The Movie Thread

Agent23

5 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Minor spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

So yeah - this Predator's weaponry didn't seem QUITE as advanced as the newer versions, which would make sense as it was set like 250+ years before the original.  But yes, how they went about it didn't feel cheap at all.  

Got my sister in law and nieces and nephews in town later this week.  Gonna set up the projector in the back yard Friday night and check it out.

Prey was so Predictable.  I was worried that they would ruin any chance of this being an enjoyable movie with a bunch of woke nonsense...and that's exactly what they did.  Which sucks, because the premise of this movie had potential.  

Insanely predictable just based on the types of movies being put out these days.  

Spoiler

Native American girl spends most of the movie fighting the "women can't be capable hunters like men" attitude being pushed by the mean men of her tribe.  Girl is dismissed by the mean men of the tribe when she tries to tell them there's a beast out there.  Girl goes off on her own, where she (of course) encounters a large hunting party of evil white men that are hellbent on killing every animal they see with their big bad guns.  5ft 100lb girl kicks wholesale ass after dozens of stronger, more well-armed men (and a grizzly bear) are slaughtered like mere child's play.  Huntress hero returns triumphantly to the tribe as the lone survivor, with hardly a scratch on her.  RAWR girl power!

Dear Hollywood.  We get it.  Women are awesome, and men are mean and stupid.  Especially white men.  Thanks for continuing to remind us.  See you again soon for another round of sensitivity training through cinema.    

The cgi animals (especially the bear) were borderline comical.  

I would rank this 4th or 5th on the list of predator movies.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

Prey was so Predictable.  I was worried that they would ruin any chance of this being an enjoyable movie with a bunch of woke nonsense...and that's exactly what they did.  Which sucks, because the premise of this movie had potential.  

Insanely predictable just based on the types of movies being put out these days.  

Reveal hidden contents

Native American girl spends most of the movie fighting the "women can't be capable hunters like men" attitude being pushed by the mean men of her tribe.  Girl is dismissed by the mean men of the tribe when she tries to tell them there's a beast out there.  Girl goes off on her own, where she (of course) encounters a large hunting party of evil white men that are hellbent on killing every animal they see with their big bad guns.  5ft 100lb girl kicks wholesale ass after dozens of stronger, more well-armed men (and a grizzly bear) are slaughtered like mere child's play.  Huntress hero returns triumphantly to the tribe as the lone survivor, with hardly a scratch on her.  RAWR girl power!

Dear Hollywood.  We get it.  Women are awesome, and men are mean and stupid.  Especially white men.  Thanks for continuing to remind us.  See you again soon for another round of sensitivity training through cinema.    

Billy Madison Wrong GIF - Billy Madison Wrong - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

Reveal hidden contents

...yet it still wasn't as bombastic as the original where Ah-nold survives a tactical nuke to kill one.  These are absurd movies and always have been.

I'm as "anti-wokeness" as you can get, but I didn't feel that way at all with this movie.  I thought they toed that line perfectly without going over it into absurdity.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

...yet it still wasn't as bombastic as the original where Ah-nold survives a tactical nuke to kill one.  These are absurd movies and always have been.

It's just frustrating compared to what this movie could've been.  It could've been another Aliens or T2 type of movie with strong female lead in a kickass movie. Maybe even a Revenant meets Predator with a strong female lead.   Instead, it felt more like a teen drama giving us a two hour lecture on gender roles and sexism.  A wasted opportunity.  At one point early in the movie, one of the male hunters of the tribe tell her something along the lines of "why are you here?  We're not gonna need a cook." A central theme that continued to rear its pointless head throughout the entire movie.  :rolleyes: 

13 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

It's just frustrating compared to what this movie could've been.  It could've been another Aliens or T2 type of movie with strong female lead in a kickass movie. Maybe even a Revenant meets Predator with a strong female lead.   Instead, it felt more like a teen drama giving us a two hour lecture on gender roles and sexism.  A wasted opportunity.  At one point early in the movie, one of the male hunters of the tribe tell her something along the lines of "why are you here?  We're not gonna need a cook." A central theme that continued to rear its pointless head throughout the entire movie.  :rolleyes: 

The most (in)famous line from the original Predator was "get to the chah-pa!".  We ain't exactly talking about franchise steeped in great dialogue.  I know memories get fonder with time but c'mon man, Aliens and T2 have not aged well either.

7 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

The most (in)famous line from the original Predator was "get to the chah-pa!".  We ain't exactly talking about franchise steeped in great dialogue.  I know memories get fonder with time but c'mon man, Aliens and T2 have not aged well either.

Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up." — Bill Paxton as Pvt. William  Hudson in ALIENS...

