EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

He works for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

It still doesn't mean he has inside info. It wouldn't make sense for the Dolphins to consider Ertz with Gesicki there. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

It still doesn't mean he has inside info. It wouldn't make sense for the Dolphins to consider Ertz with Gesicki there. 

Yes, that is why it says trade offers rejected.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

The article talks about how Howard isn’t happy and wants more money. Where exactly are the Eagles magically going to get the money to fit him under the cap (his base salary is over $12 million this year) and then for some reason give him more money (he is signed through 2024). This reeks of Eagles need a CB and want to trade Ertz so spaghetti meet wall.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Lane Johnson, IF healthy, should not be declining IMO.  At 31 years old he isn't in his prime but he's still a highly productive player and I expect him to continue to perform at the same level he's show he's capable of.

IF he can stay healthy.

Correct... for 2021, he should not be declining.. if he stays healthy.   Then, in 2022, is he declining at 32?  What about 2023, at 33?   That's why you move on after 2021, because you need to clear the space for when he is no longer that player and is declining.  AND, he would be blocking Mailata or Dillard being on the field, according to what I had laid out, which is both Dillard and Mailata show that they are ready.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Lane Johnson, IF healthy, should not be declining IMO.  At 31 years old he isn't in his prime but he's still a highly productive player and I expect him to continue to perform at the same level he's show he's capable of.

IF he can stay healthy.

I have no expectation that Lane is going to stay healthy.  It's possible but I don't think it is likely that he is going to be healthy all season.  I do think he and Brooks could play at a very high level and I am optimistic about the o-line. I could also see Lane missing games because of injuries.  

12 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

The article talks about how Howard isn’t happy and wants more money. Where exactly are the Eagles magically going to get the money to fit him under the cap (his base salary is over $12 million this year) and then for some reason give him more money (he is signed through 2024). This reeks of Eagles need a CB and want to trade Ertz so spaghetti meet wall.

Who would the Saints have to restructure or cut to fit him on the roster too? It just  all sounds made up.  

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Who would the Saints have to restructure or cut to fit him on the roster too? It just  all sounds made up.  

Howard. They have $11-$12M currently. They could restructure him and afford it.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Right... which is why that was an offer that was 'rejected' by the Dolphins.

According to a recent article by

these are reportedly the trade offers the Dolphins have rejected for CB Xavien Howard:

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Correct... for 2021, he should not be declining.. if he stays healthy.   Then, in 2022, is he declining at 32?  What about 2023, at 33?   That's why you move on after 2021, because you need to clear the space for when he is no longer that player and is declining.  AND, he would be blocking Mailata or Dillard being on the field, according to what I had laid out, which is both Dillard and Mailata show that they are ready.

My best case scenario, and a few of us on here, all along has been that Mailata and Dillard show they can be the bookend tackles and the Eagles are set for the next 5-7 years at tackle.  That allows you to move Lane and his contract for hopefully a high draft pick.  

It's going to be interesting to see how Brooks and Johnson hold up this year.  

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

He has been a writer for the Miami Herald then the Florida Sun Sentinel for the past 36 years.  You don't think he could possibly have forged a relationship with the team over 3 decades.

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

My best case scenario, and a few of us on here, all along has been that Mailata and Dillard show they can be the bookend tackles and the Eagles are set for the next 5-7 years at tackle.  That allows you to move Lane and his contract for hopefully a high draft pick.  

It's going to be interesting to see how Brooks and Johnson hold up this year.  

I think you just look to move him and free up the cap space... the draft pick would be the cherry on top.  Howie screwed up with Ertz by holding out for a better pick.   Let's hope he learns from this mistake... we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I have no expectation that Lane is going to stay healthy.  It's possible but I don't think it is likely that he is going to be healthy all season.  I do think he and Brooks could play at a very high level and I am optimistic about the o-line. I could also see Lane missing games because of injuries.  

Outside of last year has he been injured often?  I honestly don't remember it being an issue but I could just be forgetting.  His ankle injury is what we're worried about correct?  

