Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, stine said:

OK, Let's say Hurts does work out well. Wentz gets hurt week 16 and Hurts comes in and we go to the SB. Now we are stuck with a QB controversy like SF was a few years back. Do you really want this? I surly don't. IDK, Maybe I am the only one who sees all kinds of problems whether this pick works out or it doesn't. Seems to me a trade back getting another pick and either grabbing Hurts or the other two options would be preferred. I actually prefer the other two over Hurts. Well, this is done and we have to wait and see.... I hope I am wrong and all works out....

Just wondering if they are slowly changing the team concept.If you look at the top teams,other than a some old guys who have honed their skills(Aaron,Brady,RIvers,Brees et al),we are seeing the QB position being transformed with the likes of Mahomes,Jackson,Taysom behind Brees just to name a few. The new QB's are "run and gun" pass on the fly.Not many newer QB's are stand up pocket passers anymore.Most have running ability now,so possibly we are seeing the birds make a move towards that future type QB. I would sandbag a few years from now for the opportunity to get Trevor Lawrence(this will be his soph year) in here.Kids gonna be an amazing QB someday at the pro level

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Just wondering if they are slowly changing the team concept.If you look at the top teams,other than a some old guys who have honed their skills(Aaron,Brady,RIvers,Brees et al),we are seeing the QB position being transformed with the likes of Mahomes,Jackson,Taysom behind Brees just to name a few. The new QB's are "run and gun" pass on the fly.Not many newer QB's are stand up pocket passers anymore.Most have running ability now,so possibly we are seeing the birds make a move towards that future type QB. I would sandbag a few years from now for the opportunity to get Trevor Lawrence(this will be his soph year) in here.Kids gonna be an amazing QB someday at the pro level

How many times have we heard it's  a copycat league.

47 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

t Trevor Lawrence(this will be his soph year

Isn’t he going into his junior year???? Likely be the top guy in the next draft if he comes out 

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The QB controversy in San Fran wasn’t between Kaepernick and Smith. Once he finally unleashed Kaepernick the team went to another level reaching the SB. Kaep was clearly the starter. Whole team was behind him. The QB controversy revolved more around Kaep’s beliefs and social platforms. Nothing to do with him ousting Alex Smith. Nobody had a problem with that.

Kaep got benched for Blaine Gabbert ... before any beliefs or kneeling.  Smith was already in KC.   There was no controversy in SF... clearly 2 different coaches thought Gabbert was better.  

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The QB controversy in San Fran wasn’t between Kaepernick and Smith. Once he finally unleashed Kaepernick the team went to another level reaching the SB. Kaep was clearly the starter. Whole team was behind him. The QB controversy revolved more around Kaep’s beliefs and social platforms. Nothing to do with him ousting Alex Smith. Nobody had a problem with that.

At the time Smith got hurt, he was leading the NFL in almost every category.....

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Ok my stats transferred over just need my Dawkins back.

I didn't get mine back  :(

Did mine late Sat pm, took until yesterday to have the stats transfer.

As for your avi, just copy your old one from your profile and paste it into the new one, it guides you thru

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

This is a great link to figure out what the best reason for a few of the offseason moves.      NOTE... they have Goodwin under hid old deal, so not as bad.

$25 mil over the cap next year ... (with the increase put in... prior to exercising Barnett's option ..... prior rolling over any 2019 $$$... prior to signing draft classes and prior to signing any other players...etc)

So quick math .... we add nobody right now ... we carry over $23 mil.   Still $2 mil over.    Alshon and DeSean are not back next year... saves another $13 mil   Puts us $11 mil under.    We cut Douglas this year... puts us $13 mil under.

But we have to sign 2 draft classes ... say another $5 mil of real cap hits   .... $8 mil under

Now... stay on that # for a minute .... remember the fact that any other signings for this year... whoever you want to add, take away from that #.  One year deals all count.  2 year deals won't help much either.  This is why no Robbie Anderson for $20 mil   No Perrimen for $6 mil.   Looking to save as much as possible incase any of Clement, Bradham, Curry or Peters come back, they need to be as minimal as possbile.

Now you can also notice a big thing that is different than any other years where Howie was able to " perform his magic"  LOL    There are 2 ways to perform the " Magic"  or save cap space.  1 = cut expensive guys    2. = restructure the expensive guys.    There is a problem with that next year.  

There are limited # of expensive guys.... Wentz, Cox, Jeffrey, Graham, Lane, Slay, Hargrave, Brooks, Malik,  Ertz, DeSean, Kelce.... 

Alshon and DeSean... I already have them cut....   
Hargrave and Slay just signed, no room to extend to save money really, not enough impact
Graham, Kelce, Malik ... not going to extend, and you don't save anything if you cut them
Brooks and Lane ... not going to extend either at this age... can't cut Lane it makes it worse... Brooks cut only saves $2 mil

Your 3 moves involve Wentz, Cox and Ertz.    extending or restructuring Wentz or Cox .... or trading Ertz.

