The Movie Thread

Agent23

1 hour ago, olsilverhair said:

It’s just me and you and that British tranny arthur

Well crap.

Saw the Threequalizer tonight. It was enjoyable and exceeded my mild expectations. 

Watched The Flash today.  Entertaining, too long though. Liked how they worked in all the different Batmen.  Needed more Gal Gadot 

The Whale has the structure of a Lifetime movie but Aranofksy and Fraser elevate it into something truly worth the watch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 12:10 PM, NOTW said:

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1.  These movies always deliver.  They use some classic tropes since everything's been done, but manage to add some things to keep it fresh.  There are a lot of call backs to previous movies especially the first one.  It was good on the big screen for the sound and special effects. Tom Cruise is 61 and does not age it's insane.

I don't think I've seen any of the previous Mission Impossible movies, but we watched the new one tonight. It wasn't bad, but I thought it was too long and relied too much on action and too little on story.

A lot of the action, here and there, reminded me of other movies. Or maybe just one other movie. Knight and Day. Specifically some of the car chase where they're handcuffed, and also some of the stuff on the train. 

Like I said, it's not a bad movie. But it's also not a movie that I'd want to see over and over.

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't think I've seen any of the previous Mission Impossible movies, but we watched the new one tonight. It wasn't bad, but I thought it was too long and relied too much on action and too little on story.

A lot of the action, here and there, reminded me of other movies. Or maybe just one other movie. Knight and Day. Specifically some of the car chase where they're handcuffed, and also some of the stuff on the train. 

Like I said, it's not a bad movie. But it's also not a movie that I'd want to see over and over.

It’s a continuing story and honestly prior one might be my favorite action movie of all time. Def recommend going back. 2 is a real turd, but rest are great

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, homerpat said:

It’s a continuing story and honestly prior one might be my favorite action movie of all time. Def recommend going back. 2 is a real turd, but rest are great

For me, action should compliment a story, not overtake it or be used to replace it. Some of it in this movie just got to be a bit much. I also look at the Matrix 2 as an example where there was just 'too much'. In that movie, I got to a point where I just turned it off, rewound the tape (that's how long ago it was), and didn't bother finishing the movie. To this day I've never seen the entire movie. 

This movie isn't on that level of 'bad' (to me). But I think they could have shaved 15 minutes off the runtime and that alone would have been an improvement. Maybe I'll go back to the beginning and watch them all when I have time. I was a fan of the show back in the 70's and 80's (in re-runs, of course). 

20 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

For me, action should compliment a story, not overtake it or be used to replace it. Some of it in this movie just got to be a bit much. I also look at the Matrix 2 as an example where there was just 'too much'. In that movie, I got to a point where I just turned it off, rewound the tape (that's how long ago it was), and didn't bother finishing the movie. To this day I've never seen the entire movie. 

This movie isn't on that level of 'bad' (to me). But I think they could have shaved 15 minutes off the runtime and that alone would have been an improvement. Maybe I'll go back to the beginning and watch them all when I have time. I was a fan of the show back in the 70's and 80's (in re-runs, of course). 

Have not seen newest yet, so not sure how it measures up, but if you did enjoy 1 and the prior both have excellent stories in addition to the action

On 10/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, homerpat said:

Haven’t seen the new one but I agree with the previous Mission Impossible. They just kept getting better and that one was a phenomenal action movie. 

• Like 1

Quick.  Or whenever you have time. What’s your most underrated movie ever?  

9 hours ago, hputenis said:

Big Trouble (2002)

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, hputenis said:

Hmmm. I would say Layer Cake. Just not well enough known and was a ton of fun. That or Bloody Hell. Just loved that movie after taking random chance on it. Praying for a sequel. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, olsilverhair said:

It’s just me and you and that British tranny arthur

spacer.png

On 10/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, hputenis said:

Harsh Times (2005) or Phone Booth (2002)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoadToHell said:

Harsh Times (2005) or Phone Booth (2002)

I’ve got a couple guilty pleasures that I realize are both probably considered terrible. The Wraith with Charlie Sheen was one of my favorite movies ever into my teens. 25th Hour is my #1 most underrated movie ever. I don’t know anyone that has seen it without me making them watch it, and it’s great. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:31 PM, hputenis said:

@olsilverhair Does Dallas

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, hputenis said:

'ukn love these movies!!!

Have you ever been so excited about the new year that you break your mom's  favorite bowl? : r/gifs

New director and the people writing it wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. At least they have some continuity there 

• Like 1

I’m smashed right now but name me a better movie than Kickboxer while you’re passing out. Bloodsport is also an appropriate answer. 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, hputenis said:

Prisoners (2013)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw Godzilla Minus One.  I had no interest and didn't know it existed, a friend loves those movies and wanted to go on opening day.

It was pretty good.  Call backs to the originals.  Set in the 1940s in Japan, all Japanese with subtitles.  It was entertaining.  Makes me want to go watch the others.

• Like 1

Dumb Money was an enjoyable 2 hours. It’s about the GameStop stock a few years ago. Nothing groundbreaking, but a good ensemble cast and entertaining. 

• Like 1