**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

Bucks saw the sixers last night and thought it was so impressive they are trying to match the sixers 

30 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I look at teams like Miami last year, Utah and Phoenix this year, and I feel you dont need 3 super stars to be great. If you get a bunch of really good players to start, and a deep bench youre gonna be just fine.

Miami didn't win a ring last year. When was the last time a team won a title without at least 1 super star? When's the last time a team won 2 or more titles without 2 or more super stars?

It seems to me if you actually want to win rings, you're going to need at least two top 10-15 type players.

Just now, TEW said:

Miami didn't win a ring last year. When was the last time a team won a title without at least 1 super star? When's the last time a team won 2 or more titles without 2 or more super stars?

It seems to me if you actually want to win rings, you're going to need at least two top 10-15 type players.

With just one superstar you’d have kawhi but he did have siakam and Lowry as secondary guys. And dirk won a title with Jason Terry and Marion and butler as the main guys around him with Kidd and Peja at the end of their careers. 

18 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

With just one superstar you’d have kawhi but he did have siakam and Lowry as secondary guys. And dirk won a title with Jason Terry and Marion and butler as the main guys around him with Kidd and Peja at the end of their careers. 

Right, they had one super star, and won one championship.

He was saying you can win without a super star. I mean, you can I guess... the Pistons won that random title with Ben Wallace a while back... but from my view, you have to have at least 1 to have a realistic chance to actually win a title.

So if we go for the rebuild, we are back to (1) hoping we strike gold in the draft and/or (2) hoping a super star becomes available and actually wants to play here.

Problem is, #2 has proven to be pretty much a pipe dream even with what on paper was a really good young core. So you pretty much have to hit on #1 to even have a chance at #2, and you're still going to lose on #2 to Miami, LA, etc.

2 minutes ago, TEW said:

He was saying you can win without a super star. I mean, you can I guess... the Pistons won that random title with Ben Wallace a while back... but from my view, you have to have at least 1 to have a realistic chance to actually win a title.

So if we go for the rebuild, we are back to (1) hoping we strike gold in the draft and/or (2) hoping a super star becomes available and actually wants to play here.

Problem is, #2 has proven to be pretty much a pipe dream even with what on paper was a really good young core. So you pretty much have to hit on #1 to even have a chance at #2, and you're still going to lose on #2 to Miami, LA, etc.

I could go either way on it because I can understand not wanting to pay Embiid that type of money. However I think the Sixers are going to pay him anyways and I think if the Sixers fall flat this year they’re going to trade Ben Simmons and try to get someone like a Lillard. If the Sixers somehow pull off a Simmons for lillard deal then I think you tie yourself to Embiid getting that max extension and lillard for at least 3 to 4 years. If it fails at that point you’re probably not gonna be good at the end of their careers so you are going to draft high anyways. Also you could trade them as expiring contracts at the end of their deals. I think that’s the most realistic scenario that happens if Simmons is dealt for someone like Lillard.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

I dont think so.

Yeah 10 years. 

If you don't go 16-0 in the playoffs you are gone. Doesn't matter if you are the runner up MVP or not. 

Unless Joel openly states he wants to be traded he isn't going anywhere. Ben on the other hand already packed his bags once this year so he is definitely on the block if move anyone. 

18 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Yeah 10 years. 

If you don't go 16-0 in the playoffs you are gone. Doesn't matter if you are the runner up MVP or not. 

Unless Joel openly states he wants to be traded he isn't going anywhere. Ben on the other hand already packed his bags once this year so he is definitely on the block if move anyone. 

I tend to believe if the sixers come up short that they are actively looking to deal Ben knowing embiid doesn’t have years to waste anymore. If lillard hits the trade market i think they go all in and worry about building the team up around embiid, Harris, curry and assuming lillard after they accomplish that. I could see them dealing simmons, maxey, reed and picks to get that deal done.  Worry about the rest of the team after acquiring lillard 

9 hours ago, TEW said:

I think Utah, or Phoenix have a great shot this year. 

And the premise was that we would be process Era again for 5 years.  Then it became 3 years.  Then it moved to win a title. Then multiple titles...

