Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Of coarse I don’t want to pass up any good players. But that occurring is much more likely when you block out these other positions. Dillard, Jurgens and Steen haven’t made us better. Paying top money to great players we already have also. If we take those three high picks and use them elsewhere and just rolled with Opeta we’d have been better. Dropoff from Seumalo to Opeta just isn’t that great. Opeta has proven he wouldn’t be a liability. He’s also not a dominant difference maker. 

Right... you just gave Examples of guys who haven't made us better..... so you prove my point with Jurgens and Steen.   We don't know that they are good enough yet.   Unknowns.  To assume they are and to just dismiss the possibility of getting someone else isn't smart.

It's very possible.   You don't see how arrogant you come off in stating it isn't?

Maybe in your mind you think you are saying more that it isn't a definite that we draft a RG round 1.    That's a different argument than saying it's not possible. 

I'm saying at this point it's all possible.   I'm also saying we have a fun season ahead....let's enjoy.   Stop playing 2024 GM... let's be 2023 fans.    We don't make decisions for the team.  No need to obsess about it.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means your second rounder Jurgens doesn’t pan out. Your third round Steen doesn’t pan out. Unbelievably high picks at those positions. Driscoll does. But you can’t afford to retain him at 5 mil …you must invest another high pick for a third straight season as the only option? Sounds terrible as a plan. C and G barely get drafted say one. Day two is a large investment there. You flop two straight drafts so high picks…so you need to do it a third year to solve things? Sounds terrible. 

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

How does Driscoll earn that…without you being able to want to keep him?

Wanting to keep him...and willing to pay that to a backup is different.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right... you just gave Examples of guys who haven't made us better..... so you prove my point with Jurgens and Steen.   We don't know that they are good enough yet.   Unknowns.  To assume they are and to just dismiss the possibility of getting someone else isn't smart.

It's very possible.   You don't see how arrogant you come off in stating it isn't?

Maybe in your mind you think you are saying more that it isn't a definite that we draft a RG round 1.    That's a different argument than saying it's not possible. 

I'm saying at this point it's all possible.   I'm also saying we have a fun season ahead....let's enjoy.   Stop playing 2024 GM... let's be 2023 fans.    We don't make decisions for the team.  No need to obsess about it.

I’m not meaning to have all the answers and come off arrogant at all. Just asking everybody to consider any other possibilities. Also pointing to adapting and evolving. That maybe all football philosophies from the eighties aren’t as applicable to the modern game. Really football from 2000 isn’t todays game. 

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It means your second rounder Jurgens doesn’t pan out. Your third round Steen doesn’t pan out. Unbelievably high picks at those positions. Driscoll does. But you can’t afford to retain him at 5 mil …you must invest another high pick for a third straight season as the only option? Sounds terrible as a plan. C and G barely get drafted say one. Day two is a large investment there. You flop two straight drafts so high picks…so you need to do it a third year to solve things? Sounds terrible. 

Yes.... it means draft picks don't pan out.... imagine that new occurrence????    Shocking isn't it?   

I mean... you have been an Eagles fan right?  You understand the possibility that 2nd and 3rd round draft picks don't work out?

Wanting to keep him...and willing to pay that to a backup is different.  

Who is he backing up?

If he’s still are backup…then we have our starter. Why are we talking spending first round draft pick there then?

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not meaning to have all the answers and come off arrogant at all. Just asking everybody to consider any other possibilities. Also pointing to adapting and evolving. That maybe all football philosophies from the eighties aren’t as applicable to the modern game. Really football from 2000 isn’t todays game. 

Right...everyone is considering all the possibilities.   You completely dismissed one....that's exactly how it came off.   Maybe express yourself differently and we don't go down these long conversations if in reality you agree with us....but try in your own mind to be some sort of Skip Bayless argue with everyone type.

If he’s still are backup…then we have our starter. Why are we talking spending first round draft pick there then?

But that's the choice right?   Do you spend on a draft pick... do you spend on a backup?

Are the starters good enough?   Do you want to upgrade?   How do upgrade?  Draft of free agency?

A lot of unknowns....that's why all is possible and we enjoy the 2023 season. 

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Yes.... it means draft picks don't pan out.... imagine that new occurrence????    Shocking isn't it?   

I mean... you have been an Eagles fan right?  You understand the possibility that 2nd and 3rd round draft picks don't work out?

Absolutely  fact. But are you trying to argue that C and G are league wide such top commodities teams trade up to take them high on day one? Second round C pick is really high. Third round G pick is really high. As much as you give no value to RB…top guys don’t go until day two at RB. Day two big investment at RB. RB is lower than plenty or most positions in value….but they are still higher than C and G. 

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Absolutely  fact. But are you trying to argue that C and G are league wide such top commodities teams trade up to take them high on day one? Second round C pick is really high. Third round G pick is really high. As much as you give no value to RB…top guys don’t go until day two at RB. Day two big investment at RB. RB is lower than plenty or most positions in value….but they are still higher than C and G. 

I'm trying to say I'm not passing up on Dickerson because of Jurgens, Steen, Opeta and Driscoll.  

