The Movie Thread

Agent23

Just now, Shepard Wong said:

I was just saying this yesterday.  Bring back the intermission.  Theaters would love it.  Round 2 for the concession stand for 1 showing of a movie.

Classic epics that were over 3 hours often had intermissions.  When Tarantino did the roadshow version of Hateful 8, he included an intermission. It doesn't hurt the experience at all.

Honestly, for me, the last hour of Oppenheimer was really hard to enjoy because I had to piss so bad :lol: 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

They probably had to switch film reels back then, like how the VHS was on two tapes lol. 

Switching film reels was the norm until the 80s, when most theaters went to platter systems.  With platters you would splice every reel of the film together and transfer it onto the platter to run in one continuous projection.

The classic reel to reel projection was done with 2 projectors for each screen that would alternate back and forth for each reel of the film doing the switches live.  Most people never noticed the reel changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I was just saying this yesterday.  Bring back the intermission.  Theaters would love it.  Round 2 for the concession stand for 1 showing of a movie.

Classic epics that were over 3 hours often had intermissions.  When Tarantino did the roadshow version of Hateful 8, he included an intermission. It doesn't hurt the experience at all.

bro, I get that large popcorn and large drink combo. Free refills on those. But when I leave the showing, I am not going to fill up a bucket of popcorn to ride shotgun in my car, and the cup is like 1.5x larger than my cupholders (and I had one spill all over the passenger floorboard and under the seat where the in-floor sub was located) -- to where nevah again!!!

This means I get 1 fill up of popcorn and drink where an intermission means they give me more of those for zero dollars (even though both probably only cost them like 37 cents). 

Haunted Mansion was pretty enjoyable. I went in expecting ish because Little Mermaid was so bad. Was interesting to see how they incorporated different parts of the ride into the movie. A decent turn your brain off Disney movie. 

Of course Disney doesn’t know how to market ish and put a Halloween movie in July a week after Barbenheimer so it won’t make any money. 

Clerks 3 is a decent watch. They brought back all the old characters. Nothing amazing, but if you liked the first 2, you'll probably like this one. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:47 PM, The_Omega said:

Nowadays people just wear Depends to the longer movies

Right at the opening music # for late doubleheader Barbie, and that 2nd box of Raisinetes kicks in..

On 8/1/2023 at 3:07 AM, Bill said:

Haunted Mansion was pretty enjoyable. I went in expecting ish because Little Mermaid was so bad. Was interesting to see how they incorporated different parts of the ride into the movie. A decent turn your brain off Disney movie. 

Of course Disney doesn’t know how to market ish and put a Halloween movie in July a week after Barbenheimer so it won’t make any money. 

My guess is that it’ll be released into Disney+ in time for Halloween.  Not sure it makes sense to release the movie now and hope it does okay, then hope to keep/add subscribers in October.  I think having this in theaters in October would’ve made more sense, as you said.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:34 PM, Shepard Wong said:

When we were visiting my wife's family in Cairo, Egypt we had a day where everyone wanted to rest and hangout, so me and her dad went to the movie theater.  Star Wars Rogue One was out.  

Right when the rebels were arriving at the Imperial base for an attack, the screen went dark, lights came up and music came over the speaker system:  Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic.  I thought the projector broke.  People stood up immediately.  It was the intermission.  They must time it because it was a terrible place to stop.  They said theaters to intermission for every movie.

16 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Agent, waiting for your review of Meg 2

It did its job of giving 100 mins of just sit back and just watch the ridic. I have it a 3 star in Letterboxd along with a heart 

The Haunted Mansion was ok, my wife and girls enjoyed it. It wasn’t God awful like a previous attempt.

2 hours ago, The_Omega said:

The Haunted Mansion was ok, my wife and girls enjoyed it. It wasn’t God awful like a previous attempt.

It was trying to help me squeeze in a cat nap the final 20ish minutes. 

