EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I disagree. I think Smith can be electric as a punt returner. Let him make plays. It's what he does. That's why he was drafted. To be a playmaker. Outside of Sanders and potentially Reagor, the Eagles don't really have guys who can make splash plays.

Get Herbig near a pool... and that boy can make some splash plays.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

True.  But, many athletes don't.  And don't realize just how little $8M really is while living that life style... and that signing for $8M does not mean you get paid $8M.  Uncle Sam takes a giant bite out of that $8M... 

tenor.gif?itemid=5866474

They could, maybe, not "live that lifestyle".

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think this season will tell us whether Howie really is a bad judge of players, or a horrible judge of coaches.  I think ultimately it may be a little of column A sprinkled with some column B, but Pederson seems to have done nothing with any draft pick that wasn't already starting talent or immediately handed to Jeff Stoutland, so it'll be interesting to see if players like Taylor and Wallace have made progress in a few weeks with the new staff.

To be fair on Taylor, he was always projected as a project who probably wouldn't do anything until year 2. I take the general point though. Be interesting to see if the coaching staff do a better job, especially with the likes of Wallace, Reagor and JJAW etc.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Already off to a great start.  Did not like the pick due to injury history, and now this.

Wow, what an overreaction. The instant Dickerson was drafted, he was targeted for the NFI list. This is not some new revelation, nor is it a setback. It's been known the whole time.

48 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

yeah he brought a walmart bag in and took all the wings and chicken strips

j-photo-u1.jpg

Just now, dawkdaballhawk said:

Of course, they could.  Many don't because they don't believe it will only be $8M... they think that the first $8M is just the beginning of the windfall of a 10+ year career... endorsement deals, etc.   That's why things like the rookie symposium is so important and why the first thing that NFL teams should do with their players is hook them up with a reputable financial planner.  Sadly, there are also far too many people out there just looking to take advantage of these 20ish year old kids.   

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Really?  You think that $8M is more than a guy can run through?   Allen Iverson blew through over $200M.

$8 million is a lot of money no matter who you are.  

You can take that money and be smart with it, invest, save, etc.  Or you can blow it on your family, long lost cousins, 5 houses, 8 cars, 30 gold Mr. T chains, etc.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course, they could.  Many don't because they don't believe it will only be $8M... they think that the first $8M is just the beginning of the windfall of a 10+ year career... endorsement deals, etc.   That's why things like the rookie symposium is so important and why the first thing that NFL teams should do with their players is hook them up with a reputable financial planner.  Sadly, there are also far too many people out there just looking to take advantage of these 20ish year old kids.   

Too bad the big money can't be put into some kind of trust/retirement account. On the one hand, it would be good for the player. On the other hand, it is their money.

7 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Bingo.  

Just now, 315Eagles said:

$8 million is a lot of money no matter who you are.  

You can take that money and be smart with it, invest, save, etc.  Or you can blow it on your family, long lost cousins, 5 houses, 8 cars, 30 gold Mr. T chains, etc.

I am not debating that $8M is a lot of money.  I am saying that it is not inconceivable that a 24 year old draftee from a poor background might be able to run through it very quickly... Saying he earned $8M and should have money left to feed his family is wonderful, but it ignores the reality that many don't plan ahead with their money.  I didn't make nearly as much money as that, would consider myself to be an intelligent individual, but when I first got out of high school... I started to ring up a lot of debt during college and early part of my career, because I could.  Credit was easy to come by and I "needed" a lot of things.  So, I bought them.   Here I am at 43, having spent the last 15 years diligently working to dig myself out of that debt that I saddled around my neck.  I just paid off the last of that debt a few months ago.   Many Americans, not just athletes, live well above their means in order to 'keep up with the Joneses'.  

$8M is a lot of money, and should be enough that if properly planned, he'd have enough money to not need to work another day... but that $8M, wasn't really $8M either... it was likely closer to $4M.  Which is still a lot of money, but not nearly as much as $8M.  And its just that much easier to squander, especially if one doesn't know that an $8M contract won't really be $8M in cash.

3 minutes ago, dawkdaballhawk said:

Too bad the big money can't be put into some kind of trust/retirement account. On the one hand, it would be good for the player. On the other hand, it is their money.

Agreed.  People have the right to be stupid.  I was.  I learned the hard way.  Fortunately when I figured it out, most of my earning potential was still very much ahead of me.   That's not the case for many athletes.

5 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Bingo.  

Of course.  That doesn't change the fact that many athletes don't pay attention to their money, and spend it needlessly and end up in financial trouble.   Others get taken advantage of.   It has happened to plenty.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That was all blocking, nothing special on the return.

He didn't fair catch it like Greg Ward... or signal for the fair catch and then let it bounce.  So, he did something our current PR couldn't do.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I am not debating that $8M is a lot of money.  I am saying that it is not inconceivable that a 24 year old draftee from a poor background might be able to run through it very quickly... Saying he earned $8M and should have money left to feed his family is wonderful, but it ignores the reality that many don't plan ahead with their money.  I didn't make nearly as much money as that, would consider myself to be an intelligent individual, but when I first got out of high school... I started to ring up a lot of debt during college and early part of my career, because I could.  Credit was easy to come by and I "needed" a lot of things.  So, I bought them.   Here I am at 43, having spent the last 15 years diligently working to dig myself out of that debt that I saddled around my neck.  I just paid off the last of that debt a few months ago.   Many Americans, not just athletes, live well above their means in order to 'keep up with the Joneses'.  

$8M is a lot of money, and should be enough that if properly planned, he'd have enough money to not need to work another day... but that $8M, wasn't really $8M either... it was likely closer to $4M.  Which is still a lot of money, but not nearly as much as $8M.  And its just that much easier to squander, especially if one doesn't know that an $8M contract won't really be $8M in cash.

While I agree with you these athletes are still men and should be educated about this stuff.  There have been countless examples of athletes blowing their money.  You'd think most would learn by now.....and maybe they are.  Maybe it's just a small portion compared to 10 years ago.  

4 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

While I agree with you these athletes are still men and should be educated about this stuff.  There have been countless examples of athletes blowing their money.  You'd think most would learn by now.....and maybe they are.  Maybe it's just a small portion compared to 10 years ago.  

It might be.  But, it still exists and $8M is a tiny sum to blow compared to the fortunes others have squandered.

Just now, dawkdaballhawk said:

Maybe he shouldn't do it

That can happen on any play though.   

45 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

In fairness my dad still takes some fo the continental breakfast back to his room when he stays in hotels to eat for later. So my dad would support Benjamin doing this. 

lol

That's actually pretty normal.  Some folks prefer eating their breakfast back in their rooms, etc.  And if you have kids, it usually works out better that way anyway.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Is that what we are doing this year ?? Butchering first names.

It’s a Philadelphian thing 

3 hours ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Just put in my order for pickup at Franklins

I'm sorry, but I didn't get that order for you.

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

thats the problem.. the lifestyle. 

fat fingered it trying to capitalize the V(which is dumb) some of these names...smfh

I mean, I know your post was so long, but you don't proof read what you post ??

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Is that what we are doing this year ?? Butchering first names.

D'onta Smiths

Archived