EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

I don't understand fully the argument about rolling with Hurts as a stop-gap next year. We are not wining anything with Hurts. I am not suggesting that those making the argument necessarily disagree. What I am suggesting is that if we are conceding next year anyway, why not go with Minshew as the stop-gap? At least Minshew potentially would aid in the development of the WRs. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I remember the posts. They didn't care because we were in the playoffs and it didn't matter how we got there

4 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

1st: everything has a price - Hurts cost a 2nd? Was that worth it? Jjaw a 2nd? Reagor a 1st? Would Carr bring more Value then the results we got from those picks ( if you sent a 1st and 2-  2nds)?  Hard to argue he would not briing more value.  

I personally think it may get to a 1st + situation- and at that price I have to ask my self a few things: (This assumes we do not have a long term answer avail this offseason)

•  whats the cost of not picking up a better QB to help Smith and Watkins develop and not become disgruntled and regress?
  • What other options do we have to improve that position and what are those costs VS what is expected level of performance?
  • What is Howies hit ratio on high draft Picks (Hint it's around 30-40% at best) 

When I look at these things, I think that it may be worth it as a stop gap. 

Carr is a FA after 2022. You aren’t trading for him without an extension, and at that point he’s no longer a stopgap. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He don’t disagree that he could be a 100-catch receiver. Obviously we need more out of our QB to get him and Goedert the ball. 

I really think Howie needs to get the Steelers on the phone and see what he can get out of them for Hurts.  He would be a good fit there.  He can utilize Najee Harris in the run and passing game, Pat Freiermuth and occasionally get the ball out to the WR. 

2 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I don't understand fully the argument about rolling with Hurts as a stop-gap next year. We are not wining anything with Hurts. I am not suggesting that those making the argument necessarily disagree. What I am suggesting is that if we are conceding next year anyway, why not go with Minshew as the stop-gap? At least Minshew potentially would aid in the development of the WRs. 

I think it’s more that we feel certain that the Eagles don’t view Minshew that way. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Carr is a FA after 2022. You aren’t trading for him without an extension, and at that point he’s no longer a stopgap. 

That may preclude us from taking a shot at him. Carr is one option. 

I'm on record that I would shoot for Rodgers, Wilson  or Watson first, and work backward from there. 

It may mean we OVER draft Strong because we have little options left.  

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I really think Howie needs to get the Steelers on the phone and see what he can get out of them for Hurts.  He would be a good fit there.  He can utilize Najee Harris in the run and passing game, Pat Freiermuth and occasionally get the ball out to the WR until they all go Antonio Brown from a lack of targets.

FYP

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

I think it’s more that we feel certain that the Eagles don’t view Minshew that way. 

Yesterday may have changed things...

... even for them.

1 minute ago, Ipiggles said:

That may preclude us from taking a shot at him. Carr is one option. 

I'm on record that I would shoot for Rodgers, Wilson  or Watson first, and work backward from there. 

It may mean we OVER draft Strong because we have little options left.  

If they think Strong is a potential top-10 QB sure. 

1 minute ago, Desertbirds said:

Yesterday may have changed things...

... even for them.

Possibly. It was pretty bad. 

I've been really patient with Hurts this season but I haven't seen the growth I hoped I would. That guy almost single handedly cost that game yesterday. The defense came alive and made enough plays for the Eagles to get back in it and make it a game. I was all for Hurts next season just because who the hell else are you going to get? At this point I'd honestly rather ride Minshew. What have they got to lose? 

Howie is going to be involved in the QB market this offseason because:

-- the Eagles always do their due diligence

-- Hurts was a 2nd round pick (not a 1st) so I don't think the Eagles are deeply invested in him

-- the Eagles didn't fully commit verbally to Hurts as starter before training camp

-- I don't believe Howie was the driving force behind drafting Hurts

Unfortunately I don't see much available in the draft.  The 3 big names at QB are a pipe dream.  The other QBs that will be available will depend on cost.  Sirianni will give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on Hurts going forward very soon. 

