EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

@Bacarty2 and anyone else calling her a "quitter" or "chicken" etc etc....

I haven't looked into it until now but since posters have been saying "she has no history of mental health issues". 

I did a little research.....

Lie detector test Memes

(That's tongue-in-cheek, btw.  I know most posters are going by what the telecast stated).

But here are the facts:

Here is a look back at all the times Biles has been open about her mental health struggles, including her childhood experiences, living with ADHD and the abuse she suffered at the hands of disgraced gymnastics trainer Larry Nassar:

She was in foster care as a child

Biles was traumatized during her early childhood in Spring, Texas, when her birth mother, Shannon Biles, became unable to care for her and her three siblings. The foursome went in and out of foster care, but Biles was adopted in 2003 by her loving maternal grandfather and his wife. The pair have long encouraged her passion for gymnastics. In her 2016 memoir, "Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, A Life in Balance,” the sportswoman discussed the disruption to her formative years, writing: "my biological mom was suffering from drug and alcohol abuse and she was in and out of jail, I never had mom to run to.”

Her high school peers were bullies

As a teen whose intense training schedule led to peak fitness, she developed somewhat bulky muscles. As a result, Biles was bullied at school. In an appearance on the "Today” show four years ago, she recalled that classmates would make derogatory comments about her athletic figure.

"People would say mean things to me all the time,” she said. "They used to call me a ‘swoldier,’ which didn’t make me feel the best. I wore sweaters or jackets all year to cover my arms.”

She was treated by a sports psychologist at 16

After a poor performance at the 2013 US Classic, Biles’ confidence plummeted. She consulted Houston-based sports psychologist Robert B. Andrews, who helped her manage her nerves and use her excitement to improve her skills.

"After working with Robert, I was able to recover and get my confidence back,” she said in a joint interview with Andrews in 2014. The expert also taught her ways to "calm down” after competing. "I found that I was getting too intense,” Biles admitted. "Working with Robert also helped ease my fears and I found more confidence.”

Her ADHD diagnosis was made public by hackers

In 2016, hackers managed to access Biles’ health records and released unauthorized, previously unknown details about her mental health. They exposed her as having ADHD, a condition for which she was prescribed medication.

Biles came out fighting, taking to Twitter to explain she was not cowed by the diagnosis. She defiantly posted: "Having ADHD, and taking medicine for it is nothing to be ashamed of, nothing that I’m afraid to let people know.”

SHE POSTED THIS 5 YEARS AGO:

Discussing the disorder in an NPR interview, Biles said: "At a very young age, I didn’t realize what the diagnosis was. But it was a very good outing for me to get some energy out and then come home tired, do some homework and go to bed easier.” She added that she never saw it as a disability: "Other kids have it as well. And it’s just we’re more active and hyper than them, and I never think of that as a downfall. If anything, I see it as a cool thing ’cause, like, we have more energy.”

In 2018, Biles revealed she was one of the more than 100 female gymnasts who accused team doctor Larry Nassar of molestation.

Besides saying the abuse brought about suicidal thoughts, she released a lengthy statement on her social media platforms. It was posted the day before a sentencing hearing at which Vassar heard victim impact statements.

"Most of you know me as a happy, giggly and energetic girl. But lately … I’ve felt a bit broken and the more I try to shut off the voice in my head the louder it screams,” Biles wrote.

If 2018 wasn’t bad enough, Biles endured another family crisis. Tevin Biles Thomas, the golden girl’s older brother, was charged in the fatal shooting of three people at a New Year’s Eve party in Cleveland, Ohio. He was ultimately acquitted this spring after a judge agreed with defense lawyers that there was insufficient evidence to justify a guilty verdict.

Like many athletes with their hearts set on competing in the 2020 Olympics, Biles’ dreams were dashed when the country locked down in March 2020.

In an interview with Glamour, Biles "sat idle” for seven weeks and became depressed and thought of quitting.

"I wanted to give up,” Biles told the mag. "But it would have been dumb because I’ve worked way too hard.”

https://nypost.com/article/history-of-simone-biles-mental-health-issues/

So to summarize:

- Diagnosed with ADHD as a child, then it was made public by hackers so she had to live with the stigma of having a disorder, which lead to other issues.

