EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

55 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

It's because the DC's they have had for the last several years were Gannon and Schwartz who are notorious for not blitzing. It's about the scheme they ran, not so much the players.

Uhhh....it's the players.  Show me the investment in that side of the ball that is being stifled by the scheme.

Two picks in the 1st or 2nd round in the last six drafts.  That's 2 out of 11 selections.  Barnett and Jones. And they were both disappointments.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

At the time I wrote that comment off to him being a former DAL player and wanting to do the game from that perspective, but I think it was him knowing full well what kind of game Brady vs Hurts was gonna be.

I think it was blowout by this point - I didn’t blame him, the game was one-sided and any neutral viewer was looking in the fridge.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

In the first 4 series, they averaged 3.25 yards a carry on the runs and 2.13 on the pass attempts with 3 of the completions being for less than 5 yards.  I'm just saying the run was working better than the pass was and they should have just kept running it.  You can say they took the run away but Sirianni stopped trying to run based on the look of the defense.  He should just run with jumbo sets and 12 personnel.  I mean run with an extra o-lineman play a mismatch where you have one up front and use size to your advantage.  Instead he had no thought about just trying to out block their defense.  Don't morph to a short game passing attack that is equally ineffective. Don't run with options out of shot gun that are less effective against fast defenders and stacked boxes. Ru  If Sirianni had done this the first 3 drives, I think they get at least one first down.  

They only had 3.25 yards per carry because Jalen hurt ran for 26 yards. Miles Sanders had 4 carries on the first 4 series of the game you know how many yards he had? 4. That is 1 yard per carry.  So you’re telling me they shouldve kept running with Miles Sanders when he had an average of 1 yard per carry and 2 out of his 4 rushes went for negative yards. So the eagles should’ve ran the ball more with Miles Sanders in the first four series into a stacked box that Bowles employed?  The only person who is gaining anything rushing was Jalen hurts and it wasn’t all designed runs. he also took off out of passing plays  

So Todd Bowles was not going to allow you to win running the football with your backs. So unless you’re just gonna keep running with hurts every time that’s not a game plan for success especially when he has a bum ankle.

I called this back Around week 10 that this would happen if they played a team like Tampa Bay. Todd Bowles is one of the best defensive coordinator in the league. he isn’t going to allow you to dictate the game by running the ball especially when you’re one dimensional team that can only win one way which is running the ball due to inefficiencies at QB. 

you can blame a lot of stuff on sirianni. He’s not absolved from blame. however no head coach and no offense is going to consistently beat top Super Bowl title contenders or score consistently with a quarterback that can’t consistently make routine NFL throws. And Todd Bowles isn’t an idiot and knows that. So you were either going to run into his stacked box and sanders gets 16 yards on 7 rushes ( 4 yards on his first 4 rushes)and be limited in the yards you get or have to make big boy throws to beat his gameplan. (Please don’t bring up Scott’s big run it was in complete garbage time when the game was over and they were up 31-0)  

That game should have been at worse 17 to 7 if we had a quarterback that had the arm to hit a wide-open Smith in the end zone. I would also add the fourth down incompletion that ended the 4th drive is on Jalen hurts. If he had a stronger arm or gets more zip on the ball, it gets there and Jalen Reagor only has to catch it (who the hell knows if he does that). Along with no defender is able to make a play on with a throw with better zip on the ball. That’s 2 plays where because your QB wasn’t good enough that drives ended where you potentially could’ve and probably should’ve scored points on. It would be a much different game then 17-0 at the half if our Qb wasn’t awful. 

17 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

It's because the DC's they have had for the last several years were Gannon and Schwartz who are notorious for not blitzing. It's about the scheme they ran, not so much the players.

The defensive line is the most overpaid unit on the team who delivers the least when needed most. And that starts with Cox. 

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

The defensive line is the most overpaid unit on the team who delivers the least when needed most. And that starts with Cox. 

Cox is the Ryan Howard of the Eagles.  Got paid and ceased to be productive.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

Cox is the Ryan Howard of the Eagles.  Got paid and ceased to be productive.

At least Ryan Howard you could claim he tore his Achilles and was never the same. His was more due to never being the same after that. 

Here is an outside the box thought on the QB situation. Not saying its the answer. But maybe a reasonable bridge option.

Jared Goff contract https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/jared-goff-18949/ is not crippling. It has a potential out this offseason. Do the Lions move on?

He is quite a bit like Hurts in his inability to read a defense. BUT, he can potentially play in the 1 read system we have created for Hurts, and deliver the ball more accurately. And get it downfield better. There would be some improvement for us. He will throw to the WRs. And hes probably at the point where hes going to become reasonably cheap. He doesnt have much time left before he becomes a long term backup.

