Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

40 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Where am I coming from our backup DT had 2 sacks Jackson backup DE Curry 3 sacks.

Our DL had what 41 sacks(we had what 49 as a team 8 came from players not on the DL)

Half those sacks came From 3 players two of which are above 30. 

So you start to see where I think the future looks pretty bad.  To me DL is a key position, if not THE key position group of a team.  Trying to go back and see where a mediocre or solid group won anything.... even with your Tampa team this year, to me the key was the injuries to the opposing pro bowl LTs... and the way their DL dominated the backups.  Without Graham and Cox ,,, the DL is piss poor.  A piss poor DL, leads to the rest of the defense looking really bad.    It's similar to say... how a coach and QB can really look bad with a bunch of guys in the offense that played their first NFL snap.  It can go down in a hurry.  Say 2022

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Chris Long on Carson Wentz.

"His leadership, our Super Bowl year, from the beginning, I never thought about or evaluated whether he was a leader or not. What I thought was ‘damn this kid’s pretty good.’ And he’s a good kid. If anything, he’s a little shy. You’d like to see him reach out more and kind of go over to that corner of the locker room. I read Albert Breer’s article, which I thought was the fairest synopsis yet, which read, in effect, that actually people think he’s a good guy, what he needs to do is reach out to every corner of the locker room better. The coachability and stubbornness, he ain’t the only player, but we expect something more out of a quarterback. Right? That’s the bottom line. He’s not the only quarterback who is stubborn. This has existed as this extreme conversation when, he’s got things to fix, but I don’t remember ever thinking, ‘what an a-hole.’"

I think this sums up the biggest difference between a Carson Wentz and a Jalen Hurts. Hurts from day 1 commanded the locker room. Even though he was a backup, a lot of people with the team (most notably Jason Avant who was an assistant coach last year) said that he prepared like he was the starter, and reached out to people all through the team. And when he became the starter, he wasn't lost in the moment.

To me, Jordan Mailata was the same way. He started, played well, got benched, and then was put back in the starting lineup. and he never complained or let it impact his play. Same with Herbig. And JJAW (who I like and I think will have a role for us this year) was the same way. He got benched and never whined, and made a big play on the fumble recovery in the end zone, and then came out and played well in the last game of the season.

I wouldn't draft a qb in round one because I like the vibe this offense is developing with guys who aren't afraid to put the team ahead of themselves. Greg Ward is another scrapper who keeps making play after play. You get enough guys like that in the building, and suddenly you have an offense that has 11 guys working together and it creates a winning atmosphere. And it starts with the QB, and Wentz wasn't providing that quality that Hurts will.

To me, we are turning the page on Ertz (whined about his salary), Peters (demanded more money to change positions), Wentz (afraid to compete with Hurts), Desean (obvious issues), and Alshon (allegedly anonymous source) and while the guys replacing them may not have the ability or the draft pedigree, never underestimate a locker room that has a winning culture. 

Good players are the most important ingredient to a winning culture.  The 2020 Eagles were missing that... IN SPADES!!!!!    Congrats to Hurts to relating better to rookies with the same ethnic background.    The difference to me, in Long's comments... he was on a winning team at the time.  When your team has good players like 2017, its a game changer.

We disagree because you seemed to think Wentz best move was to come back to prove he can change as a person (whatever that means) but continue to play with a crap team.   I think his best move it to go play with good players.      Hurts on the other hand, its great he can run for mayor when his career is done... which may be sooner than most people think.  

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

We disagree because you seemed to think Wentz best move was to come back to prove he can change as a person (whatever that means) but continue to play with a crap team.   I think his best move it to go play with good players.      Hurts on the other hand, its great he can run for mayor when his career is done... which may be sooner than most people think.  

We will see how Wentz does. If he improves his footwork, other mechanics and adjusts his playing style, he should be fine. The Colts have a good team and oodles of cap space in a market where other teams are going to be strapped for cash.

But if he decides that everyone else is the problem, and that he doesn't have to change a thing, he's going to struggle. You can't fake it in the NFL. His mechanics were bad, something that every analyst agrees on.

As far as him wanting out, he got his wish. But now there aren't any excuses. He is going to a team that is ready to win now. If they don't, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

As far as Hurts, maybe he isn't the guy. But you don't know that he isn't any more than I know that he is.  

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

We will see how Wentz does. If he improves his footwork, other mechanics and adjusts his playing style, he should be fine. The Colts have a good team and oodles of cap space in a market where other teams are going to be strapped for cash.

But if he decides that everyone else is the problem, and that he doesn't have to change a thing, he's going to struggle. You can't fake it in the NFL. His mechanics were bad, something that every analyst agrees on.

