**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I’m not concerned about the wins/losses in that situation, I’m just trying to get Ben’s value up from zero to at least something. 

Not sure how it goes up at this point thru playing unless he starts making shots and he isn’t going to do that. 

Team needs a wing more than a lead guard and they still need a lead guard. 

Two pretty big holes with Thybulle and Green giving you basically nothing and not trusting Maxey to run an offense against a real defensive team. 

13 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Team needs a wing more than a lead guard and they still need a lead guard. 

Two pretty big holes with Thybulle and Green giving you basically nothing and not trusting Maxey to run an offense against a real defensive team. 

I know Maxey isn’t the ideal fit but do think he gives enough at the PG spot that bringing in a starting wing is more critical. Green should 100% be coming off the bench. 

If they can get a deal done for Ben, IMO priority one is getting a player to push Green to the bench. If that can’t happen, then sure get a PG. I would still keep Maxey in the starting lineup myself, though, and shift him to the 2 guard. Curry then adds extra shooting off the bench. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I know Maxey isn’t the ideal fit but do think he gives enough at the PG spot that bringing in a starting wing is more critical. Green should 100% be coming off the bench. 

If they can get a deal done for Ben, IMO priority one is getting a player to push Green to the bench. If that can’t happen, then sure get a PG. I would still keep Maxey in the starting lineup myself, though, and shift him to the 2 guard. Curry then adds extra shooting off the bench. 

When you look at the best teams in the league they all have a guy that can create a shot off the dribble. Whether that is a lead guard or Ingram type they need one. We saw it last year, they didn't have a guy to get them a bucket. 

4 hours ago, nipples said:

Nice stat line for Maxey last night anyway. 16, 6, and 6. Had a couple of real nice passes. I know he isn’t a natural PG, but I’m still a believer that he can grow into the role. 

Michael Carter Williams used to put up numbers like that. 

It's only 5 games, but his advanced metrics don't look so hot. 

His defense is pretty subpar and he's a career 30% shooter from 3. 

I think he can be a nice sparkplug off the bench, but don't see him as a point guard on a contending team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I think he can be a nice sparkplug off the bench, but don't see him as a point guard on a contending team 

agree 100%.  sixers could use 2 pg's right now...one to start & one for the bench. they can't hold leads because teams play pressure defense when they're down big & the sixers don't have any true pg's to run the show. 

18 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

MCW put up numbers because he was all they had. He was the best player on a team of G League quality players. 

Not sure how you can watch the two play and think they are even close to comparable. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

MCW put up numbers because he was all they had. He was the best player on a team of G League quality players. 

Not sure how you can watch the two play and think they are even close to comparable. 

I'm not saying they're the same player.  I'm saying stat lines can be misleading. 

Maxey isn't even 21 yet.  He didn't play point in college.  Do I think it's too early to thrust him in the starting PG role...yes.  Do I think he has potential in the future to become a good PG...yes.  He would ideally be heading up the second unit right now but thanks to BS his timeline has been accelerated.  He'll struggle against better competition and it'll take him some time to fit with the starters.  But to me the whole offense on both units is very disjointed right now.  For now Maxey can take his lumps and learn against the other teams starters until we can hopefully get a lead guard for BS.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

agree 100%.  sixers could use 2 pg's right now...one to start & one for the bench. they can't hold leads because teams play pressure defense when they're down big & the sixers don't have any true pg's to run the show. 

Are a few available in my opinion than can run a team. 

Rubio, Dragic, Tyus Jones 

Maxey isnt ready to start at PG but this team isnt contending for a title so I dont mind watching him grow there until we can trade for one. In the meantime we can probably improve the bench by signing Exum or Dunn.

40 minutes ago, rambo said:

Maxey isn't even 21 yet.  He didn't play point in college.  Do I think it's too early to thrust him in the starting PG role...yes.  Do I think he has potential in the future to become a good PG...yes.  He would ideally be heading up the second unit right now but thanks to BS his timeline has been accelerated.  He'll struggle against better competition and it'll take him some time to fit with the starters.  But to me the whole offense on both units is very disjointed right now.  For now Maxey can take his lumps and learn against the other teams starters until we can hopefully get a lead guard for BS.

You kind of proved the point with saying Maxey wasn't a lead guard in college. The NBA is levels above college so learning on the fly for a contending team is just dumb. Say the Sixers play the Celtics first round of the playoffs, Smart will eat him alive. Then another year wasted 

He has never done it before and it kind of feels like they are not putting him in the best position to succeed. 

It should not have taken years for the Sixers to realize Simmons and Embiid didn't fit together so I would be a bit concerned they try this with Maxey. 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

You kind of proved the point with saying Maxey wasn't a lead guard in college. The NBA is levels above college so learning on the fly for a contending team is just dumb. Say the Sixers play the Celtics first round of the playoffs, Smart will eat him alive. Then another year wasted 

He has never done it before and it kind of feels like they are not putting him in the best position to succeed. 

