EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Will the Eagles have any coach invitees to camp like Avant served?   

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Quick shout out to O.G. Adam Caplan "one of the first bloggers ever on. the. internet.

:roll:

Dude's been "talking to personnel people around the National Football League" since the leather helmet days.

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Daryl Ely

No idea who that is, but that's the guy. From Mount Union.

36 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

His style of play is perfect for the TC play of the day.....Hurts scrambles around for 10 seconds and finds someone who shook free.  Going to see A LOT of that. 

Actually, this is the style he needs to develop.  If he's scrambling around in order to break down coverage and find an open receiver that will make him more successful.  The tucking and running 15-20 times a game is what won't be successful.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Davion Taylor, Joe Ostman.

I've been a huge Ostman guy and almost forgot he was the on the team.  I think he goes the other direction this year and flies under the radar. 

Taylor, I agree with 100%.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Actually, this is the style he needs to develop.  If he's scrambling around in order to break down coverage and find an open receiver that will make him more successful.  The tucking and running 15-20 times a game is what won't be successful.

In games it would be great...in TC when he's wearing red and you can't touch him, it's a total hype builder.  If it creates new habits for him, that's great.

Has Dickerson signed yet or is he still the line remaining unsigned draft pick? 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Has Dickerson signed yet or is he still the line remaining unsigned draft pick? 

Still unsigned.  Not sure what the hold up is, the rookie wage scale determines the contract.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Still unsigned.  Not sure what the hold up is, the rookie wage scale determines the contract.

Probably offset language. Unless there is something else with injury guarantees. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Probably offset language. Unless there is something else with injury guarantees. 

There's gotta a ton of injury stuff in his contract.  I want to love Dickerson  but I really think regarding serious injuries and him the question isn't if it happens again it's when.  Even if the Eagles had an amazing medical/training/strength staff it still wouldn't help him.  

Fingers crossed we can get 5 good years out of him.

48 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Davion Taylor, Joe Ostman.

I think Taylor will have a terrible camp but look better in actual pre-season action.  

1 hour ago, Saltpeter said:

Dude's been "talking to personnel people around the National Football League" since the leather helmet days.

Every other sentence he utters in his podcast is about his NFL sources.  

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Jason Peters? 

If you want play to play stability, Dillard will probably win.
If you want more splash plays and clean wins, Mailata will probably win.

Given that Hurts is a mobile QB, I'd lean Mailata. Hurts escape out of the trouble while Mailata continues to develop.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Devonta Smith, obviously.  

I agree with this, but I was excluding him in the original post. I'd imagine guys like he, Goedert, Sanders and Hurts are likely going to get fluffed.

I'm talking more so the guys that suck...like Maddox....or Reagor.

13 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Just gotta add the music.  

@1:23 how much did Smith weigh? He was lifted up so damn high lol

52 minutes ago, RLC said:

If you want play to play stability, Dillard will probably win.
If you want more splash plays and clean wins, Mailata will probably win.

Given that Hurts is a mobile QB, I'd lean Mailata. Hurts escape out of the trouble while Mailata continues to develop.

The important thing is for the QB to develop... so play to play, knowing what he is going to have in front of him is more important.  Dillard will have every opportunity to prove that's who he is.  Mailata, on the other hand, will also have a chance to continue to improve and prove himself in TC and the PS.   But, best outcome is for both to prove they can play at a high level and this team can move on from Lane Johnson after this season.  He's been great, but won't be even close to that when this team is ready to compete.  Time to rip off that bandaid and move on from Johnson, Brooks and Kelce after this season.  It will be a sad change, but a necessary one.  They will need to prove that they leanred something from the Jason Peters debacle of the last 2 years.  Jason was great, but the time to move on came after 2018.  They missed the boat on that, due to excessive loyalty to the past and past accomplishments.

6 hours ago, greend said:

Heart,  miles and miles of heart!

