EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

29 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don’t think it’s a bad example at all.

Depression/suicide/anxiety awareness, understanding, empathy…all important.

As far as I have heard…she does not suffer from a mental health disorder.  My suspicion is that she didn’t have her A game and she wanted to preserve herself for her individual competitions.  I wonder how her teammates feel about losing their chance at a gold medal because she didn’t feel like it?  

Everyone supports mental health, but I think we might want to stop short of applauding our highest level competitors for bowing out of a team event because they mentally weren’t up for it…that gets celebrities called inspirational and gets 95% of real people fired from their jobs.

She is part of a team and realized she wasn’t in a good place to compete so she benched herself and let the next person step up.  Perhaps all the expectations of her had an impact.  Sometimes we put too much on young athletes expecting too much.  I respect her from realizing her situation.  Look at Brandon Brooks and his struggles with anxiety.  It is very real.  If you get fired for admitting to being overcome with anxiety and recognizing it is hampering your team’s performance, you have a lousy employer. Our whole EAP was targeted to help employees.  

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watson and Rodgers have been the focus lately for potential QBs on the move. I look at next year's draft and not much excites me on the QB front. If Hurts struggles, are there any viable dark-horse QBs that might become available by next year? Maybe Russell Wilson will be added to the mix again? 

16 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I guess we will be seeing a lot of this between Eagles/Colts (or Wentz) fans this year...

Indy fans are going to go from watching one of the all-time great QBs who always worked on his mechanics to another QB who just wants to live for the next throw and "get em next time". Hope they enjoy watching a corkscrew delivery/high throws...bad footwork...not planting his feet towards the receiver he is throwing to, etc.  

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Indy fans are going to go from watching one of the all-time great QBs who always worked on his mechanics to another QB who just wants to live for the next throw and "get em next time". Hope they enjoy watching a corkscrew delivery/high throws...bad footwork...not planting his feet towards the receiver he is throwing to, etc.  

But at least he acknowledges the fumbles are his fault. Work on it? No. But takes the blame really well.

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Fascinated by this Biles Olympic news.  I, naturally, have a highly contrarian opinion.  Curious what everyone else thinks…

My wife is a mental health professional that works at a university, and though she doesn't work directly with athletes( they have 1 therapist specifically for that) she works with the student body and does therapy with students.

The local media wanted to question the therapist in charge of athlete's at the University about her thoughts on Simone biles.

She declined though her boss also my wife's boss is encouraging her to meet with media and give a statement.

My wife actually just a few minutes ago got off the phone with her boss.

My wife's opinion is that it's sad that people would question biles and her motivation and applauds her for saying she needs to take a mental health break. She said,

Often people do the same In other jobs except they tell their boss they are sick, would the media rather Simone biles say she had a stomach ache.???

Biles has proven to have top notch work ethic and discipline so she should be given the benefit of the doubt and of she feels she needs to take care of her mental health who are we as observers to question her...

Personally not speaking for my wife I say good for Biles taking her mental Health seriously and have the courage to do so in the face of those who would and have questioned her doing so.

3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Reich will know how to manage him. Wentz actually respects frank

And didn’t like Flip because he rode him.  It seems like he likes Reich’s offense because he succeeded in it once and Press because he can ignore his instruction.  But fix his flaws, no thanks, he will just admit to them.

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

I played division 1 tennis in college and attempted a brief stint on the satellite circuit before my dad kicked me out of the house.  Because of this, I legitimately thought I was the greatest table tennis player on the planet.  Nobody could beat me. Then I went with a client of mine to an underground table tennis group at the Hawthorne rec center in Charlotte, and there were about 20 tables set up in 2 rows.  Every single person in the room looked just like these Olympians. I might have peed my pants.  Still not sure to this day. 

This sounds remarkably similar to the movie "Balls of Fire"

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Fascinated by this Biles Olympic news.  I, naturally, have a highly contrarian opinion.  Curious what everyone else thinks…

I find it curious that they interviewed her during the Olympics about the team doctor/ pedophile incident. Possibly that brought something on. Things like that which happen to children can get buried deep and come out at the worst time. 

18 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

How F-ed did you get at State Paddy’s day?  

Was there for fall semester. I think I went to state patty’s day one year during undergrad at lock Haven? Don’t really remember but I got f-Ed up a lot in my twenties 

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He retired.  He wasn’t fired.  And he damn sure wasn’t fired for cause.   And if he was, then of course the Head Coach of the football program would make sure he wasn’t allowed back in the building.  

