  unfortunately his body just can’t stay healthy at the most inopportune time this year.  

Doc really doesn’t get the most out of his teams besides that Boston run. I think the clippers years he wasted a lot of talented teams that could’ve achieved more. Like i said game 5 last year is nearly identical to the sixers game last night. I hate losing but i hate losing more when you see no sense of urgency, getting pushed around by an inferior team and lack of energy. 

Yes cause the Celtics team was already seasoned vets on their way to the hall of Fame. I do not like doc one bit, I've shown that lol

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yes cause the Celtics team was already seasoned vets on their way to the hall of Fame. I do not like doc one bit, I've shown that lol

I don’t hate doc but i do think he’s overrated. I much rather have Rick Carlisle if the mavs were to can him. I think he gets more out of less. The porzingis thing aside which i think porzingis was just damaged goods when he got him. 

32 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I thought I read that though his guarantee is low, his contact still works to match 10M in a trade.  

A guy that counts like 1M against your cap but represents 10M in trade is gold. They'd be stupid to cut him. 

If I understand that correctly. 

I haven’t looked at his contract to know that aspect. If that’s correct really dumb to do what hollinger is saying. Frankly I’d keep him anyway cause i think he’s still a good expiring contract and can matchup salaries in another trade if he doesn’t workout next year. 

40 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

this guy turned himself into a 70% free throw shooter for his career....meanwhile, ben is at 34% for the playoffs. 

giphy__4_.gif

What pisses me off most about it is he showed this year for a 3 week stretch he can shoot them at 73%. Then he completely plummets to 34%. Like you can’t tell me you are working hard at it if that’s the results or you’re not working intelligently at what you are doing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz still need to Face the Music - Philly Front  Office - Sixers

We really should just refer to him as Free Throws until he learns to get better. 

5 hours ago, Gannan said:

Of course. And they typically apply to the top players in a sport, particularly in the playoffs. No one denies that Embiid is a top 5 NBA player. Every other top 5 player as long as I've been watching basketball gets that treatment, but Embiid for whatever reason does not. 

Actually the data says Embid gets more calls than virtually any player in the league. 
He led the league in free throws per game this season - not just among centers, who never catch a break - but among all players averaging nearly 11 a game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/free-throws-attempted

Embid was damaged goods last night.  Hopefully he rebounds (see what I did there) tomorrow.