As far as him wanting out, he got his wish. But now there aren't any excuses. He is going to a team that is ready to win now. If they don't, it will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

As far as Hurts, maybe he isn't the guy. But you don't know that he isn't any more than I know that he is.  

But why would there be a problem in the first place??  you just stated all the things that the colts have that the Eagles should have provided.  That is what counts.  The idea is not... lets see how much crap we can put around this guy and how he handles himself?    Which to me you seem to be stuck on.   you know how the best way to improve all the things you say.... when you know in your head that your OL is consistently going to give you time... and you know your WRs are going to get open.   When your coach keeps running the ball when it works... etc.   

All the rest aren't " problems"     A players job is not to fix problems... a players job is to go play and try to win the ultimate prize.   Philly took that opportunity away... the debates here on issues and problems and all the soap opera stuff.... They didn't exist in 2017 simply due to the roster being that good to start with... so there was no blame to pass around.  Why is it hard to see.   The Superbowl should have provided the example with everyone's golden boy putting up 9 points... with Kelce and Hill.... not the crap we had?   

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Wentx has all these issues... horrible human being.... Hurts could easily be the next pope ....  if we put Hurts on the market right now... what do you think we get back in a trade?   Compare that to Wentz.  This is a guy who comes dirt cheap and has all the intangibles compared to the biggest piece of garbage walking the earth.      

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wentx has all these issues... horrible human being.... Hurts could easily be the next pope ....  if we put Hurts on the market right now... what do you think we get back in a trade?   Compare that to Wentz.  This is a guy who comes dirt cheap and has all the intangibles compared to the biggest piece of garbage walking the earth.      

Nowhere did I say that Wentz was any of those things. I mean, it's a discussion board. But it's hard to have a discussion when one person is constantly screaming "the Eagles suck" and constantly stuck on putting a guy on a pedestal who is no longer here. 

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Because the drafts that were made prior to putting your QB in place matter .... it's why you want Pitts right?  Get him now, and we can get QB in a year or 2 or 3?   The failing around Wentz started before he got here.  As far as drafting goes.  

Yeah, thats why I am taking A QB in 2,not at 6. Let's give Hurts some compeitition while we rebuild this team and see if either Hurts or the Rook is sufficient at QB

But if they trade back and don't trade for Watson... why wouldn't Darnold be the QB?   

They could trade back from 2,to 4,5 and still get a nice QB like Lance there IMO, maybe even Fields who knows?

5 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

And rumor is Jets plan to stick with Darnold and want to trade out of #2

Rumor is they like this QB and that QB 

Rumor is they want Watson lmao 

tons of rumors out there 

Yeah I said alot of this hinges on where Watson goes. He(Watson) indicated he did NOT want to go to NY

5 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Nah, they're gonna pick their QB in round 6 :whistle:

Worked out ok before!!! lol

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wasn’t Miller on the 53 while Singleton was on the PS? Yeah that’s another reason it was a bad pick. Had to roster him without using him. Missed out on opportunities with others.

OH there's a fresh can of worms HAHAHA. Guys we put on the PS that SHOULD have been rostered. Once again a FAILURE to recognize talent(Ward is >Jjaw? how about Scott?) Sad when you can't identify your best players(regardless of contract)

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Chris Long on Carson Wentz.

"His leadership, our Super Bowl year, from the beginning, I never thought about or evaluated whether he was a leader or not. What I thought was ‘damn this kid’s pretty good.’ And he’s a good kid. If anything, he’s a little shy. You’d like to see him reach out more and kind of go over to that corner of the locker room. I read Albert Breer’s article, which I thought was the fairest synopsis yet, which read, in effect, that actually people think he’s a good guy, what he needs to do is reach out to every corner of the locker room better. The coachability and stubbornness, he ain’t the only player, but we expect something more out of a quarterback. Right? That’s the bottom line. He’s not the only quarterback who is stubborn. This has existed as this extreme conversation when, he’s got things to fix, but I don’t remember ever thinking, ‘what an a-hole.’"

I think this sums up the biggest difference between a Carson Wentz and a Jalen Hurts. Hurts from day 1 commanded the locker room. Even though he was a backup, a lot of people with the team (most notably Jason Avant who was an assistant coach last year) said that he prepared like he was the starter, and reached out to people all through the team. And when he became the starter, he wasn't lost in the moment.

To me, Jordan Mailata was the same way. He started, played well, got benched, and then was put back in the starting lineup. and he never complained or let it impact his play. Same with Herbig. And JJAW (who I like and I think will have a role for us this year) was the same way. He got benched and never whined, and made a big play on the fumble recovery in the end zone, and then came out and played well in the last game of the season.

