EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

My prediction for next week?  Hurts will be another week older and less of a kid but still full of intangibles.

and rent is still due

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Smith is here for five years. He’ll be just fine if it takes another year to find the long-term answer. 

There is no patience. 

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think they go with Hurts and Minshew next year and see how it works out. It's not like the alternatives are appetizing, an expensive overrated QB with serious legal issues, or overpriced 2nd tier guys (Grap, Carr) who'll require expensive extensions. At that point, stay the course, build the team, and if Hurts isn't the guy, start looking for the veteran in FA in 2023 and draft a developmental QB and nail him to the bench for a year. With Minshew, let him back up then take the comp pick when he leaves, unless someone wants to overpay.

If Hurts doesn't work out, I think he'd be amenable to a long-term deal as a backup, and he'd be a perfect backup, a team player who had his shot and wouldn't gripe, who can come off the bench and win you games (as this season showed, those kind of backup QBs are rare).

Sirianni also has to dump the RPO with Hurts and have him focus on being a pocket QB, he doesn't have to be a great pocket QB, just a competent one, because his ability to scramble and make plays would be maximized if he forces defenses to play him honestly.

There's no chance in the world this happens -- just as Wentz and Hurts together was not plausible for this season.  What the heck kind of NFL QB would be amenable to being a long-term backup rather than start somewhere and get paid $25M+ per season?  

Dave Zangaro sums it up perfectly

"For all the talk about Hurts’ character and his leadership and his poise and all the intangible qualities he has — and he has a ton of them —

none of those things help him hit a slant with anticipation or a streaking receiver down the sideline."

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You can say it an many times and as many ways as you want.  They acquired those three 1st round picks to get a QB if Hurts is not the answer.  Hurts is not the answer.

Here are the 2 top reasons to go get a franchise QB.

1.  You need one to win in the playoffs.

2.  To see how you spin it when it happens.

As much as I would like to fix the defense with those picks, lurie has told you how he feels about a franchise without a franchise QB. he said it after they drafted Carson Wentz that if you don’t have a franchise quarterback then what are you doing because you’re not gonna win anything. I’ve posted the exact quote at least 30-40 times. So it comes down to how lurie exactly feels about hurts  

They didn’t stockpile those picks thinking we’re only going to fix the defense with them even if Jalen hurts isn’t the guy. They stockpile those picks with the thought process of if Jalen hurts didn’t pan out this year then at least had the draft capital to try and go out to get their franchise quarterback. They might not be able to acquire that franchise quarterback but i will bet a ton of money they are going to be aggressive in that market and not just sit back waiting for 2023 to come along to try and acquire one. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As much as I would like to fix the defense with those picks, lurie has told you how he feels about a franchise without a franchisee QB. he said it after they drafted Carson Wentz that if you don’t have a franchise quarterback then what are you doing because you’re not gonna win anything. I’ve posted the exact quote at least 30-40 times.

They didn’t stockpile those picks thinking we’re only going to fix the defense with them even if Jalen hurts isn’t the guy. They stockpile those picks with the thought process of if Jalen hurts didn’t pan out this year then at least had the draft capital to try and go out to get their franchise quarterback. They might not be able to acquire that franchise quarterback but i will bet a ton of money they are going to be aggressive in that market and not just sit back waiting for 2023 to come along to try and acquire one. 

Jeff Lurie has to HATE that there is no "face" for his organization and he is going to go out to try to solve that issue this offseason.  He knows that he needs a franchise QB.  

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As much as I would like to fix the defense with those picks, lurie has told you how he feels about a franchise without a franchisee QB. he said it after they drafted Carson Wentz that if you don’t have a franchise quarterback then what are you doing because you’re not gonna win anything. I’ve posted the exact quote at least 30-40 times.

Could not find the quote you are talking about, but here is another one.  @austinfan, the Eagles are gonna go QB hunting in 2022.

The only model to me that correlates with big success in the NFL is having a Hall of Fame franchise quarterback.

For the life of me I don't understand how some EMB posters can't process the fact that the Eagles accumulated all these picks for only one reason....

and it wasn't to draft Defensive Tackles...

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

For the life of me I don't understand how some EMB posters can't process the fact that the Eagles accumulated all these picks for only one reason....

And it wasn't to draft Defensive Tackles...

