The Movie Thread

Agent23

39 minutes ago, homerpat said:

It was completely ridiculous, but knowing most people hated it before hand, helped me lower expectations. It wasn’t too bad when you expect garbage. 

Yeah close to 3 hours was a bit much too.  Loved the original cast back in it.  The entire story was pretty dumb.  But we enjoyed it for free.  Wouldn’t have paid for it.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, eaglegenius said:

I'm curious to see THE WOMAN KING. Story by Norristown's own Maria Bello. Listed on imdb as "alternate history" - does that mean "reimagined to suit woke agenda" or "history of an alternative (i.e. - non-Western European) nation"? I'm sure this was sold as a women's empowerment tale of Amazon warriors but the warrior played by the great Viola Davis would have been a major player in the Atlantic slave trade. Will her nation's support of the slave trade and the countless thousands of African people she captured and sold be whitewashed in this "alternate history" or will it tell it like it was? (Ironically it was the British navy who finally cut off Dahomey's slave trade.)

Could it be that the producers completely ignored the unsavory parts of the real story to present it as a feelgood women's film?
That seems like an extreme form of revisionism, much more serious than adding a few black faces to King Arthur's court.

Also wondering if they'll go into the horrific mass human sacrifices of slaves and captives to please the voodoo gods?
As a horror fan I'd love to see that, but I'm guessing this movie isn't aimed at horror fans.

To imdb's credit they mention the dark reality of Dahomey's history in the Trivia entry to counterbalance the glossy capsule synopsis of the film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8093700/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

Hollywood & historical facts have never been friends.  Check out the treatment of Ghengis Khan, Cleopatra or Joan of Arc.  Tom Cruise as the last Samurai and they sold it as "based on a true story".  It's a step forward that they even identify it as "alternate history".

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hollywood & historical facts have never been friends.  Check out the treatment of Ghengis Khan, Cleopatra or Joan of Arc.  Tom Cruise as the last Samurai and they sold it as "based on a true story".  It's a step forward that they even identify it as "alternate history".

I loved that old Chappelles show skit with Paul Mooney reviewing movies.

"Hollywoods gone too far. First it's the Mexican starring Brad Pitt. Then it's The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise. I've written a film, maybe they will produce it. "The last N***** on Earth" starring Tom Hanks"

• Haha 4

On 9/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

I loved that old Chappelles show skit with Paul Mooney reviewing movies.

"Hollywoods gone too far. First it's the Mexican starring Brad Pitt. Then it's The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise. I've written a film, maybe they will produce it. "The last N***** on Earth" starring Tom Hanks"

Wasn't Joseph Fiennes supposed to play Michael Jackson?

I love how Sarah Silverman had fits because they cast a goy actress to play Joan Rivers.
Even though Silverman had played goys in the past.

I just watched Moonfall.  If it wasn’t for the fact that there was literally nothing else on TV it would have been a complete waste of time.  So dumb!  I can’t tell if it was trying to be serious or it was a satirical film.  The special effects were actually decent. It likely had a good size budget.  But it was so so dumb.  

Watched this with my grandson recently. 1st time I saw it I was 10yrs  old.  Classic IMO.

5091FB83-B295-421A-8639-EF7C5AD5064C.jpeg

On 10/11/2022 at 11:15 PM, SB52 said:

Sydney Sweeney is going to play Barbarella. That should be… worth watching.

Faptastic.

18 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I can confirm that Ghostbusters Afterlife is a damn solid sequel.  

I agree - it was a fun movie.  Good mix of nostalgia with some new stuff.  

5 hours ago, The_Omega said:

never got the appeal outside of visuals. just not an interesting story and sequel looks more of the same but on water 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, The_Omega said:

I'm not sitting there for almost 4 hours

11 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Bullet Train was hilarious and awesome 

Agreed.  This was more fun that I expected.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about going to see this violent night movie. Looks dumb but wth

20 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I'm thinking about going to see this violent night movie. Looks dumb but wth

If by dumb you mean hilarious and amazing then yes, I agree :lol: 

Looks like the perfect movie to just shut off your brain for 90 minutes 

13 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

If by dumb you mean hilarious and amazing then yes, I agree :lol: 

Looks like the perfect movie to just shut off your brain for 90 minutes 

That's exactly what I meant. My wife and I use go to the theaters once a month to check out a movie but after the last year there hasn't been anything good. Only movie we saw was jurassic world 2

It hits a random slow lull in the middle, but it's entertaining enough on either side