It seems the eagles liked him in that draft and would have selected him if Wentz went first. Im sure at this point they wont think he is the future but if they like the character, and think his arm talent can improve our passing game...

Maybe work a re-structure, and trade Hurts for him.

2 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Weirdly, the defense came alive for a couple series in the 2nd half iirc, getting sacks on 3rd down, etc. - but then Tweet happened and the will to compete vanished as quickly as it had arrived.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

If we are gonna get "freaky" on offense, may as well do it with the better QB, Deshaun Watson.

This made me laugh

FJU7XIQUcAEFGg_?format=png&name=900x900

32 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Dont tell me we need to start Hurts in 2022.  

Even Wentz would complete that :pizza:

@wussbasket

Like that Travon pick - ideally for me we pickup Ojabo and Travon, then trade out of 19 with a QB hungry team to set us up for hopefully a better QB crop next year.

13 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Here is an outside the box thought on the QB situation. Not saying its the answer. But maybe a reasonable bridge option.

Jared Goff contract https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/jared-goff-18949/ is not crippling. It has a potential out this offseason. Do the Lions move on?

He is quite a bit like Hurts in his inability to read a defense. BUT, he can potentially play in the 1 read system we have created for Hurts, and deliver the ball more accurately. And get it downfield better. There would be some improvement for us. He will throw to the WRs. And hes probably at the point where hes going to become reasonably cheap. He doesnt have much time left before he becomes a long term backup.

It seems the eagles liked him in that draft and would have selected him if Wentz went first. Im sure at this point they wont think he is the future but if they like the character, and think his arm talent can improve our passing game...

Maybe work a re-structure, and trade Hurts for him.

He'll be available IMO because it makes no sense for the Lions to keep him.  They got two 1st round picks from the Rams just to take him, and the money would be better freed up.  He could be acquired for a 2nd round pick IMO.

I think the Eagles had eyes for Wentz in that draft and made the trade-up from #8 to 2 right after the Rams stated they'd be taking Goff -- IIRC

Overall I think Goff is pretty good only if the offense is on schedule.  Once the play breaks down and once he starts getting hit he crumbles.  I don't think I'd want to acquire him or Cousins -- but I'd prefer one year of Goff to any more of Hurts.  

17 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

89B94EA6-010C-4C99-9C2F-15916D62A86B.thumb.png.671bace748a2860d1ccab1932091aa87.png334F524D-2D7A-485F-8622-91808721E0E6.thumb.png.dfdd7d337f53429f2e4e8dcf7e2cfe95.png

I’ve gotta be honest, I do not like McCreary that high unless Stingley, Elam, Booth and Gardner are all gone. 

Goff doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The Eagles right now are kinda nowheresville. Not good enough to contend. Not bad enough to get a top draft pick. Goff doesn't give them either. If they want a stopgap, and I don't know why they would because there likely won't be an offseason any time soon with potentially as many high level QBs available in trade, they should just draft someone again outside of the first round and cross your fingers. And if they turn out to be nothing special, go after it again in 2023 in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

He'll be available IMO because it makes no sense for the Lions to keep him.  They got two 1st round picks from the Rams just to take him, and the money would be better freed up.  He could be acquired for a 2nd round pick IMO.

I think the Eagles had eyes for Wentz in that draft and made the trade-up from #8 to 2 right after the Rams stated they'd be taking Goff -- IIRC

Overall I think Goff is pretty good only if the offense is on schedule.  Once the play breaks down and once he starts getting hit he crumbles.  I don't think I'd want to acquire him or Cousins -- but I'd prefer one year of Goff to any more of Hurts.  

I wouldnt give a 2nd. They would probably be happy to offload him. While they can cut him this offseason with little cap implication, they would likely be happy with gaining any other pick.

More ideally for me though, would be to just swap him and hurts. If it requires, add a late round pick. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I wouldnt give a 2nd. I think a 3rd at most. They would probably be happy to offload him. While they can cut him this offseason with little cap implication, they would likely be happy with gaining another 3rd round pick.

More ideally for me though, would be to just swap him and hurts. If it requires, add a late round pick. 

So, you're saying Goff, for Hurts ... and a 5th?

See the source image

Just now, Alphagrand said:

So, you're saying Goff, for Hurts ... and a 5th?

See the source image

Id rather a straight swap. Maybe a 6th or 7th if you really must.

Just now, downundermike said:

I would prefer if they took Reagor as well

Thats asking for too much!

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I would prefer if they took Reagor as well

I'd give Reagor and a pick away just to get rid of him. He's done in Philly there's no turning it around. 

Archived