The Movie Thread

Agent23

Tried to do some movie watching this past week. Man movies seem to suck these days.

Avatar 2 sucked, cookie cutter plot and characters

Ghostbusters Afterlife - fell asleep. Was not impressed. Poor attempt at a reboot. The acting was horrendous. 

Venom 2 - meh, venom is funny. Cookie cutter plot and characters

A Knock at the Cabin - At least it was original. Dave Batista was really good in it. M Knight Shamalan has trouble with endings, but all in all I actually liked this one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Ended up watching the Covenant last night then

Hide contents

Middle act drug on a bit for me, but man what a massive payoff at the end.  Really good.  

My one minor complaint was 

Spoiler

They made Gyllenhaal and especially his translator too over powered at times. I like the tension the story would build but they would just go into Jason Statham mode and stealth triple head shot their way out of it. 

• Like 1

DeSantis must be upset that Barbie is doing so well. I'm going to see oppenheimer in the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

I make a big deal of seeing anything of Margo Robbie's :wub:

That’s cause she’s a goddess. 

Saw Barbie. I thought it was pretty decent. 

• Like 1

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/barbenheimer-box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-historic-weekend-1235678323/

‘Barbenheimer’ Even Bigger Than Expected: ‘Barbie’ Soars to $162 Million, ‘Oppenheimer’ Jumps to $82 Million

The cultural craze of "Barbenheimer,” complete with double features of the seemingly different blockbusters with matching release dates, helped to fuel the biggest collective weekend at the box office since the pandemic. More impressively, the box office powered to its fourth-biggest weekend in history with over $300 million industrywide. The top three weekends of all time were led by the debuts of sequels in massive franchises — 2019’s "Avengers: Endgame” ($402 million collectively), 2018’s "Avengers: Infinity War” ($314 million collectively) and 2015’s "Star Wars: The Force Awakens” ($313 million collectively).

Both of the rapturously reviewed, big-budget films managed to crush stratospheric prerelease expectations. Heading into the weekend, analysts were anticipating a $100 million to $110 million start for "Barbie” and a $50 million debut for "Oppenheimer.” For the record, either of those results would have been notable for non-franchise films in the heat of summer.

We already know Mattel is developing over 40 more movies based on their toys.  You know Hollywood will start doing this "twin release" thing on purpose from now on and go over the top on marketing 2 very different movies together.

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/barbenheimer-box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-historic-weekend-1235678323/

‘Barbenheimer’ Even Bigger Than Expected: ‘Barbie’ Soars to $162 Million, ‘Oppenheimer’ Jumps to $82 Million

We already know Mattel is developing over 40 more movies based on their toys.  You know Hollywood will start doing this "twin release" thing on purpose from now on and go over the top on marketing 2 very different movies together.

Honestly I’m guessing Barbie was released the same weekend as a way for WB to give the finger to Nolan since he left for Universal. 

5 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Of course everybody going to the movies its too f'ing hot to do anything else.

When the AC breaks:

1958 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Social media really latched onto the idea of these 2 very different movies opening on the same day.  I don't fully get it because lots of movies share opening weekends and don't get that same buzz. There are people posting their costumes they wore to the theater, some where a girl dressed as Barbie and her boyfriend dressed as Oppenheimer, some predicting that as a couples Halloween costume this year.  That's why I won't be surprised to see purposeful scheduling like that in the future.

Actors in both movies were asked in interviews and said they'd see both movies as a double feature, even Tom Cruise said that in an interview.  It's almost like a coordinated effort to not choose between the 2 and promote both.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, NOTW said:

Social media really latched onto the idea of these 2 very different movies opening on the same day.  I don't fully get it because lots of movies share opening weekends and don't get that same buzz. There are people posting their costumes they wore to the theater, some where a girl dressed as Barbie and her boyfriend dressed as Oppenheimer, some predicting that as a couples Halloween costume this year.  That's why I won't be surprised to see purposeful scheduling like that in the future.

Actors in both movies were asked in interviews and said they'd see both movies as a double feature, even Tom Cruise said that in an interview.  It's almost like a coordinated effort to not choose between the 2 and promote both.

Forget Barbenheimer and Get Ready for Saw Patrol

Saw X and PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie are now set to be released on the same day.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/forget-barbenheimer-and-get-ready-for-saw-patrol/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They had a segment on the radio about this phenomenon. They said it's the fear of missing out on 2 very different movies and not being able to talk to others about it so people are going just to be with the in crowd lol. 

I'm not going to see either so ha! I showed them!

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They had a segment on the radio about this phenomenon. They said it's the fear of missing out on 2 very different movies and not being able to talk to others about it so people are going just to be with the in crowd lol. 

I'm not going to see either so ha! I showed them!

Don't lie, you went to Barbie opening night dressed as Ken!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Don't lie, you went to Barbie opening night dressed as Ken!

Lol!! Nope! Dressed as barbie duh!

• Haha 3

Barbie delivers.  Robbie and Gosling are terrific.  Music, the sets, subversive but grounded.  It makes you squirm a bit in a good way but stays funny throughout.

The problem with this double feature is Oppenheimer sitting at 3 hours.  That's long enough to make me think thrice about even seeing it at theater much less making a double feature out of it.  Last time I did that was like 25 years ago, I watched the sci fi double header of Arrival and Event Horizon and the correct order is to watch the brainier, longer movie first.  Arrival sat at 2 hrs, I was much younger and I havent done it again since.

• Like 1

Went to go see The Haunted Mansion.  I really enjoyed it.  Didn’t realize it was PG-13, but it was fine for our 9 and 11 year olds.  Might not be okay for 6 and younger.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:36 AM, dawkins4prez said:

The problem with this double feature is Oppenheimer sitting at 3 hours.  That's long enough to make me think thrice about even seeing it at theater much less making a double feature out of it.  Last time I did that was like 25 years ago, I watched the sci fi double header of Arrival and Event Horizon and the correct order is to watch the brainier, longer movie first.  Arrival sat at 2 hrs, I was much younger and I havent done it again since.

Talk to me when you do all three LOTR movies in a day! 

Other than LOTR I think I've done it twice. Once in HS and I don't remember what I saw, the other time was Ad Astra followed by Hustlers in that order

I remember seeing Titanic in theaters when I was in high school and they had a brief intermission so people could go to the bathroom - not sure why they don't do that anymore.  

Just now, mikemack8 said:

I remember seeing Titanic in theaters when I was in high school and they had a brief intermission so people could go to the bathroom - not sure why they don't do that anymore.  

Nowadays people just wear Depends to the longer movies

• Haha 1

Creed 3 - It's streaming on Prime so I finally got around to watching it.  It's not terrible but it's easily the weakest of the 3.  They should've had Coogler direct this one too.  The final fight between Donnie and Dame started out great, extremely tense, but quickly abandoned the formula that was working so well and, by the end, the outcome was anti-climactic. 

11 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

They probably had to switch film reels back then, like how the VHS was on two tapes lol. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I was just saying this yesterday.  Bring back the intermission.  Theaters would love it.  Round 2 for the concession stand for 1 showing of a movie.

Classic epics that were over 3 hours often had intermissions.  When Tarantino did the roadshow version of Hateful 8, he included an intermission. It doesn't hurt the experience at all.

• Like 2