My point wasn't that he should be starting on a contending team.  He shouldn't.  There's nobody on the roster who is a better option atm (maybe Shake but he's not an answer either).  I'm hopeful a Simmons deal gets done and we get a lead guard around the trade deadline.  For now, it is what it is.  He's obviously still learning and growing as a player and not ready to take the reigns of an offense yet.  Until we can get the whole turd sandwich situation figured out, I look forward to watching him.

Just now, rambo said:

My point wasn't that he should be starting on a contending team.  He shouldn't.  There's nobody on the roster who is a better option atm (maybe Shake but he's not an answer either).  I'm hopeful a Simmons deal gets done and we get a lead guard around the trade deadline.  For now, it is what it is.  He's obviously still learning and growing as a player and not ready to take the reigns of an offense yet.  Until we can get the whole turd sandwich situation figured out, I look forward to watching him.

But why not keep him in the role he excels at? No one is pro position less basketball than me, but Maxey is just best off ball. 

5 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

But why not keep him in the role he excels at? No one is pro position less basketball than me, but Maxey is just best off ball. 

I disagree.  He needs the ball to be a scorer.  His problem is he can't handle running an offense full time right now.  I don't want him camping a corner or running through screens for a jumper.  I want him beating his man off the dribble and in pick n rolls.  He's working on his pull up game for when defenders sag under the pick.  We saw it in the preseason.  He's just been a bit gun shy to pull the trigger so far.  He's been deferring to Embiid, Harris and even Curry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rambo said:

I disagree.  He needs the ball to be a scorer.  His problem is he can't handle running an offense full time right now.  I don't want him camping a corner or running through screens for a jumper.  I want him beating his man off the dribble and in pick n rolls.  He's working on his pull up game for when defenders sag under the pick.  We saw it in the preseason.  He's just been a bit gun shy to pull the trigger so far.  He's been deferring to Embiid, Harris and even Curry.

And this is what most young, inexperienced players would do.  This is why I'd prefer him playing sig minutes with the bench unit.  He needs minutes where he is the focal point of the offense while he is developing his skills and adjusting to the NBA.  

The step back 3 at the end is what I want to see.  Punish defenders for sagging and going under screens and picks.  Start hitting that with consistency and driving to the bucket gets even easier.

7 minutes ago, rambo said:

The step back 3 at the end is what I want to see.  Punish defenders for sagging and going under screens and picks.  Start hitting that with consistency and driving to the bucket gets even easier.

I agree.  Fail to respect his shot and he makes you pay.  It’s why Ben can never be expected to be a long term solution as a drive-the-paint player.  Nobody will ever respect him as an outside threat, so they’re free to clog the paint and shut him down.  I think we’re all on the same page there.

26 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Maxey on growing in the starting PG role.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/?p=53098

This part is exactly why I think this kid can become something:

"It’s just a work in progress,” Maxey said. "It’s the fifth game, stuff is slowing down. I’m figuring out where guys want the ball, trying to find switches or advantages that work for us. So it’s getting a lot better. Like I said the coaching staff and my teammates they’ve been great. They’ve been helping me, they’ve been patient and critiquing me and been hard on me to help me and I really appreciate them.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

This part is exactly why I think this kid can become something:

"It’s just a work in progress,” Maxey said. "It’s the fifth game, stuff is slowing down. I’m figuring out where guys want the ball, trying to find switches or advantages that work for us. So it’s getting a lot better. Like I said the coaching staff and my teammates they’ve been great. They’ve been helping me, they’ve been patient and critiquing me and been hard on me to help me and I really appreciate them.”

Yep. He has talent. He wants to be coached. Even appreciates hard coaching. And works like crazy. If they wanted him to start at center Id have confidence in him to become a dominant center. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yep. He has talent. He wants to be coached. Even appreciates hard coaching. And works like crazy. If they wanted him to start at center Id have confidence in him to become a dominant center. 

Strong work ethic and a willingness to accept criticism as a teaching tool rather than disrespect.  The anti-Ben…

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

Strong work ethic and a willingness to accept criticism as a teaching tool rather than disrespect.  The anti-Ben…

I was gonna say the kid is the opposite of Ben, too.  If you could take his mindset and put it in Ben you'd have a top 5 player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rambo said:

I was gonna say the kid is the opposite of Ben, too.  If you could take his mindset and put it in Ben you'd have a top 5 player.

No question about it.  He’d at least be a passable shooter, to boot.

2 hours ago, rambo said:

You do know you  can be off ball scorer and not the lead guard. 

Donovan Mitchell, CJ McCollum, Devin Booker became unleashed when he finally got a lead guard, DeRozen, Colin Sexton, Jordan Poole list goes on. 

Dude is just not a lead guard on a team that wants to contend for a title. They need a vet such as Rubio, Tyus Jones, or Dragic and badly.