Minshew Mania: Eagles trade 2022 conditional 6th to Jags for Gardner Minshew

Agent23

This is a really good video by Mikerophone who is a Youtuber that puts out football content. He is a Cowboys fan, but he explains exactly why this is a great trade.

32 minutes ago, mihailo said:

The Eagles won the Superbowl with Napoleon dynamite....

41fcba563fa88404e4a422457b3b6846.jpg

They have now signed Uncle Rico

3db2f223d272b18469c0f1a9065fe2af.jpg

Dare I ask who Pedro is? Lol

Why? I mean seriously why? He's not even that good... And again let's go back to the $3.5M they are paying Flacco to be on the roster. Deary me this FO at times. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why? I mean seriously why? He's not even that good... And again let's go back to the $3.5M they are paying Flacco to be on the roster. Deary me this FO at times. 

Better than Mullens

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Really.  Completed 66% of his passes on the worst team in football. Look at his career numbers

His 3271 yards in 14 games as a rookie would be 18th on the Eagles franchise list for single season passing yards.

58338EC9-9BDB-42A2-B2E1-085211EEF5AC.jpeg

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Really.  Completed 66% of his passes on the worst team in football. Look at his career numbers

His 3271 yards in 14 games as a rookie would be 18th on the Eagles franchise list for single season passing yards.

58338EC9-9BDB-42A2-B2E1-085211EEF5AC.jpeg

And couldn't even get close to being the starter really. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And couldn't even get close to being the starter really. 

True. The Jaguars are and have always been known for how well they run their organization. Consistent powerhouse, that team.

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

True. The Jaguars are and have always been known for how well they run their organization. Consistent powerhouse, that team.

Well yeah sure ok... Doesn't take away from the point that this is a very strange odd trade. 

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

FYP

He is more experienced and that certainly helps him if you are talking a week 1 perspective, although that is kind of washed away by him now being in a new offense with a new team he hasn't practiced with.  But I think Hurts has a much higher floor than Minshew.   If Hurts is awful after 10 or 12 weeks then you consider going with Minshew.  But if Hurts is slow out of the gate I hope this team gives him a longer leash than just a few games because they did him no favors by not letting him play in the preseason beyond just 2 series.  

I don't love, or hate the trade, but I have to laugh when people seemingly lose their ish over taking a shot with at worst, a 5th rounder given up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Dare I ask who Pedro is? Lol

6PSVZRYJG5D4VONL7RNEBFGK4Y.jpg

But, there are only mild similarities, which is why it didn't work out :D

• Haha 2

I have family in St Augustine Florida and I have seen a lot of Jags games. He is a excellent leader and has a command to him. Excellent at mid level throws and anticipation throws he is at his best. Very good at maneuvering the piocket, will wait until last second and is never been afraid to throw while knowing he will be smashed. Doesn’t get rattled and teammates fight for him and respect his grit. Excellent accuracy, doesn’t have a huge arm but can throw deep if needed. Manipulates coverages well with his eyes. Has above average athletic ability , can run and get yards. The game is never to big for him and plays better when the game is close. Can throw sidearm and use different throwing angles. Does get some balls batted down due to his size,  doesn’t turn the ball over much. He is a great back up and can start for a good duration if needed. I love this pickup 

• Like 3

Just now, SlimReaper4Six said:

I have family in St Augustine Florida and I have seen a lot of Jags games. He is a excellent leader and has a command to him. Excellent at mid level throws and anticipation throws he is at his best. Very good at maneuvering the piocket, will wait until last second and is never been afraid to throw while knowing he will be smashed. Doesn’t get rattled and teammates fight for him and respect his grit. Excellent accuracy, doesn’t have a huge arm but can throw deep if needed. Manipulates coverages well with his eyes. Has above average athletic ability , can run and get yards. The game is never to big for him and plays better when the game is close. Can throw sidearm and use different throwing angles. Does get some balls batted down due to his size,  doesn’t turn the ball over much. He is a great back up and can start for a good duration if needed. I love this pickup 

He seems to have quite good touch on the ball, but doesn't drive it down the field greatly.

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Bad move, they should have waited for the cutdown to 53 to see who became available, but no, Howie is just itching to get rid of draft picks like the dumbarse he is.

Yes, you nailed it here.  We’ll be missing that late round pick for years…especially since we have no first round picks in 2022 to sign, amirite?  

You complain about how Howie sucks at drafting and you complain when he makes trades…but to bellyache over a late round pick?  Really?

If he sticks with QB, he’s an idiot, but if he makes a move…..he’s an idiot?

• Like 1

Great depth move.  For $750k their third QB - for now - has almost 800 NFL attempts and 37 NFL touchdown passes.  Flacco makes more but once Gardner learns the offense he’s the next man up.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Vee said:

Yes, you nailed it here.  We’ll be missing that late round pick for years…especially since we have no first round picks in 2022 to sign, amirite?  