Saw an early screening of Gran Turismo. Had no idea it’s based on real events. Story wasn’t anything majorly different from similar underdog tropes from other stuff, but it was done well and the lead actor and the homie from Stranger Things gave solid performances and the racing scenes (of which there was a solid amount) were solid. 

Also, the times they mixed in video game "style” to the driving, it was done >>>> than Creed III mixed in "anime” to that films sports moments. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot me but I thought  Renfield was a straight up riot.  Nic Cage really leaned into the ham with a gusto that cracked me up all movie.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Shoot me but I thought  Renfield was a straight up riot.  Nic Cage really leaned into the ham with a gusto that cracked me up all movie.

100% agreed. Cage on a roll with Renfield, Unbearable Weight, Pig and Willys Wonderland (which I loved) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, homerpat said:

100% agreed. Cage on a roll with Renfield, Unbearable Weight, Pig and Willys Wonderland (which I loved) 

I thought Pig was more of a good movie with Nic Cage.  Renfied is great because of Nice Cage.  So now I think Im ready to enjoy Unbearable weight and will check it out.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I thought Pig was more of a good movie with Nic Cage.  Renfied is great because of Nice Cage.  So now I think Im ready to enjoy Unbearable weight and will check it out.

fair enough. Just adding it since it’s not the same trash he was filming for the past few decades

Unbearable Weight is just a fun enjoyable movie if you go in with regular expectations. 

• Like 2

Bummer

"Dune: Part Two” has been delayed to 2024.

The story of Paul Atreides, played by Timothée Chalamet, will be continued on March 15.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

19 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Bummer

I wish my first name had an asterisk on it. Instead…..it’s Bob. 

In other news, I’m watching Dungeons and Dragons right now and it’s actually really good. I feel like someone is gonna beat me up for saying that. 

image.gif.c1c68ce0deb189d815e03c30fde971d2.gif

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I wish my first name had an asterisk on it. Instead…..it’s Bob. 

In other news, I’m watching Dungeons and Dragons right now and it’s actually really good. I feel like someone is gonna beat me up for saying that. 

image.gif.c1c68ce0deb189d815e03c30fde971d2.gif

OH MY GAWD WHATTA YOU A FAHG? LOOK AT THE CLIP THIS FAIRY PUTS UP!

HE'S IMPLYING HE'S THE NERD AND THE BIG BURLY JOCK'S GONNA COME OVER AND F HIM IN HIS SKINNY FAIRY AHZ! 

YO KEEP YOUR GAY DUNGEON AND MEATY DRAGON AWAY FROM ME!

ladies and gentlemen, olsilverhair in one part. thank you, thank you.

standing-ovation-clap.gif

no, please...thank you. 

2 hours ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

OH MY GAWD WHATTA YOU A FAHG? LOOK AT THE CLIP THIS FAIRY PUTS UP!

HE'S IMPLYING HE'S THE NERD AND THE BIG BURLY JOCK'S GONNA COME OVER AND F HIM IN HIS SKINNY FAIRY AHZ! 

YO KEEP YOUR GAY DUNGEON AND MEATY DRAGON AWAY FROM ME!

ladies and gentlemen, olsilverhair in one part. thank you, thank you.

standing-ovation-clap.gif

no, please...thank you. 

I honestly don't understand your humor.  I'm not @olsilverhair, but I am in the middle of a fantasy draft and all of your posts scare me.  

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

I honestly don't understand your humor.  I'm not @olsilverhair, but I am in the middle of a fantasy draft and all of your posts scare me.  

Dude where ya been?  I’ve been running this dooooosh bag site all by myself, ol Melvin is just a butt sniff, don’t let that tranny scare you, come back later and wash my dingleberries in your mouth

8 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

Dude where ya been?  I’ve been running this dooooosh bag site all by myself, ol Melvin is just a butt sniff, don’t let that tranny scare you, come back later and wash my dingleberries in your mouth

I really really thought i was reaching a few of you.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

I really really thought i was reaching a few of you.

It’s just me and you and that British tranny arthur