The Movie Thread

Agent23

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

At Close Range.  

Penn, Penn, Walken.   Based on a true story about a gang in Lancaster in the 70’s.  Some might be familiar with the story.  Was all new to me.   Movie was good.  Penn and Walken were excellent, naturally.   Mary Stuart Masterson is in it as well.  Speaking of which, she has aged nicely.   

my all time favorite Walken movie. one of my favorite movies in general. few people yell ''mother f***er'' as well as Walken. glad you got to watch it.....................................LIAR!  

did you recognize keifer sutherland at the end (when Tommy White is led in to the courthouse) ?

974644567.jpg

5 hours ago, hputenis said:

Never expected to see that in a sentence 😂   

Beers on Film on Twitter: "Oct 1...Happy Beer-thday #RandyQuaid ...

they operated mostly in chester county.

Rocket Man - Did you know that Elton John is ghey?  I can’t believe I missed that.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, NOTW said:

The Old Guard on Netflix isn't bad.  It copies from lots of movies and uses the John Wick gun-fu style but for a Netflix original it's entertaining.  It was better than the Chris Hemsworth hostage movie whatever that was called.

Plus the fat muggle kid from Harry Potter is grown up and thin and a villain in it. :lol:

I watched the Old Guard a couple nights ago.  It was OK.  Nothing really all that original.  I missed the fat muggle from HP, though, but since he's thin now that would explain why.  I think I'd give it the edge over Hemsworth's film.  

11 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Rocket Man - Did you know that Elton John is ghey?  I can’t believe I missed that.

I didn't know going into the film it was a musical. I'm fine with those now and again, but I always know that's the journey I will be taken on going into it. When it was hitting theaters, I swear there was not a single trailer for the film showing everyone in the background doing a song and dance number.

I think that "surprise" factor kind of killed the film for me a bit because it just felt very distracting. Like this dramatic biopic would just have these huge tonal shift song and dance numbers :roll:

12 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I didn't know going into the film it was a musical. I'm fine with those now and again, but I always know that's the journey I will be taken on going into it. When it was hitting theaters, I swear there was not a single trailer for the film showing everyone in the background doing a song and dance number.

I think that "surprise" factor kind of killed the film for me a bit because it just felt very distracting. Like this dramatic biopic would just have these huge tonal shift song and dance numbers :roll:

same here, 10 minutes in Chickie and I looked at  each other and wondered if we should proceed. We should have switched over to Kingsmen:The Golden Circle, a better elton john biopic. 

26 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

It was like The Adventures of Hudson Hawk in that regard (although not quite as bad as HH).  It's just dishonest to foist a musical onto an unsuspecting audience like that.

20 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

It was like The Adventures of Hudson Hawk in that regard (although not quite as bad as HH).  It's just dishonest to foist a musical onto an unsuspecting audience like that.

nothing wrong with some Hudson Hawk ( minus the dolphin scene, double minus the skateboard singing & triple minus that mutt annie mcdowell) if you know what you're getting into. 

I just saw Showdown in Little Tokyo for the first time.  I don't know how that movie escaped me as a kid.  I was always allowed to watch anything, but there was definitely a ridiculous amount of strippers and boobage in this one.  What a tremendously terrible, awesome movie, just like all other movies in that genre.  Brandon Lee gave possibly the worst acting performance I've ever seen, and it was perfect for this movie.  It's 90 minutes of T&A with nothing but arse kicking in between, and a ridiculous death for the bad guy at the end.  Highly recommend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I just saw Showdown in Little Tokyo for the first time.  I don't know how that movie escaped me as a kid.  I was always allowed to watch anything, but there was definitely a ridiculous amount of strippers and boobage in this one.  What a tremendously terrible, awesome movie, just like all other movies in that genre.  Brandon Lee gave possibly the worst acting performance I've ever seen, and it was perfect for this movie.  It's 90 minutes of T&A with nothing but arse kicking in between, and a ridiculous death for the bad guy at the end.  Highly recommend.  

Warner should reprint the blu-ray cover to include that quote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@hputenis, here is a bizarre one for you.  The synopsis on Amazon Prime conveys the insanity better than I could so here:

Mind you, this movie is so insane, they forgot to mention he also fights Dracula.

Sadly, it’s no longer available on Prime Video but a murky but full copy of the movie is available on YouTube

CC7822A6-E242-4FAE-B0BD-BBEC417B0D01.jpeg

• Haha 1

To give you an idea of what you are in for if you watch it, here’s a shot of the very first time you see "Bruce Lee”, lying on his death bed in the afterlife:

086DFA76-5553-4131-9218-9847066B548B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been firing up some really old movies, some I had seen before, others classics I never got around to.

Ersaerhead is unwatchable.  my 3 rd attempt.  F that.

Flash Gordon still has its moments that shine (The Queen Soundtrack is timeless), but it looks like a movie from the 1920's.

Escape from New York has a nice John Carpenter in his peak aesthetic, but it's not a very engaging movie once the action starts.  I saw Big Trouble, Little China about a year ago and that one still stands up very well.

White Lightning is an almost 50 year old Burt Reynolds classic and it resonates big time in 2020.  Damn good sunday matinee fare, Am Prime has it.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:24 AM, hputenis said:

Is this the movie that they mention how big Dolph Lundgren's deek is because that is quite possibly the worst line in any movie ever? :lol:

• Haha 1

And it is. This one scene sums up the movie

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mat said:

And it is. This one scene sums up the movie

I had no idea how bad of an actor Brandon Lee was.  I've never seen the Crow, which I've heard good reviews on, but he was cringe worthy in almost every part of this movie, especially this one.  

I watched Richard Jewell over the weekend. It was ok, but kind of boring at the same time. interesting story, not sure interesting enough to be a movie. No idea how Kathy Bates was nominated as Best Supporting Actress when she had all of maybe 10 lines and nothing really memorable. 

28 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I watched Richard Jewell over the weekend. It was ok, but kind of boring at the same time. interesting story, not sure interesting enough to be a movie. No idea how Kathy Bates was nominated as Best Supporting Actress when she had all of maybe 10 lines and nothing really memorable. 

I enjoyed it a bunch, as we know the guy is innocent, but he's sooo dim that watching him dig his own grave at times was just fascinating. 

9 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I enjoyed it a bunch, as we know the guy is innocent, but he's sooo dim that watching him dig his own grave at times was just fascinating. 

Yea that part was pretty fun.

"Don't talk" 

RJ: immediately talks

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

"Don't talk" 

my man sammy rockwell was trying so hard to help him! 

5 hours ago, Agent23 said:

5 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"Don't talk" 

It was like he had a pathology and just couldn't help himself.  Always looking to bring up at every opportunity how he's also LE.  Also makes you wonder if they really focused on him and didn't seem interested in pursuing other suspects or that was just how the film played it out.  If the former, that's pretty scary ish and a big fail on the FBI.

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

It was like he had a pathology and just couldn't help himself.  Always looking to bring up at every opportunity how he's also LE.  Also makes you wonder if they really focused on him and didn't seem interested in pursuing other suspects or that was just how the film played it out.  If the former, that's pretty scary ish and a big fail on the FBI.

I feel like all law enforcements agencies are "graded” on getting a conviction. Not solving the crime. Which is why any suspect local police pick up, their number one priority is getting a confession out of the person. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I feel like all law enforcements agencies are "grading” on getting a conviction. Not solving the crime. Which is why any suspect local police pick up, their number one priority is getting a confession out of the person. 

See, this is why LE should listen to people like Sherlock Holmes and Castle.  :P

Throw in Finch and Reese, too.