The Movie Thread

Agent23

"Hustle” is definitely worth your time. Good movie.

More importantly, the good Sydney Sweeney scenes are the best things put on film since Alexandra Daddario in "True Detective.”

8 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I watched this last night - she did get naked but all you see is her butt.  I give this post 0 stars.

As for the movie - it was OK.  It was weird just like all of Eggers' movies, but it held my attention.  The final scene was pretty cool.

Weird is an understatement. I wasn't a fan

• Haha 1

Just now, Mat said:

Weird is an understatement. I wasn't a fan

I think he captured pretty well what it was probably like living as a Viking in the 800s, but yeah there were a few scenes where I was like wtf is this garbage - especially early on

Saw Lightyear with my little kids. Didn’t realize but people dumping all over it online. Then read reviews. Oh no Disney wokeness. They show a gay couple have a kid. I mean it wasn’t perfect, but I enjoyed it more than Turning Red or some other recent Disney efforts. The big surprise was that it’s based on Buzz lightyear movie that Tim Allen voiced toy came from and isn’t the Toy Story toys. Don’t listen to the naysayers. was a good movie for kids and I liked the twist.  

2 hours ago, homerpat said:

Saw Lightyear with my little kids. Didn’t realize but people dumping all over it online. Then read reviews. Oh no Disney wokeness. They show a gay couple have a kid. I mean it wasn’t perfect, but I enjoyed it more than Turning Red or some other recent Disney efforts. The big surprise was that it’s based on Buzz lightyear movie that Tim Allen voiced toy came from and isn’t the Toy Story toys. Don’t listen to the naysayers. was a good movie for kids and I liked the twist.  

That was the twist? I thought it was pretty self explanatory from just the trailer. 

22 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That was the twist? I thought it was pretty self explanatory from just the trailer. 

No there is a surprise twist near end. People were just pissy it wasn’t about toy story buzz and that it was the movie the toy was based off of. Could have worded my post better to delineate the two

• Like 1

Hustle is as great as advertised. My only complaint is it’s a better done NBA remake of The Scout. Much better movie, but borrows a lot from it

15 hours ago, homerpat said:

Hustle is as great as advertised. My only complaint is it’s a better done NBA remake of The Scout. Much better movie, but borrows a lot from it

That’s what I kept thinking when I watched it.  It was The Scout, but the NBA version (and, as you said, better).

I saw Spiderhead yesterday on Netflix.  It was okay.  I wasn’t a fan of it, but the cast had me interested enough to watch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

That’s what I kept thinking when I watched it.  It was The Scout, but the NBA version (and, as you said, better).

I saw Spiderhead yesterday on Netflix.  It was okay.  I wasn’t a fan of it, but the cast had me interested enough to watch.

I watched this last night - I'm in the same boat.  Good cast, story was good enough to keep me interested but it wasn't anything special.  There was a lot of stuff that was kinda left unexplained.  

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

Did Jurassic World bomb? 

No.  Won box office 2nd week in a row over Lightyear.  Took my son to see it, he's dino obsessed.  He loved it.  It was definitely better than the last one which isn't saying much, Fallen Kingdom was terrible.  This one had a lot of new dinosaurs and action.  It had it's dumb moments but not as bad as some of the others.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

We watched it last night.  Meh.  

Re watched, No Country for Old Men, twice this weekend and movie is just about perfect. 

• Like 1

I liked Lightyear. The sound mix was a little underwhelming considering we watched it with Atmos, but otherwise a pretty enjoyable film

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

No.  Won box office 2nd week in a row over Lightyear.  Took my son to see it, he's dino obsessed.  He loved it.  It was definitely better than the last one which isn't saying much, Fallen Kingdom was terrible.  This one had a lot of new dinosaurs and action.  It had it's dumb moments but not as bad as some of the others.  

Ok good. I would like to finish the trilogy. Agreed on Fallen Kingdom. It started off good but after the first half hour it sucked hard

22 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Ok good. I would like to finish the trilogy. Agreed on Fallen Kingdom. It started off good but after the first half hour it sucked hard

This movie does a lot of "correcting" some things from the entire series, from the accuracy of the dinosaurs to some plot points that were unnecessary, to focusing just a bit more on characters as well.  Compared to the other sequels, it was actually pretty good.  Certainly some things that were dumb or poorly written but that's to be expected.

6 hours ago, Mat said:

I liked Lightyear. The sound mix was a little underwhelming considering we watched it with Atmos, but otherwise a pretty enjoyable film

I dozed off a little towards the end so I don't actually remember what happens. 

I saw him meet old him that wanted to do some time travel and then my memory goes blank

7 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I dozed off a little towards the end so I don't actually remember what happens. 

Hide contents

I saw him meet old him that wanted to do some time travel and then my memory goes blank

Old him wanted to undo them crashing there. Young Buzz after getting to know the crew and realising that everyone had built a life there with families that would not have happened if it's all undone decides he doesn't want to undo it. Old Buzz then tries to go ahead with the plan anyway 

I went and saw Elvis with my mum tonight. Cliff notes version without spoiling it

Very Baz Luhrmann where he prioritised style over substance

It felt disjointed because of this because the story is a bit all over the place

It drags towards the end since it is close to 3 hours with previews. 

The movie is watchable, but I wouldn't rush out to see it and not a must on the big screen

3 hours ago, Mat said:

I went and saw Elvis with my mum tonight. Cliff notes version without spoiling it

Very Baz Luhrmann where he prioritised style over substance

It felt disjointed because of this because the story is a bit all over the place

It drags towards the end since it is close to 3 hours with previews. 

The movie is watchable, but I wouldn't rush out to see it and not a must on the big screen

I travel sunday afternoon back to NY... this has not made my priority list of things to squeeze in before traveling... Multiverse of Madness on Disney+ is the closest thing I may re-watch... and if I can download Disney+ films to my ipad for offline viewing, that may be how I pass time on the 2hr flight. Elvis will have to wait!

On 6/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, Mat said:

I like it as well.  I had low expectations going into it, but it surprised me and thought it was well done.  Going to be a lot of new toys for Disney to sell from this movie.

I had to watch a movie for a class called Silence directed by Scorsese.  I had never heard of it, but it was terrific.  Many more questions than answers when it was all said and done, but I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

On Netflix, I saw No Escape Room.  I highly recommend skipping this movie.  While watching the movie, I couldn’t tell if this was a real movie, or was supposed to be some sort of mock of the Escape Room type of movies (think like Funny Games).  It ended up that’s not what they were going for.  There’s random fades and changing of scenes for no apparent reason.  The twist at the end was odd and didn’t really help answer any questions.