EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, greend said:

Anyone get injured walking into camp yet?

Yes, the whole offensive line and our CB's all got injured........number 1 pick, here we come!

1 hour ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

Say what you will about him, the kid threw for 340 yards in consecutive games with only one NFL start under his belt - at age 22.  I'm far from sold myself but he showed me more as a passer last year than I expected.  

Some of us said nice things about him and even posted highlights.

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I don't think he intentionally sabotaged his play. I think he let it psychologically get to him though and it impacted his performance.  It wouldn't benefit his value to intentionally stink it up. 

This part I agree with you. You could see it on the field, it was fn with his head. I mean he did reject a contract offer from the Eagles. Not sure what he expected, for Howie to come running with an extension worth more then Kelce and Kittle? 

2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

No doubt. You could see it on the field, it was fn with his head. I mean he did reject a contract offer from the Eagles. Not sure what he expected, for Howie to come running with an extension worth more then Kelce and Kittle? 

He was probably mad that the second extension offered was lower than the first one Howie offered that he rejected. But that's his fault. It was middle of the pandemic, and it was known the salary cap for 2021 was going to be in trouble. I don't blame Howie for lowering his offer.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

He was probably mad that the second extension offered was lower than the first one Howie offered. But that's his fault. It was middle of the pandemic, and it was known the salary cap for 2021 was going to be in trouble. I don't blame Howie for lowering his offer.

Me either. For once Howie didn't shoot himself in the foot

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

No doubt. You could see it on the field, it was fn with his head. I mean he did reject a contract offer from the Eagles. Not sure what he expected, for Howie to come running with an extension worth more then Kelce and Kittle? 

He probably let his agent get to his head, too. Most agents will tell their clients they are the best thing since sliced bread. He was a top 5 TE at the time he was pushing for a new deal, but he should've weighed his true value (not as high as Kittle nor Kelce) with his love for playing in Philly and the Eagles overall cap situation. If he loved it here, he should've been willing to just take a top 5 TE deal which was supposedly offered.  I think he expected an unrealistic outcome and when it didn't happen, he didn't deal with it well.  Now, to make matters worse, he isn't a top 5 TE. So, he will end up getting less. I think he will play better this year, but I don't expect him to be a top 5 TE even if we trade him.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pretty sure he could piss on your desk and AceNova would say he was classy for not shitting on it as well.  :wacko:

Come on man, Ertz has always maintained a high character while here.  I’m not sure what happened to him last season but   the entire team seemed to be off or injured for most of the season.  Tough year all around imo 

11 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I don't think he intentionally sabotaged his play. I think he let it psychologically get to him though and it impacted his performance.  It wouldn't benefit his value to intentionally stink it up.  Truth is he may need the opportunity with the Eagles now to help him increase his value. He probably sees that he has less value now because teams weren't apparently willing to even give up a mid round pick for him on his current contract.  I think the Eagles are waiting for another team to lose a TE due to injury and they are hoping they can get a 3rd or 4th for him when all is said and done.

A skills package of Smith, Reagor, Goedert, Ertz and Sanders could be pretty tasty. If we don't get offered at least a conditional 3rd for Ertz, I'm starting the season with him. If he gets back to his 2017-2019 form - he's worth a 3rd at the deadline absolutely.

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

He probably let his agent get to his head, too. Most agents will tell their clients they are the best thing since sliced bread. He was a top 5 TE at the time he was pushing for a new deal, but he should've weighed his true value (not as high as Kittle nor Kelce) with his love for playing in Philly and the Eagles overall cap situation. If he loved it here, he should've been willing to just take a top 5 TE deal which was supposedly offered.  I think he expected an unrealistic outcome and when it didn't happen, he didn't deal with it well.  Now, to make matters worse, he isn't a top 5 TE. So, he will end up getting less. I think he will play better this year, but I don't expect him to be a top 5 TE even if we trade him.

@LeanMeanGM made a good point with negotiating during a pandemic. He's probably a top 10 TE for at least 2 more years. If he's traded I don't see him breaking over 700 yards on any team

I think Ertz has 300 (or more) career catches left in him. He's still a good player and will be above average for a few years after this one. I'm not going to give him away.

Just now, Godfather said:

@LeanMeanGM made a good point with negotiating during a pandemic. He's probably a top 10 TE for at least 2 more years. If he's traded I don't see him breaking over 700 yards on any team

Yep. He's only 29. I think he is a borderline top 10 TE now and some teams could use that.  I don't get why the Jags don't consider him for Lawrence.

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

A skills package of Smith, Reagor, Goedert, Ertz and Sanders could be pretty tasty. If we don't get offered at least a conditional 3rd for Ertz, I'm starting the season with him. If he gets back to his 2017-2019 form - he's worth a 3rd at the deadline absolutely.