I'm saying to enjoy 2023...let it all play out.  And everything is possible. 

Is it a hard concept to understand?

Teams will overpay for a T. But if that same level player is deemed not a T but a G…it’s basically Steen. Slides from first round to third.

But that's the choice right?   Do you spend on a draft pick... do you spend on a backup?

Are the starters good enough?   Do you want to upgrade?   How do upgrade?  Draft of free agency?

A lot of unknowns....that's why all is possible and we enjoy the 2023 season. 

Not the choice I was discussing. If Driscoll is a backup…let him walk. Means we have a starter. So if we have a starter…why are we needing a first rounder at that spot? Think you went off track here.

The Eagles have done well on the lines.   Yet have missed on a bunch of investments there as well.   Which means the 2 unknowns of Jurgens and Steen... one or both could be misses. Maybe they are NFL quality backups?   Who knows.

What I know is that if you take out Kelce, Graham and Cox... the 2024 lines don't look as good. Or deep.

The work isn't done yet.   But I also know that we have a year to see the young guys play and develop.   That's part of the work.   

I know the Eagles will invest in their lines.   That's what they do.   $$$ and picks.

You pay Driscoll to retain if he takes over as a starter. Cheap option…even your ballooned drastic fortune he rises to of five mil. Means your high picks busted. Other options than endless drafting of Oline. Just a whole team and roster needed. 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not the choice I was discussing. If Driscoll is a backup…let him walk. Means we have a starter. So if we have a starter…why are we needing a first rounder at that spot? Think you went off track here.

It means we have players better than Driscoll... doesn't mean we have guys that we don't want to improve upon.  

Different story. 

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'm trying to say I'm not passing up on Dickerson because of Jurgens, Steen, Opeta and Driscoll.  

I'm saying to enjoy 2023...let it all play out.  And everything is possible. 

Is it a hard concept to understand?

I’m fine with agreeing on not passing up and quality players. But is pretty much my point really. But the concept that seemingly is hard for you to grasp is passing up any other position player being quality. Is that hard to understand?  You have this formula for success…but where does that work out to picking an Oline Driscoll over such an undervalued position getting Fred Warner?

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

It means we have players better than Driscoll... doesn't mean we have guys that we don't want to improve upon.  

Different story. 

Why does this only occur along the Oline?

You pay Driscoll to retain if he takes over as a starter. Cheap option…even your ballooned drastic fortune he rises to of five mil. Means your high picks busted. Other options than endless drafting of Oline. Just a whole team and roster needed. 

Again... you seem to miss the point.  

1.  Different teams will pay more

2.  A player can start on one team, but not on another

3.  Having a player that is a starter,  doesn't mean you don't want to upgrade.... or pass on a player in the draft like a Dickerson... that could fall in your lap.

Why does this only occur along the Oline?

It doesn't.   But again.  That's not how you are coming off.  You need to express yourself better.  We can't read your mind.

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The Eagles have done well on the lines.   Yet have missed on a bunch of investments there as well.   Which means the 2 unknowns of Jurgens and Steen... one or both could be misses. Maybe they are NFL quality backups?   Who knows.

What I know is that if you take out Kelce, Graham and Cox... the 2024 lines don't look as good. Or deep.

The work isn't done yet.   But I also know that we have a year to see the young guys play and develop.   That's part of the work.   

I know the Eagles will invest in their lines.   That's what they do.   $$$ and picks.

Exactly what our team does. Why I bringing up for you to consider any other path. That if we ride with Opeta and Mailata and didnt draft Dillard, Jurgens and Steen…is it possible we’d actually field a better team?

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Again... you seem to miss the point.  

1.  Different teams will pay more

2.  A player can start on one team, but not on another

3.  Having a player that is a starter,  doesn't mean you don't want to upgrade.... or pass on a player in the draft like a Dickerson... that could fall in your lap.

I actually started the point from what I see. You are trying to shift it. I kind of making the point you are here. Don’t pass on a Dickerson quality player. Huge difference here is I’m pointing out how we have passed on such quality players…because they weren’t Oline. Don’t pass up Fred Warner over obsession you can only win with Oline. Can you possibly consider that a player that was there falling in our lap was anything but Dickerson and Oline?

We won’t pass up the Oline guy falling to us. But we pass up so many other positions of top guys in this mindset. I’m even saying how the lowest valued positions you take the quality guy. LB and RB are probably lowest prioritized positions. But even with those…don’t just pass up a stud for whatever top Oline. Fred Warner impacts games as much as any nonQB in the league. Don’t just refuse to consider him out of this stubborn philosophy. 

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Exactly what our team does. Why I bringing up for you to consider any other path. That if we ride with Opeta and Mailata and didnt draft Dillard, Jurgens and Steen…is it possible we’d actually field a better team?

I am considering any path...I didn't see anyone not considering any path. 

What I saw was GB bringing up a path...and you completely shutting it off as a possibility.  

If that wasn't your intention.  Then you need to consider the words you use and how you use then.   

Archived