The Movie Thread

Agent23

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Some of those look horrendous.  Afire actually looks pretty good.  I've never even heard of it, but if it's anything like Knock at the Cabin, I'm sold.  Loved that movie.  I haven't seen the Killer yet on Netflix either.  Also, has anyone actually seen Killers of the Flower Moon?  When I first saw the previews, I wanted to see it more than anything, and then all of a sudden, it's out, and I haven't heard anything about it.  

11 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Some of those look horrendous.  Afire actually looks pretty good.  I've never even heard of it, but if it's anything like Knock at the Cabin, I'm sold.  Loved that movie.  I haven't seen the Killer yet on Netflix either.  Also, has anyone actually seen Killers of the Flower Moon?  When I first saw the previews, I wanted to see it more than anything, and then all of a sudden, it's out, and I haven't heard anything about it.  

It looks really boring.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I read the book and liked it but haven't watched the movie yet.  I also tend not to fan boy over Scorsese the way a lot of movie junkies do.  I'll probably be watching it soon though now that I can stream it.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:29 AM, hputenis said:

@Agent23 saw that sheet

18 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

@Agent23 saw that sheet

I have seen KOTFM, but not The Killer. I dislike watching (new to me) movies at home, and The Killer has not made it any of the theaters I use out here which is weird because we get a lot of showings. I skipped Godzilla Minus One in Dolby yesterday (last night in premium formats, not just shifted to regular screens) because I decided to join the happy hour crew for drinks and wings instead. 

• Like 1

Killers of the Flower Moon - I thought it was a masterpiece. Very well made and incredible performances by all casts. Lily Gladstone stole the show she was absolutely amazing in this. Movie was 3 and a half hours and I can’t wait to watch it again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Poor Things… no clue how to describe the film other than straight wild 

On 12/23/2023 at 3:18 PM, Agent23 said:

Just finished Poor Things… no clue how to describe the film other than straight wild 

Do you bring your cats with you when you go to the movies? Or your iron covers?  

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

Do you bring your cats with you when you go to the movies? Or your iron covers?  

All of the above stay home. I almost golfed Friday which would have been the closest opportunity but then the course slots sold out on us 

• Like 1

Spent my entire evening watching Oppenheimer.  Sure as hell glad I didn't go to theater for this, breaking it up into like 3 parts with 15-20 min breaks was way more ideal.  Even then, that 3rd act is troublesome.  First of all it's entirely anticlimactic, plays like an hr long epilogue after Trinity test goes off.  Nolan, like he always seems to do, tries to inject drama into the much lower stakes by ramping up the soundtrack to full blast.  He also tries to create some kind of ham handed who-done-it but it's all a name blender of characters we barely met tied together by a Downey Jr performance that really didn't work for me.  Not a bad movie by any stretch, but I fail to see how this was more interesting than a good documentary would have been.

22 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Spent my entire evening watching Oppenheimer.  Sure as hell glad I didn't go to theater for this, breaking it up into like 3 parts with 15-20 min breaks was way more ideal.  Even then, that 3rd act is troublesome.  First of all it's entirely anticlimactic, plays like an hr long epilogue after Trinity test goes off.  Nolan, like he always seems to do, tries to inject drama into the much lower stakes by ramping up the soundtrack to full blast.  He also tries to create some kind of ham handed who-done-it but it's all a name blender of characters we barely met tied together by a Downey Jr performance that really didn't work for me.  Not a bad movie by any stretch, but I fail to see how this was more interesting than a good documentary would have been.

See, I still don't understand the whole taking a break during a long movie thing. I mean, I get it if you have kids. My brother only watches movies like this after the kids go to bed, and he's not watching a 3 hour movie at 930. But just taking a 20 minute break during a movie is weird to me. Like, what do you do during the break? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BFit said:

See, I still don't understand the whole taking a break during a long movie thing. I mean, I get it if you have kids. My brother only watches movies like this after the kids go to bed, and he's not watching a 3 hour movie at 930. But just taking a 20 minute break during a movie is weird to me. Like, what do you do during the break? 

