The Movie Thread

Agent23

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

See, this is why LE should listen to people like Sherlock Holmes and Castle.  :P

Throw in Finch and Reese, too.

Finch and Reese. Man I love that show.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:32 AM, Bill said:

Watching Midway. What a simultaneously over and under acted POS. 

I got a war movie junkie friend that said it was straight trash.

Birds of Prey and the Craptacular Emancipation of One Harley Quinn - More proof that movie reviews are now reliably based on woke politics, rather than actual merit.  Billed as one of the better recent attempts by DC Comics, it may have been marginally better than Justice League or Suicide Squad but, given that those were terrible, that merely makes this marginally less terrible.  And, note to studios, making a bad movie R rated doesn't make a bad movie better, it just limits the customer base for a bad movie.  That said, Jussie Smollet's sister looks nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Birds of Prey and the Craptacular Emancipation of One Harley Quinn - More proof that movie reviews are now reliably based on woke politics, rather than actual merit.  Billed as one of the better recent attempts by DC Comics, it may have been marginally better than Justice League or Suicide Squad but, given that those were terrible, that merely makes this marginally less terrible.  And, note to studios, making a bad movie R rated doesn't make a bad movie better, it just limits the customer base for a bad movie.  That said, Jussie Smollet's sister looks nice.

I mean DC hasn’t had a great track record of late so it’s not untrue. That said, it’s not good. The only recent DC movies I’ve liked are WW and Shazam. Aquaman was okay.  Everything else has been pretty bad.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I mean DC hasn’t had a great track record of late so it’s not untrue. That said, it’s not good. The only recent DC movies I’ve liked are WW and Shazam. Aquaman was okay.  Everything else has been pretty bad.

Agreed.  I almost included Aquaman in the sentence about Justice League and Suicide Squad, but, as much of a mess as it was, it was fun at times, so I left it out.

43 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

when i hear there's a new DC anything coming out, i just turn my head and cough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

when i hear there's a new DC anything coming out, i just turn my head and cough. 

I will admit WW84 looks good. And I’m intrigued by a Robert Pattinson Batman. People slam him for the twilight movies but he’s had some great performances recently. 

I thought The Joker was pretty good, too, but it's not something I'm likely to watch again.

1 minute ago, The_Omega said:

I thought The Joker was pretty good, too, but it's not something I'm likely to watch again.

Joker was good, but it’s so different and unattached to the other DC properties it feels weird to include it in the discussion. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

That person must be so much fun to hang around with.

Agree.  Thought whoever it was that wrote that article was really nitpicking most of the time.  I really want those minutes of my life back.  If you haven't clicked on it yet, don't bother.  Chew on some tinfoil while you shave your face with cheese grater would be time better well spent.

7 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  Thought whoever it was that wrote that article was really nitpicking most of the time.  I really want those minutes of my life back.  If you haven't clicked on it yet, don't bother.  Chew on some tinfoil while you shave your face with cheese grater would be time better well spent.

it's why i switched to cinemawins and the everything great about series

On 8/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, The_Omega said:

I actually thought the movie overall was a little boring, but Joaquin Phoenix is so creepishly awesome as the Joker I've watched it twice.  That was the most unbelievable acting I can remember seeing.  

I liked Birds of Prey. 

Then again I would pay money to see Margot Robbie read the phone book. 

• Like 1

Border.  I friggin LOVED this movie.  It's Swedish and I can't give too much away, but let's say it's somehwere between Let the Right One in and Bright.  Hulu has it for free. Amazon for rent.

I haven’t seen it yet but New Mutants is getting trashed big time. Shame, I remember that trailer looking promising 5 years ago 

My MIL doesn't like Dumb and Dumber.  Understandable as she is turning 60 soon, and her sense of humor is terrible, but we definitely got into a verbal altercation about it last night.  If you can appreciate that movie for what it is.........then you're doing it right.  Someone name another movie that is quotable and hilarious from opening to closing credits other than National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  I'll wait.   

On 8/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Disagree with the one about the terminator. It’s an old time travel paradox, but most theorists don’t think time is actually linear, meaning the cause and effect paradox of the T-800 salvage being the inspiration for SkyNet isn’t actually a paradox. There are also multiple divergent time paths. Kind of the irony of it is that there is fate. Not a specific linear fate, but a grander metaphysical fate. Both the date of judgement day and also human triumph are malleable in specifics but fixed in ultimate outcome.

I had the misfortune of watching the newest one, and John Connor (BTW, I don’t think those initials were a coincidence) gets killed by a T-800 in front of mama Connor. It’s explained that multiple terminators were sent back to multiple time periods. So you can throw all of the CPUs into molten lava in T2, but there are multiple T-800’s as well as several prototype models like the T-1000 floating around in time to jump start the robotics and AI revolution.

If companies are simply backwards engineering the technology, it doesn’t need to be Cyberdyne that makes SkyNet or the machines. It could be google or amazon or some unknown startup that gets their hands on the hardware and tries to recreate it. As an aside, I think it’s an interesting study on free will as well. The terminators are supposed to be general AI capable of learning and decision making  but ultimately they come to the same exterminate humanity conclusion. Perhaps understandable with machines having exact replicas made, but would an exact replica of a human brain be any different? I digress...

In any case, no matter what the machines do to kill Sarah or John or anyone else, they will still lose because someone steps into their place as the leader of the human resistance. A convenient Hollywood explanation to deal with Edward Furlong being a junkie, but also the ultimate takeaway from the series.

9 hours ago, hputenis said:

My MIL doesn't like Dumb and Dumber.  Understandable as she is turning 60 soon, and her sense of humor is terrible, but we definitely got into a verbal altercation about it last night.  If you can appreciate that movie for what it is.........then you're doing it right.  Someone name another movie that is quotable and hilarious from opening to closing credits other than National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  I'll wait.   

Holy Grail

Mad mad mad world

Weird Science

Fletch

Murder by Death

22 hours ago, TEW said:

Disagree with the one about the terminator. It’s an old time travel paradox, but most theorists don’t think time is actually linear, meaning the cause and effect paradox of the T-800 salvage being the inspiration for SkyNet isn’t actually a paradox. There are also multiple divergent time paths. Kind of the irony of it is that there is fate. Not a specific linear fate, but a grander metaphysical fate. Both the date of judgement day and also human triumph are malleable in specifics but fixed in ultimate outcome.

I had the misfortune of watching the newest one, and John Connor (BTW, I don’t think those initials were a coincidence) gets killed by a T-800 in front of mama Connor. It’s explained that multiple terminators were sent back to multiple time periods. So you can throw all of the CPUs into molten lava in T2, but there are multiple T-800’s as well as several prototype models like the T-1000 floating around in time to jump start the robotics and AI revolution.

If companies are simply backwards engineering the technology, it doesn’t need to be Cyberdyne that makes SkyNet or the machines. It could be google or amazon or some unknown startup that gets their hands on the hardware and tries to recreate it. As an aside, I think it’s an interesting study on free will as well. The terminators are supposed to be general AI capable of learning and decision making  but ultimately they come to the same exterminate humanity conclusion. Perhaps understandable with machines having exact replicas made, but would an exact replica of a human brain be any different? I digress...

In any case, no matter what the machines do to kill Sarah or John or anyone else, they will still lose because someone steps into their place as the leader of the human resistance. A convenient Hollywood explanation to deal with Edward Furlong being a junkie, but also the ultimate takeaway from the series.

Oh I posted that to poop on Interstellar.  I just think it's funny when it rightfully gets lumped in with other high fantasy sci-fi while the movie has a fanboi cult that seems to think it's hard science.