**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

If a team wants him and he wants the super max, Id expect a sign and trade so he gets his super max from us on his way to the other team. And in that case, youre likely getting a super star back to match that massive contract.

I am pretty positive you can’t do a sign in trade with a super max. We discussed this with kawhi and someone brought up you can’t do it. I’m almost positive That’s what happen with Kawhi Leonard. I’m almost positive (besides how they handled his injury) he was pissed off at the spurs because they didn’t want to give it to him and when they traded him to Toronto he basically lost out ability unless he was in all NBA player and he’d have to stay in Toronto.

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Eh, he was pretty damn good.

Got them to a cup finals. His was more Scott Stevens obliterated him and he really never was the same after that. 

• Like 1

Just now, TEW said:

OK, so why would any team give him a super max contract then? If that's the sticking point, and this is "known" then why would anyone pay him?

Well, how long have we known what we know about Simmons? And theres always another coach out there like Doc that calls him a "treasure" and thinks he can make him a winner. Im sure there will be plenty of teams interested in rolling the dice on his injuries. At some point, we have to be done. Its probably wise to be done before committing that amount of money, and years to him. 

How many assets can Embiid actually get you? And if he's such damaged goods, why would any other team give him max money? If they'll pay him that, then he should be worth a tin in the trade market. And if they won't, we don't have to either.

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am pretty positive you can’t do a sign in trade with a super max. We discussed this with kawhi and someone brought up you can’t do it. I’m almost positive That’s what happen with Kawhi Leonard. I’m almost positive he was pissed off at the spurs because they didn’t want to give it to him and when they traded him to Toronto he basically lost out ability unless he was in all NBA player and he’d have to stay in Toronto.

could have swore you could give the super max money. Just not the 5th year. Wasnt that the Butler situation?

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Well, how long have we known what we know about Simmons? And theres always another coach out there like Doc that calls him a "treasure" and thinks he can make him a winner. Im sure there will be plenty of teams interested in rolling the dice on his injuries. At some point, we have to be done. Its probably wise to be done before committing that amount of money, and years to him. 

Ok, but if they're convinced they can make him a winner, then surely they think it's worth giving up major assets to get him?

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Yeah. It would essentially be process time all over again. 

This is tricky.  The NBA has slanted the lottery against future processes.  Philly is also not a city where stars will simply choose to park a superteam.

I go back and forth.  Right now, the NBA is in a trough between true superteam peaks.  A simply very good team can win an NBA title.  76ers aren't that far off from that.  I don't know how much longer that opportunity will last...maybe 1 year, maybe 5.  

There is something to be said for cashing out on a star player, at their peak, who is too flawed to take you over the top.  

53 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

For who? For what? Lol. 

I’d also argue Shawn Andrew’s was great until mentally/depression derailed his career. 

"Get my Michael Phelps on...my Michael Phelps on..." :groovy:

5 minutes ago, TEW said:

Eh, he was pretty damn good.

He was outstanding.  Also extremely frustrating.  I think he's near the top of Philly's pantheon of greatly frustrating vs frustratingly great athletes.  

3 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

I know.  

But I've seen how these trades (Barkley, Iverson, etc.) work out for the Sixers.

I would just point out the Rockets just traded James Harden and basically nowhere close to another superstar in return. Also Paul George was traded for SGA and picks. SGA wasn’t a superstar at that point (still not; potentially could be) and they got picks. Anthony Davis was traded. They didn’t get a superstar back either. Got Ingram a very good player, ball and Josh hart and picks. They might not get a superstar back just because you’re giving up a superstar

1 minute ago, TEW said:

Ok, but if they're convinced they can make him a winner, then surely they think it's worth giving up major assets to get him?

yes. I think we would get great value in a trade for him. My argument is against what most fans probably think of as "Fair". You might not get a prime Durant type player. But you might get some star level players and like 7 first round picks.  Id be happy with that. Most people wouldnt be happy unless youre getting say a top 5 player in the NBA.

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

could have swore you could give the money. Just not the 5th year. Wasnt that the Butler situation?