You complain about how Howie sucks at drafting and you complain when he makes trades…but to bellyache over a late round pick?  Really?

If he sticks with QB, he’s an idiot, but if he makes a move…..he’s an idiot?

Plus, if Minshew signs elsewhere after next season, the Eagles will likely recoup that late round pick they traded.  If not, he'll be re-signed in which case, he panned out.  How grown men can have a hissy fit over trading a late round pick for a veteran player is beyond me.

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Bad move, they should have waited for the cutdown to 53 to see who became available, but no, Howie is just itching to get rid of draft picks like the dumbarse he is.

Here's the thing that you don't get - if Minshew got cut, he could sign elsewhere

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mihailo said:

He seems to have quite good touch on the ball, but doesn't drive it down the field greatly.

He about as much velocity as Drew Brees does and honestly he is a good comparison to Gardner when it comes to his style of play ( by no means am I saying he is as good as Brees) also a decent comparison is Baker Mayfield in terms of athletic ability even though I think he is a better player than Baker especially if he had Bakers weapons. Anyone with decent talent could win games for the Browns. Jalen Hurts would be a stud with Nick, Kareem, Odell, Jarvis, Rishard, Njoku, Hooper , and that beast of a Oline. That’s the best offense in the NFL. 
Just because his arm isn’t meant for throwing 15 yard outs to receivers all game doesn’t mean he is limited. As you said he just has a bigger arch throwing downfield. A go rout is a lot easier to throw than the out patterns because they require quite a bit of velocity to speed past the corner breaking

26 minutes ago, Procus said:

If not, he'll be re-signed in which case, he panned out. 

Panning out, though, means that Hurts and Flacco didn't (either got hurt or flat out sucked) and we dropped down to our 3rd QB during the season (assuming he's 3rd). 

25 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Panning out, though, means that Hurts and Flacco didn't (either got hurt or flat out sucked) and we dropped down to our 3rd QB during the season (assuming he's 3rd). 

That’s one way to look at it. Another is that once Minchew learns the offense, he leapfrogs Flacco on the depth chart and is actually the #2. Or, which I think is most likely, Flacco may be the #2 to step in mid-game if needed, but if Hurts were to miss games with injury then Minchew gets the starts. 

Just now, nipples said:

... he leapfrogs Flacco on the depth chart and is actually the #2.

But is that really saying much? lol I think that would be a bigger indictment against Howie than it would be a positive for Minshew. 

Minshew doesn’t start a game . As I was stating in the other topic of him, he is a excellent pickup for this team and next year he will be the top back up, however right now he is just going to be our third QB. He is very far behind on everything. He doesn’t know the city, the front office, his coaches, his team, and where he will live. It’s going to take him at least 6-7 weeks to get caught up on 60-70% of the playbook and other things. 
He is a excellent kid and will learn pretty quickly but he isn’t going to get any reps other than scout team so there is going to be a huge learning curve. His strengths are his mind, accuracy, and anticipation skills. That means he can’t use his strengths to his advantage due to everyone and everything is new to him and he won’t be able to get any good significant coaching because the team will be more worried about getting Jalen ready and the team ready each week. 
I love this pick up for the future however, he is a great leader, a great teammate and will make our defense better because now the scout team has a really good player for them to get good looks. He is an excellent player for the west coast offense we have, it plays well with his strengths, short to intermediate level throws that get the ball to the receivers quickly and accurately to produce YAC yards and that is his game in a nutshell. He h is extremely accurate, anticipates extremely well and knows how to manipulate coverages with his eyes to help receivers get open, he throws on time and throws them open and his balls are easy to catch and allow the players to run after the catch. He has good footwork in the pocket and he has very good playmaking ability. He has a very good feel for play action and the RPO game.

He doesn’t turn the ball over much at all 40 plus TDs and only 11 ints. He has a 4/1 TD to turnover rate. His first year I believe he was around 65 %cl completion percentage. He only had DJ Chark and Dede Westbrook basically. His offensive line never was any good yet it didn’t rattle him. 

He will need time and I don’t see Nick or Howie wanting to rush him into even the backup job anytime soon especially when Joe Flacco has been playing pretty damn well when he has time in the pocket. Next season I could see him being the top backup and depending on the circumstances if Jalen struggles this season and we don’t seat or trade for a elite talent he could very well compete with Jalen for QB1 Gardner can play in this league and I think he is a better player than Baker, Derek Carr, Cam Newton, Daniel Jones, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mason Rudolph, Teddy Bridgewater and possibly Jared Goff. Unfortunately he was a 6th round pick without a elite arm, he will always be looked over because of where he was drafted. His stats and his play while he was playing with a **** team shows a lot more than that. He was excellent at times and he had the NFL buzzing and he even at one time lead in Jersey sales which is extremely hard to do unless your Tim Tebow

• Like 1