Why do I bring this up   ..... THIS IS WHY YOU DRAFT A #2 QB FOR CHEAP.      They cannot afford to make expensive moves... a backup QB, a legit vet #2 WR ... all cost too much money.   They already need to make some moves they probably don't want to make to create any room at all next year.  They can't afford to rent an expensive player.    Slay and Hargrave are impact players that have a combined $7.7 mil cap hit this year.   You can't pay Joe Flacco $6 mil or Perrimen $6 mil ... or Robbie Anderson $20 mil ... or Bradham, Peters, or whoever else as a rental that kind of money.  

While you guys spend a lot of time on the draft ... and look for all these reasons why this pick was made at 53.  Understanding the salary cap helps explain a lot of things... really it's not that complicated at all if you take 5 minutes to really look at it.   Pick 53 was about cap space and getting a cheap #2 QB as it was anything else you want to bring into it.  The one exception is that you can debate all the other things... one thing you can't is the fact that we just do not have the cap space until 2022.  

And I forgot to even factor into the #s ... adding Barnett's new $$ whatever it is... and also if they extend Goedert , it will at best keep it the same, but probably create a little more of a cap hit.   The point is... you still need to get to $10 to $15 mil under the cap to make any moves at all... otherwise we are stuck.   It's not a luxury to be $15 mil under the cap, it's a necessity.  

Do not overthink pick 53 ... it i$ what it i$.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  

15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

This is a great link to figure out what the best reason for a few of the offseason moves.      NOTE... they have Goodwin under hid old deal, so not as bad.

$25 mil over the cap next year ... (with the increase put in... prior to exercising Barnett's option ..... prior rolling over any 2019 $$$... prior to signing draft classes and prior to signing any other players...etc)

So quick math .... we add nobody right now ... we carry over $23 mil.   Still $2 mil over.    Alshon and DeSean are not back next year... saves another $13 mil   Puts us $11 mil under.    We cut Douglas this year... puts us $13 mil under.

But we have to sign 2 draft classes ... say another $5 mil of real cap hits   .... $8 mil under

Now... stay on that # for a minute .... remember the fact that any other signings for this year... whoever you want to add, take away from that #.  One year deals all count.  2 year deals won't help much either.  This is why no Robbie Anderson for $20 mil   No Perrimen for $6 mil.   Looking to save as much as possible incase any of Clement, Bradham, Curry or Peters come back, they need to be as minimal as possbile.

Now you can also notice a big thing that is different than any other years where Howie was able to " perform his magic"  LOL    There are 2 ways to perform the " Magic"  or save cap space.  1 = cut expensive guys    2. = restructure the expensive guys.    There is a problem with that next year.  

There are limited # of expensive guys.... Wentz, Cox, Jeffrey, Graham, Lane, Slay, Hargrave, Brooks, Malik,  Ertz, DeSean, Kelce.... 

Alshon and DeSean... I already have them cut....   
Hargrave and Slay just signed, no room to extend to save money really, not enough impact
Graham, Kelce, Malik ... not going to extend, and you don't save anything if you cut them
Brooks and Lane ... not going to extend either at this age... can't cut Lane it makes it worse... Brooks cut only saves $2 mil

Your 3 moves involve Wentz, Cox and Ertz.    extending or restructuring Wentz or Cox .... or trading Ertz.

Why do I bring this up   ..... THIS IS WHY YOU DRAFT A #2 QB FOR CHEAP.      They cannot afford to make expensive moves... a backup QB, a legit vet #2 WR ... all cost too much money.   They already need to make some moves they probably don't want to make to create any room at all next year.  They can't afford to rent an expensive player.    Slay and Hargrave are impact players that have a combined $7.7 mil cap hit this year.   You can't pay Joe Flacco $6 mil or Perrimen $6 mil ... or Robbie Anderson $20 mil ... or Bradham, Peters, or whoever else as a rental that kind of money.  

While you guys spend a lot of time on the draft ... and look for all these reasons why this pick was made at 53.  Understanding the salary cap helps explain a lot of things... really it's not that complicated at all if you take 5 minutes to really look at it.   Pick 53 was about cap space and getting a cheap #2 QB as it was anything else you want to bring into it.  The one exception is that you can debate all the other things... one thing you can't is the fact that we just do not have the cap space until 2022.  

I am not complaining they picked a QB, I am complaining they picked a QB at 53!  Big difference. After all The Eagles are a QB factory!  They can easily make a 3rd or 4th round QB work by what they are saying....

1 minute ago, stine said:

I am not complaining they picked a QB, I am complaining they picked a QB at 53!  Big difference. After all The Eagles are a QB factory!  They can easily make a 3rd or 4th round QB work by what they are saying....

