Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

30 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Someday one of your theories and reality might collide... we shall see.  

Yeah... look around the NFL...tell me which team made as many player moves.   You have 32 teams...  let's say if the Eagles are in the top 25%, then I would consider them one of the teams who were able to make moves.... and not restricted because of cap.      Can you find me 8 teams that have made more significant player moves?    And liking the moves better isn't the idea, that's a different conversation ( player selection vs cap management)

This is where your whole thought process has been Rosie high jacked. Because we can sign guys and backload. Is this really the way to creating a Dynasty? 

7 minutes ago, stine said:

Yes, but next year we have only 25 mil dead money. So you are halfway there to clearing the CAP!

We are already capped out next season

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m dealing with reality. Glad you brought this up. I’m pissed that over 50 million….let me repeat this so it’s very clear….50 million of dead money absorbed this season because of the heavy backload….is the reason we can’t sign the All Pro S. We wouldn’t have to backload anything otherwise.

I agree that 50 mil is too much. It should never be much more than 20 mil. However, Wentz screwed up allot for the Eagles. That was one mistake that will take 2-3 years to clean up. This is year 2 since that trade. The Eagles normally do not go much beyond 20-25 mil in dead cap. That is a fairly common number in the NFL. Yes there are teams that are below 10 but it is fairly easy to manage a team with up to 25 mil in dead cap....

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Over a decade ago now I’ve been talking about the hybrid rolls. That we could be concentrating on S types. Play FS, SS, Slot, LBing rolls…..just one of many evolutions I’ve foreseen.

It is getting deep in here guys.... The Wizard has foreseen the Eagles undoing in 2012! of course, he forgot they won a SB somewhere in the middle......

5 minutes ago, stine said:

I agree that 50 mil is too much. It should never be much more than 20 mil. However, Wentz screwed up allot for the Eagles. That was one mistake that will take 2-3 years to clean up. This is year 2 since that trade. The Eagles normally do not go much beyond 20-25 mil in dead cap. That is a fairly common number in the NFL. Yes there are teams that are below 10 but it is fairly easy to manage a team with up to 25 mil in dead cap....

Even under your optimistic view the difference in 25 mil and 10 mil is plenty to sign that All Pro S without backloading.

4 minutes ago, stine said:

It is getting deep in here guys.... The Wizard has foreseen the Eagles undoing in 2012! of course, he forgot they won a SB somewhere in the middle......

Have you not seen the evolution? The traditional LB role has completely evolved. Gotta be able to cover in today’s NFL.

How big are these LBs now?

Trotter was like 260 pounds

Dime package ballooned. Heavy Nickle became a thing.

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Even under your optimistic view the difference in 25 mil and 10 mil is plenty to sign that All Pro S without backloading.

Look, the Eagles were fine on Dead Cap until they traded Wentz in 2021. That screw up was acknowledged by everyone. Before that trade, the highest dead cap was 2021 and 23.6 Mil. Prior to that 2019 was13.2 mil. So the real issue was Wentz. He created the problem we have with the Cap and will continue to do so for another year. After that we will be back to normal. You keep complaining about how bad we handled contracts over the years, when we were under 10 mil in dead cap from 2016-2018..... This has not been an issue in the past. Just started with the Wentz fiasco.

Over 50 mil this year in dead money. 49 last year in dead money. But remember we signed Fletcher Cox for 14 million. Only 4 million going on the cap this season. Spread 10 mil of Brooksmoney to 2023 also.

"Coming out of (2017 and 2018), trying to be aggressive, we knew at some point we were going to have to take a step back, we were going to pay it, but I would do that 100 times out of 100 times,” Roseman said.

Instead he doubled down on 2019….then astoundingly tried to do it for 2020 as well.

Flip forward. 2025 we owe 124 million. That’s only including having like ten players actually on the team.

13 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Flip forward. 2025 we owe 124 million. That’s only including having like ten players actually on the team.

23 players!  Stop exaggerating. Plus the Cap will probably be around 300 mil or more. So half the amount allotted for half the total cap.... WOW what a problem!

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

"Coming out of (2017 and 2018), trying to be aggressive, we knew at some point we were going to have to take a step back, we were going to pay it, but I would do that 100 times out of 100 times,” Roseman said.

