EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Are there gaps between those bushes? Am I standing 15 feet behind those bushes?

Are you really trying to pretend that Hurts is unable to see all 11 defenders on the field presnap? Are you really?

Yes.  An unquestionable yes.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Yes.  An unquestionable yes.

This is great. Amazing that no one could crack this code before you did in the first round of the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It all starts pre snap.  Nothing begins until the ball is snapped.  And if he’s being coached or allowed to start some plays at the wrong platform, it’s not good.  Of course it’s not high on the totem pole.  It’s ridiculous to assume it is.  It also doesn’t help him to process what he’s seeing.  It’s just another sign that he is not a viable passing-QB option. 

He doesn’t do it all the time.  That’s the point of the pre-snap tell, comment.  

Yeah there’s a lot of them and we have a fan base that wanted to ignore it cause they desperately want a franchise QB and overlooked the competition that he and the offense were having success against  

after the Saints game i took a lot of flack for saying you’re not just gonna be able to just run on every team and win games especially in the playoffs. You can’t be a one dimensional type team. I actually specifically mention that Todd Bowles when he faces you in a playoff game is going to adjust his game plan to what you do best and take that away from you. In the playoffs he was going to magnify that. And he was going to exploit it until your quarterback showed he could make the throws consistently .That’s exactly what happened in this game. predicted it 7-8 weeks ago that this type of game would happen. The eagles only have one way to beat you and it’s run the ball and play with a lead unless it’s bad teams. Tampa wasn’t not going to let you run and daring you to make throws. We couldn’t. The teams that are the best teams in the league can beat you in a multitude of ways. even if you take away their biggest strength, they aren’t so deficient everywhere that they can win games against better opponents. They adjust and beat you in a different way that week. 

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Under.  I think he plays a clean game and they take the Cardinals out behind the wood shed.  Kupp is gonna go off tonight.

I agree. Kupp has a monster game and they roll the Cards. 

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

BTW, Brady crouches before the snap. Not as much, but he crouches. Must be as bad as Hurts.

Completely different line of sight.  Try again.

B73F5C0F-ACAF-492B-87C9-911FF96DA1D7.jpeg

If Brady shot a laser weapon out of his eye, it would go into the defense.  If Hurts did, Kelce would crap out of a bag for the rest of his life.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Here is an outside the box thought on the QB situation. Not saying its the answer. But maybe a reasonable bridge option.

Jared Goff contract https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/jared-goff-18949/ is not crippling. It has a potential out this offseason. Do the Lions move on?

He is quite a bit like Hurts in his inability to read a defense. BUT, he can potentially play in the 1 read system we have created for Hurts, and deliver the ball more accurately. And get it downfield better. There would be some improvement for us. He will throw to the WRs. And hes probably at the point where hes going to become reasonably cheap. He doesnt have much time left before he becomes a long term backup.

It seems the eagles liked him in that draft and would have selected him if Wentz went first. Im sure at this point they wont think he is the future but if they like the character, and think his arm talent can improve our passing game...

Maybe work a re-structure, and trade Hurts for him.

I don't know what the Lions will do but why would they want Hurts over Goff? 

Day 1 of the offseason and we’re talking about crouching… Brees and Wilson are HOFers… 

Hurts just doesn’t have the arm talent or processing skills to be a franchise QB. Anyone who thinks he does can’t be reasoned with at this point. 

34 minutes ago, justrelax said:

That’s pretty good.

Maybe very good.

You’ve been on a roll lately.

I know its not a popular idea. But, I think its very realistic.

People dont want Wilson because he looked bad this year and we dont know if thats due to injury, or not. And we know Wilson prefers NY. And we know his wife hates Philly.

People dont want Rodgers. Hes old. Hes a wacko. And will be pretty much cost prohibitive.

People dont want Watson. Hes been pretty injury prone. And he might be a sicko.

People dont want Carr. Hes a vet who plays well but is unproven in playoffs. Hes a risk to commit to long term. Hes going to require a trade, and an extension.