Stine... I didn't single you out or worry about your absolutely LEGIT issue.   i'm just saying... they NEEDED to go this route .... they needed to get a legit draft pick that would be considered a possible #2 by 2021.    

So what do we need to ask ourselves.... which QBs would be legit considered possible #2s instead of " projects"    I don't know this answer, but looking at the draft results and what everyone seems to be saying... the rest of the group after Hurts are all projects.    

So if he was the only legit one left.... the question is if he would have been there at 103 or if there was a possible trade down .   Seems like he wouldn't have been there at 103.  So could we have traded down?   IDK... how far or were there offers to do it?   We don't know, it takes 2 to make a deal, I would love to trade down 5 spots every time and pick the same guy, but I'm sure that opportunity yo move down isn't there all the time.   so I don't know.

What I do know... is that they needed to draft the cheap #2 option.  Or should I say, they couldn't really put more $$ into QB these next couple of years.  By drafting him a 53, it's legit for them to say that they won't invest $$ in the position yet.   The next move is the developmental #3 guy next year.... which won't cost much.   

Doesn't me we can't complain... just saying this was more than what people think.... $$$$ is the main factor.  Or at least the one that we can't debate.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Stine... I didn't single you out or worry about your absolutely LEGIT issue.   i'm just saying... they NEEDED to go this route .... they needed to get a legit draft pick that would be considered a possible #2 by 2021.    

So what do we need to ask ourselves.... which QBs would be legit considered possible #2s instead of " projects"    I don't know this answer, but looking at the draft results and what everyone seems to be saying... the rest of the group after Hurts are all projects.    

So if he was the only legit one left.... the question is if he would have been there at 103 or if there was a possible trade down .   Seems like he wouldn't have been there at 103.  So could we have traded down?   IDK... how far or were there offers to do it?   We don't know, it takes 2 to make a deal, I would love to trade down 5 spots every time and pick the same guy, but I'm sure that opportunity yo move down isn't there all the time.   so I don't know.

What I do know... is that they needed to draft the cheap #2 option.  Or should I say, they couldn't really put more $$ into QB these next couple of years.  By drafting him a 53, it's legit for them to say that they won't invest $$ in the position yet.   The next move is the developmental #3 guy next year.... which won't cost much.   

Doesn't me we can't complain... just saying this was more than what people think.... $$$$ is the main factor.  Or at least the one that we can't debate.  

Ravens traded up with someone else so I am sure they would have with us. At least get us another 4th round pick....

Also, Drafting a QB in round 3 is less cash than round 2

Right.. .nobody debates that... but not as significant and the difference between draft pick and free agent vet.   Again... would he have been there and was there a chance to trade back???  IDK   We can legit debate that.... again, we cannot debate the $$ issue.   

Just now, stine said:

Ravens traded up with someone else so I am sure they would have with us. At least get us another 4th round pick....

I'm not sure of anything.   Nor am I sure that if we traded down, another team wouldn't have traded up ... we can think all we want... and I can agree with you 100%  ... but it's still our opinions.  The one FACT is the $$ issue.  

And maybe the idea was that the Eagles thought the Ravens would take Hurts to fit as a good backup to Jackson... doing the same stuff?   Who knows?  IDK.  WE don't know a lot of what goes on behind the scenes.  

Am I happy about the pick... no     Was I surprised ... yes.      If I have to look for a reason... the #1 reason is $$$.  i do not think any of the other issues make him worth 53.  They make for good discussion... but not legit enough of a reason for me.      

I’d say the Pats were the obvious consideration that wanted Hurts. So there wasn’t room to move back. Don’t think there was a third round QB. Colts took Eason in the fourth if I remember right.

Nice work on the cap Joemas, took some time, good to know - thanks

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’d say the Pats were the obvious consideration that wanted Hurts. So there wasn’t room to move back. Don’t think there was a third round QB. Colts took Eason in the fourth if I remember right.

Have to agree Ham, at least that's the word up here in pats land

Being capped out could be a reason to draft Hurts ....or it could also be a reason not to. Pretty much saying this is the team we have to win a title the next two seasons. Could we afford to take a backup QB at 53 and win a title? Or do we take our chances and bring in a stud starter at another position. Mims would have been my pick. Good now ....but with huge upside down the road. A starting S was my mock choice. So you have to use your crystal ball. Does Hurts help us win a Super Bowl the next two seasons? I’d say he could by filling in for a few games and picking up regular season wins to gain seeding. But I’d say Mims or a Chinn  would be much bigger additions in the Championship puzzle. Actually contributing more and consistently to a title. If the discussion isn’t about winning a title and it’s about rebuilding.,..then I have totally different ideas about everything.

Oh a day isn't complete without hearing you guys banter back and forth!

Archived