The Movie Thread

Agent23

Creed 3 I enjoyed. Easily slotted in above 2. Had one scene that was easily the most emotionally affecting next to the Rocky health-concerns in the first Creed. 

There was one stylistic choice made during one of the boxing segments that felt interesting and unique at first… then it just kind of felt overdone and out of place. 

only other jarring thing is how they kind of fast forward time ahead several more years than the gap between creed 2 and creed 3 film releases, yet display the timeframe as "present day”. I’m watching like "nah y’all probably in 2027 at a minimum” 

11 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Creed 3 I enjoyed. Easily slotted in above 2. Had one scene that was easily the most emotionally affecting next to the Rocky health-concerns in the first Creed. 

There was one stylistic choice made during one of the boxing segments that felt interesting and unique at first… then it just kind of felt overdone and out of place. 

only other jarring thing is how they kind of fast forward time ahead several more years than the gap between creed 2 and creed 3 film releases, yet display the timeframe as "present day”. I’m watching like "nah y’all probably in 2027 at a minimum” 

I haven't seen Rocky Balboa or any of the films since.  I just never got around to them. Are they worth catching up on? 

On 2/27/2023 at 12:14 PM, Mike030270 said:

Cocaine Bear was hilarious

I thought it was pretty funny.  The gore played for laughs was more than I expected but well done.

3 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I thought it was pretty funny.  The gore played for laughs was more than I expected but well done.

I'm betting there's a sequel 

5 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I haven't seen Rocky Balboa or any of the films since.  I just never got around to them. Are they worth catching up on? 

Rocky Balboa was okay for its time. It dealt with "loss” from the standpoint that Adrian has passed (I want to say cancer) off screen several years before the film starts. And Rocky is estranged from his son which is a big plot point in the film. Family dynamics were part of the prior films but it’s much more of an element in this film. It’s watchable though. 

Creed was phenomenal. Worth watching and you can essentially skip Balboa without missing anything other than not watching the movie that introduces the fact that his wife is dead and kid is estranged. 

Creed 2 is above average sports movie. For the Rocky 4 fans a first time watch provides some nice callbacks and mirroring in ways. 

Creed 3 was better than 2 from my initial take away, and part of that is that Kang makes for a more interesting antagonist and performance than Drago’s son in Creed 2

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Cocaine Bard: Midsummer Night's Rush or Cocaine Horse:Smack my Bit** Up

I depart for a movie double header in 2-3 mins, but forgot to post the other night that the new Jason Statham and Aubrey Plaza film was quite entertaining for those looking for a casual action/comedy feature. 

I think 65 was named for how many minutes of the film it was trying to put me to sleep during. Sad. 

On 3/2/2023 at 3:18 PM, Mike030270 said:

Oh yeah this has full franchise potential.  Cocaine Shark, Cocaine Squirrel, Cocaine Dinosaur.

18 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Oh yeah this has full franchise potential.  Cocaine Shark, Cocaine Squirrel, Cocaine Dinosaur.

I like the idea of a coked up squirrel

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

I like the idea of a coked up squirrel

Somewhere Baltimore Bob just had unexpected shivers of sheer joy.

• Haha 1

Scream VI I enjoyed. 

Champions I was very pleasantly surprised by. 

Tar was just kind of w/e unless you are a music nerd or want to watch Cate crush what felt like countless 5 minute long takes with heavy dialog. 

On 3/10/2023 at 8:47 PM, Agent23 said:

I think 65 was named for how many minutes of the film it was trying to put me to sleep during. Sad. 

Well that sucks. I was looking forward to a Jurassic Park alternative. 

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Well that sucks. I was looking forward to a Jurassic Park alternative. 

It was not that :sad: 

19 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

Somewhere Baltimore Bob just had unexpected shivers of sheer joy.

Cocaine Gerbil!  He ingests a capsule of coke by being shoved up a Rod Stewart-esque rock star's arse.

Cocaine Beaver - It'll be cheap to get into but will probably leave you with lasting unwanted memories.

7 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

It's probably because Adam Driver is awful 

Historically I like him. Was probably the best part of Force Awakens and Last Jedi. Was about the only watchable thing on Girls. I enjoyed him in Marriage Story, Logan Lucky, Klansman, Last Duel, and even House of Gucci. 

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

Historically I like him. Was probably the best part of Force Awakens and Last Jedi. Was about the only watchable thing on Girls. I enjoyed him in Marriage Story, Logan Lucky, Klansman, Last Duel, and even House of Gucci. 

Out of those movies, the only ones I saw were the Star Wars ones and Logan Lucky, and I had forgotten he was in the latter :lol: He's terrible 

I did find him amusing in This Is Where I Leave You 

12 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Out of those movies, the only ones I saw were the Star Wars ones and Logan Lucky, and I had forgotten he was in the latter :lol: He's terrible 

I did find him amusing in This Is Where I Leave You 

I haven't even heard of this

Driver was very good in Silence, which is a tragically underappreciated movie.

55 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Driver was very good in Silence, which is a tragically underappreciated movie.

Was that the (Scorsese?) with Garfield? I tried watching at home once and fell victim to the plague of "if this doesn’t grab me in 5-10 mins I switch”. Which is why I try to watch as many things in theater as possible since that environment helps me lock in and commit. 

4 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Was that the (Scorsese?) with Garfield? I tried watching at home once and fell victim to the plague of "if this doesn’t grab me in 5-10 mins I switch”. Which is why I try to watch as many things in theater as possible since that environment helps me lock in and commit. 

It is. It’s definitely not for everyone but I thought it was great.