52 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

When was the Tron 2? Tell me that!

Tron 2

• Angry 1

15 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

When was the Tron 2? Tell me that!

Oliva Wilde :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1.  These movies always deliver.  They use some classic tropes since everything's been done, but manage to add some things to keep it fresh.  There are a lot of call backs to previous movies especially the first one.  It was good on the big screen for the sound and special effects. Tom Cruise is 61 and does not age it's insane.

• Like 1

The Dolby theater had the seats vibrating and the room rumbling at all the right parts. I have it a letterbox 3.5 because it didn’t wow me in the way Fallout did, but it was still much enjoyable and had lots of well done, unexpected humor. Will probably bump to 4 stah upon a rewatch. 

Oppenheimer was damned good. It was edited similar to Dunkirk, but in a more coherent way if that makes sense.  The worst part of the movie was the sound editing, but at least you could hear the dialog. 

also there’s boobs in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Oppenheimer was damned good. It was edited similar to Dunkirk, but in a more coherent way if that makes sense.  The worst part of the movie was the sound editing, but at least you could hear the dialog. 

Seeing tonight. Softball tourney yesterday, so had to make a Day 2 exception. No early screenings here :sad: 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

So the problem was Nolan all along, not Zimmer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

So the problem was Nolan all along, not Zimmer.

Oh, 100%. 

I will say that this composer makes a score that is a touch more complementary to what you’re seeing on screen than what Zimmer did. Zimmer made a score for like when you want to watch a movie like you’re looking at a painting like they did in Ferris Bueller. 

Nolan’s biggest issues were always sound mixing and editing itself. There’s a lot of jump cuts. Nolan needs to understand that not every scene transition needs to be TE Lawrence blowing out the match. And even then that cut wasn’t immediately accompanied by a score. It worked for Inception, but not as well for a biopic. Nolan is to sound mixing and editing what shaky cam was post Saving Private Ryan. 

The pacing was ok. Third act was a little long but it’s a Nolan film so what did you expect.

I understand what he goes for, and his projects are great and evolutionary. That said, villanueve (sp?) is the better overall director as he understands when to be subtle.  

The acting and the writing were great. The story kept me engaged, even if it was a little long in the tooth. 

As long as you go in expecting a 4/5 movie that isn’t at all subtle youll enjoy it. 

Edit: Zimmer is a great composer, but imo Johann Johansson was pound for pound a better composer. It’s a shame he OD’d, because had he made more movies he could eventually became arguably one of the greatest of all time. That one other Icelandic composer who was his understudy produced some underwhelming results, but it’s not her fault. Johansson was a tough act to follow. This guy they used for Oppenheimer was pretty good and is much closer to what Johansson could produce. 

• Like 1

Barbie should have bare boobs with no nips. Since its PG-13, I'm holding out hope.

12 hours ago, Bill said:

This dude says "there’s boobs in it” like some casual nonchalant thing when it’s Florence Pugh’s boobs. Multiple times. 

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

This dude says "there’s boobs in it” like some casual nonchalant thing when it’s Florence Pugh’s boobs. Multiple times. 

I usually don’t make a super big deal over seeing some mid’s B cups. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:54 AM, LeanMeanGM said:

Barbie should have bare boobs with no nips. Since its PG-13, I'm holding out hope.

That would have been amazing. I thought the movie was hilarious, I bet it was a blast to film cause it was a fun movie to watch.

It was definitely a good idea to see that before Oppenheimer, as I don't think I would've been able to enjoy barbie as much immediately after seeing Oppenheimer.

• Haha 1

I didn’t see Barbie or Oppenheimer but did some at home movie watching. Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant was really good. Good action and lots of tension, even my wife loved it who hates action war movies. 

Didn’t seem like a Guy Ritchie movie at all either. I wouldn’t have even known he produced/directed it if his name wasn’t in the title. 

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I didn’t see Barbie or Oppenheimer but did some at home movie watching. Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant was really good. Good action and lots of tension, even my wife loved it who hates action war movies. 

Didn’t seem like a Guy Ritchie movie at all either. I wouldn’t have even known he produced/directed it if his name wasn’t in the title. 

Was that the Gyllenhaal Middle East movie? If so I enjoyed it in theaters. 

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Was that the Gyllenhaal Middle East movie? If so I enjoyed it in theaters. 

Yup

5 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s been on my list for a bit - traveling for work this week so I’ll definitely check that one out 

15 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yup

that falls on the same made-up list of mine that Ben Affleck's "The Way Back" is on, where afterwards I am complete shocked that the film has zero affiliation with any real-world story or events. 

• Like 2

Ended up watching the Covenant last night then

Spoiler

Middle act drug on a bit for me, but man what a massive payoff at the end.  Really good.  

• Like 1

Barbie was surprisingly great. Pretty hilarious

Oppenheimer was good. Wish they went more into what happens at the atomic level and the destruction

On 7/21/2023 at 11:02 PM, Bill said:

I usually don’t make a super big deal over seeing some mid’s B cups. 

I make a big deal of seeing anything of Margo Robbie's :wub: