The Movie Thread

Agent23

Fall is an excellent popcorn flick.  Great cinematography watch it on the biggest screen you have.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, wholesale_Melvin said:

Almost walked out of it, chickie was having a blast but at one point she could see it on my face and asked if i wanted to leave. I was a good husband and stuck around. As we were walking out, she stated "i'm going to pay for this, aren't i."

Soon as i heard the opening notes to Jane i rolled my eyes and thought, here comes Wet Hot Bloody Summer Camp. No one looked like they wanted anything to do with this POS except to hear someone say cut and collect that pay check.

Reveal hidden contents

Damn shame this was ray liotta's last movie and he literally spilled his guts for his final scene.

I’m a fan of ridiculous, turn-your-brain-off movies. The problem with Cocaine Bear, IMO, was that it was slow and not very entertaining.

I thought the first few scenes were good. There was a decent joke or two after that. Otherwise, it was just… boring.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:20 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Dune 2 trailer out.  Now go change your shorts.

Much better trailer here 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, mikemack8 said:

Much better trailer here 

I thought the first one was the best sci-fi movie/story I've seen since Star Wars.  Fantastic!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

I thought the first one was the best sci-fi movie/story I've seen since Star Wars.  Fantastic!  

Agreed - it was good.  I tried to read the book after watching part 1 and couldn't get through it - not enough of a sci-fi dork I guess

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Agreed - it was good.  I tried to read the book after watching part 1 and couldn't get through it - not enough of a sci-fi dork I guess

So I like to be a book snob and read things before I see the movie so I can critique the changes. Did that with Dune thinking it was a standalone book. Probably got about halfway through before I looked it up and found out that it's the first of a 6 book series. I'm almost through the first one now, and it definitely isn't all that fun of a read so far. But I'm also kind of in now and hate leaving things unfinished, so I guess I'm going to power through all 6 even if it takes me a year. :lol: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hputenis said:

Dune and Timme were awesome!

18 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kz! said:

So I like to be a book snob and read things before I see the movie so I can critique the changes. Did that with Dune thinking it was a standalone book. Probably got about halfway through before I looked it up and found out that it's the first of a 6 book series. I'm almost through the first one now, and it definitely isn't all that fun of a read so far. But I'm also kind of in now and hate leaving things unfinished, so I guess I'm going to power through all 6 even if it takes me a year. :lol: 

Yeah this is one of a few instances where I would say the movie is a drastic improvement on the book

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Yeah this is one of a few instances where I would say the movie is a drastic improvement on the book

I love storytelling and world building, but I thought the first Dune book was dull and never read the rest. The newer film was just lively enough to remedy that and I agree, it was a big improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I could see that. It's got a pretty cool ass premise, and I'm sure the unique setting and the massive worms translate really well to the big screen. I think maybe just the fact that it was written 60 years ago just makes the language in it difficult to read. And it's a made up sci-fi universe that has a ton of made up sci-fi terms. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kz! said:

I could see that. It's got a pretty cool ass premise, and I'm sure the unique setting and the massive worms translate really well to the big screen. I think maybe just the fact that it was written 60 years ago just makes the language in it difficult to read. And it's a made up sci-fi universe that has a ton of made up sci-fi terms. 

It’s like reading Lord of the Rings. Lots of exposition and very verbose, but half a century ago, it was cutting-edge. There’s just a lot of kick ass fantasy now due to LotR and Dune

I watched Avatar 2 last night, it's not a bad movie but it was essentially Avatar 1 all over again, only set mostly in the water this time instead of in the forest. Like I said, it's not a bad movie but it's kind of lazy of them to not come up with a new story.

I also kind of expected the CGI to have been better. At times, it just felt like watching an advanced cartoon... which I guess that's what it really is. 

• Like 1

Sisu is a 1st class grindhouse and stands up to the Tarantino & Rodriguez's best.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Sisu is a 1st class grindhouse and stands up to the Tarantino & Rodriguez's best.

I’ve been looking forward to seeing this. I have to find time before it’s out of theaters.

• Like 1

For some reason, I never watched Sicario.  I fixed that last night - what a kick ass movie 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

For some reason, I never watched Sicario.  I fixed that last night - what a kick ass movie 

I haven't seen that yet.  I'll have to bump it up my list.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Love that movie. The sequel isn't as good but still watchable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Love that movie. The sequel isn't as good but still watchable. 

I have that on my shortlist to watch as well

On 5/17/2023 at 10:22 AM, mikemack8 said:

Great movie!  I didn't even know what it was when I first saw it.  Great cast, great plot.  I guess it did not get a lot of hype when it first came out.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NOTW said:

These movies are such a guilty pleasure of mine.  I've seen every one at least 3 times, and that is very unlike me.  Can't wait for this!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

These movies are such a guilty pleasure of mine.  I've seen every one at least 3 times, and that is very unlike me.  Can't wait for this!  

I like them too, despite formulaic.  I like these, Bond, Bourne, Sicario (mentioned earlier) any kind of action spy thriller types.  Some of them have done a better job of having the team instead of just the Tom Cruise show or sidekicks, I like the team aspect but props to Tom who doesn't age and does a lot of his own stunts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I love the MI series. You know exactly what you are getting when you sit down in a theater, you will be entertained thru the entire movie, no fluff just action. 

• Like 3