- Bullied as a child.  (Anyone who has ever been bullied as a child knows that type of stuff can stick with you for a long time and can lead to other issues as well).

- She was traumatized as a young child because her Mom was a drug addict, in and out of jail, etc and couldn't take care of her so she was forced to go into foster care and live without her mother growing up as a child.  

- Dealt with both depression and confidence issues.

- She WENT TO A PSYCHOLOGIST for her mental health issues and the treatment helped her "regain her confidence".

- She came out and stated she was sexually abused by Larry Nassar

Now tell me again how she "chickened out"? 

Despite everything she went through, she still became an Olympian.  How many people would have led much different lives had they gone through what she went through?  Most?  Probably. 

And behold there is a portion of media and fans calling this young lady a "quitter".  Granted, they might not be informed but if they are going to debate something like this, best to do their own due diligence before labeling an Olympic level athlete a "quitter".  Because there's ZERO chance you can make the Olympics if you're a "quitter"....you need the complete opposite mentality to get to that level.  She had that AND much more, especially when you realize everything she went through to get to that level. 

If making the Olympics is a 1 in 50 million chance for most people/athletes (who don't t have any major issues growing up)  what were her odds to become an Olympic athlete after going through (at least) a half dozen major, traumatizing, life changing events as a child? 

ONE of those events is enough to ruin someone for life, let alone 6.  She quite easily is a 1 in a billion athlete and human being, imo. 

You made a lot of false equivelancies in this post.  

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Someone should tell Wentz that the vaccine prevents interceptions.

And fumbles.  

2 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Every part of the bolded sentence. I think even doctors are saying the efficacy, not efficiency is lower against the Delta variant.

Yes, it's lower...around 85%. I included that in my numbers. 

And we're both sort of wrong.  I should have used "effectiveness".  Efficacy, effective and efficient are closely related.  Efficacy is used (mostly) when discussing trials, etc...but in real-world scenarios, "effectiveness" is used more often...and efficiency means both how effective it is and whether or not it's "worth it" in a real world scenario.  (Cost effective, ease of distribution etc).  I think I may have known this somewhere in the back of my mind but I had to look it up....thanks for pointing it out.  :Eagle_smiley:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/effectiveness-vs-efficacy-vs-efficiency-when-to-use-each-word-for-the-best-results/

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't know, nor do I pretend to know.  But I can tell you that the folks I am talking about are still wearing masks and following 'the protocols', with no need to do so.  If it's true that his wife is pregnant again, and he has another small child at home, he might be doing that to protect his family.  In that situation, I would, too. 

As for the choice not to answer "yes"... by saying "yes", he alienates those teammates (and there are quite a few by reports) that have chosen not to be vaccinated.  By saying, "its a personal decision", he is validating those who were vaccinated and those who chose not to be vaccinated.  #leadership?   

I get all that, but still, he's giving a PC wearing a mask. There are reporters there but they aren't in his face, they are distanced far away enough that he cannot get it and no one is around him. At this moment, Cole Beasley, who we know is absolutely not vaccinated, is giving a PC wearing a mask, with reporters, and no one around him. 

This is not in anyway meant to bash mask wearing while vaccinated. I think everyone should do what makes them feel comfortable. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He's referring to himself in the third person now. 

EagleJoe hates when people do that. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I get all that, but still, he's giving a PC wearing a mask. There are reporters there but they aren't in his face, they are distanced far away enough that he cannot get it and no one is around him. At this moment, Cole Beasley, who we know is absolutely not vaccinated, is giving a PC wearing a mask, with reporters, and no one around him. 

This is not in anyway meant to bash mask wearing while vaccinated. I think everyone should do what makes them feel comfortable. 

Sure he is... and maybe its just easier to keep it on than to pull it off, put it on, pull it off... my wife would get into the car after we'd go grocery shopping and the mask would remain on... just because she forgot about it.   There's a lot of tea leaf reading going on here.  I get why, because of the fear of losing out on a first round pick versus a second round pick.   And that is the most important thing here.  

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Midwest… not so much. 

In NC, at the Harris Teeter people wear masks but at the Food Lion not so much I mean at least in the more urban areas.  In the rural areas, you probably just get more looks if you're in a mask. 

