Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

We won't know how he plays at C ....or at least we hope so...until at least next year. Maybe longer.  

How he plays at G is irrelevant though to that conversation.   The RG spot is a question.   We just don't know yet if we have the guy who will play there in 2024 at a quality starting NFL level. 

Lane we know is fairly decent at RT.

I made the case Opeta and Driscoll already proven they can handle the job. But my thinking is with Steen. He was handpicked to be our RG in most every way I’m seeing the decision to draft him. A college T they instantly labeled G.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as you all know I was all in on a top ROT. But we only had a few picks this year. Howie had to choose and he did a great job, so I suspect next draft with more picks we can get the O line we need and some BU's there also. We have alot of picks so we can use those to move some picks up higher

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

What if Jurgens just kicks butt and takes control of the RG spot

A possibility for sure.   Or he flops and Steen flops.   Anything can happen with young guys who haven't played yet. 

So your idea is absolutely possible.   

18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I just don’t see the stubborn locked in mindset on Gainwell. He’s third string at best currently. He’s been given every opportunity to succeed. At a position guys transition and peak the earliest at. I prefer the guy nobody preferred…or coveted…gave a chance…Scott fought to earn his place. I’ve actually thought plenty about with Sanders injured in the SB how we screwed up going Gainwell instead of Scott. I honestly believe Scott would have been our best option and done better. Done something at least. Sanders wasn’t healthy enough. Bad call there. He was the only difference making playmaker in that room…so giving him a shot I can’t annihilate coaches over. But results are bad call. Trying to give him a go is one thing…they actually stuck with him way too long. Gainwell didn’t do squat behind the best Oline against a mid level run defense. No way to ever know….but Scott should have been the guy snap one. Can’t ever prove he would have thrived. But the bar is so low of what Sanders and Gainwell accomplished he wouldn’t have been worse.

I don't want an overpaid RB,because doing that cause you to have to make him a focal point piece(or why did you spend the money). Swift is a terrific out of the backfield catcher and Penny is a banger if he can stay upright. Sanders did both,but not really a 3 down RB,so if you're not going to use a 3 down RB why not get guys that excel on 1 down or another down? Penny, Gains,Swift on downs 1,2,3 or toss Scott in if he has the hot hand that game

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I made the case Opeta and Driscoll already proven they can handle the job. But my thinking is with Steen. He was handpicked to be our RG in most every way I’m seeing the decision to draft him. A college T they instantly labeled G.

Our idea is that we are open to possibilities correct?  

So.   Very possible Opeta and Driscoll do not resign with the Eagles.  Very possible right?   

Very possible that Steen could end up having value similar to Driscoll.   Not great anywhere... but ok for a few games at a few spots.   It's possible right?

It's possible a Martin or Dickerson level player falls to the Eagles...   it's possible right?

We have seen the Eagles front office work... so it's possible they draft OL ....it's possible right?

Everything is possible.   

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

A possibility for sure.   Or he flops and Steen flops.   Anything can happen with young guys who haven't played yet. 

So your idea is absolutely possible.   

Right,that's why until you find "the guy" it's not really overkill,it's competition lol

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well as you all know I was all in on a top ROT. But we only had a few picks this year. Howie had to choose and he did a great job, so I suspect next draft with more picks we can get the O line we need and some BU's there also. We have alot of picks so we can use those to move some picks up higher

You were in on a top RT with the belief Lane won't play until 2026.   4 more seasons.   My guess is that if you think Lane plays say just 3 more Yeats instead of 4... you probably wouldn't have been so focused on drafting RT?

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right,that's why until you find "the guy" it's not really overkill,it's competition lol

100%

32 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Am I the only one that believes coaches blew it and we would have won with Boston Scott that day?

Who knows,I find that hard to believe. Too many other errors. I mean we win if the QB doesn't hand a free 6 to KC. We win if the field wasn't trash,then again thats not an exuse either because we led at the 1/2. Our punting was awful. In the SB you have to hit on all cylinders and we did not. Add in some BAD ref calls and.....

I like the RBBC because teams have to plan for 4 RB's not just one. We shut down Cook. When you have only 1 RB and you figure out how to stop them,that team is now 1 dimensional and there is NO "adjustment" you can make in your running game. If a team stops Penny,we have alternative plays we can use

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You were in on a top RT with the belief Lane won't play until 2026.   4 more seasons.   My guess is that if you think Lane plays say just 3 more Yeats instead of 4... you probably wouldn't have been so focused on drafting RT?

