Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

LOL They could trade back,the teams they put in front of them may NOT take a QB, therefore they get THEIR QB PLUS another pick. This is not hard to understand and one of the top reasons  you move back. Even if ATL took a QB(which is possible and they move up to 2 for him), the "other one" should be there 2 picks later, so they can get a QB at pick 4/5 as I said and get another draft pick to boot. Even at pick 5 they could do this unless Cincy is planning to bounce Burrow, which I doubt. Giving Cincy the 2 pick would most certainly give them their WR of choice to pair with Burrow(I would think Chase here) which would still leave the Jets 2 picks away from a QB. Even if ATL took one,then Miami would have to also to screw up that scenario. 

I don't think anyone trades up to #2 without taking a QB.   If I'm the Jets and want a particular QB, which is usually the case... not just the idea " we can get A QB, but the specific one they want, not worth risking dropping down from 2 and missing that guy. 

From the Jets point of view, if they trade Darnold, they will take their QB at 2 ( unless he is included in a Watson trade).    If they trade #2. Most likely Darnold will remain. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I don't think anyone trades up to #2 without taking a QB.   If I'm the Jets and want a particular QB, which is usually the case... not just the idea " we can get A QB, but the specific one they want, not worth risking dropping down from 2 and missing that guy. 

From the Jets point of view, if they trade Darnold, they will take their QB at 2 ( unless he is included in a Watson trade).    If they trade #2. Most likely Darnold will remain. 

No Idea,maybe they move to 1 for Lawrence

OT-took my '62 Nova out.it's nice here today(72). It ran alot better than the Eagles org 🤣

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

If I were the Eagles, and someone called me about Hurts (let's say we draft a qb at 6) my price would be 700 points, or the equivalent of the 26th pick in the draft. I might go down to 600 points, but not any lower.

I think Hurts is at least as good as Daniel Jones right now.

As far as people wanting to get out of the organization, Duce left because he was passed over for a promotion. Schwartz didn't have his contract renewed. As far as Wentz, he wasn't demanding to be traded like Watson, but rather he made it known he would prefer a fresh start, and the Eagles were happy to accommodate him. That is pretty telling of what they thought of him.  

So you agree.  If this goes in the toilet... ( all be it one big happy family with Intangibles oozing from pours) then Howie/ Lurie are 100% to blame)

Because my point... what's really telling... the people making the decisions, haven't really had a good track record as far as judging the talent.  Also, nobody seems heartbroken to be leaving their employment.    To me... very telling of what they all think of the organization!  

Also... no shot you get a 1st round pick for Hurts...  he did nothing to show any GM that passed over him last year, that he improved his draft value.  As one league source said, probably a late day 2 pick.   

Also saw article with cap expert saying 4 years 50 mil for a Barnett extension with $25 mil guaranteed.  Idk about that high, but also think they have to max out the 5 year spread of the singing bonus.  I think 5 years at 40 mil might make more sense.  But that's my issue, IDK if it's worth it if the cap savings are only about 5 mil for this year, which may have to be the case if they want to avoid cap hits of 14 or 15 mil in years 2 or 3?

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Well been reported Eagles are looking into the 3 QBs that could be around at 6. Wilson/Fields/Lance I’d probably say we will look at Mac Jones as well. 

Next will be how they view those guys vs Hurts. Still say we end up taking QB round 1 

Plus the obvious thing of pairing a new coach with a new QB of his choice.

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So you agree.  If this goes in the toilet... ( all be it one big happy family with Intangibles oozing from pours) then Howie/ Lurie are 100% to blame)

They have been to blame since 2017 IMO

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Because my point... what's really telling... the people making the decisions, haven't really had a good track record as far as judging the talent.  Also, nobody seems heartbroken to be leaving their employment.    To me... very telling of what they all think of the organization!  

Also... no shot you get a 1st round pick for Hurts...  he did nothing to show any GM that passed over him last year, that he improved his draft value.  As one league source said, probably a late day 2 pick.   

