**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:

New year same Sixers - can’t close out games with a big lead

Been a doc rivers trait over the last decade. At some point i expect if it continues and the sixers underachieve they just fire him. 

• Like 1

No excuse for Embiid not to be living in the low post when Simmons isnt with the team. Shoulda been posting up all night. Did he even score in the 2nd half? I know he didnt score in the 4th at all.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Also, this is pathetic that Embiid had to do this before the game for Ben.

Ben is legit terrified of playing in front of the fans. Someone get this kid some therapy. 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Been a doc rivers trait over the last decade. At some point i expect if it continues and the sixers underachieve they just fire him. 

Out of the top 10 biggest playoff leads blown aren't like 4-5 of them by teams he coached?  I thought there was a stat posted here during the playoffs last season about it. 

I was following the last half of the 4th QTR on ESPN's gametracker when I had time to stop in front of the PC while doing stuff around the house.  I saw with a lead late they had all 5 starters in and was wondering why wouldn't you put in Thybulle for Curry for his D to help protect the lead?  Things like that make you wonder what Rivers is thinking, if he's thinking at all.  So they were up by 10 with 5:33 to go and got outscored 16-1 to close the game.  Pathetic.  Another blown double digit lead with less than half the 4th QTR remaining. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Out of the top 10 biggest playoff leads blown aren't like 4-5 of them by teams he coached?  I thought there was a stat posted here during the playoffs last season about it. 

I was following the last half of the 4th QTR on ESPN's gametracker when I had time to stop in front of the PC while doing stuff around the house.  I saw with a lead late they had all 5 starters in and was wondering why wouldn't you put in Thybulle for Curry for his D to help protect the lead?  Things like that make you wonder what Rivers is thinking, if he's thinking at all.  So they were up by 10 with 5:33 to go and got outscored 16-1 to close the game.  Pathetic.  Another blown double digit lead with less than half the 4th QTR remaining. 

In the 4th it was more an offensive issue. They didnt score for the last over 5 minutes of the game. 

D was an issue all of the 3rd quarter and in to the 4th. But the offense had been good enough to keep Brooklyn at arms length. The scoring drought really did them in.

11 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Besides Doc Rivers just doing what he always does over the last decade in this game, the sixers when they make the Simmons trade have to get someone who can start and be a scorer. If you can replace green in the starting lineup and down the last couple minutes with a more consistent scorer it would help prevent a 16-1 run. It would also make you much deeper on your bench and a much better role for green at this stage of his career. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Besides Doc Rivers just doing what he always does over the last decade in this game, the sixers when they make the Simmons trade have to get someone who can start and be a scorer. If you can replace green in the starting lineup and down the last couple minutes with a more consistent scorer it would help prevent a 16-1 run. It would also make you much deeper on your bench and a much better role for green at this stage of his career. 

Green shouldnt have been in the game in that spot. I called it before those airballs. He really shoulda been pulled after 1, and especially after 2. 

But in the trade, its probably more important to get a true PG and get Maxey to the bench. 

You can also say a real PG may compose the offense in those last few minutes. Run something good. Get guys in the right spots. Or, know when to take it himself. There was one point when Maxey dribbled to a mid-range. Hesitated as if he was about to shoot (he had space and coulda went straight up in rhythm) but he passed to Embiid, who inexplicably took a fade away mid-range (and the fade wasnt necessary). Of course he missed. And I trust Maxey's mid range game. I thought that was a point in the game where we coulda had a bucket from Maxey, and maybe broke the seal. But, the drought continued.

Aside from that, those quick 3s by Green were completely unnecessary. And getting the ball to a struggling Embiid all the way at the snake logo just wasnt going to work. He needed easy buckets under the basket to get us going again. These are things a PG can take command of. 

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Green shouldnt have been in the game in that spot. I called it before those airballs. He really shoulda been pulled after 1, and especially after 2. 

But in the trade, its probably more important to get a true PG and get Maxey to the bench. 

You can also say a real PG may compose the offense in those last few minutes. Run something good. Get guys in the right spots. Or, know when to take it himself. There was one point when Maxey dribbled to a mid-range. Hesitated as if he was about to shoot (he had space and coulda went straight up in rhythm) but he passed to Embiid, who inexplicably took a fade away mid-range (and the fade wasnt necessary). Of course he missed. And I trust Maxey's mid range game. I thought that was a point in the game where we coulda had a bucket from Maxey, and maybe broke the seal. But, the drought continued.

Aside from that, those quick 3s by Green were completely unnecessary. And getting the ball to a struggling Embiid all the way at the snake logo just wasnt going to work. He needed easy buckets under the basket to get us going again. These are things a PG can take command of. 

I think it depends on if they see Maxey as a long-term solution at the Point Guard position tbh. He was always going to have his growing pains and they might just live with that for a year in hopes that by the end of the year or next year it helps him progress and become what they envision at the position.

I’m not against them getting another point guard in the trade but i think you likely have to hope Portland trades CJ who’s more of a combo (morey wants lillard), kings to give up Halliburton or trade for d. Russell and i rather not have Russell. The trade that would’ve helped this year that they can’t make anymore is levert and brogdon cause could’ve moved maxey and green to the bench. 

