Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

So your point, it seems to me, is just that Dallas is dealing with things now….as we have already gone through those. Not that we didn’t. We just were steps ahead of them. As they went for it all last season….we were trying to scrap together a team.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

2019 who were all the big names we brought in to take things to the next level? 2020? 2021? So now finally we’re able to make modest additions…,that we could backload.

Who were the big names Dallas brought in ..... say since T.O.?   They traded for Cooper...anyone else?

Slay and Hargrave for 2020 I think we're pretty big names.   Jackson and Jackson for 2019 were pretty big names and spending. 

The point...the Eagles way,  they mess up moves...  Dallas way, they can't make moves.   Better to at least have the ability to mess up right?

I mean, maybe you like that Jerry hasn't messed up a free agent signing.    Sane way you like low expectations for Hurts.  Same way you don't get the rolling cap and using the ability to push money down the road. 

You prefer not to take a chance,keep expectations low.    Better not to try,  then fail I guess.     Poor outlook on life.

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So your point, it seems to me, is just that Dallas is dealing with things now….as we have already gone through those. Not that we didn’t. We just were steps ahead of them. As they went for it all last season….we were trying to scrap together a team.

You still don't get it do you...   Dallas has been dealing with this for years.   It was new to US last year.

Why is it a hard concept to get?

Dallas been drafting better than us. They draft Byron Jones who is tops on the market…,then get Diggs. We get more freedom by drafting JJAW.

2021 was the outlier for the Eagles... we are used to being able to spend on free agents EVERY YEAR.... Dallas hasn't even been able to do for years.

We noticed it last year because it was different for us.  That's why it stands out.   

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Dallas been drafting better than us. They draft Byron Jones who is tops on the market…,then get Diggs. We get more freedom by drafting JJAW.

Change of the subject... the "Ham move" when he is completely wrong on something.    The discussion was cap space...and why it's wrong to tag and wait to sign a QB.    Nothing to do with anything else. 

Congrats to your Dallas team for making a couple of draft picks...really has worked out well for them these last 25 years.

But of coarse you have more options when not paying a QB versus when paying a QB. Thought that part went without saying. 

If you are drafting very well….you don’t need to bring in outside talent as much. Cowboys have been drafting very well. We struggled.

I would say drafting well gives you the better chance. You then could hopefully sign and keep talent at a better rate

10 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But of coarse you have more options when not paying a QB versus when paying a QB. Thought that part went without saying. 

Dallas has had more options?

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Dallas waited to pay their 2 QBs...kept them cheap for that last year.  Messed them up for years though once they had to get paid.  

Idk what you are trying to get at....never pay a QB?    Idk who wins with that?  

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If you are drafting very well….you don’t need to bring in outside talent as much. Cowboys have been drafting very well. We struggled.

And which team has had better results over the long haul.  And which team has had the ability to use free agency?  

Not a hard concept.   Drafting is a different subject, has nothing to do with the conversation.   

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Malcolm Jenkins

? Jenkins was not a Cap casualty. He was 32 years old and let go because the Eagles did not want to pay him. They signed others instead of him.... That was after 2019, not last year...?

I think it is obvious that if Dallas figured out to pay Dak earlier it would have benefitted them. They weren’t sold on Dak earlier is the simple truth. I’d say they screwed themselves by trading for Amari. Could have signed Dak much more reasonably before Cooper blew up his stats. But I don’t think signing a guy to a mega contract you aren’t convinced on is the right choice either.

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I would say drafting well gives you the better chance. You then could hopefully sign and keep talent at a better rate

Yes...ONLY YOU would say that...  the change the subject method when being completely wrong about something... pure genius.

I say tomorrow is Friday....I'm " calling it"

Wait...here are other genius comments.  " it's better to draft well than to draft poorly "  " it's better to have a good coach than a bad one"  

Let's have a conversation about cars... and we can say..." it's easier to wash your car if you use water"   

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

And which team has had better results over the long haul.  And which team has had the ability to use free agency?  

Not a hard concept.   Drafting is a different subject, has nothing to do with the conversation.   