I said I think you can win it without a big three these days.  I stand by it.  I don't think we will be anywhere close to a process Era team.  I think we will remain in contention. 

8 hours ago, TEW said:

No one said rebuild. The discussion has been about trading 1 player. Your all over the place.

• Like 1

The Bucks are too stupid of a team to win that series.  If we play the Nets, its obviously gonna be Simmons on Durant.  Harden can barely move and Kyrie will most likely be out.  If so, we should win that in 6.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

CP3 is out indefinitely.  Covid protocols.  

He has a week and is the President of the Players Union. I will bet he plays 

Just now, DaEagles4Life said:

He has a week and is the President of the Players Union. I will bet he plays 

Not if he is not vaccinated.  Then its 10-14 days.

Just now, Khani1 said:

Not if he is not vaccinated.  Then its 10-14 days.

Neither was LeBron and he played 48 hours later. 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Neither was LeBron and he played 48 hours later. 

Do I even have to respond to that?  That whinny b*tch gets whatever he wants.  Its his NBA.  And if CP3 actually caught Covid, that is a whole other problem.

Back to the Sixers....

They're 6 point favorites tonight. Considering Embid's health that seems like an awful lot...

17 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

so....umm.....is embiid playing tonight?  :unsure:   

Probably for a half before it gets to be too much is my guess 

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think Utah, or Phoenix have a great shot this year. 

And the premise was that we would be process Era again for 5 years.  Then it became 3 years.  Then it moved to win a title. Then multiple titles...

I said I think you can win it without a big three these days.  I stand by it.  I don't think we will be anywhere close to a process Era team.  I think we will remain in contention. 

Yeah, the ultimate goal is to win a title IMO. What is your ultimate goal?

I do think it would take about 5 years to get to that point. Maybe you can become competitive in 3, but realistically it’s going to take about 5 for a bunch of 19 year old rookies to mature to the point of really being title contenders.

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

No one said rebuild. The discussion has been about trading 1 player. Your all over the place.

If you trade Embiid and Simmons, you’re definitely rebuilding. You aren’t getting equal value for either of them, and you yourself think that you can’t win a title with them.

• Like 2

Too much offseason talk. The series is 2-2, and going back to Philly tonight. It’ll be 3-2 Sixers after tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Yeah, the ultimate goal is to win a title IMO. What is your ultimate goal?

I do think it would take about 5 years to get to that point. Maybe you can become competitive in 3, but realistically it’s going to take about 5 for a bunch of 19 year old rookies to mature to the point of really being title contenders.

To win a title is the ultimate goal.  You're not going to do it with Embiid and his health. 

Trading a player who is never healthy and sometimes not even available for playoffs isn't going to set the franchise back 5 years.  It's going to improve our playoff chances immediately.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

If you trade Embiid and Simmons, you’re definitely rebuilding. You aren’t getting equal value for either of them, and you yourself think that you can’t win a title with them.

I wasn't talking about trading Simmons at all.  I don't think we even agree on what's being discussed. 

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

I wasn't talking about trading Simmons at all.  I don't think we even agree on what's being discussed. 

So you’d keep Simmons?

My opinion is if you’re trading Embiid you should probably be trading Simmons as well. At this point he’s more of an elite role player than a star to build around. He’ll want huge money and his value is probably at its greatest right now.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

To win a title is the ultimate goal.  You're not going to do it with Embiid and his health. 

Trading a player who is never healthy and sometimes not even available for playoffs isn't going to set the franchise back 5 years.  It's going to improve our playoff chances immediately.

I mean, say what you will about his health, but the guy is an absolute force of nature when he’s healthy. If you swap him out for an all-star level player and picks, while keeping the rest of the team intact, we’re in that NBA purgatory realm where we fight to make the playoffs and get bounced early with no realistic chance to win it all.

At least with Embiid you have a roll of the dice where he might have a healthy stretch deep in the playoffs. So from that perspective I think it’s a step back as far as our chances of winning a ring.

That’s why I said I’d go full process again.