The Movie Thread

Agent23

Seeing The Last Duel or whatever its called tonight where Jason Bourne takes on Kylo Ren in medieval looking times! 

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

where Jason Bourne takes on Kylo Ren in medieval looking times! 

Lololol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cinemas reopened for the first time since August this week (we've been in lockdown again). They were showing all the stuff that released through the lockdown period so I went 5 times this week. Thoughts below

Shang-Chi and the Legend of The 10 Rings - This is the first movie I went and saw. I haven't watched any of the Marvel movies other than the Guardian of The Galaxy films, Black Panther and Captain Marvel. This one interested me from the previews and it was a pretty good film. The fight scenes were f'ing amazing. The plot trailed off and became a little bit nonsensical at times, but overall it was a pretty good film.

The Last Duel I had no idea what the film was about going in and just expected it to be knight fights. It had pretty good reviews so I thought I would give it a shot and the action should at least make it entertaining. The film is definitely not what I expected, and while there were some gorey action scenes it's not what the subject matter is about. It is pretty confronting and also pretty relevant to today's society.  It's a great film and worth a watch. 

Free Guy - This was originally supposed to release the week after we went into lockdown. It had released for free on Disney+ but I was still holding off to try and watch it on the big screen. It was worth the wait. Awesome movie and looked really pretty on the big screen. Plot is a little cliche and predictable but it was still extremely entertaining and a fun watch. 

Pig - Against my better judgement I decided to go and watch Pig. Nick Cage is right at the top of my s***list of crap actos in horrible films. I expected it to be either amazing or horrendous with no middle ground. It was in the middle ground. I probably agree with this

On 8/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, mikemack8 said:

I wasn’t as impressed with Pig as most seemed to be - high quality acting, mediocre plot IMO

Nick Cage actually did a really great job. The film also looks really pretty with the cinematography on point. The plot/script is terrible to below average. It's like you're waiting for something to happen and then it's just dull or ridiculous at times. Best example

The chef fight club. I was thinking initially he was going to be some epic fighter from the fight club, nope, he was just some hobo chef that gets his ass beat looking for his Pig. 

Eternals - A guy I work with scored tickets to a preview screening so this ended up being the second film I watched that day after Pig. What an average film at best. This was probably the worst film I watched out of all 5. Very mediocre with wasted potential. 

They also make two separate references to DC films in Superman and Batman. I had to go and double check this was actually a Marvel film

Honestly probably only worth watching if you're bored at home and it's on a streaming service. It's maybe a 5 out of 10

Next movie on my list is Red Notice which I'll watch with my parents tomorrow.

Dune doesn't release until December here but that's the main one I'm looking forward to watching 

Eternals was also my weakest on that list. I’m surprised you haven’t don’t the marvel run. We need to get you on that 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:31 AM, Agent23 said:

Eternals was also my weakest on that list. I’m surprised you haven’t don’t the marvel run. We need to get you on that 

I don't like Robert Downey Jr. so I would struggle to make it through the Iron Man movies. Considering they all follow on from one another I probably can't skip them entirely and then he would be in all the crossover/ensemble ones as well so I never bothered.

I watched Black Panther because it looked interesting and my guy Michael B. Jordan was in it. Guardians I got one for a present and enjoyed it so I watched 2 which I hated. Captain Marvel a friend wanted to see so I tagged along which was meh. I did start watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D with my dad which was decent for the first season and a bit that we watched. Shang-Chi is the only other one that has stood out for me that I wanted to go watch.

Having said that, the new Spiderman looks pretty cool with the multiverse so I might go watch that as well. 

I went and saw a couple more movies over the last two days. 

Red Notice - It is action movie by numbers but I still found it enjoyable. Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne Johnson play the same character they do in just about everything else. The plot is fairly predictable and overall it is an easy watch. I went and saw it with my parents since my dad loves generic action movies and mum loves Ryan Reynolds and The Rock. They both really liked it. 

Respect - This had pretty audience reviews on RT and I went and watched it with my aunt. It also follows the same formula of just about every biopic in the last 15 years. Focus on childhood trauma, show broken family dynamic and substance abuse issue. At the end of the film they mention all the awards and what Aretha was able to achieve in her life, it felt like a waste of a movie because it was 2.5 hours of generic cookie cutter. Overall it's a solid movie with great acting, but it probably had the opportunity to be a lot more and they squandered it. 