It might be awkward though because we might not use as much 12 personnel and Goedert is probably ahead of Ertz at this point. How will Ertz handle being on the bench more often?  I don't know.  I don't think he would pout or sabotage his play, but would he let it get to him emotionally again?  The ideal outcome is to trade him for value.  We will see what happens.

Just now, CaliEagle said:

Yep. He's only 29. I think he is a borderline top 10 TE now and some teams could use that.  I don't get why the Jags don't consider him for Lawrence.

I know there's been all this Buffalo talk but to me it just makes sense. He's an upgrade over Knox. He's gives that offense another dimension and is a redzone threat. 

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

I know there's been all this Buffalo talk but to me it just makes sense. He's an upgrade over Knox. He's gives that offense another dimension and is a redzone threat. 

True.  The Bills could use more depth and Ertz and Knox would be a good pair or TEs.  The Jags have had garbage TEs for years though.  They didn't get Foles or Minshew a decent TE.  Then, they consider converting Tebow.  Just a poorly run organization.  They have the cap room to take on Ertz and a young QB needs a good TE.  That organization doesn't get it.

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I think Ertz has 300 (or more) career catches left in him. He's still a good player and will be above average for a few years after this one. I'm not going to give him away.

Possible but that seems like a lot. He has 561 over 8 prime years. He would need to maintain that pace for over 4 years putting him around 35 years old.

If he does play for the Eagles this year he's only 27 away from being the franchise leader in receptions. 

6 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'll be shocked if they get a 4th for him

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

True.  The Bills could use more depth and Ertz and Knox would be a good pair or TEs.  The Jags have had garbage TEs for years though.  They didn't get Foles or Minshew a decent TE.  Then, they consider converting Tebow.  Just a poorly run organization.  They have the cap room to take on Ertz and a young TE needs a good TE.  That organization doesn't get it.

Idk what the Jags are doing anymore lol. Maybe they bring Eifert back

Don't think Ertz will be on the team when the season starts or past the trade deadline if he is.  But if he does play the whole season I hope he flashes a lot to land a good enough sized contract to get the Eagles a comp pick.  Might be tough to do though as the #2 TE. 

12 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I'll be shocked if they get a 4th for him

Ill be shocked if they get a 6th.

Teams are betting the eagles will just cut him at some point this year so why trade for him?

Maybe after camp and Pre season teams will have a better picture of what they have at TE on their teams and be more willing to trade for Ertz though I doubt it's for anything more 

Than a 5th 

I think Howie is over valuing Ertz by alot and rather than just holding onto him out of spite for Ertz he should just cut him or trade him for peanuts and move on 

4 hours ago, NYEagle said:

I have a question (and let me preface this by saying, I think a blind monkey humping a football could make better picks than Howie).......Let's just say, Hurts comes in and becomes a top 5 QB (and let me preface this by saying, I think the blind monkey might have a better shot).....but let's just say he somehow channels his inner Brady, gets pissed, becomes something incredible.......do we then look back at Howie as a genius for drafting him, trading Wentz and getting draft picks back for him?  That's a whole lot of if's but just playing out the scenario in my head.......

It'll be awesome if that happens, but for me anyway it won't be a net positive for Howie.  It'll just be him fixing a massive problem that he created. 

I still think Wentz and Hurts could have co-existed here just fine if Howie had done two things:

1) Came out and committed to Wentz as the starter and silenced all the stupid drama, and
2) Actively got the coaching staff to build around Wentz's strengths instead of forcing things on him that clearly weren't working

It's almost like Howie thinks that Foles stepped in and won a Super Bowl by doing everything exactly the same way Wentz was doing it, instead of Reich and Flip tailoring things to what Foles did best.  There was no reason we couldn't continue doing that around Wentz - who knows how better/different things could have turned out. 

So was watching table tennis on tv. You know like a casual watching the Olympics and then this Romanian girl named Bernadette Szocs comes on. i realized then i have been missing table tennis at the Olympics every year and that will never happen again. Also my allegiances for table tennis now go back to my roots of Romania 

A7CC07CF-A6CB-4032-ABC6-52643EA0DAF7.jpeg

51 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Why is there a lack of vaccines for his players?

I'd be frustrated as well. 

I'm also a cancer survivor who is immuno compromised, if I had a job where I was around a lot of people sometimes in crowded indoor areas with unvaccinated people I'd be frustrated as well.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

He was screwing up in games too. His route running was so off it was interfering with other receivers. He also was awful against press coverage. Teams figured him out a bit, and he seemed to tank. 

He did struggle but it wasn't like anyone else looked much better.  I think Alshon was put in but I'm not sure whether the call was made by Doug or Howie.  

Archived