Yeah. Paterno.  Stepped in a s fired the guy.  But said, sure.  Let him still have a key to the buildings.  

I lived in the area and was at State College a ton as that ish was going down.  Of course Paterno would have the ability to tell security that a "fired” coach isn’t  allowed back anymore because he F kids.  You make this too easy.  JFC

I take it back.  You def seem like a PSU guy.  Delusional cult like fandom.  

You're getting your timelines confused.  Sandusky was being "propped up" to (potentially) be Paterno's replacement (as head coach) once Paterno retired, as far back as 1995.  Then a rumor surfaced about Sandusky in 1998 and there was an investigation conducted by Penn State police but state prosecutors did not prosecute the case.   Within a year Sandusky was fired. (Aka stepped down).  Do you think that's a coincidence? 

No exempt list for Watson, guess from what the NFL has investigated and interviewed so far, they didn't find anything worth pulling him for.

Could be a go for Week 1 if they don't find anything worthwhile between now and then.

According to Mike Kaye from NJ.com, if the Texans sent Watson to the Eagles, the package would include premium picks and also starters.

Once the legal problems are cleared, a more reasonable price would be two first-round picks and a pair of starting-level players. Eagles fans will rush to add former first-round picks Andre Dillard and Derek Barnett and disgruntled tight end Zach Ertz to any deal, but the Texans likely will want better players. A package that includes Hurts, Ertz and former All-Pro defensive tackle Fletcher Cox shouldn’t be discounted.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

If he were two years younger I'd be all over it for the Eagles.  Not sure he fits the tinelibe though. 

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

No exempt list for Watson, guess from what the NFL has investigated and interviewed so far, they didn't find anything worth pulling him for.

Texans calling his bluff.  Come and play.  What’s he going to do?  Refuse and further vilify himself with a fan base that now becomes his potential jurors?  After all, they also hired a black coach for him.  

Now, if everything suddenly goes away, then the whole McNair and his neighbor Buzbee conspiracy theory looks more grounded.  Fact Buzbee wants a confidentiality clause kind of lends fuel to that fire.  I rarely saw an objection to a confidentiality agreement by a plaintiff.  We would negotiate one that allowed the lawyer to brag about the settlement but limit what could be said and hamstring his client.  Only reason Buzbee wants it is to hide how small the settlement is.  Only thing that makes sense after the judge required the plaintiffs to identify themselves.  

So is this whole thing including the ridiculous trade compensation demands just a tool McNair used to force Watson to reconsider his trade demand?  Who knows?  But we do know from Bob Kraft that the NFL doesn’t punish proposition of a masseuse. 

30 minutes ago, greend said:

I find it curious that they interviewed her during the Olympics about the team doctor/ pedophile incident. Possibly that brought something on. Things like that which happen to children can get buried deep and come out at the worst time. 

41 minutes ago, Utebird said:

My wife is a mental health professional that works at a university, and though she doesn't work directly with athletes( they have 1 therapist specifically for that) she works with the student body and does therapy with students.

The local media wanted to question the therapist in charge of athlete's at the University about her thoughts on Simone biles.

She declined though her boss also my wife's boss is encouraging her to meet with media and give a statement.

My wife actually just a few minutes ago got off the phone with her boss.

My wife's opinion is that it's sad that people would question biles and her motivation and applauds her for saying she needs to take a mental health break. She said,

Often people do the same In other jobs except they tell their boss they are sick, would the media rather Simone biles say she had a stomach ache.???

Biles has proven to have top notch work ethic and discipline so she should be given the benefit of the doubt and of she feels she needs to take care of her mental health who are we as observers to question her...

Personally not speaking for my wife I say good for Biles taking her mental Health seriously and have the courage to do so in the face of those who would and have questioned her doing so.

To a certain extent, I am being devil's advocate...but what do you think the response would be if Tom Brady sat out last year's SB?  You think the TB fans and teammates would applaud him taking his mental health seriously?  

This isn't her first Olympics either.  She's already done it all, won it all, signed all the endorsements...I just find it unusual.

Wow, CDC says breakthrough cases of the Delta variant can carry a viral load enough to be contagious.  Sounds like just vaccinations may not be enough to protect an immunity compromised individual as Riviera.  I wonder if in a month we see full stadiums.  

