Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I mean... it's 3 years running without a win vs a 9 win or better team that had their starting QB play.     It's Hurts,Wentz, Doug and Siri for that time ... but the more games we get in that situation, I expect more wins.  

Why is that a difficult concept to understand?   I think 11 wins is low for the 2022 circumstances. 

You thought we were a terrible team just months ago. Now 11 wins is low?

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

PFF isn't a cap site.   Sportrac or OTC are the ones to look at... and we are nowhere near last going forward in these next 3 years. 

Dallas... that's the situation to avoid, brought on by tagging an waiting to pay Dak. 

Don't take my word for it....just look at free agency...unless you think Jerry doesn't like to spend money all of a sudden?

We didn’t go crazy in FA. Did absolutely nothing last year. Barely did anything the year before in FA either.

We’ve gone nine years without beating a team with five wins or more in a snowstorm on the third Sunday in November.

We re-signed who we needed to, will be moving on from others I've enjoyed - I want to have beers with Kelce at Sea Isle! We do have a few 1 yr contracts, some I'd like to see extended.

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We didn’t go crazy in FA. Did absolutely nothing last year. Barely did anything the year before in FA either.

I mean how many teams really go crazy in FA???? Bad ones like the Jags and could really question there spending.

Landing Reddick and Bradbury are two pretty big signings, last year we didn’t do anything, 2020 traded and sign Slay signed Hargrave 

we made some pretty big signings over the last 3 years we haven’t had much luck with the middle and lower tier signings though 

6 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

I mean how many teams really go crazy in FA???? Bad ones like the Jags and could really question there spending.

Landing Reddick and Bradbury are two pretty big signings, last year we didn’t do anything, 2020 traded and sign Slay signed Hargrave 

we made some pretty big signings over the last 3 years we haven’t had much luck with the middle and lower tier signings though 

I’m just saying….if you are going to dig the Cowboys because they can’t sign anybody…..kind of weak….because we were in the same boat last year.

So just admitting we aren’t on some high ground. But we didn’t hold out on making the decision about Dak.

We got Bradberry on a one year cheap after the fact deal. Worked out for us.

21 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m just saying….if you are going to dig the Cowboys because they can’t sign anybody…..kind of weak….because we were in the same boat last year.

Yes, due to Wentz screw up. But they are out after one year where as Dallas is stuck for a longer period of time. They had to release multiple players because of it also. All of that adds up. Who did we have to let go?

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You thought we were a terrible team just months ago. Now 11 wins is low?

I mean...the roster is much better and the schedule is much easier.    I believe players matter... and the player movement this offseason has been excellent for the Eagles...  Green Bay, Dallas, Tennessee, Arizona... 5 games ... those teams lost Adams, Cooper Brown and Hopkins.  Chicago also lost Robinson.    

We added pass rushers, cover guys and WRs.   In a passing league, those additions for us and subtractions for our opponents are huge.   Considering we were a top rushing team already, I'd say expectations for the regular season should be very high.    

Players matter....and so do your opponents.  Big time change for the Eagles since January in those areas. So wins should come

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not going to dig at anyone I’m just trying to get an understanding of what you consider crazy FA spending. 

Because outside of dream team we never really have been. Couple key signings then mid/low tier guys 

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And what did Dallas do in free agency... you know, after the way you want to handle paying the QB.  By tagging and waiting to pay Dak.   

You see...it's great to complain about your team in a vaccuum... but intelligent people look and compare to the other 32 teams. 

Reddick,Brown were big money additions...  plus the ability to add all those one year deals this year.  

Which team would you say is having a better offseason than the Eagles because their cap situation is better?    

Facts matter in life.

Wow.... one year....OMG....one year we didn't sign anyone.    How long has it been for Dallas since they signed anyone of significance?    I'll wait.

Plus....a big thing you miss... which good player did we have to let go because of the cap?     

An educated football fan can see how obvious this is.  

Even looking back at 2016 only big signing was Brandon Brooks. Bradham worked out for us but he wasn’t some big name signing came cheap.