Also saw article with cap expert saying 4 years 50 mil for a Barnett extension with $25 mil guaranteed.  Idk about that high, but also think they have to max out the 5 year spread of the singing bonus.  I think 5 years at 40 mil might make more sense.  But that's my issue, IDK if it's worth it if the cap savings are only about 5 mil for this year, which may have to be the case if they want to avoid cap hits of 14 or 15 mil in years 2 or 3?

I never claimed we'd get anything for Hurts. Even if he doesn't start he is a viable BU on a rook contract

13 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK Joe,not in camp. From a fan perspective Barnett hasn't shown me enough to warrant that cost. Although I love "ceilings" A few steps coming out of the basement isn't enough for me

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Did we really clean house?   

No, but something that I hope gets addressed. 

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

As far as people wanting to get out of the organization, Duce left because he was passed over for a promotion. Schwartz didn't have his contract renewed.

Do we REALLY know this?  Any person can say one thing and at the same time have another reason. I don't think many want to work for this org right now. Even if we had $$$ to go after some premier FA's I just don't see players lining up. 

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I saw the article about the Barnett number as well, and I am kind of gobsmacked by it.

There is no way Barnett is going to get 4/$50 million. if he gets that, what does Hendrickson, Reddick and Ngakoe get?

Dawuane Smoot had almost the exact same stats as Barnett for the Jaguars last year, and he's not going to get anywhere near that amount of money.

As far as Hurts' value, who knows. How much is Tua worth? Or Daniel Jones? Or Goff?

Sure, a team might not trade a first round pick for Hurts, but no one wanted Nick Foles and he won the Super Bowl. So think about that. 

1 minute ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Do we REALLY know this?  Any person can say one thing and at the same time have another reason. I don't think many want to work for this org right now. Even if we had $$$ to go after some premier FA's I just don't see players lining up. 

Jenkins is constantly taking about the Eagles. Chris Long does his podcast focused on Eagles news. Dawkins writes a column about the Eagles.

No one gives a crap about the Colts. Philly will always have value because people care about football here, to the point where this board is active in the middle of February.

See how many views Chris Long would get if he were doing a podcast about the Rams. No one there gives a crap.

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

lso saw article with cap expert saying 4 years 50 mil for a Barnett extension with $25 mil guaranteed. 

One thing about that article, the cap expert was from Pro Football Focus, which for some reason ranks Barnett really highly. His grade was just below Hendrickson's, who had 14 sacks compared to Barnett's 5.5.

That number he threw out there is just simply insane. Based on that, Marcus Epps (who has a much higher PFF rating than Barnett) is going to cost us $15 million a year.

46 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I never claimed we'd get anything for Hurts. Even if he doesn't start he is a viable BU on a rook contract

Wasn't directed at you, but was just a question for JSB

Some stats on Hurts versus other first round qbs in their first four games as a starter.

Thomas R. Petersen 🦅 on Twitter: "Comparing raw stats from first 4 career starts for Jalen Hurts and 2020 first round QBs. #Eagles https://t.co/j8437UxYZq" / Twitter

Same amount of yards as Burrow, almost twice as many as Tua. More TDs than Burrow or Tua. Higher yards per attempt than Burrow or Tua. And throwing to worse wide receivers behind a worse oline.

His only bad stat is completion percentage, but he makes up for that by throwing downfield more often, and completing downfield passes more often, which is why his yards per attempt is higher.

I don't know if he will be the starter next year, but the narrative that he is only worth a late day two pick is ridiculous. If the team thinks the next Herbert is there at #6, you take him. Herbert is special. If it's the next Burrow, I don't see much of an upgrade, and I want no part of the next Tua. 

20 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Since we really can't know this for sure.... it will be interesting the view around the league a year from now.  But certainly it feels like it's going in this direction.  A year from now... what will happen to Lane, Brooks, Cox, Graham, Slay ....?  How these guys stay or go might be telling.    There will be tough to spin anything if these guys leave.   As the fan base loves these guys, there is a belief they can all play well for a few more years.    So parting with them, will have to be a sign of rebuild for 2022, especially in a year where the cap space opens up.   If we hear about any spin of any of them not being a good teammate...etc.   I think this time the fans will call BS.    If by some small chance Kelce tells them he wants to play for another team, and they wait until after June 1 to release him, that's another bad look on the status of the organization (why doesn't this guy want to play here type thing?) There will be no trashing him on the way out, people won't want him to suffer through playing on this team and get the fact that he wants to win.   Seems to be going over a lot of people's heads right now about other people as they leave.   

