Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

40 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

There is no debate here... it is what it is.  Hurts stays next year without a deal, it's simply because they are waiting to replace him. 

Why is this still even a debate lol Eagles FO has shown they generally like to resign guys early over waiting

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell can look at last offseason resigned Geodart, Mailata, Sweat, Maddox to new deals vs letting them play out there final seasons. 

36 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Why is this still even a debate lol Eagles FO has shown they generally like to resign guys early over waiting

Agreed...no debate at all.

33 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Hell can look at last offseason resigned Geodart, Mailata, Sweat, Maddox to new deals vs letting them play out there final seasons. 

It's not even those guys or the Eagles...although I agree 100% with you here.  

It's league wide with QBs.  Waiting makes you end up overpaying..  but also in a way that you can wiggle around the cap hit.   Dak and Cousins have been cap disasters after being tagged.  It just doesn't work with QBs.  Other positions might cost you a few million and sting a little on the cap...QB mistake of waiting cripples you, for years.

Just now, joemas6 said:

It's league wide with QBs.  Waiting makes you end up overpaying..  but also in a way that you can wiggle around the cap hit.   Dak and Cousins have been cap disasters after being tagged.  It just doesn't work with QBs.  Other positions might cost you a few million and sting a little on the cap...QB mistake of waiting cripples you, for years.

Can't wiggle around the cap is what I meant

40 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Can't wiggle around the cap is what I meant

I also think RB can hurt you, but other than that I agree.

3 hours ago, stine said:

Ham, no one is saying Dallas drafted poorly. We are saying Dallas cannot manage the Cap. We are the opposite, or have been until recently. We had a decent draft last year and appear to have had a solid draft this year. Meanwhile Dallas has had to let multiple Players leave because they paid Dak, Elliott and Cooper way too much cash! They are in CAP he!! right now. The only think keeping them competitive has been their drafts. Meanwhile, we had to deal with a hefty Cap contract with Wentz. Now that is over and we are in good shape again. Plus it appears we had 2 good drafts in a row. Who is in better shape right now? Dallas?

We got ranked 31 in cap for the next three years

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Hurts was drafted.  The biggest decision of the immediate future of this franchise is how to handle his contract.    This is the discussion.   

Are you saying Hurts was a bad draft pick?      

We all know that paying Hurts after this year and having him work out is best case scenario. 

What I'm pointing out ( which is proven over recent years )    FROM A SALARY CAP PERSPECTIVE.... that it's better to pay him early and have him fail, then wait to pay him and have him succeed.

We can get out from under quickly if he fails.... waiting to pay him screws us longer even if he is perennial all pro. 

Is this the case now? Deshaun Watson’s contract says to me much different  things.

Seems to me your point is a team paying 1 mil for their starting QB has more cap room than a team paying 40 mil

3 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

All contracts that fell well short of the tops at their position.

2 hours ago, stine said:

I also think RB can hurt you, but other than that I agree.

But what is the RB going to hurt you?  A few million.  The QB can cripple you.  For years.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We got ranked 31 in cap for the next three years

Except it isn't a cap site.  So it's like having me rank classical music... doesn't really mean much.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Except it isn't a cap site.  So it's like having me rank classical music... doesn't really mean much.

It’s like you giving your opinion about a player ahead of time instead of just plain hindsight.

Is this the case now? Deshaun Watson’s contract says to me much different  things.

Does it?  Because you see Hurts similar to Watson...and the Eagles front office similar to Cleveland?   You honestly see that as an issue here?   

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s like you giving your opinion about a player ahead of time instead of just plain hindsight.

It's like you talking about cap.. absolutely clueless.    

FYI....overthecap.com..  a website that ONLY does cap stuff.    

Cap space per season as ranked at the moment with ALL money that is being pushed forward taken into the equation...

Eagles rank 15th in 2022... 18th in 2023.. and 28th in 2024.   

What it doesn't factor at the moment... and cap space that rolls forward.  It also factors in that we pay out all the salaries in full.  Which we know won't happen.  

42.5 mil is what the current cap space is supposed to be for the Eagles in 2024.  Which we know will go up with leftover cap space,  releasing older players etc.  But will go down as we sign new contracts.  

Not sure who is up for a new deal in 2024?  Hurts, Watkins, Driscoll... don't think many others that are on rookie deals will be resigned.   Still in very very good shape.  Especially considering all the money that is already kicked down the road, other teams will have to do that going forward.  It seems we are done in that department for a couple years until AJ Brown.

52 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Does it?  Because you see Hurts similar to Watson...and the Eagles front office similar to Cleveland?   You honestly see that as an issue here?   

It's like you talking about cap.. absolutely clueless.    

How could you not think Watson’s contract has a huge effect on the market? That’s why every other owner was livid that they did that.

Hopkins is hoping to get his suspension shortened. Obviously something for us to keep an eye.

Wouldn’t that be time to resign Smitty? Dickerson? Milton?

Over50 percent of our cap in 2024 is used up with fielding AJ, Mailata, Reddick, Goedert, Lane, Sweat and Maddox. Think that’s part of the evaluation.

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Over50 percent of our cap in 2024 is used up with fielding AJ, Mailata, Reddick, Goedert, Lane, Sweat and Maddox. Think that’s part of the evaluation.

PFF is not a cap website,  it's like asking your plumber about your taxes. 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wouldn’t that be time to resign Smitty? Dickerson? Milton?

2024 would be year 4 of their rookie deals... you would assume that they get " extended" to where the cap hit is still low in 2024... similar to the contracts the Eagles have done before ..what you will see is the prorated amount of the signing bonus added to 2024.  Nothing big via cap hits 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

How could you not think Watson’s contract has a huge effect on the market? That’s why every other owner was livid that they did that.

It will have an effect on the market... I don't expect Hurts to be the highest paid player in the league...when the Eagles have leverage of letting him play for less than 2 mil if he becomes a pain in the @ss.   So I don't expect the idiot contract given out by Cleveland to effect anything as far as Hurts. 

But it would be awesome if Hurts plays at the level to where he could be considered to get paid that much.... you can be sure that the offense will light it up and we would win more than 11 games and just a possible home playoff win.   

How many of these guys do you expect to play for the money that is showing?

Archived