**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

1 minute ago, DaEagles4Life said:

To me that's a clear sign that Ben was at least received as genuine when he addressed his teammates. 

1 minute ago, mayanh8 said:

To me that's a clear sign that Ben was at least received as genuine when he addressed his teammates. 

Eh...or they know he's full of crap, but this way they get to take the high road publicly. 

Based on Embiid's statements, I think the team is 100% done with Ben and couldn't care less. They seem to be using it as a unifying force -- common enemy.

The annoying part is Ben is going to try and play the mental health card to still get paid. Calling him out for faking a physical injury is easy. Trying to call him out like this will paint the organization in a negative light, given the sissified nature of current society. It's the first smart thing Ben has done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there it is. Using it to get paid not to play.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32452090/ben-simmons-tells-philadelphia-76ers-not-mentally-ready-play-sources-say

All-Star Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons plans to meet with medical professionals for an evaluation after telling the team Friday that he wasn't mentally ready to play to his expectations and needed time to step away, sources told ESPN.

Simmons met separately with coach Doc Rivers, medical staff and teammates Friday morning at the team's facility in Camden, New Jersey, and started a process that is expected to continue to keep him from making his season debut, sources said.

After he told the team's medical staff of his reasons for needing to seek help, the Sixers continued to offer Simmons whatever resources are necessary to assist him, sources said.

The Sixers have been fining Simmons for missing games, practices and meetings -- nearing $2 million this season -- but there is a provision in the collective bargaining agreement that protects players' salaries for failing to render services "if such failure has been caused by the player's mental disability."

Simmons, 25, requested a trade four months ago and has told the team that he has no interest in returning to play for the franchise again. The Sixers have been unable to find a trade that meets their threshold for a return package that includes a high-level All-Star player, and have wanted Simmons on the floor to honor his contract. Simmons has four years and $147 million left on his five-year maximum deal.

Simmons left the team's practice facility Thursday without participating in a scheduled individual workout. He did undergo a brief treatment on his back before the Sixers' medical team cleared him for on-court participation.

In a Philadelphia radio interview with 97.5 The Fanatic on Thursday, 76ers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey reiterated that the team wouldn't be rushed into trading Simmons, saying, "People should buckle in. This is going to take a long time."

Simmons' agent, Rich Paul, had told Sixers officials that Simmons wasn't mentally prepared to play, sources said, and that was a message that Simmons relayed directly Friday morning ahead of Philadelphia's game against the Brooklyn Nets (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN).

Simmons was suspended for the Sixers' victory over the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday after Rivers threw him out of practice Tuesday for failing to sub into a practice session. Simmons lost approximately $227,000 for Wednesday night's suspension.

The Sixers had hoped to see Simmons work out Thursday and have him go through shootaround Friday, sources said. The 76ers did not practice Thursday, and Simmons has yet to fully engage in a team practice since reporting Oct. 11 after a two-week holdout.

25 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Eh...or they know he's full of crap, but this way they get to take the high road publicly. 

Based on Embiid's statements, I think the team is 100% done with Ben and couldn't care less. They seem to be using it as a unifying force -- common enemy.

The annoying part is Ben is going to try and play the mental health card to still get paid. Calling him out for faking a physical injury is easy. Trying to call him out like this will paint the organization in a negative light, given the sissified nature of current society. It's the first smart thing Ben has done.

So you don't think there's anything he can say to the team that would move the needle with them?

3 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I think the difference here is the players who have run the show in the past were actually good and had value.

They also didn’t have 4 years left on a contract and weren’t 1 year into the new contract. Almost every other player had 1 to 1.5 years left when they began to pull this. 

Just now, mayanh8 said:

So you don't think there's anything he can say to the team that would move the needle with them?

He could accept responsibility and start working on the shortcomings in his game. He would also have to apologize to Joel for basically saying he didn't want to play with him.

Of course, it's more likely that Trump comes out and endorses Biden than any of that happening.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I think the fans care more about this than the players do. 

Morey and Ownership have dug in and we already see Ben and his team cracking. He will be playing sooner than later 

2 hours ago, vikas83 said:

The differences between this and Harden/Davis are multi-fold:

1. Harden and Davis are superstars and were by far and away the best players on the teams they were leaving. Ben is an all-star and isn't the Sixers' best player. He's not an MVP candidate. 