Butler didn’t sign a Supermax. Butler got a max.  I don’t believe Jimmy Butler was ever eligible for a super max. He could get a five year max from the Sixers if he re-signed here

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I would just point out the Rockets just traded James Harden and basically nowhere close to another superstar in return. Also Paul George was traded for SGA and picks. SGA wasn’t a superstar at that point (still not; potentially could be) and they got picks. Anthony Davis was traded. They didn’t get a superstar back either. Got Ingram a very good player, ball and Josh hart and picks. They might not get a superstar back just because you’re giving up a superstar

I'd just go full blown process again. Give me all the unprotected picks and expiring contracts that can be traded for picks.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Butler didn’t sign a Supermax. Butler got a max.

oh ok.  Maybe you cant sign and trade the super max. I thought that was just about the additional year the current team can give. Sucks for Embiid then, but Im not willing to pay him the super max.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

yes. I think we would get great value in a trade for him. My argument is against what most fans probably think of as "Fair". You might not get a prime Durant type player. But you might get some star level players and like 7 first round picks.  Id be happy with that. Most people wouldnt be happy unless youre getting say a top 5 player in the NBA.

A star level player and infinity unprotected firsts would be decent. But that star is getting flipped for more picks and we're going to be horrific for another 5 years.

Just now, TEW said:

A star level player and infinity unprotected firsts would be decent. But that star is getting flipped for more picks and we're going to be horrific for another 5 years.

I dont think so.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

oh ok.  Maybe you cant sign and trade the super max. I thought that was just about the additional year the current team can give. Sucks for Embiid then, but Im not willing to pay him the super max.

Yeah you can’t get the fifth year on the Max contract in a sign in trade 

The kawhi situation kind of put that all into perspective with the supermax. Because I made the suggestion the Sixers to try to get him to a Supermax sign and trade at the time of the deal and it was brought up through multiple people on Twitter that cover in the NBA that you can’t do that. kawhi didn’t want to play on through his injury when the spurs didn’t wanna give him the super max and he knew if he was traded somewhere that he would have to be all nba to retain the Supermax. And they dealt him to Toronto which he was never going to return there so he lost out on his Supermax which was an extra fu by the spurs

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

Maybe 3, assuming we hit on our picks.

I look at teams like Miami last year, Utah and Phoenix this year, and I feel you dont need 3 super stars to be great. If you get a bunch of really good players to start, and a deep bench youre gonna be just fine.

8 minutes ago, TEW said:

I'd just go full blown process again. Give me all the unprotected picks and expiring contracts that can be traded for picks.

I am fine if that’s the route you wanna take because you don’t believe Joel Embiid is going to stay healthy enough to get you to a title. I also don’t believe you’re going to get a superstar back. Just to point out the Warriors could trade Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman the Minnesota pick as well as their own lottery pick and get the contracts to match up for Beal. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I am fine if that’s the route you wanna take because you don’t believe Joel Embiid is going to stay healthy enough to get you to a title. I also don’t believe you’re going to get a superstar back. Just to point out the Warriors could trade Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman the Minnesota pick as well as their own lottery pick and get the contracts to match up for Beal. 

it depends on the team I think. If you are a team with some stars that wants to add to what youve got then you are going to make a package of lesser players.

If you are a team like Portland who needs to blow it up, or Chicago who only has LaVine, then youll have to give up that star to get headed in the right direction. Minnesota wanted to offload Butler. SA wanted to offload Kawhi. Those things happen.

It just takes finding the right partner. 

it depends on the team I think. If you are a team with some stars that wants to add to what youve got then you are going to make a package of lesser players.

If you are a team like Portland who needs to blow it up, or Chicago who only has LaVine, then youll have to give up that star to get headed in the right direction. Minnesota wanted to offload Butler. SA wanted to offload Kawhi. Those things happen.

It just takes finding the right partner. 

I agree but you’re risking that the right partner is going to just be there. There’s a potential that the partner isn’t there and you’re gonna have to go into a rebuild. I’d also not consider Lavine a superstar coming back as well as he’s a free agent at the end of next year (I’m assuming he was just hypothetical for you). Bulls might deal him this offseason or upcoming year. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I agree but you’re risking that the right partner is going to just be there. There’s a potential that the partner isn’t there and you’re gonna have to go into a rebuild. I’d also not consider Lavine a superstar coming back as well as he’s a free agent at the end of next year (I’m assuming he was just hypothetical for you). Bulls might deal him this offseason or upcoming year. 

if the right partner is there sooner than later, then.... you do it. We are coming to the end of the bridge. Going to have to jump. Ill choose to jump where the landing is nice. I dont have to take it till the last second if it doesnt look good there.

if the right partner is there sooner than later, then.... you do it.

Agree on the sentiment if you re going to do it then do it sooner  cause the longer you go the more wear and tear and value eventually drops. I’d have to know what team and superstar would be coming back. i highly doubt Washington would go after embiid for Beal cause i think embiid wouldn’t sign the extension there in that trade. He’s to know at the end of 21-22 who’d be available to really make that discussion realistic