EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

12 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

C2845D77-E64F-4EFB-9325-A88FEDB7213E.jpeg

Look at the eyes concentrating on the ball, looking it in.......legendary!!!  Maybe they should bring him back as WR coach.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What excites you about Zachary McFearsen?

Lol... I kid, I kid.   Always exciting to see the new blood on the field for the first time.  I'm hoping that first look makes us hungry to see more, rather than to make us want to look away.   I will say I am excited to see Dickerson on the field as well, but think we'll have to wait for that one.  I just hope that when he does return, it isn't a short stint.

McPearson reminds me a bit of Sheldon Brown, who was a solid CB2. Bit lighter but similar athleticism and play.  Both keep (kept) the play in front of them and are solid tacklers, although McPhearson goes low at times.  I think he can be a solid CB2.  He actually was a player I looked at for CB2.

I wonder if we see Dickerson in TC much at all. Seven months is a bit quick for the ACL to fully recover. 

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

McPearson reminds me a bit of Sheldon Brown, who was a solid CB2. Bit lighter but similar athleticism and play.  Both keep (kept) the play in front of them and are solid tacklers, although McPhearson goes low at times.  I think he can be a solid CB2.  He actually was a player I looked at for CB2.

I wonder if we see Dickerson in TC much at all. Seven months is a bit quick for the ACL to fully recover. 

We likely won't see Dickerson at TC until he signs his contract.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

If you want play to play stability, Dillard will probably win.
If you want more splash plays and clean wins, Mailata will probably win.

Given that Hurts is a mobile QB, I'd lean Mailata. Hurts escape out of the trouble while Mailata continues to develop.

There was no stability from Dillard as a rookie.  

12 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I really would love to see them move Driscoll inside and let him learn the full gamet of RG,C, and LG.  I think he would be most effective at C, and wouldn't require a major overhaul to how the OL operates when moving on from Kelce.  (Of course, he's not at the same level of athlete as Jason, but he's the closest we have.)  Allowing Dickerson to move to OG where his strength will be exploited... and a 6'6" center is rather unusual, and leave Seumalo where he is... where he's finally settled in nicely.

I think Driscoll was drafted to be a swing everything much like Seumalo.  But I wonder about C.  Also, I am not convinced yet he has the anchor for G.  I am real curious how the offseason strength and training program impacted all the reserve OL, Herbig, Opeta and Pierschbacher as well as Driscoll.  Hopefully Dillard got benefits after the bicep tear too.  

8 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Look at the eyes concentrating on the ball, looking it in.......legendary!!!  Maybe they should bring him back as WR coach.

Nah, I have seen that look before.  Me when forced into the lineup as WR. The thought behind the eyes is please don’t let me drop it. 

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This reminded me, so let me be the first to venture :offtopic:  Have you guys seen the new Foo Fighters project ??

:blink:

5 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

We likely won't see Dickerson at TC until he signs his contract.

That too but I think the ACL also will limit TC reps.  

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Oh, I'm not holding out hope to see him at all during this season... which is one of the reasons I was against selecting him at 37.  I love the prospect, hate the injury concern.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

If you want play to play stability, Dillard will probably win.
If you want more splash plays and clean wins, Mailata will probably win.

Given that Hurts is a mobile QB, I'd lean Mailata. Hurts escape out of the trouble while Mailata continues to develop.

I don't entirely agree.  I do agree that Mailata, at this point, *probably* gives you less stability and more explosive pancake highlights.  However, IMO, the LT position is all about stability...I want the guy that yields the fewest pressures and sacks possible.  That's what that position is all about.

I'd also bet that the winner of the Dillard/Mailata battle figures into the future plans of the franchise far longer than Hurts does, so I would not let a transient QB dictate our LT situation just to facilitate his running.  Now, I'm not sure that was exactly your rationale...if it's...Mailata is the better fit at LT with the better upside, might as well get his growing pains out of the way while Hurts just runs around, then I suppose that's fine.

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yes....and the name of the album is hilarious.  

HAIL SATIN

Sup with that?

13 minutes ago, greend said:

Sup with that?

Have you ever slept on satin sheets?  Delightful. 

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

yes

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The important thing is for the QB to develop... so play to play, knowing what he is going to have in front of him is more important.  Dillard will have every opportunity to prove that's who he is.  Mailata, on the other hand, will also have a chance to continue to improve and prove himself in TC and the PS.   But, best outcome is for both to prove they can play at a high level and this team can move on from Lane Johnson after this season.  He's been great, but won't be even close to that when this team is ready to compete.  Time to rip off that bandaid and move on from Johnson, Brooks and Kelce after this season.  It will be a sad change, but a necessary one.  They will need to prove that they leanred something from the Jason Peters debacle of the last 2 years.  Jason was great, but the time to move on came after 2018.  They missed the boat on that, due to excessive loyalty to the past and past accomplishments.

Johnson, Brooks and Kelce are the big contract vets who should be on the declining part of their playing career.  Also on DL, Graham and Cox are on the same boat.  Peters debacle should play an important lesson on how to handle this bunch.  We are in a somewhat better shape in terms of replacements on OL.  Not so much on the DL. 

4 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Johnson, Brooks and Kelce are the big contract vets who should be on the declining part of their playing career.  Also on DL, Graham and Cox are on the same boat.  Peters debacle should play an important lesson on how to handle this bunch.  We are in a somewhat better shape in terms of replacements on OL.  Not so much on the DL. 

Lane Johnson, IF healthy, should not be declining IMO.  At 31 years old he isn't in his prime but he's still a highly productive player and I expect him to continue to perform at the same level he's show he's capable of.

IF he can stay healthy.

10 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Hurts "could” be Russell Wilson too.  Right.  Moron.  

Careful you need to watch the blood pressure ole timer. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Overrated…

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If they rejected a 1st for him, it's time for Howie to look elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If they rejected a 1st for him, it's time for Howie to look elsewhere.

Eagles actually can not afford him.  Savings trading Ertz would get the Eagles to 11.2 million in cap room.  Howard has a base salary of 12.075 million.

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Davehydesports?  😂 

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Davehydesports?  😂 

He works for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

David Warren Hyde is a sports columnist for the South Florida Sun Sentinel newspaper, the main daily newspaper of Fort Lauderdale. He won the National Headliner Award in 2016 (and finished second in 2018) for top sports column writing in the country. He finished third in column writing by the Associated Press Sports Editors in 2017, the 15th time his work has been in the top 10 of APSE awards. Prior to joining the Sun-Sentinel as a columnist in 1990, he worked as a sportswriter at the Miami Herald from 1985-1990. He has been a Sun-Sentinel columnist since 1990

Archived