The Truth Shall Set You Free GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Could not find the quote you are talking about, but here is another one.  @austinfan, the Eagles are gonna go QB hunting in 2022.

"Because in the NFL, it’s the one position you can’t just go get. And so when you have an opportunity, you’ve gotta take your shot, and you’ve gotta be bold. Otherwise, if you say to yourself, 'you know, it is probably a 50-50 shot that maybe the quarterback will be really good,' you can't let that deter you. So that’s how I look at it: You either have a really good QB and you compete for the Super Bowl, or you don’t and you are probably not competing for the Super Bowl. And that’s simple."

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

How much longer is Tom Brady going to play?  Is Kyle Trask an option?

I doubt it , coaches love him  , Brady probably has 1 more year , wouldn’t shock me if he called it a career after this year. , it depends how season ends , what players will they lose  , if they lose leftwich  . 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

"Because in the NFL, it’s the one position you can’t just go get. And so when you have an opportunity, you’ve gotta take your shot, and you’ve gotta be bold. Otherwise, if you say to yourself, 'you know, it is probably a 50-50 shot that maybe the quarterback will be really good,' you can't let that deter you. So that’s how I look at it: You either have a really good QB and you compete for the Super Bowl, or you don’t and you are probably not competing for the Super Bowl. And that’s simple."

Roast Lurie all you want, but it's true. Just look at the remaining teams in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

It gives them options.  If they loved a QB that would go in the top-ten, they can trade up for him.  If they wanted to trade for a stud, they could.

You could tell hurts was injured yesterday just the way he was moving. 

There was one play where he looked like his ankle had just gone and he couldn't run any more.

Take that way from him and he's very mediocre.

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Well you also have to remember how and why they really landed the extra 1st round picks

Colts- Wentz forced a trade and they were lucky enough it ended as a first rounder

Dolphins- Eagles knew they would not land one of the top prospects they wanted in that position of number 6. Dolphins made a offer they couldnt pass up knowing they would get just as good a player at 12 they would at 6(moved up anyways) and add a 1st on top of it. 

So Id have to disagree, Howie did not make those trades(accumulated the picks) thinking right away they would be used on a QB. Might turn out that way, but was not the initial reasoning. 

12 hours ago, austinfan said:

Hurts has a great work ethic, made a lot of progress from his rookie year, the fact he struggles against a really fast defense doesn't surprise me, Eagles don't have the big possession WR who is a QB's security blanket, RBs who can pass block or are good targets out of the backfield (Sanders was once, but really regressed). Hurts needs to work with Tom House or some other QB guru on his mechanics this offseason, then study film until his eyes bleed, and hopefully will have mini-camps, invite his WRs for extended work and a full training camp.

Bull.  Howard excels at pass pro and Scott is pretty good at it.  Scott and Gainwell are excellent catching the ball out of the backfield.  Hurts just doesn’t check down to them. If Hurts checks away from the primary receiver, he has a tendency to run himself. His passing game has a major flaw in his reads. It isn’t just mechanics, it is processing.  He has to see a man open and by the time he processes that and delivers the ball, the player isn’t open anymore and the ball is in a place where the defender has a play on the ball.  Not sure that can be fixed. His height may be part of the problem but only part.  His trigger is a huge problem. 

7 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

It gives them options.  If they loved a QB that would go in the top-ten, they can trade up for him.  If they wanted to trade for a stud, they could.

Yep. Optionality. If the right opportunity presents itself, pull the trigger.

As @greend can attest, just because you go hunting doesn’t mean you come home with something. 

6 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I read "scheming" as giving Hurts no choice.

Making Smith the first read is an easy choice. 

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd rather roll with Minshew than Hurts for next year. I don't know why people are even considering it

Going with Minshew and keeping Hurts on the roster isn't a real option for the team.  They would have to move on from Hurts and hopefully get some value for him. If they do that, it probably means they also take a shot at one of the QBs coming out in the first or second round.  Over drafting a qb this year delays getting a good enough player limits the resources available in the draft next season.  The team will end up with less resources to get a potential QB through the draft and a marginal playoff type team given the roster and divison.  On top of that when it's clear Minshew is what he is, then the FO will have to play whatever QB they took in the 2022 draft in order to evaluate him.  It's just adding another year to the cycle.  