We dont want any of the free agents either.

So you have to consider outside the box options. Its just going to be very affordable. His team took him as a salary dump from another team because it gave them a couple of premium picks.

Its going to be a QB that the eagles supposedly liked in that draft. A guy who has played in big games, on a team with high expectations. 

A guy we know doesnt really have upside left. But this offense has been designed for a guy with his limitations already. And, he is going to add about 100x more arm talent than Hurts had. And probably actually better field vision and processing power as well. 

He has 2 years left on his deal.  Maybe a re-structure is possible. Seems team friendly for getting out of. Contract is perfect for a player who is meant as a hold over for a rookie this year or next year.

I know hes not exciting. And hes going to do stuff that makes us angry. But hes not Jalen Hurts, and I love that about him.

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

Day 1 of the offseason and we’re talking about crouching… Brees and Wilson are HOFers… 

Hurts just doesn’t have the arm talent or processing skills to be a franchise QB. Anyone who thinks he does can’t be reasoned with at this point. 

Crouching Tiger hidden hurts 

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Lol. Are there gaps between those bushes? Am I standing 15 feet behind those bushes?

Are you really trying to pretend that Hurts is unable to see all 11 defenders on the field presnap? Are you really?

I noticed on the broadcast yesterday Aikman mentioned that Brady says he always knows where he's going with the football before the ball is snapped.  I've always remembered Rodgers saying the game slowed down for him when he stopped watching where his receivers were going and focused solely on where the defensive players were moving -- after all, he knows the play already and exactly where his guys should be.  Peyton Manning used all of his pre-snap calls and adjustments before every play to try to get the defense to declare coverage before the snap.

I don't think Hurts can succeed as a passing QB, because he lacks both arm strength and accuracy.  If he was accurate like Brees or Watson, or even Bradford was, without having a plus-arm that would be one thing, or if he struggled with touch but had a cannon like Josh Allen then his inaccuracy could be overlooked because he can hit shot plays and chunk plays.  Hurts' problem is he lacks both.  He also lacks the ability to diagnose defenses or anticipate -- which is crucially important when a QB lacks both zip and accuracy.

Hurts 'wants' to play sandlot football.  He vacates clean pockets because he 'wants' the scripted play to break down, and then he'll improvise better than the defense can adjust.  I quote 'wants' because I don't think it's a conscious choice; it's just what always made him successful before. 

9 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't know what the Lions will do but why would they want Hurts over Goff? 

Some people think theres upside there. The Lions suck and dont know what they are doing. They may not want him over Goff. They may just not want Goff. And would accept Hurts as a backup to whomever they bring in, OR as a stop gap. It must hold some value, as compared to just cutting Goff, which they may do. 

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

I noticed on the broadcast yesterday Aikman mentioned that Brady says he always knows where he's going with the football before the ball is snapped.  I've always remembered Rodgers saying the game slowed down for him when he stopped watching where his receivers were going and focused solely on where the defensive players were moving -- after all, he knows the play already and exactly where his guys should be.  Peyton Manning used all of his pre-snap calls and adjustments before every play to try to get the defense to declare coverage before the snap.

I don't think Hurts can succeed as a passing QB, because he lacks both arm strength and accuracy.  If he was accurate like Brees or Watson, or even Bradford was, without having a plus-arm that would be one thing, or if he struggled with touch but had a cannon like Josh Allen then his inaccuracy could be overlooked because he can hit shot plays and chunk plays.  Hurts' problem is he lacks both.  He also lacks the ability to diagnose defenses or anticipate -- which is crucially important when a QB lacks both zip and accuracy.

Hurts 'wants' to play sandlot football.  He vacates clean pockets because he 'wants' the scripted play to break down, and then he'll improvise better than the defense can adjust.  I quote 'wants' because I don't think it's a conscious choice; it's just what always made him successful before. 