2. Harden and Davis were asking to leave terrible teams that couldn't win -- this generated sympathy from fans and others that their primes were being wasted by incompetent franchises. Same thing with guys like Garnett, Pau Gasol and Kevin Love. The Sixers were the #1 seed last year FFS.

3. As you pointed out, Ben just signed a max extension and has 4 years left.

This is the fight the NBA wants, and the Sixers/league are winning. A more marginal star is trying to get out of a long-term contract because his feelings were hurt, and the organization is saying enough. They'll keep saying play, he'll keep skipping and getting suspended and fined. Morey isn't going to blink, and the NBA won't make him -- every other team wants the Sixers to prevail. 

Yup. They don’t want this happening as much as anyone. They are fine when the player has a year or maybe close to the last year of his contract. But when it’s 4 years left on a contract at some point the owners and league doesn’t want to see that happen. It’s why there’s been rumors of the owners wanting to rip up or at least amend the current cba so it can’t happen again down the road. Silver, the owners are in the sixers corner on this. I’d add i don’t believe the players association are exactly thrilled by it either 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup. They don’t want this happening as much as anyone. They are fine when the player has a year or maybe close to the last year of his contract. But when it’s 4 years left on a contract at some point the owners and league doesn’t want to see that happen. It’s why there’s been rumors of the owners wanting to rip up or at least amend the current cba so it can’t happen again down the road. Silver, the owners are in the sixers corner on this. I’d add i don’t believe the players association are exactly thrilled by it either 

The players association has been suspiciously quiet on this, and no star players are coming out to support Ben. Even LeBron is staying quiet despite Ben's agent being Rich Paul. 

Durant and Harden at least have been kinda supportive of Kyire. Embiid has been dunking on Ben. The players in the league and on this team aren't with him. The fans aren't with him. The league isn't with him. He has ZERO support other than some former players on TV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

The players association has been suspiciously quiet on this, and no star players are coming out to support Ben. Even LeBron is staying quiet despite Ben's agent being Rich Paul. 

Durant and Harden at least have been kinda supportive of Kyire. Embiid has been dunking on Ben. The players in the league and on this team aren't with him. The fans aren't with him. The league isn't with him. He has ZERO support other than some former players on TV.

Yeah i think it’s awfully quiet by the players association on this matter. It’s likely cause they don’t really want to have to defend this because it makes for a poor reflection on the entire league when you sign a contract and with 4 years left start pulling this. If you believe Tyrone Johnson from 97.5 with his sources saying the NBAPA isn’t happy with what’s going on 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Even LeBron is staying quiet despite Ben's agent being Rich Paul. 

Lebron knows Ben is weak minded that's why he makes him look like a clown by staying 10ft back when guarding him showing zero respect for Ben's game. 

27 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Many players came from nothing and had to work their tails off to get to the NBA. They may see Simmons as an entitled rich kid who was handed things. Many of the top stars are also driven to win and I'd bet they don't respect him right now.

Of course he is.  

He represents his age group.  Biles...that tennis player....etc.  

Now the moronic mainstream media will label him as "brave"......f-ing disgusting.    WokESPN or CNN will be all over this.  You watch,  

• Like 4

I said this a few months ago, but there's no doubt in my mind that he grew up in a Fed up, probably abusive household and has an obvious fear of failure. 

He's not even left handed.... His dad forced him to shoot left handed. 

Between that, the way his sister acts and the other abuse rumors, there's no doubt he's legitimately messed up in the head 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lol he is delusional he isn't getting a difference maker for Simmons. 

He’s not delusional.  He knows he’s not.  But he’s saying he won’t trade Ben until he does.

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

I said this a few months ago, but there's no doubt in my mind that he grew up in a Fed up, probably abusive household and has an obvious fear of failure. 

He's not even left handed.... His dad forced him to shoot left handed. 

Between that, the way his sister acts and the other abuse rumors, there's no doubt he's legitimately messed up in the head 

Who isn’t? Shoot the damn ball.

• Like 2