The 2 better options for moving on from Hurts are:

1. Trading for Wilson, Rodgers or another starter (I don't think Watson should be an option) 

2. Giving Hurts next season. Improve the defense with rookie talent and add  draft assets for 2023.  Pick a better QB in 23.  

The drawback for the first option is that this team doesn't have a good enough roster to compete even with an elite QB.  The defense isn't good enough and trading away first round picks this year impairs the team's ability to sufficient talent to compete.  The drawback with the 2nd option is that Hurts is just painful to watch.  It's like every other game is that bad game that Foles had against Dallas where receiver were running wide open but Foles just did not make the throws.  Even when he plays well, it's not like he looks like he has the tools as a passer to succeed.  I don't think Minshew is any better. 

Minshew isn't the answer so starting him doesn't do anything even if he plays better as a passer.  Playing him when Hurts is on the team probably creates a bad locker room environment.  Playing him over some rookie will just make everyone want to start the rookie.  

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Yep. Optionality. I’m f the right opportunity presents itself, pull the trigger.

As @greend can attest, just because you go hunting doesn’t mean you come home with something. 

I’ve been for months saying I don’t think they’re gonna be able to acquire that franchise quarterback. However if you believe they’re not gonna be aggressive in a quarterback market that has Russell Wilson and potentially Deshaun Watson then you are just in denial. 

again I firmly do not think they’re gonna be able to acquire either one of them. but I will bet anything they are serious in those discussions and it’s not just a due diligence type thing. 

44 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I don't understand fully the argument about rolling with Hurts as a stop-gap next year. We are not wining anything with Hurts. I am not suggesting that those making the argument necessarily disagree. What I am suggesting is that if we are conceding next year anyway, why not go with Minshew as the stop-gap? At least Minshew potentially would aid in the development of the WRs. 

Do you think the team starts Minshew when Hurts is on the roster? If Hurts isn't on the roster, who do you think they have to back up Minshew? 

Just now, NCiggles said:

Do you think the team starts Minshew when Hurts is on the roster? If Hurts isn't on the roster, who do you think they have to back up Minshew? 

Gonna have to draft a backup in the second round….

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Making Smith the first read is an easy choice. 

Going with Minshew and keeping Hurts on the roster isn't a real option for the team.  They would have to move on from Hurts and hopefully get some value for him. If they do that, it probably means they also take a shot at one of the QBs coming out in the first or second round.  Over drafting a qb this year delays getting a good enough player limits the resources available in the draft next season.  The team will end up with less resources to get a potential QB through the draft and a marginal playoff type team given the roster and divison.  On top of that when it's clear Minshew is what he is, then the FO will have to play whatever QB they took in the 2022 draft in order to evaluate him.  It's just adding another year to the cycle.  

The 2 better options for moving on from Hurts are:

1. Trading for Wilson, Rodgers or another starter (I don't think Watson should be an option) 

2. Giving Hurts next season. Improve the defense with rookie talent and add  draft assets for 2023.  Pick a better QB in 23.  

The drawback for the first option is that this team doesn't have a good enough roster to compete even with an elite QB.  The defense isn't good enough and trading away first round picks this year impairs the team's ability to sufficient talent to compete.  The drawback with the 2nd option is that Hurts is just painful to watch.  It's like every other game is that bad game that Foles had against Dallas where receiver were running wide open but Foles just did not make the throws.  Even when he plays well, it's not like he looks like he has the tools as a passer to succeed.  I don't think Minshew is any better. 

Minshew isn't the answer so starting him doesn't do anything even if he plays better as a passer.  Playing him when Hurts is on the team probably creates a bad locker room environment.  Playing him over some rookie will just make everyone want to start the rookie.  

They would actually be better off with Foles as the stopgap.  Wouldn't be a large investment.  The receivers will see the ball.  Maybe get something for Hurts and Minshew.  

We have soooooo little talent on defense.

3 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Does it really matter?

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

They would actually be better off with Foles as the stopgap.  Wouldn't be a large investment.  The receivers will see the ball.  Maybe get something for Hurts and Minshew.  

We have soooooo little talent on defense.

foles makes way more sense then any other options in FA or trade considering the draft capital you’d have to give up if you want a stop gap QB. 

Archived