There goes my herooooooo 

17 hours ago, BigEFly said:

At CB, I am curious to see McPhearson (so much so that people spell both his first and last name right).  I am anxious to see Maddox with competition at slot from Scott. Or will Maddox battle McPhearson for CB2.  Lots of competition for back up roles where ST play will be so important. James v Jacquet, plus Seymour, Hill, Taylor, Hill and Meador.  Can James stay healthy?  They aren’t just playing for a spot on the 53, they are also playing for a PS spot or two and against cut downs after PS.  

At S, can someone taken the next step and win the SS position between Wallace, Andrews, Arnold and Riley?   Is McLeod healthy enough to play and did he lose a step?  Will Harris be functional at FS or is he done?  Does Epps continue to improve?

What will be the opening primary defenses? How will Gannon disguise them?  How will the secondary grow and develop this year?

What excites you about Zachary McFearsen?

Lol... I kid, I kid.   Always exciting to see the new blood on the field for the first time.  I'm hoping that first look makes us hungry to see more, rather than to make us want to look away.   I will say I am excited to see Dickerson on the field as well, but think we'll have to wait for that one.  I just hope that when he does return, it isn't a short stint.

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

There goes my herooooooo 

This reminded me, so let me be the first to venture :offtopic:  Have you guys seen the new Foo Fighters project ??

19 hours ago, bpac55 said:

The best thing about LT is the winner SHOULD be a very good player.  If it's Mailata, then he's making strides and he can continue to learn technique on top of his freak size/strength.

If Dillard wins, he's clearly getting stronger and can be the technician coming in to his own.  

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens to the loser of the battle.  I truly think Driscoll is the perfect swing lineman who can be a backup all over the line.  Does the loser of the battle get traded?  You're going to have a talented player on the bench either way.

I really would love to see them move Driscoll inside and let him learn the full gamet of RG,C, and LG.  I think he would be most effective at C, and wouldn't require a major overhaul to how the OL operates when moving on from Kelce.  (Of course, he's not at the same level of athlete as Jason, but he's the closest we have.)  Allowing Dickerson to move to OG where his strength will be exploited... and a 6'6" center is rather unusual, and leave Seumalo where he is... where he's finally settled in nicely.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The important thing is for the QB to develop... so play to play, knowing what he is going to have in front of him is more important.  Dillard will have every opportunity to prove that's who he is.  Mailata, on the other hand, will also have a chance to continue to improve and prove himself in TC and the PS.   But, best outcome is for both to prove they can play at a high level and this team can move on from Lane Johnson after this season.  He's been great, but won't be even close to that when this team is ready to compete.  Time to rip off that bandaid and move on from Johnson, Brooks and Kelce after this season.  It will be a sad change, but a necessary one.  They will need to prove that they leanred something from the Jason Peters debacle of the last 2 years.  Jason was great, but the time to move on came after 2018.  They missed the boat on that, due to excessive loyalty to the past and past accomplishments.

kelce is gone after this year due to the poison pill in his contract. I think lane and brooks are much harder to move off of due to contract. You’d have to trade/cut lane after June 1st otherwise it’s a huge cap hit and no savings. Actually 7 million more in cap hit before June 1st. and brooks before June 1st is a 15.7 mil cap number and only 3 mil saved until after June 1st where you get 13 mil in cap space. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Because Howie is still here and Dillard was a Howie pick, i believe that Dillard is starting off with a huge advantage that Mailata may not be able to over come. 

Like Dillard has to play TERRIBLE for Howie to admit his mistakes. 

]

Eh…. He shipped wentz after making all the moves to get him and then signing him to a massive extension. So…

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

kelce is gone after this year due to the poison pill in his contract. I think lane and brooks are much harder to move off of due to contract. You’d have to trade/cut lane after June 1st otherwise it’s a huge cap hit and no savings. Actually 7 million more in cap hit before June 1st. and brooks before June 1st is a 15.7 mil cap number and only 3 mil saved until after June 1st where you get 13 mil in cap space. 

Oh, I am well aware of the salary cap issues and how Howie has screwed this team's future.

But it is because of the cap and getting the young guys PT, the time to move on is after 2021, take whatever hit is needed in 2022, and hopefully come into 2023 with a relatively clean cap situation.

Archived