Minshew Mania: Eagles trade 2022 conditional 6th to Jags for Gardner Minshew

Agent23

7 hours ago, 700Level4Life said:

Hurts, Flacco, and Minshew...not the best QB room. I thought Flacco would be starting games later in the year because Hurts doesn't make it through the year because of poor play. Minshew changes the game. He's better than Flacco at this point. Right? 

He’s better than Mullens. He’s clearly the third string quarterback. It was a great trade.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Really.  Completed 66% of his passes on the worst team in football. Look at his career numbers

His 3271 yards in 14 games as a rookie would be 18th on the Eagles franchise list for single season passing yards.

58338EC9-9BDB-42A2-B2E1-085211EEF5AC.jpeg

Didn't know his stats were that good and on an ish team with an ish OL and at best average skill players. 

So the trigger is if he plays 50% of the snaps in 3 games then it turns into a 5th Round pick.  If I had to gamble then I'd say we're giving up a 5th Round pick on this deal.  This is a very good trade as Flacco was just only ever a 1 year placeholder so now we have an insurance policy for the Hurts experiment.  And a pretty damned good one all for just a 5th Rounder.  This is a good bit of business. 

If The Stache put up those stats with JAX then it would be interesting to see what he could do behind a better OL with some young WRs with potential.  That is, should Hurts not progress this season and look no better than his 4 game stint last season and they eventually turn to Minshew to take over.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So it begins

Need to add this to your post:

EMB funny LOTR So It Begins.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

But is that really saying much? lol I think that would be a bigger indictment against Howie than it would be a positive for Minshew. 

Not really. Flacco plays that McCown role of a savvy vet to provide leadership and guidance to the young QB(s). 

The way some are talking in here looks like we have our franchise QB!! 

5 hours ago, mihailo said:

6PSVZRYJG5D4VONL7RNEBFGK4Y.jpg

But, there are only mild similarities, which is why it didn't work out :D

B5323857-E298-4FE0-938F-21503A1FB723.jpeg

12 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Fantastic move by Howie to provide young depth at the most important position in sports. 

could be the end of Flacco as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Minshew starts less games (6) than Watson (11)

Hmm is that the real reason why Hurts hasn’t been playing? Protecting him from injury for a trade? 🤔

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Minshew starts less than 4 games I think. 

I think the suspension will be longer than that. 😂

if he starts less than 3 games then the price goes up. So my answer is 2 games or less.

My first thought after seeing this trade was "why?". I don't particularly like keeping 3 quarterbacks and want an extra roster spot reserved somewhere else. However, after some thought I see this as a good move considering Flacco is most likely here for only 1 year. I'm good with Minchew as the primary long term backup if he wants to take a salary in that role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Not really. Flacco plays that McCown role of a savvy vet to provide leadership and guidance to the young QB(s). 

When I think 'Savvy vet', Flacco isn't the image that comes to mind, though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

When I think 'Savvy vet', Flacco isn't the image that comes to mind, though. 

It should! We now have had 2 super bowl winning QBs! Not only that but, they both had 1 of the top playoff runs of all time! 

Couple of thoughts about this trade.  Flacco may be the #2 for now.  It is possible that he does not hold that position for long, maybe as soon as the cut-down time.  If that happens, Minshew steps up to #2, and a young QB, low cost, to be added to develop.

Minshew bumps Foles twice in his NFL career.  First at the Jags, now at the Eagles.  Not that Foles will be returning here, but he accomplished quite a bit with the Eagles.  We shall see if Minshew could repeat, or better yet top, that records.

19 hours ago, mihailo said:

Please elaborate. Foles is loved here and he has the same style as Napoleon Dynamite. Sure uncle Rico is rather stylish, but Hurts is rather dapper himself.

Foles had both style and substance. Anyway, a lot of people seem to already be pining for Minshew. I mean, who can blame them? Dude has a mean mustache and played like 3 good games for the Jaguars 3 years ago! Super Bowlzzzzzzz!!!!

16 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Foles had both style and substance. Anyway, a lot of people seem to already be pining for Minshew. I mean, who can blame them? Dude has a mean mustache and played like 3 good games for the Jaguars 3 years ago! Super Bowlzzzzzzz!!!!

Two years ago today he had not played in an NFL game yet, so not sure how he had 3 good games 3 year ago.

He completed 66% of his passes with 37 TD’s and 11 picks on an atrocious Jaguars team.

For context, Hurts would have to go 31 TD’s and 5 interception to match his TD/INT ratio.

Any other QBs who have played with Foles we can add to the factory? 

26 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Huh? Minchew wasn’t even in the league 3 years ago. Just last year he put up 16TD to 5 INT, 95 passer rating in 8 starts. 

I’m not calling for him to start, but saying he had 3 good games 3 years ago is wrong on just about every level. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Two years ago today he had not played in an NFL game yet, so not sure how he had 3 good games 3 year ago.

Ok, so two years ago. Last year seemed to take like two years in real time, so it seems like forever ago. Anyway, dude is a JAG. I'm fine having him as a backup, but all the love for the guy is over-the-top. It's pretty clear what you have with him, and it's not long-term starting material. At least Hurts is still an unknown. I don't know what it is with people that want to already sell the guy short before he's really even had a chance to perform as the full-time starter.