I still think news that Garappolo will be traded gets reported about a week after the 49ers are eliminated from the playoffs (if they get the right offer).  Lynch is pretty aggressive making moves.  I think it makes sense for DET to move Goff for a 2nd round pick -- they're so terrible it's pointless to pay Goff that contract, even if Goff was balling out.  

Do the Eagles move up to draft Pickett?  Giants, CAR, ATL, and DEN are picking #5, 6, 8, 9 in the draft.  I think there's a chance Pickett and Corral are both drafted in the top 10.  Hopefully Howie doesn't trade up that high.

If they think Strong is a potential top-10 QB sure. 

Possibly. It was pretty bad. 

And if THEY dont think that? what do you suggest we do? (dont say ride with Hurts in 2022- you will kill Smith's desire to play here)

4 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

How's Skip Bayless doing today?  😄😄

I saw this last night but have no idea the context or even when it's from

I just really dont want to waste another season next year. And with Hurts at QB thats what we would be doing.

Minshew would be a little better for regular season, but its still a waste when you know he wont take you anywhere in the playoffs.

I want them to find a QB. Ideally trade for a proven vet. Id be ok with Strong or Pickett in the draft. 

I understand, a little trying to develop a guy when the e team is developing.. But we are already possibly better than a 1 and done team if we had a QB, and should be even better next year. It would be a shame to waste an opportunity for a deep playoff run with Hurts, or even Minshew at QB. And, thats why I really dont love the idea of a rookie either.

57 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Here come the excuses 

What? Running quarterbacks get injured? Who knew?

4 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

And if THEY dont think that? what do you suggest we do? (dont say ride with Hurts in 2022- you will kill Smith's desire to play here)

Lol. Smith is here for five years. He’ll be just fine if it takes another year to find the long-term answer. 

I think they go with Hurts and Minshew next year and see how it works out. It's not like the alternatives are appetizing, an expensive overrated QB with serious legal issues, or overpriced 2nd tier guys (Grap, Carr) who'll require expensive extensions. At that point, stay the course, build the team, and if Hurts isn't the guy, start looking for the veteran in FA in 2023 and draft a developmental QB and nail him to the bench for a year. With Minshew, let him back up then take the comp pick when he leaves, unless someone wants to overpay.

If Hurts doesn't work out, I think he'd be amenable to a long-term deal as a backup, and he'd be a perfect backup, a team player who had his shot and wouldn't gripe, who can come off the bench and win you games (as this season showed, those kind of backup QBs are rare).

Sirianni also has to dump the RPO with Hurts and have him focus on being a pocket QB, he doesn't have to be a great pocket QB, just a competent one, because his ability to scramble and make plays would be maximized if he forces defenses to play him honestly.

Lol. Smith is here for five years. He’ll be just fine if it takes another year to find the long-term answer. 

so you are suggesting we roll with Hurts. 

HARD PASS!

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think they go with Hurts and Minshew next year and see how it works out. It's not like the alternatives are appetizing, an expensive overrated QB with serious legal issues, or overpriced 2nd tier guys (Grap, Carr) who'll require expensive extensions. At that point, stay the course, build the team, and if Hurts isn't the guy, start looking for the veteran in FA in 2023 and draft a developmental QB and nail him to the bench for a year. With Minshew, let him back up then take the comp pick when he leaves, unless someone wants to overpay.

If Hurts doesn't work out, I think he'd be amenable to a long-term deal as a backup, and he'd be a perfect backup, a team player who had his shot and wouldn't gripe, who can come off the bench and win you games (as this season showed, those kind of backup QBs are rare).

Sirianni also has to dump the RPO with Hurts and have him focus on being a pocket QB, he doesn't have to be a great pocket QB, just a competent one, because his ability to scramble and make plays would be maximized if he forces defenses to play him honestly.

HARD HARD PASS on Hurts. 

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

You can say it an many times and as many ways as you want.  They acquired those three 1st round picks to get a QB if Hurts is not the answer.  Hurts is not the answer.

Here are the 2 top reasons to go get a franchise QB.

1.  You need one to win in the playoffs.

2.  To see how you spin it when it happens.

Archived