EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Rather have Howie

If you believe Adam Caplan he repeatedly said Eagles refuse to do deals without offset language included in them 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I wouldn't just take Doug's word for it. He wanted to put Alshon back in and he could've been looking for a reason to justify it.  We really don't know one way or the other.

I am not looking to Doug’s words. The work ethic stuff comes from his stops before Philly. 

11 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Rather have Howie

I suspect the delay with Dickerson because of his injury history revolves around offset language. 

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I guess Cobb really is getting traded to GB. 

I’m surprised cooks didn’t ask Cobb to take him with. 

4 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Don’t need to be lights out to beat out anyone aside from Smith on that squad 

Agreed. Reachgor will be easy to beat out. Watkins might make it interesting for Fulgham. I still think Fulgham will start opposite of Smith

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts has been discussed to death around here for over a year, since the 2020 draft.  And after 1 year of discussion, with a handful of games as additional fuel, no one can say one damn nice thing about Hurts as a passer.

Its all about leadership, attitude, character, and mobility.  When you have to lead with those things to hype a prospect…warning…warning…he might suck.

Say what you will about him, the kid threw for 340 yards in consecutive games with only one NFL start under his belt - at age 22.  I'm far from sold myself but he showed me more as a passer last year than I expected.  

The Eagles can get away with demanding off-set language, because we've shown that we're willing to do extensions early. 

3 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Agreed. Reachgor will be easy to beat out. Watkins might make it interesting for Fulgham. I still think Fulgham will start opposite of Smith

I’m excited for Smith and Watkins. I’m intrigued by Reagor and Fulgham. Couldn’t care less about any of the rest of them. I guess Ward is an okay backup at slot but he’s hit his ceiling already.

11 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

I’m excited for Smith and Watkins. I’m intrigued by Reagor and Fulgham. Couldn’t care less about any of the rest of them. I guess Ward is an okay backup at slot but he’s hit his ceiling already.

Agreed. Hightower looks like he's headed to the practice squad and JJAW looks to be gone. Although I won't be surprised if he's not. Ward is meh. Not sure he's even worth mentioning anymore. Reachgor should do better in the slot position

5 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

Say what you will about him, the kid threw for 340 yards in consecutive games with only one NFL start under his belt - at age 22.  I'm far from sold myself but he showed me more as a passer last year than I expected.  

Bahahahahaha

20 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I guess Cobb really is getting traded to GB. 

I still can't believe that rumor was actually true

14 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Don’t need to be lights out to beat out anyone aside from Smith on that squad 

Smith starter at X

Reagor starter at Z

Ward - slot

Then JJAW likely backup at X or moved over to TE

Then it’s between Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower and anyone else in camp for the 5th spot.  If two excel in camp I can see them keeping 6 WR’s on the roster.  

32 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I suspect the delay with Dickerson because of his injury history revolves around offset language. 

Can you explain why players would have an issue with offset language? It's my very limited understanding that the way it works is if a player is cut within the first four years of his contract, whatever money that was guaranteed is still owed to him. The offset occurs when the player signs with a new team, and whatever he signs for is subtracted from what the original team owes. That could be a wrong interpretation, but that's how I understand it. 

So if the player is cut and doesn't sign with a new team, the old team still owes all the guaranteed money. So why would a player care if the old team or the new team is paying? Does that affect the cap? I guess if that's the case it could matter. But also, for top picks like Wilson, it's extremely unlikely he'd be cut in the first four years anyway, unless he's just completely terrible. 

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Can you explain why players would have an issue with offset language? It's my very limited understanding that the way it works is if a player is cut within the first four years of his contract, whatever money that was guaranteed is still owed to him. The offset occurs when the player signs with a new team, and whatever he signs for is subtracted from what the original team owes. That could be a wrong interpretation, but that's how I understand it. 

So if the player is cut and doesn't sign with a new team, the old team still owes all the guaranteed money. So why would a player care if the old team or the new team is paying? Does that affect the cap? I guess if that's the case it could matter. But also, for top picks like Wilson, it's extremely unlikely he'd be cut in the first four years anyway, unless he's just completely terrible. 

Because if there is no offset language in the deal the player can get cut, collect all the money from his old team, sign somewhere else and get all the money from his new team.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Because if there is no offset language in the deal the player can get cut, collect all the money from his old team, sign somewhere else and get all the money from his new team.

Ahhh that's what I missing. That makes a lot more sense then. Thank you. 

1 minute ago, greend said:

Anyone get injured walking into camp yet?

Just you old timer!

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

ODU.  No such thing as OD.  JFC

Not true, I heard it at this game

Rick Dennison got a consultant gig with the Vikings. I wonder if he threatened to sue.

12 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Ahhh that's what I missing. That makes a lot more sense then. Thank you. 

Just you old timer!

It's really just a fight over a slimmer of leverage. The team wants it incase the guy is a bust so they will have an easier time moving on from them. The player and agent doesn't want it because they then get two bites at the apple. If Lawrence and Fields don't have it, then the agent/player for Lance and Wilson aren't going to budge. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Good for Ertz. Has always been and still is a class act. 

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, real class act last season.  Stand up guy who gave maximum effort.  :roll:

Down year for him for sure.  Pretty sure he was banged up and hurting most of the season. 

Yea, his effort was piss poor last year. He acted like a kid in toys r us after being told he couldn't get a toy. I don't hate the guy for it because of all the good memories he gave us but I'd like to move on now

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Yea, his effort was piss poor last year. He acted like a kid in toys r us after being told he couldn't get a toy. I don't hate the guy for it because of all the good memories he gave us but I'd like to move on now

I don't think he intentionally sabotaged his play. I think he let it psychologically get to him though and it impacted his performance.  It wouldn't benefit his value to intentionally stink it up.  Truth is he may need the opportunity with the Eagles now to help him increase his value. He probably sees that he has less value now because teams weren't apparently willing to even give up a mid round pick for him on his current contract.  I think the Eagles are waiting for another team to lose a TE due to injury and they are hoping they can get a 3rd or 4th for him when all is said and done.

Archived