Instead he doubled down on 2019….then astoundingly tried to do it for 2020 as well.

What are you talking about? 20 mil is not a huge amount of dead cap. Half the teams in the NFL have more than that amount. It was when we had to Dump Wentz the trouble started.

Making bad decisions on players is completely different story. HR made a huge amount of mistakes on the roster in 2019 & 2020. But it had nothing to do with the Dead money.......

1 hour ago, stine said:

23 players!  Stop exaggerating. Plus the Cap will probably be around 300 mil or more. So half the amount allotted for half the total cap.... WOW what a problem!

Count those players again. You are soooo wrong. Because their fake part of their contract is still running that doesn’t put them on the roster in 2025. Hargrave, Slay, Kelce and Cox….really….did you even really look? All these one year contract guys we’ve spread out until then. Bradbury is on the list of 23 players we are rostering in 2025? Don’t call me exaggerating….check your facts again there bub.

1 hour ago, stine said:

What are you talking about? 20 mil is not a huge amount of dead cap. Half the teams in the NFL have more than that amount. It was when we had to Dump Wentz the trouble started.

Making bad decisions on players is completely different story. HR made a huge amount of mistakes on the roster in 2019 & 2020. But it had nothing to do with the Dead money.......

He stated after 2017 and 18 he knew we’d have to pay it back. But instead he doubled down and signed Jackson and Jackson …and so on.

1 hour ago, stine said:

Yes it is a MAJOR problem

1 hour ago, stine said:

It’s not just dead money. That part is disgusting. But all the backloading.

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes it is a MAJOR problem

You need to know what is voidable if the player retires. I believe Kelce's numbers disappear. You need to know the details of the contracts.

Kelce has no money for the 2025 cap if he retires after this season or 2023.

Grahams contract is also voidable so no cap hit for 2025 if he retires before 2024

Cox's contract is also Voidable, so no Cap hit for 2025. Ham you need to look at the contracts!

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Kelce has no money for the 2025 cap if he retires after this season or 2023.

If he retires we eat 18 million. Of coarse we’ll ask him to wait until after June 1 technically so we can spread it out. If he doesn’t retire….we’d have to rework his deal again….to actually pay him for next season…because the five year contract is all bogus to spread the signing bonus out. So on some of that you are correct. But I’m just pointing out how much he’s backloading this crap. That’s why they rated us being in the second worst cap position over the next few years.

Just now, stine said:

Cox's contract is also Voidable, so no Cap hit for 2025. Ham you need to look at the contracts!

You’re the one that argued Cox was on the roster for 2025.

All these one year contracts are BS. Not players actually going to be here in 2025. Just stretching out their cap hits. So we don’t pay it this year on the cap. Really to minimize next year also…because we are fairly capped out there too. But if we stretch to after June 1 next year….we can split up the cap hits. Play in 2022. Pay on cap in 2023 and 2024.

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If he retires we eat 18 million. Of coarse we’ll ask him to wait until after June 1 technically so we can spread it out. If he doesn’t retire….we’d have to rework his deal again….to actually pay him for next season…because the five year contract is all bogus to spread the signing bonus out. So on some of that you are correct. But I’m just pointing out how much he’s backloading this crap. That’s why they rated us being in the second worst cap position over the next few years.

You’re the one that argued Cox was on the roster for 2025.

Wrong,  If he retires we eat 9 mil in 2023 and nothing after. You are the one who said the cap was 123 Mil and it is much less....

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

All these one year contracts are BS. Not players actually going to be here in 2025. Just stretching out their cap hits. So we don’t pay it this year on the cap. Really to minimize next year also…because we are fairly capped out there too. But if we stretch to after June 1 next year….we can split up the cap hits. Play in 2022. Pay on cap in 2023 and 2024.

There are no Cap hits for those players in 2025!  HR voids the Contract and the Cap hit goes away. I thought you understood the Cap?

If Kelce retires after this season, the Eagles would be left with a substantial amount of dead money (around $18 million) going forward. But the Eagles would probably ask Kelce to hold off filing his paperwork until after June 1 to spread out that dead money over two seasons.

Archived