The Movie Thread

Agent23

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

It’s one of my favorite movies. 

Reveal hidden contents

I can’t even place this movie in a category. It’s 3 hours of agonizing, uncomfortable viewing and I love every minute of it. The only movie comparable to me is 2001: A Space Odyssey.  You ever wanna not get laid?  Suggest these 2 movies on a first date. 😂

That’s true and you’re dumb

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

That’s true and you’re dumb

How could you possibly have responded that fast?  What are you…..creepin on my activity or lurking in this thread?  Either way.  You were still born a hermaphrodite.  Have you figured out how to F yourself yet?  

44 minutes ago, hputenis said:

How could you possibly have responded that fast?  What are you…..creepin on my activity or lurking in this thread?  Either way.  You were still born a hermaphrodite.  Have you figured out how to F yourself yet?  

Nah man, just trying to figure out how many boosters you got in your vag, cumquat

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:55 PM, SPIDER-MAN said:

Saw it yesterday. Weird, but I don't think it was a disturbing as others made it out to be.

Hide contents

The period scene and bathtub scene were out there, but that was it.

F'ing the one guys grave was kind of weird 

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 3:20 PM, hputenis said:

I forgot how good There Will be Blood is. I’ve been on a Daniel Day Lewis kick recently and he’s unbelievable in it. Might be one of the darkest movies I’ve ever seen. @mikemack8 I know you’re into movie scores (and scoring with dudes), and the music in this movie is paired so perfectly with it. It makes me wanna scratch my fingernails on a chalk board and punch the dogs…..but in a good way. 

This has been in my blindspot for the entirety of its existence. I finally went out of my way to watch 2 weekends ago. Gave it proper attention/focus the whole time, and it did absolutely nothing for me. 

While completely different movies, DiCaprio’s embodiment of Rick Dalton is just as immersive and way more entertaining than DDL’s "oil man” is here. I use this Leo movie because I have watched Gangs of New York several times and enjoy that film, and it’s the only interesting watch of DDLs I can think of. 

Even Dano who I enjoy and has done really good work and peculiar characters felt like a cartoon in TWBB along with DDL. Even the deaf kid looked bored with his shtick in the scene with the nice steak dinner. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

This has been in my blindspot for the entirety of its existence. I finally went out of my way to watch 2 weekends ago. Gave it proper attention/focus the whole time, and it did absolutely nothing for me. 

While completely different movies, DiCaprio’s embodiment of Rick Dalton is just as immersive and way more entertaining than DDL’s "oil man” is here. I use this Leo movie because I have watched Gangs of New York several times and enjoy that film, and it’s the only interesting watch of DDLs I can think of. 

Even Dano who I enjoy and has done really good work and peculiar characters felt like a cartoon in TWBB along with DDL. Even the deaf kid looked bored with his shtick in the scene with the nice steak dinner. 

You're nuts - that scene in the bowling alley where he talks about drinking Paul's milkshake is F'n perfection.  DRAINAGE!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I get it. This movie is an acquired taste for a lot of the sickos (myself included). It’s weird to compare Leo’s performance as Rick Dalton to this since they don’t have anything to do with each other, but to deny Daniel Day Lewis’s performance in this movie is ridiculous. Without him, I probably would never even turn this movie on. He’s that good. 

But I wouldn’t expect someone that uses iron covers on their Golden State Warriors golf bag and his 13 cats to intellectually align with a brilliant movie like this.  Jk deek breath!  

image.gif.47420e64f6a0e7c5ee13b58993ce48d9.gif

I've seen a handful of stuff the last couple of months

Wonka - The most recent on the list having watched it a few hours ago. It's a pretty solid movie, I am not a fan of musicals so the excessive musical numbers were a little bit of a slog. I don't know if Timothee Chalamet is the right person to play Wonka either, he looks about 12 and he is supposed to be in what I assume are his early 20's. About 10 minutes before the end it also borders on ridiculous 

Spoiler

Oompa Loompa Hugh Grant flying to the rescue as they're about to drown

But it was still enjoyable enough and I am probably underselling it. 

Ferrari - The guy a couple seats away from me fell asleep and started snoring, that probably sums up this movie pretty well. It was generally a snooze fest with some exciting bits and some of the most ridiculous car crash scenes I have ever seen that I thought I was watching Team America/Scary Movie with how bad they looked. It's not worth seeing at the movies and I debate it's worth watching at all again. 

The Hung Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - This was surprisingly solid. When franchises are being rebooted with random prequels they can be awful and complete money grabs. It probably could have done without the whole last act, or at least 75% of it, but it was still an above average movie. 

Saltburn - Well this one was weird. It was like a bunch of hipsters got together in a room and came up with a script of ridiculous crap.  For starters, the whole film is in a 4x3 aspect ratio which feel like a complete waste to see this on the big screen with half the screen empty space. It then gets into how much Fed up crap can these characters can do which felt more like it was shock factor for the general audience.  

Dumb Money - Pretty easy watch but the last 30 minutes drove me nuts and I kept thinking how f'ing dumb are these people? 

Spoiler

Like how do you blindly follow some random dude on Youtube/Reddit for stock advice and then sink in all your money into fricken Gamestop. Looking at the end most of them cashed out but you still have that one clown still holding the stock. I know a lot of it is dramatized for the movie and one of the firms did end up going bust, but if you started with nothing and ended up with 30k cash some of that crap out! 

If it was on randomly I'd watch it again but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again at this point. 

The Marvels - I am in the minority in that a) I actually watched it and b) I didn't think it was bad. I went in without having watched the 800 hours of other content that was apparently needed to follow along with what was happening. Some of the action scenes were quite good and entertaining but overall it's not something I'll go out of my way to watch again. 

