The Movie Thread

Agent23

On 11/10/2020 at 1:02 AM, Mat said:

Movies open again on Thursday! I'm already booked to go see Tenet on Friday

Saw it. It was meh. Over complicated, self indulgent and average plot/acting. Some of the scenes they shot were amazing in terms of scale and the forward/reverse, but it didn't make up for the rest.

I don't really buy Twilight or Ricky Jarrett as super spys. I didn't feel it looked all that pretty either. It felt flat and there was a lot of noise (not film grain, noise).

The sound was fricken horrible in large chunks. Apparently he intentionally made it inaudible. 

New Mutants was kind of lame lol

Could have been a lot better

Spoiler

One doctor supervising that huge building that had 5 mutants in it? BS

Antebellum

Wow. I went into this movie having never watched a trailer

It's like a Westworld/The Village but for racists. Wtf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched The Hunt tonight.  I really enjoyed it.  I get the controversy a bit with it, but I feel like after the first 10 minutes, they make fun of the left a lot more than the right.  It’s actually quite a funny movie and I’ll probably watch it again when it’s on.  I highly recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:41 PM, Mike030270 said:

Antebellum

Wow. I went into this movie having never watched a trailer

It's like a Westworld/The Village but for racists. Wtf

I just saw it yesterday.  I loved the start, then it just got weird.  Spot on with your comparison, but I wouldn't recommend.  

I saw someone else post about it, but I'm in the middle of Unhinged right now.  I think I saw 4for4 post about it awhile back, but I love it so far.  2 observations.  

1) Russell Crowe is an awesome actor.  He looks and acts like he's totally.........Unhinged.

2) How much f'n weight did he put on for this movie??  150 lbs?  He looks like he ate Maximus Decimus Meridius.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I just saw it yesterday.  I loved the start, then it just got weird.  Spot on with your comparison, but I wouldn't recommend.  

I saw someone else post about it, but I'm in the middle of Unhinged right now.  I think I saw 4for4 post about it awhile back, but I love it so far.  2 observations.  

1) Russell Crowe is an awesome actor.  He looks and acts like he's totally.........Unhinged.

2) How much f'n weight did he put on for this movie??  150 lbs?  He looks like he ate Maximus Decimus Meridius.

So you would recommend?  I was on the fence 

Unhinged I mean 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:

So you would recommend?  I was on the fence 

Unhinged I mean 

Yeah man.  I would definitely recommend.  Russell Crowe killed that role.  He's probably the only good actor in the movie, but it was a pretty cool premise/plot.  

I think shortly we'll be able to remake that movie starring Ben Simmons the next time someone from the media asks him about taking a jump shot.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I See You:  Very good. Plenty of twists.  But buttoned everything up at the end.  Very well done.  One of the better movies I’ve seen this year.  

You Should Have Left:  Was terrible.  Kevin Bacon was horrendous.  Do not watch this movie   

Richard Jewell:  Was well done.  Clint Eastwood made it, so there is definitely some inaccuracies.  But Sam Rockwell, was great as usual.  

Sammy Rocks is awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - I finally got around to watching it.  I've managed to avoid the spoilers, and the discussions, and the movie itself until now, but I had heard that the end was wild, and being that it's Tarantino, and that the Manson murderers were involved, I knew that it was going to be bloody, but holy ish, I didn't expect it to go down the way that it did. :lol: I liked that version a lot better than reality.  I'm about to say something that I don't usually say, but both Decaprio and Bradley Pitts were great in it.  I usually think that they're overrated, but they were a h00t.  I liked it better than the past couple of Tarantino movies, and look forward to watching it again.

• Like 2

Anyone been binge watching classic movies while on lockdown? I must have watched Casablanca about 4 times this year alone. Also been watching Hitchcock movies.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:05 PM, The_Omega said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - I finally got around to watching it.  I've managed to avoid the spoilers, and the discussions, and the movie itself until now, but I had heard that the end was wild, and being that it's Tarantino, and that the Manson murderers were involved, I knew that it was going to be bloody, but holy ish, I didn't expect it to go down the way that it did. :lol: I liked that version a lot better than reality.  I'm about to say something that I don't usually say, but both Decaprio and Bradley Pitts were great in it.  I usually think that they're overrated, but they were a h00t.  I liked it better than the past couple of Tarantino movies, and look forward to watching it again.