Awful coaching by Doc cost them this game down the stretch. I have no idea why he didn't bring Embiid in after the Thybulle dunk TO since he was standing at the scorers table waiting to come in. Embiid stayed off for about another 2 minutes. He then proceeded to have the teams best player set screens while Danny Green chucked up airballs. I think he took one shot in that whole period. Then there was the failure of not challenging the charge. 

Loss was 90% on Doc, 10% on Embiid. Jo needs to find a way to get in the low post, not settle for all these jumpers. I like that he has a mid-range game but it needs to be used to keep defenders honest to help him open up his chances underneath. 

And Doc… wow. Poor timeout usage, horrible rotations, failing to challenge an obvious charge. And the Danny Green love affair cost them. After his second air ball 3 he should have been benched and Kork brought in. 

With all that said, I still think the team is better without Simmons. 

• Like 2

Doc also blamed another coach for not using the challenge.

Didn't he just preach accountability, what a joke 

Danny Green was azzz at the beginning of last season too....I'm not too worried about that.  

I'm more worried about jojo's knees.

5 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

Danny Green was azzz at the beginning of last season too....I'm not too worried about that.  

I'm more worried about jojo's knees.

He was grabbing his knees the first game. 

In case everyone has not noticed, the 76ers are going nowhere fast.  And this isn't just a 2021 problem, it's this entire iteration of the process/Embiid era/nucleus of the team.  Going nowhere.  And no matter how much you can or want to blame Morey, there is no personnel decision or trade that can change it at this point.  The train has left the station.  This is written.

But...they can still find a way to trot Ben out in front of the home crowd.  That really should be the primary goal at this point.

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

no accountability. 

:nonono:

As much as i can’t wait for them to trade Ben Simmons, just behind that is firing doc. He’s proven over the last decade to be a mediocre coach when it matters the most (being generous with some teams he had that came up way short or blew big leads/series). He’s also terrible with adjustments and rotations. If we have an underwhelming season i hope the only silver lining in it is that doc is canned afterwards 

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

In case everyone has not noticed, the 76ers are going nowhere fast.  And this isn't just a 2021 problem, it's this entire iteration of the process/Embiid era/nucleus of the team.  Going nowhere.  And no matter how much you can or want to blame Morey, there is no personnel decision or trade that can change it at this point.  The train has left the station.  This is written.

But...they can still find a way to trot Ben out in front of the home crowd.  That really should be the primary goal at this point.

Explain why because this team with a lead guard has enough talent to win a title. I don't think Joel will stay healthy enough to do it though. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As much as i can’t wait for them to trade Ben Simmons, just behind that is firing doc. He’s proven over the last decade to be a mediocre coach when it matters the most (being generous with some teams he had that came up way short or blew big leads/series). He’s also terrible with adjustments and rotations. If we have an underwhelming season i hope the only silver lining in it is that doc is canned afterwards 

His rotations are absolutely horrendous. Still playing five bench guys to start the 4th when Nets have Harden playing. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Explain why because this team with a lead guard has enough talent to win a title. I don't think Joel will stay healthy enough to do it though. 

His rotations are absolutely horrendous. Still playing five bench guys to start the 4th when Nets have Harden playing. 

The 5 bench unit plays well. I have no problem with that. The starters in the last 5 minutes is what really sunk this team.

He should have had Joel in earlier, because he was way out of rhythm. And by that time the offense already was in a long drought, and Green hadnt scored since early 1st quarter. So for offense he should have had Kork in there. I felt that way even before Green shot those 2 air balls. It only made it even worse when he didnt sub after them.

18 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Why do I have to explain it when you already did?

1.  They don’t have a lead guard…Ben Simmons still being here demonstrates that they also have no realistic pathway to obtaining one.

2.  Even if they do get one, you just said you don’t think Joel will be healthy enough to do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Why do I have to explain it when you already did?

1.  They don’t have a lead guard…Ben Simmons still being here demonstrates that they also have no realistic pathway to obtaining one.

2.  Even if they do get one, you just said you don’t think Joel will be healthy enough to do it.

Yep. Though I love Embiid his one flaw is fatal. Thats why I was not interested in giving him the super max. We will never win a title with him. He will never be healthy enough to do it.

It makes the most sense to take back a Brogdon level player and picks because the picks are the most important thing. Embiid will keep us in contention for a while, and that player will help too, but we need to be accumulating young talent and assets to be ready for when the team, or he, finally realizes its time to move on. 

You dont try to build a championship team around Embiid at this point. There is no such thing. We know that by now. 

Ill enjoy him while he is here but the goal needs to be building for the future for when he is gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

yeah...they had the almighty nets beaten if not for doc being an idiot....and that was without Ben or whatever they eventually get for him. 

28 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yep. Though I love Embiid his one flaw is fatal. Thats why I was not interested in giving him the super max. We will never win a title with him. He will never be healthy enough to do it.

It makes the most sense to take back a Brogdon level player and picks because the picks are the most important thing. Embiid will keep us in contention for a while, and that player will help too, but we need to be accumulating young talent and assets to be ready for when the team, or he, finally realizes its time to move on. 

You dont try to build a championship team around Embiid at this point. There is no such thing. We know that by now. 

Ill enjoy him while he is here but the goal needs to be building for the future for when he is gone. 

Great post.  Totally agree