Go to bathroom/refill drinks/take a phone call/make popcorn whatever.  It's not that I can't sit through a 3 hr movie, I can if its really interesting, but if it's tedious and boring in long spots (but still worth watching) then I'd rather watch at home.  Also gives you flexibility to break into several watches like hr long episodes.

Not gonna lie - I really liked Oppenheimer, but the third hour for me was torture because I had to take a piss so bad :lol: Still glad I saw it in the theater though

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Not gonna lie - I really liked Oppenheimer, but the third hour for me was torture because I had to take a piss so bad :lol: Still glad I saw it in the theater though

No kidding!  If I'm watching lets say, Dune, I'm on the edge of my seat sucking in every scene.  But if I'm into an hour long epilogue of committees , sub committees and round tables at some point my mind will wander into bodily necessities!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

No kidding!  If I'm watching lets say, Dune, I'm on the edge of my seat sucking in every scene.  But if I'm into an hour long epilogue of committees , sub committees and round tables at some point my mind will wander into bodily necessities!

DUNE!!!  I will (assumedly) do so many theater viewings in March! I hope they throw the 1st back in theaters in Dolby/IMAX for a week or two before the sequel 

I forgot how good There Will be Blood is. I’ve been on a Daniel Day Lewis kick recently and he’s unbelievable in it. Might be one of the darkest movies I’ve ever seen. @mikemack8 I know you’re into movie scores (and scoring with dudes), and the music in this movie is paired so perfectly with it. It makes me wanna scratch my fingernails on a chalk board and punch the dogs…..but in a good way. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I forgot how good There Will be Blood is. I’ve been on a Daniel Day Lewis kick recently and he’s unbelievable in it. Might be one of the darkest movies I’ve ever seen. @mikemack8 I know you’re into movie scores (and scoring with dudes), and the music in this movie is paired so perfectly with it. It makes me wanna scratch my fingernails on a chalk board and punch the dogs…..but in a good way. 

I don’t know that I’ve listened to that one - I’ll have to check it out.  Thanks ****ot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/6/2024 at 4:20 PM, hputenis said:

Listening meow - lots of creepy violins.  Honestly sounds like it belongs in an A24 horror movie - pretty good!  Now I need to re-watch this movie.

Next up is The Killer score - I'm pretty much in love with Trent Reznor so anything he does is my jam.  F yourself! 

• Haha 1

Had a pretty chill week and got to see a few movies.

Saltburn is wicked fun.  Keoghan desevres the Oscar

The Humans is an excellent drama, cuts deep.

Quest for Fire is an amazingly important film, glad I got to rewatch after so many years.

I did like Oppenheimer, but all of the above were better imo.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Had a pretty chill week and got to see a few movies.

Saltburn is wicked fun.  Keoghan desevres the Oscar

The Humans is an excellent drama, cuts deep.

Quest for Fire is an amazingly important film, glad I got to rewatch after so many years.

I did like Oppenheimer, but all of the above were better imo.

Saw it yesterday. Weird, but I don't think it was a disturbing as others made it out to be.

Spoiler

The period scene and bathtub scene were out there, but that was it.

I thought the Iron Claw was great. Jeremy Allen White as Kerry Von Erich really knocked it out of the park.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:12 AM, mikemack8 said:

Listening meow - lots of creepy violins.  Honestly sounds like it belongs in an A24 horror movie - pretty good!  Now I need to re-watch this movie.

Next up is The Killer score - I'm pretty much in love with Trent Reznor so anything he does is my jam.  F yourself! 

It’s one of my favorite movies. 

Spoiler

I can’t even place this movie in a category. It’s 3 hours of agonizing, uncomfortable viewing and I love every minute of it. The only movie comparable to me is 2001: A Space Odyssey.  You ever wanna not get laid?  Suggest these 2 movies on a first date. 😂