Minshew Mania: Eagles trade 2022 conditional 6th to Jags for Gardner Minshew

Agent23

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

Ok, so two years ago. Last year seemed to take like two years in real time, so it seems like forever ago. Anyway, dude is a JAG. I'm fine having him as a backup, but all the love for the guy is over-the-top. It's pretty clear what you have with him, and it's not long-term starting material. At least Hurts is still an unknown. I don't know what it is with people that want to already sell the guy short before he's really even had a chance to perform as the full-time starter.

He is not a jag at all.  Read the link, and he did all of this on the worst team in the league.

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He is not a jag at all.  Read the link, and he did all of this on the worst team in the league.

I really take a lot of those passing stats with a grain of salt these gays. Reuben Frank loves to throw out a bunch of QB stats and their historical rankings in yardage, rating, etc. with no context. So, they look impressive on the surface, but the fact is that these stats are significantly skewed by how the passing game has been opened up and QBs are protected. 61% is not an impressive completion percentage in this day by any stretch. INT ratio is similarly skewed. We used to kill McNabb for completing less than 65% of his passes 20 years ago. Now, 65% is like the new 60%. Regardless, yeah, the guy got off to a nice start to his career in 2019, but since about week 6 of that season, he really hasn't done nothing to really move the needle much since then.

"Minshew Mania" was a short-lived episode, a blip on the radar for the NFL, but I guess the nicknames stick, so hey, why not let the guy have the job?

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

I really take a lot of those passing stats with a grain of salt these gays. Reuben Frank loves to throw out a bunch of QB stats and their historical rankings with no context. So, they look impressive on the surface, but the fact is that these stats are significantly skewed by how the passing game has been opened up and QBs are protected. 61% is not and impressive completion percentage in this day by any stretch. INT ratio is also affected by this. We used to kill McNabb for completing less than 65% of his passes 20 years ago. Now, 65% is like the new 60%. Regardless, yeah, the guy got off to a nice start to his career in 2019, but since about week 6 of that season, he really hasn't done nothing to really move the needle much since then.

"Minshew Mania" was a short-lived episode, a blip on the radar for the NFL, but I guess the nicknames stick, so hey, why not let the guy have the job?

You watched him play ??

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You watched him play ??

Yes.

Look, I really have no issue with the guy, I just think it's amusing how the fans gravitate to certain players, merely because of attributes or character traits that are separate from their athletic skill. More or less, it seems like the fans are jumping on Minshew because he's got a marketable character. I guess he's relatable, and that's cool. I can dig the guy being a likable personality, but it's a little much to see people are really jumping on this guy's bandwagon much more readily than they'll embrace Hurts. Players who just go about their business quietly and don't project an aesthetic seem much less likely to be naturally popular with the fanbase. It is what it is. Maybe Minshew will end up having a great career, all I'm saying is that this lovefest for him seems a tad premature.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yes.

Look, I really have no issue with the guy, I just think it's amusing how the fans gravitate to certain players, merely because of attributes or character traits that are separate from their athletic skill. More or less, it seems like the fans are jumping on Minshew because he's got a marketable character. I guess he's relatable, and that's cool. I can dig the guy being a likable personality, but it's a little much to see people are really jumping on this guy's bandwagon much more readily than they'll embrace Hurts. Players who just go about their business quietly and don't project an aesthetic seem much less likely to be naturally popular with the fanbase. It is what it is. Maybe Minshew will end up having a great career, all I'm saying is that this lovefest for him seems a tad premature.

It's because he's a better QB than our current starting QB.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It should! We now have had 2 super bowl winning QBs! Not only that but, they both had 1 of the top playoff runs of all time! 

We do? Who? Flacco and who's the other one?

Some of you complaining is comical. Mullins looked like he didn't even belong on a field. We gave a 6th rnd, which we will most likely get back when he signs with someone next year. Highly doubt Flacco returns next season. So Minshew slides in as #2. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Swoop said:

It's because he's a better QB than our current starting QB.

There is no way you can objectively make that claim at this point in Hurts' career. None. Hurts is an unknown. The statement above shows that you are clearly too biased to make a fair judgment. Good to know.

• Like 2

Minshew is good enough to keep this fan base calling for him the instant Hurts struggles...which he will.  Good signing for EMB turmoil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yes.

I agree a lot with you on this.     I have watched Minshew play a few times and also re-watched his 2019/2020 highlights.      He reminds me a lot of Tony Romo.    Elusive in the pocket.  Gunslinger mentality.   Accurate.    Doesn't have the strongest arm.    About the same height (6'1" vs 6'2").

Romo's big knock was turning the ball over at the worst possible time.    Minshew hasn't really shown this yet throwing the ball. But, he seems to have that overconfident mentality.  I also remember Minshew leading the league in fumbles for a while his rookie season.    I am not sure if he has cleaned that up or not.