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He has been a writer for the Miami Herald then the Florida Sun Sentinel for the past 36 years.  You don't think he could possibly have forged a relationship with the team over 3 decades.

Most GMs aren't going to tell beat writers inside info, no matter how long they have been employed.  If he were going around telling inside info, then GMs wouldn't want a relationship with him.  The media is going to speculate about any CB in regards to the Eagles due to the Eagles having a need at CB and a lot of draft capital.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think you just look to move him and free up the cap space... the draft pick would be the cherry on top.  Howie screwed up with Ertz by holding out for a better pick.   Let's hope he learns from this mistake... we'll see. 

The Ertz non-trade has been a disaster but I'm not sure Howie learns much from himself.  What would be good return for 32 year old Lane Johnson if he stays healthy and plays to his potential...3rd? Could he be a trade deadline candidate if the Eagles are at the bottom of the division?  Send him to a contender, get a pick.

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Most GMs aren't going to tell beat writers inside info, no matter how long they have been employed.  If he were going around telling inside info, then GMs wouldn't want a relationship with him.  The media is going to speculate about any CB in regards to the Eagles due to the Eagles having a need at CB and a lot of draft capital.

So it has to be the GM ??  No one else who works for the team has info ??

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So it has to be the GM ??  No one else who works for the team has info ??

Most of the time it would be GMs or personnel directors. They would include the coaches if it seemed like a serious possibility.  But, I highly doubt GMs are telling a lot of coaches about all the calls they get or make until it is warranted for them to include the coach or owner.  You can believe the writer if you want to. I tend not to believe it. I don't think Howie wants to pay 10-15 mil for a CB, and a disguntled CB for that matter who just got a raise not long ago,  in the cap situation they are in. 

4 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

That's great....IF he stays healthy.  I'm encouraged by him.  I really think the O-Line can be dominant if healthy. 

Mailata   Dickerson   Kelce   Brooks   Johnson       

I want to see this lineup by mid-season.  I think Dickerson projects better at LG.  Too darn big for center.  Mailata and Dickerson on the left side gives you 6-8 350 and 6-6 330.  That's a huge blind side for Hurts and BOTH ARE NASTY.  Again, so much depends on health but boy they could be impressive. 

Seumalo is steady at LG but man...if you watch the Mailata highlights from last year, SO MANY of his bad reps go hand in hand with Seumalo acting like a turnstile.  

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Most of the time it would be GMs or personnel directors. They would include the coaches if it seemed like a serious possibility.  But, I highly doubt GMs are telling a lot of coaches about all the calls they get or make until it is warranted for them to include the coach or owner.  You can believe the writer if you want to. I tend not to believe it. I don't think Howie wants to pay 10-15 mil for a CB, and a disguntled CB for that matter who just got a raise not long ago,  in the cap situation they are in. 

Are you aware that we are living in the social media age, and people drive deals with information.  Now teams interested know what is not enough of an offer.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

That's great....IF he stays healthy

With all the games he has missed, I think it is relevant to point out how many sacks his replacement gave up.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re trying way to hard.  It’s cute when EglPhn does it because he’s a window-licker.   You’re just an unoriginal dork.  Come up with your own schtick.  

How old do you think I am anyway?   

I don’t have to try I’m always hard…

Don’t know how old you are but if your the same age as you act then you should be dying any moment! 

Just now, downundermike said:

Are you aware that we are living in the social media age, and people drive deals with information.  Now teams interested know what is not enough of an offer.

I don't see how that particular information is going to help Miami's FO.  That information would make Miami look unreasonable.  It would decrease the chance they get calls.  Most teams aren't going to want a guy that just signed a deal for big money and now wants more than 15 million. Also, he had a case of domestic violence. It was dismissed, but that incident would still make teams wary about investing several high picks for him. 

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What pick were they offered? 

2 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

What pick were they offered? 

I don't think you take less than a 3rd for LJ.

34 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I have my doubts. I still think the best chance of value is if a team loses their TE, or their prospects don’t develop, which is likely during TC or the PS and for Ertz that may mean he goes to a contender. Win for both. 

Archived