For me personally... I started watching Vermeil was the coach... I just turned 8 when they went to the SB that year, so I don't remember a streak of longer than 3 years without 10 wins.  2021 season would be #4 in a row.  It gets mitigated a little due to the fluke of making the playoffs as a 9 win team... TWICE even.   But it's an uphill battle for sure coming up as I believe the other teams are set up much better to win the division for the time being.   If this trend continues for a few more years... we go back to 1970s level Eagles.  Worst streak by far under Lurie.  I assume something major happens then?  Who knows?    

34 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Jenkins is constantly taking about the Eagles. Chris Long does his podcast focused on Eagles news. Dawkins writes a column about the Eagles.

No one gives a crap about the Colts. Philly will always have value because people care about football here, to the point where this board is active in the middle of February.

See how many views Chris Long would get if he were doing a podcast about the Rams. No one there gives a crap.

Right... the soap opera is a huge part of the Eagles... they love attention.  This will ear off soon if they continue to spiral downward.  

11 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Some stats on Hurts versus other first round qbs in their first four games as a starter.

Thomas R. Petersen 🦅 on Twitter: "Comparing raw stats from first 4 career starts for Jalen Hurts and 2020 first round QBs. #Eagles https://t.co/j8437UxYZq" / Twitter

Same amount of yards as Burrow, almost twice as many as Tua. More TDs than Burrow or Tua. Higher yards per attempt than Burrow or Tua. And throwing to worse wide receivers behind a worse oline.

His only bad stat is completion percentage, but he makes up for that by throwing downfield more often, and completing downfield passes more often, which is why his yards per attempt is higher.

I don't know if he will be the starter next year, but the narrative that he is only worth a late day two pick is ridiculous. If the team thinks the next Herbert is there at #6, you take him. Herbert is special. If it's the next Burrow, I don't see much of an upgrade, and I want no part of the next Tua. 

I didn't really see Hurts throwing much downfield... I think his lack of completion % is mainly due to the OL... which I feel the same about the guy he replaced.  Again, the eye test shows he struggles with throws that are difficult... off timing, off the back foot, running left...etc.  Tua to me is irrelevant... but again, that style QB to me is gimmick.  Burrow for sure would get more in trade value.   But it's ok... lets just see what happens.   BTW... If the NYG TE... who by some miracle was pro bowl, mostly due to the physical gifts that he can do with the ball in his hands... if that guy could catch, big difference in the narrative about his QB.    

The issue that I think a lot of people miss with QBs... they look at stats and not how the stats were achieved.  The NYG OL got a lot better as the season went on. If they take the next step up, like the Bills did this year... and the Giants add a receiving weapon to go along with their RB coming back... watch how all of a sudden a QB with all the tools like Jones, suddenly transforms.   Now, we can say the same about Hurts... that's why I say lets see what happens.  My eye test is Hurts can't make all the throws, he will need more help that a guy with jones's arm.    The bigger picture remains... Hurts right now, if he turns out to be an average starting QB, it's a victory for him.  But where does that leave the Eagles?  

35 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

One thing about that article, the cap expert was from Pro Football Focus, which for some reason ranks Barnett really highly. His grade was just below Hendrickson's, who had 14 sacks compared to Barnett's 5.5.

That number he threw out there is just simply insane. Based on that, Marcus Epps (who has a much higher PFF rating than Barnett) is going to cost us $15 million a year.

The problem is right now his contract is for $10 mil next year.   Players want to make more than their one year value.   The leverage he has is he can go on the open market first.  Only takes one team to value him highly due to his position and age.  Right now, if you were his agent (taking off your " everyone should want to compete for a job with the Eagles and prove themselves" hat)   wouldn't you tell him to go to free agency?  I mean, you came this far.    Imagine a teams makes a decent offer, yet it's a better team ... why wouldn't he leave?   He can still go on Chris Long's podcast and talk about the Eagles.