I am really happy to have Minshew on the roster as a #2.       But, fans love gunslingers, until they cost the team with critical mistakes at the worst times.    My biggest concern with him here is fan over-reation.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:52 AM, time2rock said:

Flacco played well last night (and in the first pre season game).  He's likely here for only 2021.  Minshew has an opportunity to play his way into being here as the #2 beyond that.  I can't see him ever becoming more than a #2, even if Hurts falls flat - I'd assume we'd draft someone new.  

Why you can not see him becoming more then #2??? I am a strong Hurts supporter, but I think that Minshew came here because he was promised to have a chance to push Hurts. If not immediately then at some point. Neither Mullens, nor Flacco have offered any challenge to Hurts in training camp. Minshew checks a lot of boxes. I think it is good. Competition breeds success. I am very glad that he is an Eagle.

There is no way you can objectively make that claim at this point in Hurts' career. None. Hurts is an unknown. The statement above shows that you are clearly too biased to make a fair judgment. Good to know.

Minshew easily played as well as Hurts in his first 4 games.  He had to come in for an injured Nick Foles is his first NFL game and completed 88% of his passes for 275 yards and 2 TD’s

Hurts is an unknown. Minshew tossed for 63%, 5500+ yards with 37 TDs and 11 picks in 20 games on the worst team in the league that has historically been a bad team. 

Minshew has put up seasons we hope Hurts can obtain.

Minshew is better than Hurts.

Sorry that will keep you awake at night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Ok, so two years ago. Last year seemed to take like two years in real time, so it seems like forever ago. Anyway, dude is a JAG. I'm fine having him as a backup, but all the love for the guy is over-the-top. It's pretty clear what you have with him, and it's not long-term starting material. At least Hurts is still an unknown. I don't know what it is with people that want to already sell the guy short before he's really even had a chance to perform as the full-time starter.

They got a 3rd string QB for practically nothing. He’s better than Mullens. What’s the problem?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SB52 said:

They got a 3rd string QB for practically nothing. He’s better than Mullens. What’s the problem?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the acquisition. I wholeheartedly approve of it. I just find the fans' enamoration with this guy as the future starter to be a bit amusing

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Minshew easily played as well as Hurts in his first 4 games.  He had to come in for an injured Nick Foles is his first NFL game and completed 88% of his passes for 275 yards and 2 TD’s

Ok, but he's played a little bit more than 4 games at this point, and the back half hasn't been all that impressive. Happy to have him on the team, and he's certainly better than Mullins. I just think it's way too early to give up on Hurts.

46 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Hurts is an unknown. Minshew tossed for 63%, 5500+ yards with 37 TDs and 11 picks in 20 games on the worst team in the league that has historically been a bad team. 

Minshew has put up seasons we hope Hurts can obtain.

Minshew is better than Hurts.

Sorry that will keep you awake at night.

I don't think you can validly compare "seasons" against a guy's first four starts as a rookie. The sample size is not equal. If you want to say that Minshew has shown more than Hurts so far, I guess you can make that argument, buy they haven't both had an equal amount of opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.

3 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the acquisition. I wholeheartedly approve of it. I just find the fans' enamoration with this guy as the future starter to be a bit amusing

Who has done that?

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Who has done that?

Well, there's already a thread dedicated to how many games he'll start. Maybe I jumped the gun, but there sure seemed to be an awful lot of love pouring in for the guy as the future of the team, at least relative to Hurts. I'm just saying we need to give Hurts a fair chance. I feel like I'm back where I was with Foles 10 years ago. Everyone seemed to sell him short from the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Minshew is good enough to keep this fan base calling for him the instant Hurts struggles...which he will.  Good signing for EMB turmoil.

This was my 1st thought on the signing of Minshew.  Let’s just hope hurts plays well enough to keep it to a minimum.  Which I think he can.  

glad we have a capable back up now.  Pencil in flacco as the #3 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't think you can validly compare "seasons" against a guy's fitst fout starts as a rookie. The sample size is not equal. If you want to say that Minshew has shown more than Hurts so far, I guess you can make that argument, buy they haven't both had an equal amount of opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Minshew is the franchise. I don't think he's a long term answer. I honestly do think that Hurts even at his best will offer us nothing more than what Minshew has already accomplished. 

Now hopefully Hurts shuts me up, starts 17 games, wins MVP and becomes the best QB we've ever seen, but I seriously doubt it.

23 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Well, there's already a thread dedicated to how many games he'll start. Maybe I jumped the gun, but there sure seemed to be an awful lot of love pouring in for the guy as the future of the team, at least relative to Hurts. I'm just saying we need to give Hurts a fair chance. I feel like I'm back where I was with Foles 10 years ago. Everyone seemed to sell him short from the beginning.

Would you rather see threads of hate for the guy?

I keep seeing "we need to give Hurts a fair chance" and I don't understand how that's not already happening since the start of the offseason. He's getting a fair chance. How is he not in your eyes?

31 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't think you can validly compare "seasons" against a guy's first four starts as a rookie. The sample size is not equal. If you want to say that Minshew has shown more than Hurts so far, I guess you can make that argument, buy they haven't both had an equal amount of opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.

So go and compare the first four starts then like we already have