I wouldn't draft a qb in round one because I like the vibe this offense is developing with guys who aren't afraid to put the team ahead of themselves. Greg Ward is another scrapper who keeps making play after play. You get enough guys like that in the building, and suddenly you have an offense that has 11 guys working together and it creates a winning atmosphere. And it starts with the QB, and Wentz wasn't providing that quality that Hurts will.

To me, we are turning the page on Ertz (whined about his salary), Peters (demanded more money to change positions), Wentz (afraid to compete with Hurts), Desean (obvious issues), and Alshon (allegedly anonymous source) and while the guys replacing them may not have the ability or the draft pedigree, never underestimate a locker room that has a winning culture. 

Perfect, thats what I want to see, stars,studs, nobodys all working for one thing,to win the game(1 at a time). Ped was also an issue for me on this front. TOO MANY times we came out flat and had to use the second half to play catch up football. Tip of the hat to the D who scrapped along while Ped and company made bonehead after bonehead calls on offense, then add in Wentz league leading picks and sacks and missed receivers. I'm glad we cleaned house. it wasn't the way I would have done it,but it's done and we need to start a new era.

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

They could trade back from 2,to 4,5 and still get a nice QB like Lance there IMO, maybe even Fields who knows?

Who is picking 4 or 5 that would trade up for a QB?  I was assuming a trade back to Carolina or Denver?  I thought the Faclons and Bengals were picking 4 and 5?  IDK if ATL offers a package to move up for a QB from 4?  Certainly not Cincy at 5?   So you would think if the Jets trade out of #2, it would be either to Houston to get Watson .. or further down to draft something else with keeping Darnold?   If they want the rookie QB you would think they select him at #2?   

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

. I'm glad we cleaned house. it wasn't the way I would have done it,but it's done and we need to start a new era.

Did we really clean house?   

8 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Nowhere did I say that Wentz was any of those things. I mean, it's a discussion board. But it's hard to have a discussion when one person is constantly screaming "the Eagles suck" and constantly stuck on putting a guy on a pedestal who is no longer here. 

It's a discussion... my question remains ... what do you think we could get in a trade for Hurts right now?   Nobody is ever on a pedestal for me... to me in a team game it's all about a team, the entire roster.  Common sense says any dude in this league who showed he can play... vs an entire offense that had someone who never took an NFL snap EVER before this year ... I would think the 10 new guys are the issue.    I would also think any player puts in the work in order to win a SB.   I don't think any player worth a dime should shy away from his team having high expectations.    I also believe the soap opera stuff starts at the top of the organization.   I think they are starving for attention and look to pass blame every time a key player or coach leave.  I think both the former head coach and QB couldn't get out of town fast enough .... more importantly, I don't think the main reason for this, was the other person.   The people in charge of the organization of the team that I am a fan of are my issue.  The idea should be that people want to come to work for you, not the other way around.   If I had an issue amongst a group of players.... to me, the better more experienced players carry more weight.  In this case of the Eagles 2020 offense... the opinion I value most would be Kelce.... Miles Sanders, Quez Watkins, or any other person who has dome nothing of any substance in this league don't really concern me with their opinions.    If I look at a resume within the organization... besides a few other veteran players... the former coach and QB trump the others... which includes a GM whose remaining pro bowl selection Lane Johnson... has had 56 players drafted since, with a good chance that only Seumalo will remain on the roster of any player drafted before 2018.    

In addition, Duce and Schwartz couldn't wait to get out of here either.   So I apologize if to me, I see any of these articles passing blame away from the top of the organization and am a little skeptic.    Something like the one below makes more logical sense.  It's not coming from any leaked source or PR from the team.  

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/carson-wentz-trade-howie-roseman-chris-ballard-draft-picks-20210220.html

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

It's a discussion... my question remains ... what do you think we could get in a trade for Hurts right now? 

If I were the Eagles, and someone called me about Hurts (let's say we draft a qb at 6) my price would be 700 points, or the equivalent of the 26th pick in the draft. I might go down to 600 points, but not any lower.

I think Hurts is at least as good as Daniel Jones right now.

As far as people wanting to get out of the organization, Duce left because he was passed over for a promotion. Schwartz didn't have his contract renewed. As far as Wentz, he wasn't demanding to be traded like Watson, but rather he made it known he would prefer a fresh start, and the Eagles were happy to accommodate him. That is pretty telling of what they thought of him.  

Who is picking 4 or 5 that would trade up for a QB?  I was assuming a trade back to Carolina or Denver?  I thought the Faclons and Bengals were picking 4 and 5?  IDK if ATL offers a package to move up for a QB from 4?  Certainly not Cincy at 5?   So you would think if the Jets trade out of #2, it would be either to Houston to get Watson .. or further down to draft something else with keeping Darnold?   If they want the rookie QB you would think they select him at #2?   