Drafting is exactly the subject. If you draft well then you just need to keep you’re own players and don’t need FA. Not nearly as much anyway. Our poor drafting has put us more in a position to need more outside help. 

Sidney Jones didn’t work out….so we traded for Slay. Byron Jones worked for them but his open market value skyrocketed…so they drafted Diggs. Isn’t that exactly the difference you are trying to champion on our side?

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think it is obvious that if Dallas figured out to pay Dak earlier it would have benefitted them. They weren’t sold on Dak earlier is the simple truth. I’d say they screwed themselves by trading for Amari. Could have signed Dak much more reasonably before Cooper blew up his stats. But I don’t think signing a guy to a mega contract you aren’t convinced on is the right choice either.

Ok... so he gets hurt and doesn't play in 2019... so you think they were more "sold" on him afterwards?

Again... if they signed him early and he turned out to be a complete disaster... they would be better off cap wise.

That's the point that the facts are supporting here.   Take a chance, if it fails you get out of it... sit and wait,  even if the QB succeeds it kills your cap longer. 

Drafting is exactly the subject. If you draft well then you just need to keep you’re own players and don’t need FA. Not nearly as much anyway. Our poor drafting has put us more in a position to need more outside help. 

Nope...we were talking about cap and signing the QB.   Nobody was talking draft until you changed the subject after being completely wrong on all your contract points. 

Ham, no one is saying Dallas drafted poorly. We are saying Dallas cannot manage the Cap. We are the opposite, or have been until recently. We had a decent draft last year and appear to have had a solid draft this year. Meanwhile Dallas has had to let multiple Players leave because they paid Dak, Elliott and Cooper way too much cash! They are in CAP he!! right now. The only think keeping them competitive has been their drafts. Meanwhile, we had to deal with a hefty Cap contract with Wentz. Now that is over and we are in good shape again. Plus it appears we had 2 good drafts in a row. Who is in better shape right now? Dallas?

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

. Our poor drafting has put us more in a position to need more outside help. 

Hurts was drafted.  The biggest decision of the immediate future of this franchise is how to handle his contract.    This is the discussion.   

Are you saying Hurts was a bad draft pick?      

We all know that paying Hurts after this year and having him work out is best case scenario. 

What I'm pointing out ( which is proven over recent years )    FROM A SALARY CAP PERSPECTIVE.... that it's better to pay him early and have him fail, then wait to pay him and have him succeed.

We can get out from under quickly if he fails.... waiting to pay him screws us longer even if he is perennial all pro. 

23 minutes ago, stine said:

Ham, no one is saying Dallas drafted poorly. We are saying Dallas cannot manage the Cap. We are the opposite, or have been until recently. We had a decent draft last year and appear to have had a solid draft this year. Meanwhile Dallas has had to let multiple Players leave because they paid Dak, Elliott and Cooper way too much cash! They are in CAP he!! right now. The only think keeping them competitive has been their drafts. Meanwhile, we had to deal with a hefty Cap contract with Wentz. Now that is over and we are in good shape again. Plus it appears we had 2 good drafts in a row. Who is in better shape right now? Dallas?

We've had bad contracts with Vick, Bradford, Daniel and Wentz...  and we have been able to spend every year except for 2021.   We lost Jenkins . 

Dallas really has never paid a bad QB ... yet simply by waiting to pay their 2 good ones this century, they have screwed up their cap. 

Guys like Elliot and Cooper are irrelevant.    We've paid non QBs too much also.   The QB is the position that is the game changer for years. 

You wait to pay the QB and it kills you.  We don't pay Hurts after this year, then it will screw us big time if we do it later.  You can bet Howie and Lurie know this. 

There is no debate here... it is what it is.  Hurts stays next year without a deal, it's simply because they are waiting to replace him. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think Dallas has been better at the top of the draft then us wouldn’t say better though.

Past 3 drafts 

2018- Vander and Gallup Eagles- Geodart, Maddox, Sweat, Mailata(even if we only say Maialta and Geodart still two for two)

2019- They had Pollard that’s about it backup RB Eagles- Sanders can say Pollard was better bang for his buck though. 

2020- Lamb and Diggs nothing after those two. Eagles- Hurts, Watkins, Driscoll. 

Archived