TBH (and I'm still not sure) that he will play out that 3 years,which Is why I wanted to get a top guy in,to be mentored for at least a year. Although it's not as pressing,I would still like to find "the guy" who can step into that important role and IDK that that guy is on the roster right now

Kelce "loved" Dickerson,then he "loved" Jurgens. Dickerson is a starting LG and maybe Jurgens will be the RG and we look for another C? Just another possibility 

Interesting to see if we put Sermon in a little more. They said "you will see him more",but that could be smoke and mirrors. he has more "beef" than Scott

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I like the RBBC because teams have to plan for 4 RB's not just one. We shut down Cook. When you have only 1 RB and you figure out how to stop them,that team is now 1 dimensional and there is NO "adjustment" you can make in your running game. If a team stops Penny,we have alternative plays we can use

I like because it's a workhorse position that gets injured.   Also the fact it's a passing league.    Also the fact that the team running game is more important to team success than the one guy having big stats.

Also because the OL is the more important factor in running the ball.

Also because cap wise it's smarter to use money elsewhere. 

Also because a 7th rounder like the Chiefs guy can get 75 yards and he seems like an all pro.

Also because recent history of the last 25 years shows the one top RB really hasn't impacted on winning SBs compared to committee approach.

I'm sure I missed a few things.   But hopefully the point was made.   

We have 3 T's named Johnson,so if one steps up we don't need to spend the 12.00 for a new jersey 🤣

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

TBH (and I'm still not sure) that he will play out that 3 years,which Is why I wanted to get a top guy in,to be mentored for at least a year. Although it's not as pressing,I would still like to find "the guy" who can step into that important role and IDK that that guy is on the roster right now

Right...but you wouldn't want that guy to sit 3 or 4 years.     You are just having difficulty processing the idea of Lane playing 3 or 4 more years.... like he said is the plan.

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Only can possibly be considered at RG though

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Kelce "loved" Dickerson,then he "loved" Jurgens. Dickerson is a starting LG and maybe Jurgens will be the RG and we look for another C? Just another possibility 

Absolutely possible...with Steen being the versatile backup.   Or Jurgens isn't the RG....all possible. 

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right...but you wouldn't want that guy to sit 3 or 4 years.     You are just having difficulty processing the idea of Lane playing 3 or 4 more years.... like he said is the plan.

I still have in the back of my head that he nearly quit over "mental issues"

24 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Could consider competition added…somewhere else…just maybe. With Stout and the Oline around RG…I say it’s an easier position to find a serviceable at least RG. Don’t see CB job nearly the same. Two older starting CBs. A position guys are known to get injured. Much higher priority for me.

Only can possibly be considered at RG though

I'm trying to see where GB said that?  Or where anyone would think that's what he is saying?   

I'll look it over for...." the Only possible thing is drafting RG round 1 next year"  

I don't think anyone said that, but I could be mistaken. 

Btw I like Tin Roof sundae... Coffee...vanilla.     but just incase anyone takes that as me saying " these are the only flavors of ice cream I like"  or that I'll never buy any other flavors..   I just want to clarify that isn’t what I'm saying.  

27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Our idea is that we are open to possibilities correct?  

So.   Very possible Opeta and Driscoll do not resign with the Eagles.  Very possible right?   

Very possible that Steen could end up having value similar to Driscoll.   Not great anywhere... but ok for a few games at a few spots.   It's possible right?

It's possible a Martin or Dickerson level player falls to the Eagles...   it's possible right?

We have seen the Eagles front office work... so it's possible they draft OL ....it's possible right?

Everything is possible.   

Made the exact point of obsessively drafting Oline is more than possible

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I still have in the back of my head that he nearly quit over "mental issues"

Right... i can see that.   For me it's whether he plays 2026.  They just extended him... I'm sure there were conversations there ... you follow my logic? 

30 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I don't want an overpaid RB,because doing that cause you to have to make him a focal point piece(or why did you spend the money). Swift is a terrific out of the backfield catcher and Penny is a banger if he can stay upright. Sanders did both,but not really a 3 down RB,so if you're not going to use a 3 down RB why not get guys that excel on 1 down or another down? Penny, Gains,Swift on downs 1,2,3 or toss Scott in if he has the hot hand that game

So you are absolutely against upgrading the position in anyway possible?

Could consider competition added…somewhere else…just maybe. With Stout and the Oline around RG…I say it’s an easier position to find a serviceable at least RG. Don’t see CB job nearly the same. Two older starting CBs. A position guys are known to get injured. Much higher priority for me.

Well like I said,we had limited picks this draft. next draft we can shore up a bit better. We did get Occheous in to light the fire under Quez

Archived