5 hours ago, Mat said:

I don't like Robert Downey Jr. so I would struggle to make it through the Iron Man movies. Considering they all follow on from one another I probably can't skip them entirely and then he would be in all the crossover/ensemble ones as well so I never bothered.

I watched Black Panther because it looked interesting and my guy Michael B. Jordan was in it. Guardians I got one for a present and enjoyed it so I watched 2 which I hated. Captain Marvel a friend wanted to see so I tagged along which was meh. I did start watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D with my dad which was decent for the first season and a bit that we watched. Shang-Chi is the only other one that has stood out for me that I wanted to go watch.

Having said that, the new Spiderman looks pretty cool with the multiverse so I might go watch that as well. 

I don’t think I had any attachment to enjoying RDJ prior (I think just US Marshalls because of Snipes and Tommy Lee Jones), but iron man 100% won me over. I think you would greatly enjoy the overall arc of the films and find many characters/storyline you will be really impressed by 

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

I don’t think I had any attachment to enjoying RDJ prior (I think just US Marshalls because of Snipes and Tommy Lee Jones), but iron man 100% won me over. I think you would greatly enjoy the overall arc of the films and find many characters/storyline you will be really impressed by 

You missed a lot of great stuff if Iron Man won you over. Go into his catalogue. Some great movies.  

• 2 weeks later...

For as big of a Tom Cruise fan as I am, I never knew a Ridley Scott movie by the name of Legend existed ($4.99 on Vudu) and the trailer for it looks straight bonkers :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

For as big of a Tom Cruise fan as I am, I never knew a Ridley Scott movie by the name of Legend existed ($4.99 on Vudu) and the trailer for it looks straight bonkers :lol: 

Seriously brah?  Legend is a, how do I say it, Legend!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

He also did a little movie called Risky Business. Oh also the Outsiders if we are naming popular Tom Cruise movies from the 80’s that aren’t Top Gun

10 hours ago, homerpat said:

He also did a little movie called Risky Business. Oh also the Outsiders if we are naming popular Tom Cruise movies from the 80’s that aren’t Top Gun

Losing It is underrated and funny imo.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, homerpat said:

I’ve seen risky business. Outsiders. All the right moves. Cocktail. I think I’ve seen Taps but not 100%… but this one someone snuck past me!

10 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

And now I have to watch Legend again.  

Is it actually rewatchable? It looked like the chick from Ferris bueller was in it too? 

Went to the movie theater for the first time in 2 and a half years last night for Ghostbusters Afterlife (a lot of fun).

I hadn't given thought to going to movies, nothing grabbed my attention or it was streaming, plus COVID mindset. I didn't realize how cheap the tickets are, around $6. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NOTW said:

Went to the movie theater for the first time in 2 and a half years last night for Ghostbusters Afterlife (a lot of fun).

I hadn't given thought to going to movies, nothing grabbed my attention or it was streaming, plus COVID mindset. I didn't realize how cheap the tickets are, around $6. 

So you found a matinee. Those existed before the pandemi brah! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

So you found a matinee. Those existed before the pandemi brah! 

False. This was an 8pm show. Used to be $12. Matinees were like $10 I think. 

In checking fandango, that's the weekday price, weekends are $13.

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

I miss going to the movies a lot actually... I feel like I'm the only one lol. I just enjoy the atmosphere I guess. I still might be going tonight for Ghostbusters

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I miss going to the movies a lot actually... I feel like I'm the only one lol. I just enjoy the atmosphere I guess. I still might be going tonight for Ghostbusters

It was fun, big screen, sound effects, seat rumbling.

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It was fun, big screen, sound effects, seat rumbling.

The one I go to has leather full reclining heated seats it's a great place for a nap

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

went with kids to matinee for Ron Gone Wrong (which was excellent btw. best kids movie i’ve seen in awhile). anyway I 100% agree. I missed movies so much. It was great to go back. Fortunately we have a Flagship near us and seats so spread out it wasn’t really a concern with kids. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

False. This was an 8pm show. Used to be $12. Matinees were like $10 I think. 

In checking fandango, that's the weekday price, weekends are $13.

It's 12 bucks by me. 10 for kids. We try and go at least once or twice a month.

The theater by my old house had early Sunday rates of 5 bucks. If the movie was not longer than 2 and a half hours we could go and get back by 1 PM kickoff. We would go every Sunday in the cold weather months after breakfast, sometimes seeing the same movie 2 or 3 times if nothing of interest had been released.