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The problem is right now his contract is for $10 mil next year.   Players want to make more than their one year value.   The leverage he has is he can go on the open market first.  Only takes one team to value him highly due to his position and age.  Right now, if you were his agent (taking off your " everyone should want to compete for a job with the Eagles and prove themselves" hat)   wouldn't you tell him to go to free agency?  I mean, you came this far.    Imagine a teams makes a decent offer, yet it's a better team ... why wouldn't he leave?   He can still go on Chris Long's podcast and talk about the Eagles.

I think his biggest problem is that there are a ton of free agent edge rushers, including guys coming off double digit sack seasons. So if a team wants a premier pass rusher, they are going to have plenty of options.

Personally, I am fine with the team going with Graham, Sweat, a draft pick and a cheap free agent for this season, and then spending a first round pick on a DE next season. There are a ton of pass rushers projected to go in the second and third rounds, and I don't think Barnett has done enough to warrant a massive contract, especially since we are already paying Graham, Hargrave and Cox. 

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think his biggest problem is that there are a ton of free agent edge rushers, including guys coming off double digit sack seasons. So if a team wants a premier pass rusher, they are going to have plenty of options.

Personally, I am fine with the team going with Graham, Sweat, a draft pick and a cheap free agent for this season, and then spending a first round pick on a DE next season. There are a ton of pass rushers projected to go in the second and third rounds, and I don't think Barnett has done enough to warrant a massive contract, especially since we are already paying Graham, Hargrave and Cox. 

Right... I don't think he deserves a big contract either.... but again, I think it's his best interest to go on the open market.   It could actually work in his favor if there are guys paid well at his position.  Really, there is not much to lose at all for him.   I doubt the Eagles make an offer now, then go lower after he hits the open market.  Right now the Eagles having a need to get under the cap prior to the start of the league year works in Barnett's advantage.  That and his $10 mil # if they don't do anything before the deadline.    You only need one GM like Ham that find the excuses of why he wasn't "  unleashed"  each year to fall in love with his " potential"  Maybe a team that wanted him in the draft 4 years ago?  

2 hours ago, stine said:

Just about everything you hear about teams now is a smoke screen. The fact we are hearing that makes me believe the opposite.

We can only hope. Right?

3 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Well been reported Eagles are looking into the 3 QBs that could be around at 6. Wilson/Fields/Lance I’d probably say we will look at Mac Jones as well. 

Next will be how they view those guys vs Hurts. Still say we end up taking QB round 1 

I think Wilson and Fields are gone before pick 6.  No way am I touching Lance.  

I really am not concerned. I have no control over what they do anyway. I am going on what I feel they should do and hope I am right for a change. Chase, Parsons or Pitts at 6 is my choice. If none are available, trade back to 9(if Possible) and get best CB, S, D-Line or WR available..... Then go from there....

It's always a little exciting anticipating the moves being made for a new coach.    I actually like Siri's background.  It's the first time though that I feel the new coach isn't inheriting anyone in their prime.  The Marian Campbell years I think I put out of my mind....lol... but Buddy inherited a few nice pieces in their prime, passed along a bunch to Kotite, who passed a few on to Rhodes and Andy got to start with a stud LT and a  nice group on defense  with that secondary and Hugh  .. .who? ... Hugh.   I guess Goedert, Seumalo and Barnett could be 3 guys you could say are experienced and could be around for 4 or 5 more years???  The rest are a lot of young inexperienced dudes or expensive guys over 30.   The emphasis for our coaching staff to develop players has never been more important.   Got a long of young coaches, full of energy and first time in such big roles... I think that's great.   I just hope they aren't set up to fail and end up taking all the blame.  The division looks to be developing into the best we have seen it in about 30 years, certainly going to be a challenge.  Whoever this first player selected will be... hopefully he has same impact as Lane and McNabb  ... not Antone Davis or Mike Mamula.   

Archived