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Wow, CDC says breakthrough cases of the Delta variant can carry a viral load enough to be contagious.  Sounds like just vaccinations may not be enough to protect an immunity compromised individual as Riviera.  I wonder if in a month we see full stadiums.  

Ive held off on buying any eagles tickets. Im not sure Im going to be comfortable being packed in between screaming fans. 

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

To a certain extent, I am being devil's advocate...but what do you think the response would be if Tom Brady sat out last year's SB?  You think the TB fans and teammates would applaud him taking his mental health seriously?  

This isn't her first Olympics either.  She's already done it all, won it all, signed all the endorsements...I just find it unusual.

Don’t you recall Barret Robbins, the Raiders center that disappeared on the eve of the Super Bowl?  That was mental health related.

And McNabb puking?  

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Ive held off on buying any eagles tickets. Im not sure Im going to be comfortable being packed in between screaming fans. 

I get that.  I was on a plane for the first time in a year and a half this past weekend.  I was double masked and I am vaccinated.  Now I was visiting a lot of my cousins and spouses and my last surviving uncle, who is 95 and wanted to be safe as I could for him.  The closeness of all those people, even masked, was a bit uncomfortable.  I don’t see myself in a stadium this year. 

25 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Couple things, Men and women in sports are treated differently as are stigmas about mental health regarding men and women, the stigma being it's a sign of weakness and as football is a physically tough sport a football player citing mental health as a concern would be looked at more unfavorable than say a female table tennis player.

Ask Shawn Andrews, he was obliterated in the media and by his own team even after bei g diagnosed with bi polar.

Secondly tom brady gets paid million s of dollars to play, Biles as an amateur only gets paid what she gets from endorsements.

So a little different there as well.

Having said that I think as more and more high profile athletes and people take a stand to take their mental health seriously the less stigma there will be behind it.

It's easy to sit some one down give them some time off when they are physically hurt/injured yet mental health isn't as visually obvious yet still unchecked can lead to future problems.

I'd assume most teams employ a sports phycologist and and I think those professionals can be as beneficial as say a masseuse or physical therapist in maintaining a players health, the question is whether or not majority of players take advantage of mental health professionals provided them or they declined due to the stigma behind seeking mental health care as a weakness 

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I get that.  I was on a plane for the first time in a year and a half this past weekend.  I was double masked and I am vaccinated.  Now I was visiting a lot of my cousins and spouses and my last surviving uncle, who is 95 and wanted to be safe as I could for him.  The closeness of all those people, even masked, was a bit uncomfortable.  I don’t see myself in a stadium this year. 

I've been back to work since last July.  I've probably been in front of around 3000+ guests in that time frame plus dozens of co-workers.  Didn't have much of the choice in the matter....the bills keep coming and need to get paid.  Wore a mask up until about a month ago when the company I work for released the mask mandate for vaccinated employees.  It is what it is at this point, imo.  The vaccine is available to anyone who wants it in the U.S. and the treatments for those who get sick are better than ever.

Although there seems to be a mild spike in cases the mortality rates are very low.  Sooner or later we need to move forward as a country, imo.  Colds, flu's etc have been around since the dawn of mankind.  Covid was a nasty one and caught the world by surprise but, imo, we need to start treating this like the severe flu/virus it is at this point (in the U.S.) and stop treating it like the bubonic plague.  It's no longer a "pandemic" in the U.S. and people have a choice to get vaccinated with close to a 95% immunity rate.  And even if there is a "pass through" chance of getting it, the vaccinated folks typically have much milder symptoms than those not vaccinated.  

But I get the "fear" some folks have....it's all we've been hearing about for the past 18+ months....so I get it.  But like I said, the current state of the virus and the "level of fear" is unwarranted, imo.  That's not saying to put your guard down.  Always maintain good hygene, wash hands, etc because you don't want a cold or ear infection either, etc. 

Now if you refuse to get vaccinated, that's your choice but please don't make others feel uncomfortable if they are vaccinated and not wearing masks.  It's your choice not to get vaccinated but knowing there are vaccines available and endorsed by the vast majority of doctors in the country, then that's on you, imo.

My 2 cent update on the matter.  🙂 

Conspiracy theory: wonder if russia bribed or blackmailed her

plus wtf is banning russia if you are still going to let the cheaters compete? If you ate going to ban them then ban them

Archived