11 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Wentz not playing 75% of snaps this season because of a positive test and costing the Eagles a first rounder would be something. 

And, his HC has covid now. So, not a great sign when your new starting QB who is supposed to be the team leader isn't on board with getting vaccinated.  

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

For those of us who didn’t listened.  Can someone provide some bullet points of the presser?  Please and thank you.  

*Right

*We here to compete and get better

*Gains

*Everyones competing, don't have to name a QB until we play Atlanta

Just now, CaliEagle said:

And, his HC has covid now. So, not a great sign when your new starting QB who is supposed to be the team leader isn't on board with getting vaccinated.  

speculation?

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

th?id=OIP.WUT9RoWdbQuLj8vyloIyLQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=223&h=165

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Technically, isn't he following the new mandates? If you are in an enclosed area, and you don't know the vaccination status, wear a mask. In reality, people should ask players why they aren't wearing a mask indoors. (according to the new rules)

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

You made a lot of false equivelancies in this post.  

Care to point them out?  The first part of the post was basically a news article and I summarized it.  The last part, especially the numbers, etc were mostly my opinion based off the article and the information we have.  

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

For those of us who didn’t listened.  Can someone provide some bullet points of the presser?  Please and thank you.  

Per Sirianni...

- We're wasting our time with Hurts.
 - Smith dropped a ball, so we're moving him to third string.
 - I couldn't stop laughing at Ertz' hair color.
 - Dillard and Mailata keeping LT warm for Le'Raven Clark.
 - I saw the guys on defense running around, so whatever.
 - Howie is the best GM in the league.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

speculation?

Yeah, I'm speculating. But, most people say "yes" when they are asked if they are vaccinated because they understand why it is important and they aren't afraid to answer the question.

When you listen to the entire quote, I take it is that he does not want to make himself seem better than others for being vaccinated as it is a personal decision.  First thing he says " The Covid situation is real "

2 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Technically, isn't he following the new mandates? If you are in an enclosed area, and you don't know the vaccination status, wear a mask. In reality, people should ask players why they aren't wearing a mask indoors. (according to the new rules)

I think the PCs are in a tent outside.

Just now, downundermike said:

When you listen to the entire quote, I take it is that he does not want to make himself seem better than others for being vaccinated as it is a personal decision.  First thing he says " The Covid situation is real "

After listening to it, I think you are right. He also SHOULD be wearing a mask IAW the new guidelines. 

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"Jimmy's new in town".  One of the very best Seinfeld episodes; soon it will be banned by the vocal minority

5 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

It's outdoors and any reporter there is required to be vaccinated. 

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Yeah, I'm speculating. But, most people say "yes" when they are asked if they are vaccinated because they understand why it is important and they aren't afraid to answer the question.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Seems to me that he recognizes the need to not alienate teammates who didn't get vaccinated.    But let's look at the important stuff... look at his wrists.  What wristbands is he wearing?

14 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-severe-covid-cases-could-reach-400-by-mid-august-researchers-warn/

The messaging from the CDC, US government, and media has been horrendous. 

The CDC and NIH are made up of scientists that are used to: 

1) writing papers at the end of research as opposed to releasing potential updates in scientific knowledge without multiple studies;

2) communicating their findings to other scientists with baseline knowledge in the subject;

3) taking time In studying diseases and reporting their findings;

4) understanding that scientific knowledge is fluid as we gain knowledge and even refute past understanding (for example, the on and off again suggestion that formaldehyde is a carcinogen, or more widely known, the same for saccharin - for all you former Tab drinkers.)

When working, because I handled at one point latent injury and exposure claims and maintained an interest, I subscribed to NIH (National Institutes of Health), NIEHS (National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences) and NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) publications and read abstracts for papers of interest as well as to see what research was being done for nominations to the Biennial Report on Carcinogens from the National Toxicology Program.  The methods of reporting really aren’t designed for this.   Now, the CDC, which is charged with control and prevention of disease needs to get better at this.  I think the person I see on the news is doing a decent job.

Check out these weekly reports from the CDC as a good example of the type of reporting they do.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/index2021.html

Archived