Watson said he would play for 3 teams, the Jets were not one of them. SO either they keep Darnold,even though he knows he is being shopped,or they take Wilson/Fields at pick 2. I don't see other options

Did we really clean house?   

LOL well the head housekeeper is still there, but hired all new workers who who make them look good for another year or 2

It's a discussion... my question remains ... what do you think we could get in a trade for Hurts right now?   Nobody is ever on a pedestal for me... to me in a team game it's all about a team, the entire roster.  Common sense says any dude in this league who showed he can play... vs an entire offense that had someone who never took an NFL snap EVER before this year ... I would think the 10 new guys are the issue.    I would also think any player puts in the work in order to win a SB.   I don't think any player worth a dime should shy away from his team having high expectations.    I also believe the soap opera stuff starts at the top of the organization.   I think they are starving for attention and look to pass blame every time a key player or coach leave.  I think both the former head coach and QB couldn't get out of town fast enough .... more importantly, I don't think the main reason for this, was the other person.   The people in charge of the organization of the team that I am a fan of are my issue.  The idea should be that people want to come to work for you, not the other way around.   If I had an issue amongst a group of players.... to me, the better more experienced players carry more weight.  In this case of the Eagles 2020 offense... the opinion I value most would be Kelce.... Miles Sanders, Quez Watkins, or any other person who has dome nothing of any substance in this league don't really concern me with their opinions.    If I look at a resume within the organization... besides a few other veteran players... the former coach and QB trump the others... which includes a GM whose remaining pro bowl selection Lane Johnson... has had 56 players drafted since, with a good chance that only Seumalo will remain on the roster of any player drafted before 2018.    

In addition, Duce and Schwartz couldn't wait to get out of here either.   So I apologize if to me, I see any of these articles passing blame away from the top of the organization and am a little skeptic.    Something like the one below makes more logical sense.  It's not coming from any leaked source or PR from the team.  

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/carson-wentz-trade-howie-roseman-chris-ballard-draft-picks-20210220.html

"-An ever-shifting command structure in which nobody every acknowledges responsibility"  Lurie is responsible-ALWAYS

LOL They could trade back,the teams they put in front of them may NOT take a QB, therefore they get THEIR QB PLUS another pick. This is not hard to understand and one of the top reasons  you move back. Even if ATL took a QB(which is possible and they move up to 2 for him), the "other one" should be there 2 picks later, so they can get a QB at pick 4/5 as I said and get another draft pick to boot. Even at pick 5 they could do this unless Cincy is planning to bounce Burrow, which I doubt. Giving Cincy the 2 pick would most certainly give them their WR of choice to pair with Burrow(I would think Chase here) which would still leave the Jets 2 picks away from a QB. Even if ATL took one,then Miami would have to also to screw up that scenario. 

Still waiting for cuts / restructures, but looking at players. One I absolutely be po'd about is Fields, although a lot of mocks have him to us at 6. Talented, accurate, made to look good when everything's going well in a play. Once things break down, so does he. Consistently does not see open players, slow to react, holds on to the ball way too long when protection breaks down. One of the main attributes I look for in a QB is processing speed, something that can improve somewhat with experience, but never to the level of those who ?have it". Pass on Fields!

26 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Still waiting for cuts / restructures, but looking at players. One I absolutely be po'd about is Fields, although a lot of mocks have him to us at 6. Talented, accurate, made to look good when everything's going well in a play. Once things break down, so does he. Consistently does not see open players, slow to react, holds on to the ball way too long when protection breaks down. One of the main attributes I look for in a QB is processing speed, something that can improve somewhat with experience, but never to the level of those who ?have it". Pass on Fields!

Well been reported Eagles are looking into the 3 QBs that could be around at 6. Wilson/Fields/Lance I’d probably say we will look at Mac Jones as well. 

Next will be how they view those guys vs Hurts. Still say we end up taking QB round 1 

7 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Well been reported Eagles are looking into the 3 QBs that could be around at 6. Wilson/Fields/Lance I’d probably say we will look at Mac Jones as well. 

Next will be how they view those guys vs Hurts. Still say we end up taking QB round 1 

Just about everything you hear about teams now is a smoke screen. The fact we are hearing that makes me believe the opposite.

42 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

alented, accurate, made to look good when everything's going well in a play. Once things break down, so does he

Like Mahomes did in the SB?

14 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Still say we end up taking QB round 1 

Yes, let's start the new era making the same mistakes as always

7 minutes ago, stine said:

Just about everything you hear about teams now is a smoke screen. The fact we are hearing that makes me believe the opposite.

The smoke screen could be a smokescreen for the smokescreen the mirror smokescreened yesterday

Archived