15 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Bunch of slack-jawed ****ots around here!  This stuff will make you a god-damned sexual tyrannosaurus....like ME 

:roll: 

I ain't got time to bleed

He had a bunch of good ones before he had a hole blown through his chest

• Haha 2

The Predator in Prey was kinda a puss in this always using his camo tech against a bunch of Indians with sticks 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm as "anti-wokeness" as you can get, but I didn't feel that way at all with this movie.  I thought they toed that line perfectly without going over it into absurdity.  

today my brain realized Hunger Games is the most woke film franchise, and I will bring it up to start an argument the next time some d00de is trying to compete against chicks in swimming or whatever else. 

I'll just be like "I agree! Hunger Games already showed us the equality in having 12 year old girls compete against 18 year old men!" 

Oh, I watched the bullet train the other day. Maybe yesterday even. It’s a movie. It’s watchable. You shouldn’t go out of your way for it. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, Agent23 said:

Oh, I watched the bullet train the other day. Maybe yesterday even. It’s a movie. It’s watchable. You shouldn’t go out of your way for it. 

I saw this last night. A little disjointed at the start but decent. I enjoyed it and I'd watch it again at some point

27 minutes ago, Mat said:

I saw this last night. A little disjointed at the start but decent. I enjoyed it and I'd watch it again at some point

I am hoping to make it through the back half of Prey before bed. Like it so far but started to late last night and started to nod off tho I’ve been enjoying it this far. 

• 3 weeks later...

Licorice Pizza - Streaming on Prime Video.  Yeah this is one of those quirky movies that critics love, but the average movie watcher probably won't.  I enjoyed it.  The cameos, Sean Penn and Bradley Cooper specifically, were great.  Some parts were very funny, some parts were head scratchers (like why the hell was she wearing a bathing suit at the mattress store all day long?), but all in all I thought it pretty good.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Licorice Pizza - Streaming on Prime Video.  Yeah this is one of those quirky movies that critics love, but the average movie watcher probably won't.  I enjoyed it.  The cameos, Sean Penn and Bradley Cooper specifically, were great.  Some parts were very funny, some parts were head scratchers (like why the hell was she wearing a bathing suit at the mattress store all day long?), but all in all I thought it pretty good.

Delightful movie that just kinda meanders wherever it feels like.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, dawkins4prez said:

The most (in)famous line from the original Predator was "get to the chah-pa!".  We ain't exactly talking about franchise steeped in great dialogue. 

This is a pretty outrageous statement. There were about a dozen iconic lines in Predator. Plus, the screenplay and pacing were superior to anything made recently.

You picked the wrong 80’s action movie.

What’s up with the past year of review bombing by people who haven’t seen movies?  It’s messing up what I try to watch. I have a hard 6 cutoff on IMDB and it’s skewing better stuff way down towards average. 

4 hours ago, homerpat said:

What’s up with the past year of review bombing by people who haven’t seen movies?  It’s messing up what I try to watch. I have a hard 6 cutoff on IMDB and it’s skewing better stuff way down towards average. 

I think you just described today’s youth/generation in a nutshell.  Opinions based on no facts!  "No big deal if we give bad reviews for the movie that we haven’t seen or this restaurant that we haven’t been to. It’s not like it affects anyone!”  

Sorry - I’ve been on a little bit of a bender for the past 2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm curious to see THE WOMAN KING. Story by Norristown's own Maria Bello. Listed on imdb as "alternate history" - does that mean "reimagined to suit woke agenda" or "history of an alternative (i.e. - non-Western European) nation"? I'm sure this was sold as a women's empowerment tale of Amazon warriors but the warrior played by the great Viola Davis would have been a major player in the Atlantic slave trade. Will her nation's support of the slave trade and the countless thousands of African people she captured and sold be whitewashed in this "alternate history" or will it tell it like it was? (Ironically it was the British navy who finally cut off Dahomey's slave trade.)

Could it be that the producers completely ignored the unsavory parts of the real story to present it as a feelgood women's film?
That seems like an extreme form of revisionism, much more serious than adding a few black faces to King Arthur's court.

Also wondering if they'll go into the horrific mass human sacrifices of slaves and captives to please the voodoo gods?
As a horror fan I'd love to see that, but I'm guessing this movie isn't aimed at horror fans.

To imdb's credit they mention the dark reality of Dahomey's history in the Trivia entry to counterbalance the glossy capsule synopsis of the film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8093700/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

• Like 2

Preview for it looked good. For some reason they're not releasing it here for another month

1 hour ago, DBW said:

The new Jurassic movie was so over the top.  Felt more like sharknado and less like a Jurassic movie.  We laughed a lot.  

It was completely ridiculous, but knowing most people hated it before hand, helped me lower expectations. It wasn’t too bad when you expect garbage. 

• Like 1