Was easily my most enjoyable film of that year from a rewatchtability standpoint. Think I saw thrice in theaters. 

On 1/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, c_u_in_tampa said:

Anyone been binge watching classic movies while on lockdown? I must have watched Casablanca about 4 times this year alone. Also been watching Hitchcock movies.

I've been tempted to do this. I haven't seen a lot of stuff from that gen and just know the general plots/famous lines because they're so highly regarded. I started going back and watching some of the classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men a while back but didn't continue. 

I'm also thinking I find a list of top 100 movies and watch all of them on the list.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:59 PM, c_u_in_tampa said:

what Hitchcock movies? I have a Hitchcock inspired half sleeve tattoo as I had an elective class in college that focused on him and a handful of his films. My fiance is an elitist millennial who has a hard time watching older movies so I only watch them while with her sparingly. Watched Vertigo with her a few months back. Which was cool, bc I then watched "The Game" with Michael Douglas for the first time and the end of that movie had two or three Veritgo nods in it. Love seeing that stuff and his influence still showing up today. 

Been meaning to watch Dial M for Murder for a while now, that was always one of my favorites and its been years since I last seen it. 

In terms of other classical movies, after playing Red Dead Redemption 2 last year I been having a craving to dive into Westerns, but don't know where to start or what streaming service is ideal for that.  

8 hours ago, Mat said:

I've been tempted to do this. I haven't seen a lot of stuff from that gen and just know the general plots/famous lines because they're so highly regarded. I started going back and watching some of the classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men a while back but didn't continue. 

I'm also thinking I find a list of top 100 movies and watch all of them on the list.

american film institute has lists you can follow

This was a great listen the other day in terms of looking for movies to watch. Three hosts all give their top 10 films of 2020, I made a list on my phone while listening of movies that sounded worth checking out based on their reviews and its at least 10 total that sounded good / I heard about earlier this year then forgot about. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/top-10-films-of-2020-featuring-josh-bell-and-jason-harris/id1355980034?i=1000504047833 

1 hour ago, JBENT87 said:

This was a great listen the other day in terms of looking for movies to watch. Three hosts all give their top 10 films of 2020, I made a list on my phone while listening of movies that sounded worth checking out based on their reviews and its at least 10 total that sounded good / I heard about earlier this year then forgot about. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/top-10-films-of-2020-featuring-josh-bell-and-jason-harris/id1355980034?i=1000504047833 

Any chance you can list the movies for us so I don't have to listen to that?  

17 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Any chance you can list the movies for us so I don't have to listen to that?  

I didn't make note of every film they discussed (almost 30), just the ones I was the most interested in. Here's what I got from it.

Dark and the wicked (Shudder)
Another round 
Black bear 
Thoroughbreds (not from last year but been meaning to see this and they mentioned it in reference to another movie they were discussing) 
Bad education (HBO)
Becky
Vast of night (Amazon)

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBENT87 said:

I didn't make note of every film they discussed (almost 30), just the ones I was the most interested in. Here's what I got from it.

Another round 
Black bear 
Thoroughbreds (not from last year but been meaning to see this and they mentioned it in reference to another movie they were discussing) 
Bad education (HBO)
Becky
Vast of night (Amazon)

Vast of Night is the only one I've seent, and it was good IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

Another round 
Black bear 
Bad education (HBO)
Becky
Vast of night (Amazon)

Good stuff. Thank you for this. That first one looks great but unfortunately, it looks like it’s not on Shudder yet. Hope that happens soon!

23 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

Vast of Night is the only one I've sent, and it was good IMO.

I really liked Vast of Night.  Becky was pretty good also.  The others I haven't seen yet.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Good stuff. Thank you for this. That first one looks great but unfortunately, it looks like it’s not on Shudder yet. Hope that happens soon!

yep that first one looks scary as hell. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

yep that first one looks scary as hell. 

Downloading this one now...Looks cool.

• Like 1

Going thru my dvd collection and forgot about this one.  IMO it’s worth a watch.

194125A3-55AC-4E0B-A746-BF4899BBD849.jpeg