Minshew Mania: Eagles trade 2022 conditional 6th to Jags for Gardner Minshew

Agent23

24 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I just think it's a bad idea. I don't trust anyone in this organization to make the right call on such a complicated situation.

With so many picks involved and an already disgruntled player having to deal with this FO would just not end well. 

Agreed, and worse than this guy being disgruntled he’s also suspensions waiting to happen. I don’t see this guy changing his act especially if he gets away with it now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Seems like a move you make only if there is another shoe to drop …..

I’m on record as saying Watson will end up in MIA, but the Minshew trade makes sense IF the Eagles were to trade for Watson, Hurts is part of a package going back to HOU, AND the Eagles are hedging against an 8-17 game suspension for Watson by the NFL league office.  Then they would have Flacco, and Minshew backing up this season (or vice versa)

Probably just overthinking it (or not thinking)

This.

Jacksonville is all in on Lawrence.  Minshew's cap hit is peanuts - $850k this year and $965 in 2022 (John Hightower and Nate Herbig make more) - so I don't know why they didn't keep him around for insurance but whatever. When the Jags lowered the price to a conditional 6th Howie pounced.  It was a no brainer. 

And for the record, Watson isn't going anywhere until his issues are resolved.  No team in the league is going to lay out the cheese Houston wants without knowing if the guy will even play this season.  Or next...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

It’s a curious acquisition to be sure.  The guy who said he wanted to be the starter ahead of Trevor Lawrence isn’t going to be happy as a #3.  Flacco signed because he wanted to be somewhere with a chance to compete to be the starter; he won’t be happy as a #3.  

The Eagles have created QB drama not only at the starting QB position but the backup QB position as well.  There won’t be any opportunities at this point to develop Minshew this season — the coaches will be too busy with Hurts.  I don’t see Minshew as good enough to be a starting QB on a good NFL team; I have the fear we will discover the same about Hurts.

The Eagles now have 3 QB who likely wouldn’t be starters on other NFL teams.

Howie gonna Howie

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

We didn’t deal Foles.  He left as a FA.

They sure didn't try to keep him thinking Wentz was the guy...

3 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

They sure didn't try to keep him thinking Wentz was the guy...

Foles wanted to be a starter somewhere. Dude just won a SB and was still a backup.

3 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Foles wanted to be a starter somewhere. Dude just won a SB and was still a backup.

Actually, Nick Foles last start for the Eagles was not a Super Bowl win, it was a playoff loss the following year.

27 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Actually, Nick Foles last start for the Eagles was not a Super Bowl win, it was a playoff loss the following year.

Exactly. Won a SB and was still a backup. 🤪

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Why.  We would instantly be a playoff team with him.

Unless, of course, he went to jail....

2 hours ago, Vee said:

Unless, of course, he went to jail....

Then we will trade for him off the mean machine. 

9 hours ago, Portyansky said:

And should of started over wentz after that win. He earned it. Why there's a statue is outside the link. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, EagleVA said:

Bad move, they should have waited for the cutdown to 53 to see who became available, but no, Howie is just itching to get rid of draft picks like the dumbarse he is.

Ahh, the cuts have begun.  Look at all the talent out there for Howie to have snatched up.

Thorsen is out there?  You mean Howie could have had him for free??   Amazing.

Trading for a 3rd QB makes no damn sense, we can try and dress it up but that's the truth of it, I couldn't give the smallest crap if he cost a conditional sixth or a new set of jocks and a Betamax box set of the Best of Hee Haw, trading for a 3rd string QB is stupid (but not as stupid as trading for Watson right now).

• Like 1

Minshew is dramatically cheaper, we have team control for 2 years, and he’ll garner larger trade interest than a 6th rounder after the season.

Cam is not a dramatic improvement over GM, won’t play for the pocket change Minshew is, may still be the third QB even if we signed him (neither are pro bowlers anymore but I trust Flacco more as a decision marker), and that would leave Hurts as the only QB on our roster that was drafted after Obama’s first term.

I don’t think there’s any scenario where the minshew trade was regrettable

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Minshew is dramatically cheaper, we have team control for 2 years, and he’ll garner larger trade interest than a 6th rounder after the season.

Cam is not a dramatic improvement over GM, won’t play for the pocket change Minshew is, may still be the third QB even if we signed him (neither are pro bowlers anymore but I trust Flacco more as a decision marker), and that would leave Hurts as the only QB on our roster that was drafted after Obama’s first term.

I don’t think there’s any scenario where the minshew trade was regrettable

Agreed, but given no one was expecting Cam to be released given his COVID issues last season, it was very surprising given by all accounts he looked good and was expected to be the starter for the Pats.

Of course, Belichek knows what he's doing. 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Cam Newton is washed. 

Remember the Hurts mini Cam comparisons a week ago....

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

Agreed, but given no one was expecting Cam to be released given his COVID issues last season, it was very surprising given by all accounts he looked good and was expected to be the starter for the Pats.

Of course, Belichek knows what he's doing. 

yeah, I don’t think it’s a salary cap thing or even Cam flipping out about starting. Cam is pretty level headed guy, I would guess he and Bill had a prearranged handshake about if he lost the starting job

33 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Trading for a 3rd QB makes no damn sense, we can try and dress it up but that's the truth of it, I couldn't give the smallest crap if he cost a conditional sixth or a new set of jocks and a Betamax box set of the Best of Hee Haw, trading for a 3rd string QB is stupid (but not as stupid as trading for Watson right now).

Why?  They got an experienced, young talented player who's likely going to be their backup QB for the next two years on the most team-friendly deal imaginable.  That's worth every bit of a conditional 6th.  

I guess they could have waited for Cam...

Yes because trading for a 3rd String QB is dumb as rocks and eventually Howie needs to stop making dumb as rocks moves especially at QB.

Not every roster move can be about potential trade bait down the road, Minshew didn't want to sit behind Trevor Lawrence and so we signed him to do what? It's beyond asinine at this point, our GM has the man management skills of Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, 'signed him to be part of the QB factory... the QB factory, sign Minshew to be part of the QB Factory.'  'trade him for picks next year, trade him for picks, QB factory, Minshew signed for the QB factory trade him for picks next year, time for Wopner'

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Why?  They got an experienced, young talented player who's likely going to be their backup QB for the next two years on the most team-friendly deal imaginable.  That's worth every bit of a conditional 6th.  

I guess they could have waited for Cam...

He didn't want to sit behind the best college QB prospect since Andrew Luck and now he's sat behind Jalen Hurts and Joe Flacco, how does that play out?

2 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He didn't want to sit behind the best college QB prospect since Andrew Luck and now he's sat behind Jalen Hurts and Joe Flacco, how does that play out?

From his perspective, it's a better bet that he'll play here than behind Lawrence.  Flacco is riding off into the sunset and we really don't have any idea how Hurts is going to play.  Jacksonville is sticking with Lawrence unless he gets decapitated.  The situation here is a better opportunity.  And he'll bring a little swag to the QB room, which they need. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vee said:

OK, so Cam Newton is available....would he choose to come here....I think it might?

Add more fuel to the fire you mean? Because hey the fire isn't big enough right now so we must add more.