That's some heroic assumptions. I'd make a simpler case that like most college QBs these days, Hurts never been taught to read defenses and anticipate which receiver will come open. And if he anticipated better, he'd have better mechanics b/c he could set his feet and square his shoulders to his probable target and make a decisive throw. Brady's whole point is he rarely has to go through progressions (and the problem it presents for mechanics, having to read, then shift your body to make the throw in 10ths of a second) b/c he know which receiver is going to be open and where they'll be when he's ready to throw.

Rodgers got to sit for years, like Young, and learn to play QB. Brady sat for a year, then spent two years dinking and dunking in a conservative offensive scheme behind a great defense, it wasn't until 2004 that Belichick took the blinders off him.

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I know its not a popular idea. But, I think its very realistic.

People dont want Wilson because he looked bad this year and we dont know if thats due to injury, or not. And we know Wilson prefers NY. And we know his wife hates Philly.

People dont want Rodgers. Hes old. Hes a wacko. And will be pretty much cost prohibitive.

People dont want Watson. Hes been pretty injury prone. And he might be a sicko.

People dont want Carr. Hes a vet who plays well but is unproven in playoffs. Hes a risk to commit to long term. Hes going to require a trade, and an extension.

We dont want any of the free agents either.

So you have to consider outside the box options. Its just going to be very affordable. His team took him as a salary dump from another team because it gave them a couple of premium picks.

Its going to be a QB that the eagles supposedly liked in that draft. A guy who has played in big games, on a team with high expectations. 

A guy we know doesnt really have upside left. But this offense has been designed for a guy with his limitations already. And, he is going to add about 100x more arm talent than Hurts had. And probably actually better field vision and processing power as well. 

He has 2 years left on his deal.  Maybe a re-structure is possible. Seems team friendly for getting out of. Contract is perfect for a player who is meant as a hold over for a rookie this year or next year.

I know hes not exciting. And hes going to do stuff that makes us angry. But hes not Jalen Hurts, and I love that about him.

Been watching a lot of Carr this year as the town I live in has alot of Raiders fans.  He's a pretty dang good passer of the ball.  Good arm talent for sure.  He sometimes rifles it a little too hard.  And he is going to need a new contract.  At 30 years old, I don't know if that is a move the Front office wants to make.

I do think if you put some talent around him that he can lead this team to some playoff wins 

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

That's some heroic assumptions. I'd make a simpler case that like most college QBs these days, Hurts never been taught to read defenses and anticipate which receiver will come open. And if he anticipated better, he'd have better mechanics b/c he could set his feet and square his shoulders to his probable target and make a decisive throw. Brady's whole point is he rarely has to go through progressions (and the problem it presents for mechanics, having to read, then shift your body to make the throw in 10ths of a second) b/c he know which receiver is going to be open and where they'll be when he's ready to throw.

Rodgers got to sit for years, like Young, and learn to play QB. Brady sat for a year, then spent two years dinking and dunking in a conservative offensive scheme behind a great defense, it wasn't until 2004 that Belichick took the blinders off him.

Hurts sucks

FYP

I am so excited to trade for a QB to see your mental gymnastics.

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Been watching a lot of Carr this year as the town I live in has alot of Raiders fans.  He's a pretty dang good passer of the ball.  Good arm talent for sure.  He sometimes rifles it a little too hard.  And he is going to need a new contract.  At 30 years old, I don't know if that is a move the Front office wants to make.

I do think if you put some talent around him that he can lead this team to some playoff wins 

I dont really have a problem with Carr depending on the price. 

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

No ..... it's watching the guy play football.  He's not getting any better, and he simply can't distribute the football.

Sirianni has two choices.  He can tell Howie that Hurts is progressing nicely and he wants another year to develop him and fit an offensive scheme to him, or he can tell Howie he's gotten everything out of Hurts that's there to get.  If he chooses the first course he's fooling himself, and the team will suffer because of it.

56 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Significantly reduces the damage from a bad snap.

P.S. Opeta looks off balance already.

Is Opeta pulling to the left?

Archived