Killers of the Flower Moon - Wayyyy to long. It had no business being 3.5 hours long and boy did it feel it. Lily Gladstone was pretty good but the rest of the movie was kind of dull. 

Silent Night - Random Christmas themed action movie with ridiculous action sequences that was good enough to turn your brain off for a couple of hours. 

Spoiler

Probably didn't need as much of the grieving and could have done half the flashback stuff in one scene but I guess they were trying to pad time? 

Freelance - Another random action movie that was also easy enough to turn your brain off for a couple of hours and enjoy the ridiculousness. Juan Pablo Raba is probably the highlight of the film and did a pretty great job in his role for a cheesy action movie. 

Bottoms - The surprise packet of the bunch. This was quite enjoyable and may have been the best movie that I actually watched on this list. It had it's own what the F am I watching moments but it did them quite well. Marshawn Lynch is in it and also pretty damn good which was a surprise. It does have a bit of a Superbad crossed with Never Back Down vibe that sounds ridiculous but is quite funny. 

The Royal Hotel - I watched this because the actress that plays Ruth in Ozark is in it. It's set in outback Australia and is supposed to be a bit of a creepy work at the pub out in the middle of nowhere type thing. Could have done more with it and was below average. 

• Thanks 1

@Mat your last 3 are the only ones I have not seen yet. 

3 hours ago, The_Omega said:

There are a lot of great movies in there.  I'm a proponent of physical media and don't usually spend to "own" digital copies since they can be taken from your library but if you buy digital movies, that's a really good bundle.  Even some of the lesser known titles like Bunny Lake is Missing are really good.  The quality to junk ratio seems higher than I would have expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shepard Wong said:

There are a lot of great movies in there.  I'm a proponent of physical media and don't usually spend to "own" digital copies since they can be taken from your library but if you buy digital movies, that's a really good bundle.  Even some of the lesser known titles like Bunny Lake is Missing are really good.  The quality to junk ratio seems higher than I would have expected.

I usually buy discs as well. When society crumbles, I’ll still be able to put the kids on the hamster wheel generator so that I can watch some movies.

• Like 1

I went and saw The Holdovers tonight and it was pretty damn good. Aesthetically it even looks like it was shot in the 70's so they did an excellent job of making it feel like it was made in that period. Only downside is the audio sounds a little crap because of it.

42 minutes ago, Mat said:

I went and saw The Holdovers tonight and it was pretty damn good. Aesthetically it even looks like it was shot in the 70's so they did an excellent job of making it feel like it was made in that period. Only downside is the audio sounds a little crap because of it.

We/I got that over here in America like 2 months ago!

13 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I have a lot of physical discs (streamlined into a few binders) but my digital collection is also getting obscenely large :lol: 

IMG_2138.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

We/I got that over here in America like 2 months ago!

It came out here about a week ago

What I still have on my list

Poor Things

The Beekeeper

The Iron Claw (releases today)

The Colour Purple (releases next week)

There are also a couple of movies that have great 'reviews' in Priscilla and All Of Us Strangers which I have a feeling will be crap. 

There is also a handful of stuff releasing when I may be on holidays so I might have to miss those unfortunately if they're not out when I get back. 

2 minutes ago, Mat said:

It came out here about a week ago

What I still have on my list

Poor Things

The Beekeeper

The Iron Claw (releases today)

The Colour Purple (releases next week)

There are also a couple of movies that have great 'reviews' in Priscilla and All Of Us Strangers which I have a feeling will be crap. 

There is also a handful of stuff releasing when I may be on holidays so I might have to miss those unfortunately if they're not out when I get back. 

Purple I have not seen (nor the original). The Priscilla and strangers I have no heard of. I’ve seen the rest 

35 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I have a lot of physical discs (streamlined into a few binders) but my digital collection is also getting obscenely large :lol: 

IMG_2138.png

My collection is mostly in binders too.  There were just way too many to keep in their cases anymore.  I’m thinking I may set up a private server and start ripping copies of my discs onto it just so I have easier access to everything.

Godzilla Minus One is amazing. It's slow at times, but they gave it an actual plot outside of Godzilla trashing everything. Godzilla looked awesome.

• Like 1

Poor Things was way better than I expected.  It's cool to watch somebody finally take Tim Burton's style and make it a genre but also pushing it forward with a mature theme.

Watched The Father with Anthony Hopkins - very well done.  Examines dementia from different points of view - and effects on many involved.

Powerful.

I saw Poor Things a couple of hours ago. I don't even know how to describe it. I've seen some absurd crap in my time, but this was.....eccentric? The first half of the movie stylistically is like a cross between Tim Burton and The Cabinet of Dr Calgari. Like I still don't know what the hell I just watched and have no desire to watch it again

2 hours ago, Mat said:

I saw Poor Things a couple of hours ago. I don't even know how to describe it. I've seen some absurd crap in my time, but this was.....eccentric? The first half of the movie is like a cross between Tim Burton and The Cabinet of Dr Calgari. Like I still don't know what the hell I just watched and have no desire to watch it again

You're doing a better job selling me on seeing it than the producers of the film did.

11 hours ago, Mat said:

I saw Poor Things a couple of hours ago. I don't even know how to describe it. I've seen some absurd crap in my time, but this was.....eccentric? The first half of the movie stylistically is like a cross between Tim Burton and The Cabinet of Dr Calgari. Like I still don't know what the hell I just watched and have no desire to watch it again

That’s because you’re not HE obsessed with boobs and seeing big stars nekkid in everything