2017 only real big name signing was Alshon. We landed some great guys but they weren’t crazy signings. Blount was on the cheap, Wis was cheap, Foles, Smith, Robinson etc. 

The big difference I’ve seen in our FA hasn’t been the spending but the lack of the mid/low tier guys working out for us. 

Signing the QB early vs tagging and waiting.... changes the whole thing for years.   One move F@$KS the whole thing up.    Much better to sign a failure of a player early, then cut bait... then it is to tag and wait to sign a good player like Dak or Cousins. 

One year of not investing heavily in free agency is a blip compared to multiple years and also being forced to let your own good player walk.   It's not close.

3 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Even looking back at 2016 only big signing was Brandon Brooks. Bradham worked out for us but he wasn’t some big name signing came cheap.

2017 only real big name signing was Alshon. We landed some great guys but they weren’t crazy signings. Blount was on the cheap, Wis was cheap, Foles, Smith, Robinson etc. 

The big difference I’ve seen in our FA hasn’t been the spending but the lack of the mid/low tier guys working out for us. 

McCloud and Long were paid nicely.  Then we also has the ability to make mistakes paying DTs like Jernigan and Jackson ... Hargrave and Slay were not cheap.     

Point is, we had the ability to sign those guys... Dallas didn't,  they draft guys, overhyped them, over Pau them... except for Romo and Dak, who they use for cheap, and then cripple their cap by waiting, tagging or whatever...because they want to seem smart for one year by getting a dirt cheap pro bowl QB...not understanding the advantages of paying them early and the amount of flexibility it gives you afterwards... and the QB doesn't even have to pan out. 

Sign the wrong QB early....it messes your cap for a year.... wait to sign the right QB, and it messes your cap up for multiple years.  

It's just fact if you look at what's happening in the league. 

1 hour ago, stine said:

Yes, due to Wentz screw up. But they are out after one year where as Dallas is stuck for a longer period of time. They had to release multiple players because of it also. All of that adds up. Who did we have to let go?

Malcolm Jenkins

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

McCloud and Long were paid nicely. 

Chris of in 2017 actually came cheap to us. Over the two years he played for us we paid him little over 5m 

Guy that played in all 32 games over two years and gave us 11.5 sacks as a rotational piece 5m for two years seems like a steal. 

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We’ve gone nine years without beating a team with five wins or more in a snowstorm on the third Sunday in November.

Or just since October 2019 beating a 9 win  or better team that played their starting QB. 

It's not a hard concept no matter how awful your attempt at comedy was.  

This year we have a roster that should be able to beat the few 9 win teams we have on the schedule.  

1 hour ago, stine said:

Correct... not really a hard concept to get. 

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Malcolm Jenkins

He was released because they didn't want to pay him.   The Eagles choice.

2019 who were all the big names we brought in to take things to the next level? 2020? 2021? So now finally we’re able to make modest additions…,that we could backload.

7 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Chris of in 2017 actually came cheap to us. Over the two years he played for us we paid him little over 5m 

Guy that played in all 32 games over two years and gave us 11.5 sacks as a rotational piece 5m for two years seems like a steal. 

How many free agents at that level has Dallas signed?    5 mil to me is a decent free agent move.  It's not the 8 figure move, buy It's halfway there and the same as signing 10 Minshews.  

Your point is taken, Long wasn't a splash...my point, all the dead money in 2017, we were still able to sign him for 2 years... ie. The Eagles were able to make moves.   Dallas... not so much.

Reason....we sign QBs early... they wait. 

We messed up paying Bradford,  Daniel and Wentz without getting the play on the field... Dallas had an UDFA in Romo and a 4th round pick in Dak... two outstanding acquisitions that were cheap.... simply by waiting and messing up both deals, they haven't been players in free agency in forever,and also had to lose players.

We let Jenkins go and didn't sign a significant free agent for one year.   It's not close as to which method has had better cap results. 

Now if the Eagles find a QB that sticks and pay him their way... then it's perfect.

Archived